• Published 5th Apr 2012
  • 6,901 Views, 188 Comments

Techno-Babble in Equestria - LucidTech



Inventor escapes post apocalyptic earth and arrives in Equestria.

  • ...
24
 188
 6,901

Chapter Five

(Okay, So I feel this needs a little explaining, the reason I am doing such short chapters so often is because I am trying to work on my chapter length through gradual improvement.)

After his relaxing glide down from Canterlot, Inventor ended up on the ground a fair distance from Ponyville. With a smile the inventor tapped the metal panel on his back to click his wings closed again. “Good to see that basic constants, such as air resistance, and the such remain the same cross dimensionally, though I do feel like the gravitational constant is closer to 10 as opposed to 9.8 in this world, could be my imagination in that regard though since I may be suffering from some form of psychological condition where I’m looking for something so hard that I think I can see it.”

“Then again perhaps the gravitational pull is the same but the constant to Newton’s third law has been degraded, Though I highly doubt that as it would lead cause to infer that several things I have seen are completely impossible. Although, with the addition of magic perhaps you can get away with things like that.” Inventor shrugged, deciding to drop the topic for now and started on his way towards the town.

Inventor walked an old worn dirt road in the direction of Ponyville, the entire area around Ponyville was pretty much flat, with the only exception being the mysterious forest that seemed to curve around the edge of the town like a crescent moon. “What an odd forest, was it grown like that magically I wonder? Seems like a weird shape.” Inventor commented to the air as he recalled the view of it from Canterlot.

Slowly the madman’s view drifted skyward as he watched the clouds move slowly across the sky, his view was obstructed when he saw a streak of cyan shoot past a cloud. Remembering the world for being inhabited by multi-colored ponies he shouted up to it. “Hello!” The cyan streak didn’t seem to notice as it continued on. Inventor paused for a moment as he looked to see the direction the streak was heading in. “Well, I hope you find whatever you need in Canterlot then.” Inventor said as he lowered his eyes once more in the direction of Ponyville.

With a shrug Inventor continued his slow, relaxing stroll to Ponyville. The sun had just began to set as Inventor meandered along, the air slowly began to smell vaguely of fresh apples as he approached, this caused Inventor’s smile to appear once again. “I haven’t had food in a while, I’m going to need to start since my replacement energy source isn’t able to utilize the excess energy of the fallout radiation.”

He thought about this for a moment before he continued “I wonder if I could alter it so that it utilizes the residual magic left in the air by the unicorns and alicorns, then again, the only reason I built it in the first place was due to lack of food, now that I have food available I won’t need to redo that annoying counterbalance engine.” Inventor sighed as he broke out of his reverie and turned his attention to the town in the distance. “Even if I rest for the night I should still make it to town by morning I thi-” Inventor was interrupted as he abruptly fell into a pitfall trap.

Picking himself up off the bottom of the pit he shook his head a few times, looking around his impromptu prison Inventor discovered that the walls were much too steep and loose for him to climb. “Professionally dug pitfall? Yup, that’s a new one.” Inventor said as he shifted his gaze to the lower sides of the tunnel, as he looked around the circular pit his gaze fell upon a nearby small tunnel that had been dug through the dirt and off to a location in the forest. “Very professional pitfall.” Inventor said, with a shrug the madman set off down the tunnel.

After a few minutes of wandering through the dark tunnel he came into an opening with a shallow rectangular pit over which rested a covering of criss-crossed poles. Light flickered a little ways away from the pit and Inventor could hear gruff voices. Looking over to a corner he saw a small orange pegasus with a violet mane shuddering violently.

As Inventor approached her his heavy footfalls caused her to flinch. “It’s okay, It’s okay, I am not here to hurt you.” The filly uncurled a little at the comforting tone of his voice, her eyes remained shut tight in pain. “What’s the matter, where’s the pain?”

The filly managed to get out a single word, “Hungry.” Inventor’s eyes flicked to her now exposed stomach as he realized he could see the ribs against her skin. With horror he looked around the small containment looking for some form of food. He saw a slab of meat in the opposite corner but, with ponies being herbivorous, that would do no good.

“Hey!” Inventor shouted “This filly needs food!” He was hoping to get the attention of whatever idiotic kidnappers these ponies were. What leaned over the pit was not a pony, rather it was an odd humanoid dog.

“You weird mister pony.” the brute said as it looked at its newest capture.

“We don’t have time for how I look you dense brute. This pony needs to be fed.” Inventor shouted at the muscular humanoid.

“Pony won’t eat anything we throw down there, just a waste of good meat” The dog responded.

“She’s herbivorous you thick canine, she only eats plants.” Inventor responded impatiently. They had just thrown random food into a cage with a pony and hadn’t bothered to ask her what kind of food she ate.

“Oh” came the response of the dog as he moved out of Inventor’s line of sight. Inventor was about to yell at the dog to come back when he heard a loud cacophony coming from off to his right, the dog returned a few minutes with a bush, roots and all, in his grasp. He dropped it into the pit and then went back over to the fire.

Inventor grabbed the bush and tore off a single branch, he brought the branch back over to the filly who hadn’t moved the entire engagement. He lowered the branch in front of her and she sniffed it, after a second or two of smelling the plant the filly bit eagerly into the leaves and began to chew them, after her third mouthful Inventor pulled the branch away.

The filly silently protested at this act before Inventor leaned in close to her ear, “Do you think you can run?” The filly responded with a shake of her head as the pain from talking was still too much. “Oh well, guess I’ll have to carry you then.” Inventor replied as he scooped her up in his left arm and held her close to his chest. She was lighter then Inventor expected.

As she settled near his body she managed to get out a few words through her clenched teeth. “What’s your name?”

