• Published 26th May 2014
  • 4,102 Views, 83 Comments

Destiny Sparkle - Spirit Guide



One lost unicorn, one lonely man, one ancient tome. One big life adventure

  • ...
39
 83
 4,102

Storming Out

BOOM!

The attention Twilight and I were giving the Equinomicon vanished as the house shook to its foundations. We fell to the floor, the book landing on my head with a thump. I scanned the room for the cause of the sudden tremor, although I knew whatever caused it wasn't likely indoors. "What was that?" I asked Twilight, not bothering to hide the fear in my voice.

Twilight gulped, her eyes trained on the window. "We were right. It is windigos." She raised a shaky hoof and pointed outside.

I turned my gaze to the window and almost fainted. Right outside, hovering with its long pale horse-face inches from the thick window, was a windigo. Its body was encased in cloudstuff and barely-visible gusts of wind. I couldn't hear it but judging by its open mouth, it was whinnying. "Mother of Celestia," I whispered, Twilight's ear close to my mouth. "That's disturbing."

"You think so?" She raised an eyebrow at me but then looked at my head. "Steven, the Equinomicon!"

I was about to reach up and pull the book off my head, which had started shaking on its own accord, when I realized something. I turned my eyes on Twilight, regarding the slightly panicked unicorn with a mixed sense of surprise and satisfaction. Twilight looked back at me confused. "Why're you just sitting there, Steven?" she asked. "Did I say something funny? Is there something on my face?"

I didn't reply. I merely stared back at her, Twilight's face the sole item in my field of vision. The Equinomicon vibrated on my head but I ignored it. Even the sound of the windigo howling at the window were suddenly muted. All because I'd realized something Twilight had just done. Something new. Something........ good.

"You used my name."

Twilight shied back a bit as if she'd been lightly shoved. "Yeah," she admitted, looking slightly confused. "What about it?"

"It's just that you never used my name before," I reminded her.

She walked around me and started pushing me to my feet from behind, using her magic to help. "Well, I felt bad, you know, after staying with you for two nights and not knowing your name, so I tried everything I could to find out but I was sick in the morning and we spent the rest of the day talking about Equestria and how it affects you guys and I completely forgot to ask who you were." She sounded disappointed with herself. "Guess my friendship studies didn't help me here."

I nodded, squatting so I wouldn't have to raise my voice too much over the windigo din. "Makes sense, but how did you find out my name without me telling you what it was?"

Twilight pointed to the wall. "While you were gathering your thoughts, I saw your family tree. It didn't take me long to figure out where you were on it," she said with a smile. Damn, that cute smile. It needs to stay on her face where I can see it.

Turning my head, I beamed at my family tree. Who'd have thought a record of relatives would be so helpful to a guest. "Well done Twilight," I said proudly. "I'm not sure I would've told you my name even if you'd have asked."

She shrugged. "That's what you say, but I don't think so." Twilight picked up the Equinomicon and laid it open in my lap. "Oh," she said, speechless.

"O-kaaaay," I muttered.

Screw it
Just get outside to the windigos

Apparently, the book had more than just pretty words up its spine. Not bothering to argue, me and Twilight hurried out the door with the Equinomicon tucked under my arm. We stepped out into the ruined garden. The wind was blowing hard and the crumbling shrubbery turned to dust before our eyes, whipping into the air. Of the windigos themselves there was no sign.

"What do we do now?" Twilight asked, raising her voice to be heard over the wind.

I bent down and opened the book so we could both see. The previous charming lines had disappeared and in their place were new sentences, much like the ones from the other pages.

Windigos. Creatures of cold and hate
They bring about an aggressive, freezing fate
In the land of Equestria, so long ago
The Fire of Friendship dealt them a blow

But here, the Fire will be hard to find
For humans have left friendship behind
So much hate, mistrust, evil and war
(This news must have shaken you to the core)

The only way to relight the Fire
In this time which is so dire
You must find others who share your ideals
Your thoughts, behaviors, passions and feels

Together, united, in sync and en masse
Call upon a magic to bring peace that will last
From the windigos, this world you must protect
Before changing the feelings of mankind yet

To better help clean up this cold hateful mess
A secret inside will aid in your success
If the foundations of the spell are laid out just right
Help will come and assist you in the fight

——————————————————

The windigos are upon us now
It's up to the you, I've told you how
Now quick, begin and cast the spell
And save us from this stormy hell

I read the passage over, trying to understand what the Equinomicon was telling us. Twilight had her eyes glued to the page, equally baffled. She looked up at me. "I hope we can pull this off," she said nervously. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say this spell requires more than just the two of us."

