• Published 24th May 2014
  • 4,216 Views, 102 Comments

Cheese Pie Cake - Derpator



Cheese Sandwich doesn't consider his own birthday to be more special than the happy faces he encounters. After getting a doozy pointing him to Ponyville, it might shock everyone with who he happens to share the same birthday with.

  • ...
4
 102
 4,216

Chapter 3 - A party for two

Cheese Sandwich was starting to think that coming to Ponyville was a mistake. Pinkie Pie kept staring at him like he had no soul, her eyes sending a shiver right down his spine. If she didn’t do anything soon, he feared something bad might happen.

He came to Ponyville from the doozy. Ok, just like normal. Of course, he wasn’t expecting Pinkie Pie to be the lucky mare this day either, but what has happened is done and dusted.

But that was the thing. Its Pinkie Pie’s birthday, so why is this happening? He tried to think about it, why Pinkie Pie looked so down. Was it truly her screaming earlier? Does her current mood have anything to do with what he heard about last year? And also important, why are there locks on her windows?

He needed answers, and he needed them now! If this prolonged, he’d only feel more hurt at Pinkie Pie’s apparent sorrow with each passing moment. He desperately wanted her to be happy, regardless of it being her birthday. He didn’t like seeing her like this.

He tried something out, moving closer towards the pink mare, hoping she’d do something. He wanted to comfort her, whatever the problem was. He wanted to sit next to her, stroke her mane and tell her everything was alright. He wanted to so desperately...

But he didn’t know if he could. He still needed the reason she was like this in the first place. It couldn’t be too bad, considering the day that it is.

As he was lost in his thoughts, he heard a voice calling him back. He froze in place at the familiar sound. “Cheese?” He heard it. Pinkie Pie just called him. He snapped to, seeing that Pinkie Pie had finally done something.

“Cheese, is that you?” she asked, more heart put into it. She rubbed her eyes with her hooves, checking to see if the stallion in front of her was actually just a figment of her imagination. She stared at him more, before her irises started to shrink, positive of the answer to her own question. “Cheese!”

Cheese Sandwich didn’t have any time to react, as Pinkie Pie lunged from her bed and latched herself onto him, her hooves wrapping around him. He could feel the heat coming to him as soon as the soft hooves soothed across his skin, rather than his clothes, bringing him ever closer towards her.

He looked down at her head, nuzzling into his neck, giving it her all. It was so heart-warming to see this change of action. It truly was. Pinkie Pie didn’t look sad anymore, but she was really showing affection. He couldn’t bear it.

He couldn’t control himself, as he returned the hug, moving his own hoof around the mare. He felt her soft fur on her back, her flesh a little squidgy, but nice altogether. He lowered his head to place on top of hers, parts of her curly mane trailing up across his face. As he gave in to the hug more, he felt Pinkie Pie doing the exact same.

His smile was back, and he was very certain Pinkie Pie was feeling the same.

“It really is you...” he heard the mare say, sighing shortly afterwards, still buried in his neck. As she spoke, he felt the warm air of breath touching his fur. While warm, it was nice to feel.

He now knew precisely what to say. “Happy birthday Pinkie.”

Pinkie Pie gasped, lifting her head away to face him again. He could finally see how she was feeling, and it wasn’t negative.

A smile was plastered all across her face, her eyes dazzling and pretty as always. Whatever had gotten her down; it had seemed to be revoked at his presence. Or at least, he hoped it had.

For a brief moment, he thought he could see tears in her eyes. But he knew that if they were real, they weren’t tears of sadness. No, they were tears of joy. She was happy he was there. And so was he.

“How did you know?” she asked, her face full of hope.

“My cheesy sense was tingling. It told me of a party in Ponyville. I got into town, and I found out just whose birthday it was.” He brought her back in for another hug, after a brief chuckle. “It’s rather confusing actually. I would have thought you’d have been outside with everypony on your special day.”

He did not know if he said the right thing, as Pinkie Pie seemed to loosen her hooves around him. Whatever he said, it wasn’t ideal. But then again, he didn’t know what got her down in the first place.

