• Published 25th May 2014
  • 780 Views, 30 Comments

The Day of Endless Writing - Bootsy Slickmane



A collection of short stories, about anything and anypony, all written within one 24-hour span of time. Topics and characters vary wildly.

  • ...
1
 30
 780

12: Archer is Best Background Filly [Slice of Life]

"Snips, are you ready to present your oral report to the class?" Cheerilee said in a manner befitting her name.

"Certainly, Miss Cheerilee," Snips replied, strutting up to the front of the class. He cleared his throat and held up a piece of paper in his borderline-anemic magical grasp. "'Why Archer is Best Background Filly.'"

The whole class fell into murmurs, mutters, and mumbles for a few seconds, many eyes going to the filly that the report was titled after. Cheerilee shushed them, and Snips went on.

"Archer is a filly in my class. She has a blue mane and a blue coat that is lighter than her mane. She is my best friend, and an all-around good pony. She's never late to class, and is always polite, and always shares her lunch when I forget my own. Her eyes are the color of moderately-old eggplants that are still good to eat if you cook them right."

The filly in question slid deeper and deeper into her seat as the other ponies around her giggled and snickered.

Snips continued, "Although you may not think it to look at her grades, Archer is actually really smart. She just lets a lot of her school work go without putting much effort in. This is not because she's lazy, though, but because she always puts her friends and family first. When a friend needs her help, support, or even just her company, she's there for them. She's weather any storm for her friends, but that's not what makes her the best background filly.

"Archer is also brave and strong. She has to be strong for her friends, because sometimes they aren't strong, so she has to be strong for them. But that still isn't what makes her the best background filly.

"You see, Archer isn't the most popular filly in Ponyville, or even her class. She stays in the background, like the trees in a forest or the grass in a park. Only a few will really notice her, but those who do will see that there is more to those trees, more to that grass, and more to Archer than they might first think. But that's still not what makes her the best background filly."

Snips turned his paper around, sniffling ever-so-slightly. "What makes her the best is her modesty, because she knows all of these things and more about herself, but she doesn't go around showing it off. She stays in the background, and she doesn't mind that nopony pays her much attention. She's happy to make her few friends happy, and we're overjoyed to have her by our side. She's the best friend any sane pony could want, and nopony could ever take her place in our hearts. That's what makes Archer the best background filly. Thank you."

Snips returned to his seat to a moderate amount of applause. He gave a nervous glance over to the blue filly across the room, and Archer gave him a smile in return.