"Let's hope that's not it then," I said worriedly. But her concern were understandable. In the show it took three ponies, one unicorn, one pegasus and one earth pony, who managed to overcome their differences and ignite the Fire of Friendship. We were attempting to pull of the same feat with one unicorn learned in the magic of friendship and one guy who had no friends up until a few days ago: me. It didn't look very promising

"We have to try." Putting the book down on a mound of dust that may have once been a flowering shrub, I read the spell again. "We need to stand together to get this thing going."

Twilight still looked anxious. "I don't know if our combined strength will be enough to fuel the spell," she muttered, putting her head down in defeat. Her eyes were getting wet. "I just don't know."

I sidled up beside her and put my arm around Twilight's neck, cuddling her until she looked up. "If we don't try, we'll never know," I told her quietly. "The book says that if we can start the spell, something's gonna help us. If we want that help, we need to help ourselves first."

Twilight blinked a few times, then looked up at the overly-overcast sky. "Okay then," she said, brushing a partly-formed tear from her eye. "Let's try it."

She stationed herself on one side of the book while I kneeled opposite her. Reaching out across the Equinomicon, I reached for her front hooves and grasped them. Together we sat in my ruined yard while the storm of the century raged around us in the distance. We sat there for a minute or two before we realized.... nothing was happening.

"Why's it not working?"

Twilight and I looked around, but the weather was exactly the same, although there were still no windigos, which was strange because there was one right outside the window not five minutes ago.

Twilight slumped. "We're not strong enough. The magic of friendship is too weak here to ignite the Fire within us. It's all over." Tears began to roll down her cheeks and, without asking (and without objection on my part), she threw her hooves around me in a comfort hug. I returned the gesture, gently squeezing the crying unicorn. I had to agree with her: things were looking quite hopeless. What I saw next didn't help either.

The windigo flew in from the back of the house, its ghost-like body waving behind it. It was lacking necessary facial parts, but I was positive it was smiling. Its eyes glinted evilly. Like a gust of wind, it flew around the two of us, whinnying and snorting. Finally it stopped in front of my face, staring at me with its lustrous eyes. I glared back at the winter spirit with contempt. It was then when I realized just how much I really hated them.

Arching its head back, the windigo whinnied loudly and its call echoed across the neighborhood. I can only imagine what the other humans were thinking right then and there: the end of the world was upon them. Close enough. The windigo turned its head towards the eyewall and I felt compelled to follow its gaze. What I saw freaked me out more than I already was.

Three more windigos were hovering beside the eyewall. Their gaseous bodies should have been sucked out of the eye and into the hurricane, but some Equestrian magic of sorts was holding them together. The trio of equine winter spirits raised their heads when they heard the call of their brethren. They began to fly in and out of the eyewall, back and forth through the cloudy walls. Lightning began to flash every five seconds, filling the air with the crash of thunder.

All the noise in the distance managed to rouse Twilight from her sobs. She pulled her head up and turned in the direction of the noise. Her eyes went wide as I'd ever seen them. "Oh my goodness!" she gasped. She squirmed in my arms as though she were trying to get as close to me as possible and out of sight. "What are they doing?"

I watched the horse wraiths fly back and forth, breaking through the windy barrier again and again. Then it hit me.

"They're breaking the eye open."

The conclusion we both came to at that moment was alarming. The windigos were trying to form a crack in the breezy eyewall. Such a thing could never occur naturally and may very well cause the hurricane to fill up inside the eye and start its forming all over. But by then, anything inside the previous eye will have suffered the brunt of the hurricane.

"We can't let them do that!" Twilight yelped. "If they break open the eye, everypony—sorry, everybody—will get hurt!"

"Or worse," I added in an undertone. "We have to stop them."

Twilight shivered. "We tried to use the spell, but it didn't work."