Pinkie Pie broke all the connection she had with Cheese Sandwich, and climbed back onto her bed. She didn’t go back to her previous state of depression, but something was bothering her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked the mare, deeply concerned.

She took a few seconds, before facing him. “They won’t let me set up my own party.”

He took a moment to reel in that information. It was all coming to him. The protesting, pulling her into Sugarcube Corner to prevent helping. Applejack a guard at her bedroom, while the windows were locked, to prevent escape into the town. How had he not seen this coming? How had he not pieced it together already?

The problem itself might have seemed selfish, but he could identify with it. It certainly wasn’t the first time he’d seen this. Her friends didn’t want her planning her own party on her own day; they wanted to do it for her. Pinkie Pie, being the ecstatic party pony she is, would want to set up her own party, but her friends didn’t agree. They’re doing this for her benefit.

He’d seen this behaviour before. A few times actually. The pony whose birthday it was wanted to help set up their own party, but the friends didn’t allow them. It was an act of kindness, friendship. They didn’t mean to block the birthday pony away, but they really meant the best.

He knew that if Pinkie Pie was out and about on her own birthday, she’d set up the entire party mostly by herself, while her friends would feel left out, perhaps even worthless that they didn’t get an input. They certainly mean well, and having Pinkie Pie isolated in her room while they set up everything isn’t their best decision, but they’re acting as selfless as they can.

But there was a difference. It was Pinkie Pie’s birthday, a party pony. Of course it was her passion to set up parties, and her friends taking her out of the action temporarily was understandable, but she still was determined. She was sad, because she couldn’t help. Having what she loved taken away from her, on her birthday no less, took its toll hard. And her friends knew it as well, feeling uneasy about it just as much as her.

He knew what to do. From the quick observations he made around the town outside earlier, he estimated it could take hours before everything was set up. That meant Pinkie Pie being down for all that time. He would guess that Applejack comes in every now and then to cheer her up anyway, Pinkie Pie possibly trying to escape each time too, but this needed his immediate attention.

“Pinkie,” he said, now with more confidence, “You plan parties for everypony in town all the time. I understand why you’re upset. But don’t you think that on your birthday, you should let your friends set it up?”

Pinkie Pie looked like she took in the question. She only faced him again.

“I know you mean well Pinkie, but even party ponies have to take a break.”

“...I guess.”

Cheese Sandwich sighed inside. He knew he was on the right track, and he had a good idea of how to cheer her up. If she couldn’t go to the party, then he’d bring the party to her. For any pony, he’d help set up the party if it was already in progress, or start from scratch if it wasn’t. He was comfortable with either. He knew Pinkie Pie’s friends wouldn’t want her to leave her bedroom until it was all set up, and he didn’t want to leave her either.

So there was a good option.

“I think I have an idea,” he said out loud, deliberately.

“Hmm?” The pink mare stared at him blankly.

He trotted over towards the locked windows, the town of Ponyville underneath. He checked it out, estimating from his standpoint how long it’d take for the ponies to finish. He could spot Rainbow Dash in the distance, now wearing a construction hat, seeming to give orders regarding a nearby crane. A bit further, a giant blown-up balloon of the pink mare herself was floating in the sky. And even after a short time, buildings were covered in decorations themselves. The entire town looked like they wanted to celebrate the birthday of one Pinkamena Diane Pie.

He grinned. “What we’re going to do...” he said, still peeping out the window, “...is have our own party right here.”

He turned his head around periodically, to be met with the look he was expecting. Confusion. “Huh?”

He gazed back out of the window. “It could take hours for them to finish, even with my help. I don’t want you in here for all that time alone. So, we’re going to have a party, just the two of us, right here and now.”

Pinkie Pie gasped, leaning in a bit. “You mean that?”

Cheese Sandwich nodded his head. “I do.”

