• Published 24th May 2014
  • 4,210 Views, 102 Comments

Cheese Pie Cake - Derpator



Cheese Sandwich doesn't consider his own birthday to be more special than the happy faces he encounters. After getting a doozy pointing him to Ponyville, it might shock everyone with who he happens to share the same birthday with.

  • ...
4
 102
 4,210

Chapter 1 - Doozy in the desert

“Another town... Another party...”

The stallion head down the road, from yet another satisfied bunch of ponies. His title of ‘Party Pony’ certainly didn’t disappoint, giving the ponies of Dodge Junction a time they wouldn’t forget anytime soon. He blew on his party horn, just listening to the still partying ponies behind him, certain he’d be welcome back anytime soon.

“Well Boneless Two, another job well done” he spoke out to the rubber chicken perched on his back, feeling the breeze pass him.

He stopped and turned, to get one last good look at his work. Ponies he could spot, dancing in rhythm to music, conversing with each other. It brought a smile to his face, before blowing into his party horn once more and rearranging his hat, before continuing on his way.

“Where shall we be off to next...?” he wondered out loud. He took in his surroundings, the last beams of sunlight shining down the road he was travelling. He would soon have to make camp, somewhere preferably off the main path.

The desert was silent, except for the collision of hooves with dirt, as Cheese Sandwich had made his way across the landscape over a few hours. The light was gone, leaving only the sounds of crickets and his gentle breathing in the night, the occasional tumbleweed strolling pass with the cold air. He looked up into the night sky as he wandered, spotting all sorts of star assortments.

He came across a small alcove in a small mountain, before considering staying there for the night. He checked it out, before finding no traces of any ponies or dangerous creatures at all. He relaxed, sighing as he took a seat in the cave formation, taking off his clothes.

He laid the poncho down, finally taking the time to check out the button made especially for him. Taking it in his hooves, he heard the metal pin clink as he brought it closer, the number becoming clearer. That pony was very nice for making it for him, considering his birthday was tomorrow. She had wished him a happy birthday in advance, even offering him to stay for the day, but he insisted he had to be on his way, though he remained grateful.

Sometimes though, he truly wished he could stay in one location for a special event. A week. Even a weekend. It was sad to leave the partying ponies behind after his job was done, but it was how he worked. The smiles on their faces and the claims that the party he threw was the best one ever was all he needed to hear, before setting off to please another crowd.

But still, he got rather envious of some ponies. After he ran away, he never stayed in one place. Just once, he’d like to see what it was like to live consistently in a suburban area. He came across the odd pony every now and then on his travels, sometimes even another party pony. They would share their stories, indulging in conversation for hours before either had to move. But out of all of those party ponies he met, there was only one who remained in one place.

Pinkie Pie.

He found that she was a rather tricky pony to analyse. Where to even begin?

The fact that she was the reason he found his calling in life? The idea of being friends with the entire town all the time? He had many friends, but not on her scale.

Or maybe, how he felt his cheesy heart melt when he saw her again. He only met her again for the one day, but that one day stuck with him afterwards. Why did he think so much of it? He certainly had a blast, especially when he was goofing off.

But every party he threw after he left Ponyville after that day felt different. He couldn’t place it perfectly, but meeting Pinkie Pie after such a long time changed something. His parties, while still grand, felt something was lacking. He never felt that way before seeing her. Ever.

So why did it bother him so much?

He lost himself in thought, the pink pony somehow coming to him like always. Was it normal to think of her often? To see her broad smile mirroring his? Her cute pink figure? Does he really want to see her again? Does he want her to be at every party he throws?

He still looked in confusion, as he continued to set up his bed for the night. He sat Boneless Two up in a free space next to him, allowing the chicken to have plenty of room for the night. He laid the poncho containing his birthday badge down, aligning it with precision. He started humming to himself, getting ready for bed.

He was almost done, when he felt something. “Hmm?” There was a feeling coming to him. It was a regular feeling; coming every few days. He gasped, knowing instantly what it was.

His body started to wobble, as the Cheese Sense came to him. It was certainly a doozy, as he found himself jumping into the air from the tingly feeling, the party horn falling from his mouth in the process. “Oooh” he exclaimed, before landing back on the ground.

He was so used to his strange power, that he could recognise the town he received the signal from. This time was no different, as he recognised that distinct feeling. “Ponyville...?” he asked nopony in particular, raising an eyebrow.

He walked over towards the entrance of the alcove, gazing into the distance. “Well Boneless Two, it seems we have our new destination.” He curled up a portion of his lip, before narrowing his eyes, looking into the night dramatically. “Ponyville.”

There was silence for a brief moment, a gust of wind passing, as he allowed Boneless Two to soak in that information. He let the time pass, before he lost his concentrated thought, the result from a yawn. “Tomorrow that is.” He gave off a chuckle, before heading back inside, resting down into his sleeping position.

So Ponyville was his next destination? It was ok with him; it must have been a few weeks since he was last there. Tomorrow was his birthday too, which called for an even bigger party. He always considered his own birthday just another day, although he didn’t ignore it either. He preferred to make other ponies happy before himself, even if it was his birthday.

But what would await him in Ponyville? Perhaps another pony who shares the same birthday as him? He never had a feeling of another pony in Ponyville sharing the same birthday before, so he would just have to find out.

And even better, he’d be able to see Pinkie Pie again, on his birthday no less.

The rubber chicken fell down and formed a squeaking sound as it hit the ground. “Goodnight Boneless Two” he said, yawning as he did so. He rearranged himself comfortably, ready for sleep.

He soon drifted off to sleep, all thoughts of the party he’d plan the next day, while images of the pink mare barged their way into his imagination at the same time.

And the weird thing is, he didn’t mind.