"Let's try again," I said, looking down at the frightened unicorn in my arms. "We have to stop the windigos. Otherwise, it's all over. I'll never get the chance to make some friends and you'll never get back to Equestria."

My words had an affect on Twilight. She looked up at me, her eyes were still wet but her expression was now calm. "You're right. We have to stop them." She lit her horn and picked up the Equinomicon with her magic, floating it over so we could both read it. "I'm not sure what we did wrong. We did exactly what the Equinomicon said."

I read the spell over, trying to look for something we missed. "This world is consumed by hate and doubt. We have to show that there is some love and trust left here."

"Hugs are good for that kind of thing," Twilight said, sounding more like a Care Bear than the little pony she was. "Should we try it?"

"It's not like we didn't before," I reminded, "but maybe it'll be different this time."

Twilight nodded in agreement. She drew nearer and wrapped her hooves around my chest. My arms encircled her furry coat and I lifted her off the ground, her back hooves still in the air as though she were standing on some unseen platform. She nuzzled me with her nose and I cuddled her like before, but there seemed to be a difference this time. We knew that only with our friendship could we fight the windigos. Only together would we prevail.

A pleasant warmth began to well up inside of me. I lifted my head from Twilight's mane and saw a brilliant purple aura surrounding us. It was radiating from our chests. Twilight turned her head and saw it too.

"It's working!" she cheered.

The windigo nearest us noticed the glow. It flew at us like a missile but glanced off the aura as though it were titanium. The winter spirit whinnied angrily and flew off towards the eyewall. It snorted at its kin, who turned to face us. Even from that distance, we could feel their glares.

I looked around, but so far nothing other than our aura had appeared. "We're still missing something," I whispered to Twilight.

Twilight smiled reassuringly at me. "The Equinomicon said that once we've started the spell, we'll get some help." She didn't look very worried at all. It put me at ease. Just a bit.

Then the eyewall got busted.

In a torrent of opposing air currents, three spindly tornadoes separated from the eyewall and went spinning across the land, sucking up leftover debris from the hurricane and sending them into the air. The windigos looked smugly at the destruction that began to seep back into the area.

"Dammit!" I yelled, the tornadoes' ruckus making it hard to hear myself. "They've done it now!"

"Steven, look!" Twilight hollered, pointing over my shoulder.

I spun around, still holding my friend, and looked over my fence and into the city. A pillar of light had shot up from inside the town. A tall, gleaming shaft of orange light, very much like the Elements' rainbow beam only a single color. It rose into the air until it towered over the tallest buildings.

"What is that?" I asked Twilight, excitement building up inside me.

Twilight looked proud. "Whatever it is, it's magic! The magic of friendship!"

"Seriously?" I said, disbelieving but relieved. "How is there friendship magic here?"

"I don't know," Twilight admitted, "but if it is, we can use it. I think that might be the assistance we need."

I looked again at the column of orange magic. "Okay. How do we get it here?"

"Oh." Twilight's face fell. "Didn't think about that."

Lucky for her, she didn't have to because right then the magic shaft arced over the town and streamed towards us, its tail end still somewhere in the city. The top of the orange strip of light swirled around us, adding its vibrant color to our aura. I could feel the positive energy it radiated as it merged with our spell.

"Well," I said plainly. "I guess that answers my question."

"Yep," Twilight agreed.

The windigos saw the purple-and-orange light surrounding us and made a beeline in our direction. They flew at us and waved their cerulean hooves, but they couldn't get through our magic barrier. Instead, they began to fly around us in circles. Ice began to build at the base of our shield, slowly rising.

I pointed this out to Twilight, still holding on to her vigorously, refusing to break our connection for fear of ending the spell. "They're trying to freeze us, just like they did with the tribe leaders and their assistants."

"I know, I know," Twilight said, sounding a little concerned. "Even with the other bit of magic, it's obviously not enough to summon the Fire of Friendship. And since I don't know where it came from, I don't know how we could find more before our bodies are frozen inside our shield."

"Wait," I said. "When you and the other ponies used the Elements of Harmony, they would each project a beam of light to form a rainbow, each beam the color of your coats."

Twilight nodded. "Yes."