He continued to look out of the window, but the mare grabbed his attention quickly, as she had rushed over and grabbed the posterior region of his body in her hooves, binding her hooves across his barrel, while resting her head flat above his rump. “Thank you thank you thank you!”

He went tingly at the feeling straight away, his body even jolting. He felt flushed from the sudden grabbing, but that wasn’t all. There was an empty weight on his back now than there was a few seconds ago, as Boneless Two fell off his body from the miniature tremor. The chicken descended to the ground, creating a squeak sound as it collided with it.

He would pick the chicken back up, but Pinkie Pie was currently occupying the back portion of his body. His memory trailed off to a party he hosted a few years ago. There was a mare complimenting him left and right, but he decided to talk with Boneless at times. Another stallion had come up to him during that conversation, and dragged him away privately.

He tried to remember what he had heard. It was something to do with blocking. If he could recall, the phrase he found out later came out to be ‘chicken blocking’, although the stallion called it something else. He didn’t know why the stallion didn’t just call Boneless a chicken, but the other word was technically correct too. He was even more befuddled at why the stallion got mad at him.

He’s had many strange encounters along his travels and parties. Hopefully, this day would add something different to that, primarily fun.

“Uh, Pinkie?” he said, breaking the quiet between them, as Pinkie Pie remained clamped to his body.

In a flash, Pinkie Pie jumped off the stallion, a few spots of red emerging on her cheeks. “Oops, sorry.”

He laughed, bending down to pick up Boneless Two. “It’s ok.” He now turned to face the other occupant of the room. “So, what do you have? Any party games?”

“I do, but first...” Pinkie Pie raced off towards her wardrobe, where she flipped the doors open, a device inside becoming visible. Cheese Sandwich recognised the device, seeing it before. His smile grew, as Pinkie Pie pulled out her party cannon. Facing it towards the openness of her bedroom, she readied it in a suitable position. Without a doubt in her mind, she pressed down on the firing button.

A blast of confetti and streamers shot across the bedroom, covering it at almost every angle. Pinkie Pie laughed almost too menacingly afterwards, a slight snort also coming out unintentionally, before propping it up against a wall. She bounced up and down, enjoying the surrounding bedroom that had now been ‘Pinkielised’.

Cheese Sandwich felt something missing from his head. He poked his hoof above his scalp, missing the outline of a hat. He glanced down; spotting that the hat had fallen off from the result of the cannon blast. His poncho had also caught a few decorations in the cloak. He couldn’t help but laugh at the scenery the same as the pink mare did.

He decided to take off his poncho and leave it next to the hat. He wouldn’t likely be leaving the bedroom for a few hours, so he figured why not. Taking extra caution to position Boneless Two up against the wall, he rubbed his hooves together in excitement.

“So then, what party games shall we play?” he asked, a lot more glee present in his voice, as well as a smile that almost rivalled Pinkie Pie’s.

Pinkie Pie happily continued her active spring, as she went over towards a nearby dresser. Opening a few drawers, she took no trouble in pulling out a whole variety of objects. Some of them were board games he recognised or heard about, while others he knew were various party activities. He looked over a couple of specific items: a poster and a lock of hair with a pin. Pin the tail on the pony, he thought, a classic.

The drawer was now empty. Instead, all of its previous contents were scattered across the floor, Pinkie Pie sat behind them all. She went through them all individually, one by one, to see which game was the best opener for the pair.

“Aha!” she exclaimed, presenting a large boxed game in front of her. Cheese Sandwich rubbed his chin, looking at the front cover.

“Snakes and ladders...” he whispered to himself, considering it. It wasn’t the best party game, but it was a game nonetheless, even rather enjoyable, and it was certain to excite Pinkie Pie. “Why not?”


[/hr]

There were many games placed on top of one another in a corner. Box after box was toppled on top of the next, as the pair made their way through each game. There were victories and there were defeats for both sides.

And if Cheese Sandwich hadn’t admitted it only after a few games they began, he admitted it now. This was some of the best fun he’s ever had. Him and Pinkie Pie alone, spending time together. He kept getting this feeling throughout their everlasting session, telling him to enjoy it to its fullest.