Inventor smiled at the filly even though she couldn’t see it, “My name is Inventor and I’m going to get us both out of this ridiculous jail.” With a pause Inventor turned his gaze up to the crisscrossing felled plantlife above them. “Semi-fibrous plant structure of the poles in addition to the poor quality of the string binding would lead me to the meaning that a single blow to the weakest point in this crude, makeshift grid would easily shatter the entire thing.”

Inventor laughed to himself as his eyes gazed across the ceiling of the haphazard trap. “Professional diggers, children with crayons when it comes to anything else.” Inventor said as he found what he was looking for, “But then, what would you expect from such a substandard intelligence.” With a purposeful stride Inventor moved to the position nearer to the opposite side of the cage.

With one last glance around the cage Inventor reached into his bag and pulled out a worn-out metal hammer. With as mighty a swing as Inventor could manage with one hand holding a filly to his chest he swung the hammer at the spot he had noticed earlier, The effect was instantaneous, the entire thing collapsed as his hammer made contact.

Inventor turned his body to protect the filly from any falling debris. Once the crashing noise had stopped Inventor immediately jumped out of the pit, barely making it with the filly in his arm, but by planting the sharp end of his hammer in the dirt in front of him he managed to pull himself and the filly out.

Inventor didn’t wait to be followed, he immediately broke into a run, quickly throwing his hammer into his bag. Using a guesstimate of how far he had drifted off to the side in the underground tunnel as well as what direction he needed to head in, Inventor made a beeline for where he expected Ponyville to be. As he ran the man jumped several bushes to avoid getting tangled in any greenery, the crash of that self same greeny several minutes late indicated that he was being chased.

As he broke through the treeline Ponyville came into view, at the same time he looked into the sky and took note of the full moon that hung in the middle of the dark blue sky, “Beautiful as always Luna, never change.” Inventor said to himself with a smile as he continued to run.

As Inventor ran desperately for Ponyville the sounds of being chased continued to follow him and they seemed to be gaining, at one point the bipedal human looked back to see how close his pursuers actually were, it was at this point that one who was only meters behind him jumped to tackle him to the ground. Seconds before it hit him a light blue cyan streak blurred through the air and hit the humanoid dog in the side.

All the other pursuing dogs stopped at the sight but Inventor continued to run, he needed to get this filly to a hospital before her situation got any worse. The madman made a forward glance to search the town for some kind of medical building before he looked back again and called over his shoulder “Thank you!” to the pegasus who now floated between the diamond dogs and the town.

With a nod in his direction the mare turned her attention back to the diamond dogs with a brash statement of, “Who wants a piece of the fastest flier in Equestria next?” The last thing Inventor saw of the confrontation was a stand off as he ran around a corner.

A minute or two later Inventor found the hospital and ran desperately to the door, running through the door Inventor ran up to the reception desk, panting. “Please,” he said to the wide eyed mare, “Help her.” The mares eyes went from fear to caring in a split second.

“Nurse Redheart, we need you, stat” the mare called over the intercom with urgency, before turning a look of appreciation toward Inventor. Inventor could tell that she wanted to say something, but she remained silent as she thought over her words.

The next few moments went by in a blur as the nurse came in and took the filly to ER, After several moments of silence after that the mare at the reception desk finally gathered enough courage to speak up, addressing Inventor. “I don’t know what exactly you are, but I want to thank you for bringing in Scootaloo.”

“Her name is Scootaloo?” Inventor asked as he ignored the statement about what he was. With a glance to the receptionist Inventor raised an eyebrow, the receptionist paused for a moment, afraid to confirm the man’s suspicion now that it was put to her, deciding that she could trust this weird creature the receptionist nodded. Inventor continued “Do you need me to go do anything for you? Go tell her parents where she is or anything?”

A sad smile came to her face as she spoke “If you could go tell Miss Caretaker down the road that would be great, she lives in the house three doors down you’ll recognize it immediately, it’s the only brown house on this side of the street.” With a nod to the mare Inventor left the hospital and made his way towards Miss Caretaker’s house which even now was obvious by its color alone.

When he arrived at his location he went up to the door and knocked twice, while Inventor waited for someone to answer the door he noticed a sign that sat to the side of the doorway. It designated the building as the ‘Proud Foals Orphanage.’ Inventor froze as the words hit home and the puzzle pieces fell together. The receptionist’s sad smile, how the filly had disappeared for so long with no search party. Memories of a time long long ago also began to stir behind Inventor’s mind.

The door opened and a young unicorn colt with a stark red mane and a blue coat looked up at Inventor, innocence in his eyes and voice as he said, without hesitation to the odd creature that stood just beyond the threshold, “What can I do for you, sir?” Inventor turned to the small foal with a kind smile.

“May I talk to Miss Caretaker please, I have some news for her regarding one of her charges.” Inventor said as he looked at the sign once more out of the corner of his eye. The colt nodded and shouted Miss Caretaker’s name before abandoning his position and walking away and out of sight, leaving Inventor alone at the open door.

Several minutes passed while Inventor waited, during which time his kind smile turned to one of joy as he ran over what he was planning in his head. When Miss Caretaker arrived she was stunned silent by Inventor’s appearance, this gap in the conversation allowed Inventor the first words in the conversation, “First bit of news, Scootaloo is safe and recovering in the hospital.” The orphanage host sighed with relief at this. The next question made the look disappear and replaced it with one of surprise “Secondly, I would like to adopt Scootaloo.”

(If any of the reactions to Inventor seem a little off to you I would like to point out that to RD and the receptionist he just saved a sick filly, to Miss Caretaker he doesn't actually give her any time for a reaction before telling her good news and the colt who answers the door to the orphanage is too young to think that anything is too off about the biped.)