Tightening my grip so as not to drop her, I turned my whole body towards town so that both of us could see without moving too much. The orange shaft of energy was still streaming from its unknown origin point. "If there's someone in town who is generating an orange beam of magic, most likely Applejack's element of honesty, that person has got to feel the same way as we do. There may very well be four others like that representing the other four Elements."

Twilight smiled broadly. "You know, that makes sense!" She looked out at the city. Leaves and bits of paper were beginning to fly in the gusts from the slowly-nearing tornadoes and rapid spins of the windigos. "But do you really think that there are more people who feel and think the same as us?"

"It's very possible Twilight. And I hope so."

"Me too."

The windigos' ice had risen a foot-and-a-half from the base of our magic barrier. Twilight squinted through a cloud of dust that rolled over the street. "Here comes another one, Steven!" she yelled excitedly

I looked to the left of the orange shaft and saw a shining pale-yellow light pillar erupt from a different neighborhood. It rose into the air then shot down towards me and Twilight, circling us and adding its bright color to our already vibrant spell. Our eyes were just getting used to the bright addition to the purple and orange that made up our spell when three more shafts of magic soared up from various parts of town, one pink, one white and the last one a light cerulean. They shot up and over the houses and buildings and hurtled down towards us, forcing the windigos to scatter as the three new shafts of magic merged with our shield.

Twilight jumped in my arms. "This is amazing!" she yelled over the humming of the magic bands flying around us. The five strips, orange, yellow, pink, white and blue spun on the surface of our purple dome-like shield. The windigos continued to beat at the barrier with no luck. I could feel the energy of the spell and even managed to decipher the different feelings coming from each addition: sincerity, compassion, mirth, benevolence and devotion.

I lifted Twilight and looked her in the eye. "Are we almost there?" I asked, unable to stop the grin sliding across my face.

"I have no idea!" Twilight announced gleefully. It was clear that she was consumed by the positive feeling the whole magical construct was giving off. "But if I had to make a guess, I'd say we're almost there."

I noticed the windigos' ice reaching the halfway point on our shield. Through it, I could barely make out my house or the street. "Should we be worried that the ice might encase us before the spell is complete?"

Twilight's smile slowly disappeared as she watched of five shafts of magic continue to pour themselves into the top of the dome. She looked at the ice as it inched past her eye-level. "No," she said, her voice wavering. "I'm pretty sure we'll have enough energy to summon the Fire before anything bad happens...."

The ice passed her horn-height, leaving just a foot of our shield exposed to the natural elements. Outside, more tornadoes disconnected from the eyewall and gales of wind burst from the rip. The windigos whinnied with glee as a breeze leaked into our spell and chilled the two of us. The five bands on the surface of our shield continued to encircle us but not quite as fast as before, and they appeared to be dimming. It looked as though the spell was failing.

Twilight shivered. "I don't know what to tell you, Steven," she said sadly, her grip weakening around my back. "There's only so much of our spell free of the windigos' ice. Even with the friendship magic from the other five, it's not enough to fight the hate your home world is pervaded with." And with that, she began to cry. Not like before. This time Twilight's cry was steeped with remorse. "I'm so sorry, Steven."

I held her with one arm and brushed my other hand through her mane in an attempt to calm her down. "It's not you fault, Twilight. Humans have a nature and it can't be expected to change to suit disasters." I closed my eyes and thought about the many wars that were fought over trivial matters. "They never have before."

"And now we're all going to suffer from it." We both turned our heads as the tornadoes began to dance at the edge of town, bare tree branches snapping off and stones rolling over the ground. The ice had almost entirely encased us. "I just hope the others will be fine. I can just imagine how worried they are."

The idea of Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Spike grieving over the loss of Twilight ignited something inside me. All at once, I felt that I couldn't give up and refused to surrendered myself to the icy fate creeping over us. A special warmth spread out over my chilled arms and heated up the inside of the dome. Twilight shuddered at the sudden change in temperature. "What is that?" she asked, her eyes searching desperately for the cause.

I stroked her soft mane and brought her close to my chest. "That," I said slowly, a smile flickering across my face, "is friendship."

I don't know what drove me but I bent over and kissed Twilight on the head, right beside her horn.