He felt comfortable. He was proud to be where he was. Something was telling him that perhaps Pinkie Pie was feeling the same. He wanted to carry on with their games forever, but he knew Ponyville would be ready for the mare at any time.

Hours must have gone by from their fun. He didn’t keep track, and neither did she. They were both too mesmerised to care. The way they saw it; if they constantly kept an eye on the time, it would only let them know how limited their fun would become.

Their latest game had only lasted a few minutes, but it was a very nice game of Go Fish. Cheese thought so, while Pinkie found fault at something. “You shouldn’t have let me win” she said with a frown, while Cheese Sandwich put the cards back in the deck.

“I know,” he replied, placing the deck in the corner with the others games. “But you looked so happy. Besides, it’s your birthday. I couldn’t resist.”

Pinkie Pie’s cheeks reddened slightly, even forcing her to look away from the stallion, if only briefly. “So,” he said, rubbing his hooves together in excitement again, “What’s next?”

Pinkie Pie pondered over it for a minute, checking out the few remaining games they had yet to tackle. With a gasp, she grabbed a nearby spinner, looking at it in front of her, testing it out.

He raised an eyebrow. A spinner game then, he thought. It wasn’t a new concept to him, but there were many games that used one.

When Pinkie Pie placed the spinner down to the side of them both, he knew it instantly. The word of the game itself was plastered on it, while the multi-coloured circles bordered it. There were four separate sections on the spinner, each identifying as a separate leg.

Twister.

He blushed just from the thought alone of it. He and Pinkie Pie were about to play Twister? Their bodies passing over one another, attempting to stand up? Why did he feel like he wanted to play this game right from the beginning, and yet at the same time feel so scared about it?

The game was proven correct, as Pinkie Pie pulled out a white mat shortly after. Cheese Sandwich lifted himself off the ground and backed up, as Pinkie Pie unfolded the mat. His suspicions were all true, as the mat was indeed representing the game right in front of him.

Four columns of six, each containing a separate colour, all of them going down in a line. The same colours on the spinner. He gulped, before Pinkie Pie looked at him. “Do you want to go first?”

His eyes darted to meet her look. Her smile was broadening on the biggest he’d ever seen come from her. It was impossible to turn down the game, even if he had jitters. He checked out the mat, then the spinner, before landing fully on Pinkie Pie. With a confident look, he said, “Mares first.”

“Okie dokie lokie!” Pinkie Pie leant down at the spinner, before performing the basic action of turning it. The spinner rotated, holding the answer to where Pinkie Pie would have to put one of her hooves. Both of the ponies stared at the plastic, before it came to a halt.

“Right foreleg green,” she proclaimed, before following suit with her hoof, placing it on a green circle from her already designated starting point. Looking proud and keeping her positive attitude, she eagerly faced Cheese Sandwich, ready for the stallion to make his move. “Your turn.”

With minor hesitation, he went ahead and followed the action that Pinkie Pie had performed a little while ago, sending the spinner rotating, sealing the fate for one of his legs. The spinner stopped, pointing towards a different colour and limb altogether. “Left hind leg red” he heard her say, speaking out the position he’d have to adjust to. With the last traces of escape gone away, he properly set the correct leg onto a red circle, prompting Pinkie Pie to set the spinner again.


[/hr]

Many many turns had gone by, and every move after the next made their positions ever more awkward. As there were only two of them, one of them had to turn the spinner whenever it was somepony’s turn. Many times, both of them looked like they were struggling just to reach it. In their constantly changing positions too, it only made it harder.

They did not stop playing. They would only stop when one of them tumbled. Form their current position, it could mean both good and bad. Pinkie Pie, in her current state, had to face upwards just to keep balanced. Her four legs were spread all across the mat, a few of them tangled with Cheese Sandwich’s.

The stallion was perched over her, only able to look down and see her below him, enjoying every single second of their game. It was his turn, and there was no way he’d be able to reach the spinner from the way his hooves were caught with Pinkie Pie’s. He felt rather awkward, right on top of Pinkie Pie, but he couldn’t help admiring her features.

He couldn’t deny the fact. Pinkie Pie looked beautiful.

Staring down at her long enough had told him that. Pinkie Pie attempted to move a hoof caught with his towards the spinner, to find where he’d move to next. She was having a tough time reaching it, grunting in her attempt. But even in her struggle, she was laughing from their fun.

She leant her body more towards the hoof reaching towards the spinner, hoping to get it. However, she ended up moving another hoof in the process, pulling on Cheese Sandwich’s right by it. She quickly lost her balance, and pulled the stallion down with her as she collapsed to the ground.

She let out a scream as she fell, before she landed on the mat, Cheese Sandwich landing on top of her. She started to giggle again, him joining in very quickly.

He could feel the giggles from Pinkie Pie, her chest expanding with every one. It was a cute, rhythmic vibration on his own chest.

“It seems I lost” she said, in-between laughing at her own misfortune.

It took them both a while to calm down their laugh session, before they both took a sigh, looking into each other’s eyes. Neither of them moved from where they were; Cheese Sandwich was still on top of Pinkie Pie. He saw her opening her mouth, revealing her white pearls to him. “Hi there.”

The voice was quiet. It was quiet, but calling. If he didn’t know any better, it had the tiniest hint of sultry to it. He saw her lowering her eyelids very slightly, causing him to feel flushed right away.

It lasted a few seconds, before there was real movement between the pair. He felt the mare moving her hoof as slowly as she could, reaching over his side. It was very gradually stroking through his fur, motioning a circle through it, not having a prefixed destination.

He froze up. A part of his mind was telling him to run for it, whilst another was telling him to carry on. He didn’t know what to do. His eyes were fixated at the blue gems below him, belonging to the beautiful creature of Pinkie Pie.

He didn’t know how long it lasted, but it ended abruptly when a few knocks came at the door. Pinkie Pie acted fast, dropping what she was doing. Cheese Sandwich knew what to do, which was getting off of the pink mare.

He got off her enough so that he was sat up, while Pinkie Pie remained lying on the ground. “Come in” she spoke, inviting whoever it was in.

The door creaked open, the head of a mare poking around it shortly afterwards. It was Applejack, the guard. When she saw the scene before her, she knew it was a good thing Cheese Sandwich had come by. She had a feeling that if he was around, Pinkie Pie wouldn’t be sad anymore. That is why she never knocked and interrupted the pair, unless she heard something as loud as an argument. It was also evidenced from the huge stack of games in the corner and the confetti filled room.

“We’re ready,” the cowpony said, before retreating back through the door.

Cheese Sandwich looked back towards Pinkie Pie, who gasped. “It’s time!” she exclaimed, clapping her hooves together. He did the noble thing, helping her sit up by pulling her hoof with his own. “Thanks Cheese.”

She remained sitting there, almost ready to bounce whilst on the floor, the stallion’s hoof still attached with her own. “Let’s go!” She went to move, but paused in her attempt. She looked back at the stallion, then at his hoof. “Uh Cheese, can I have my hoof back?” she asked in a very cute way.

“Hmm?” His eyes widened when he saw what they were doing. “Oh, sorry.” He gulped as he watched her get up off the floor, thinking of why he hadn’t released her hoof when he should have, a blush coming over him at the same time.

He got up on his legs as well, ready to face the town. He had no idea at all how long he’d been with Pinkie Pie in her bedroom, but all the ponies outside must have finished setting up. He wasn’t a critic, but he’d be sure to analyse how good of a job they made without the involvement of a party planner.

He smiled. He loved the time he had just spent with Pinkie Pie.

He watched as Pinkie Pie bounced over towards her bedroom door, waving him over right afterwards. “Come on Cheese, let’s go!”

Author's Note:

My. Heart. Exploded.

Also, Boneless is best chicken blocker.

Chicken blocker is now canon too.