Any and all ice in my yard shattered spectacularly as our shield suddenly expanded outwards like a sonic wave, blowing the windigos out over the street. The second the wave of magic hit the tornadoes, they flickered and blew out like birthday candles. The breach in the hurricane began to seal up, cutting off the intense gale and bringing calm inside the eye. The five shafts of magic disconnected from their source and flowed up and out of the city, each one capped off at the end with a large notch in the beam. The shafts streamed around us, forming another larger barrier.

Twilight and I began to rise into the air, lifted off the ground by a magic other than the one we were commanding together. Finding the air beneath us solid, I kneeled so that we could face each other. Twilight looked at me, her large eyes bright with joy. "It's working," she said, putting a hoof on my knee. "I can feel the magic welling up inside of me."

"Is that what it is? And there was me thinking it was..... never mind."

We looked around at the windigos. They were flying towards us again, waving their hooves angrily. "The Fire sill hasn't ignited!" Twilight yelped.

"We got this far," I pointed out. "What more do we need to get it started?"

Twilight touched her chin thoughtfully. The windigos threw themselves against our new barrier. She smiled awkwardly. "I think I know what will finish the spell," she said quietly.

"Okay," I said, a bit intrigued by whatever had come to her mind. "What?"

Twilight reared up, closed her eyes, leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.

I could feel her lips pressing against my cheek. My vision was taken up by her vivid face, but past that I could see a flash of bright pink and the temperature went up by several degrees, leaving me even warmer than before. Not wanting to stop Twilight's....... activity, for more reasons than one, I let my eyes turn upwards. Right above our heads, burning brightly as it did all those years ago in Equestria, was the Fire of Friendship.

"Twilight," I whispered. "We did it."

She slowly loosened her grip and sat down in front of me, the both of us still hovering. "It worked?" she said in surprise.

"Yep." I nodded and pointed up. "What made you think that kissing me would light the Fire?"

"Well," she said, slightly embarrassed, "you managed to activate the next stage of the spell with a kiss to me and I reasoned that since a kiss is a symbol of ultimate friendship between two individuals, I figured it might work the other way too." She wiped her hoof across her muzzle. "Although, it wasn't too bad for the first time."

"Hmm." We looked up at the burning, heart-shaped flame. A loud shriek caught our attention and we turned around. The windigos were breaking up in its bright light, literally being blown to bits by the magic of friendship. They howled and whinnied and roared like the storm, but they were finished. In a few moments, there wasn't a trace. The windigos were gone.

The aura me and Twilight were radiating began to fade and we slowly floated to the ground. I stood up and breathed in. The air smelled sweet, like a bed of fresh roses. The hole at the top of the eye showed clear skies that looked as though they were gradually becoming larger, which must've meant—

"The hurricane is dying out!" I yelled jubilantly.

Yes. After five long days of harsh winds, endless rain and chilling cold, the Category 5 cyclone was coming to an end. People can go back to their everyday lives, children can go back to school, and everyone would be able to see their friends again. There would be a lot of cleanup work for people like me, but life would soon be back to the way it was.

Except for mine.

I turned to look at the purple unicorn pony with whom I was sharing the garden. Her eyes were gleaming with joy, her smile the brightest thing in the yard, her mane shimmering in the bright, clear, unobstructed sunlight. Twilight was staring at the rapidly-changing climate with a look of fascination and exhilaration. She ran to the fence on the right side of the garden and watched the cyclone fade into sparse gusts of wind, then to the other side to do the same thing. It was quite the sight but she was treating it like she'd never get another chance to see such a spectacle (which was probably true).

I joined her at the left wall. "We're in the clear now," I told Twilight. "Soon everything will be just right again."

Twilight turned and looked up at me. Her face was still within the description I'd given. "Except for you," she said, still smiling.

"Yeah, I guess you're right" I agreed, scratching my head and mentally counting off the major differences. "My life is probably not gonna be as quite or lonely as it was before and—"

I didn't get any further because at that same moment Twilight leapt up, threw her hooves around my head and kissed me on the lips.

My instincts kicked in. I quickly wrapped my arms around her body to keep her upright and locked lips with Twilight. Her mouth felt warm against mine and her breath smelled sweeter than I'd imagined. My vision was entirely taken up with purple but I wasn't interested in seeing anything else at the moment. My mind went fuzzy and my heart was beating like there was no tomorrow which, because of the two of us, there would be. At that moment, only one thing mattered to me.

We relaxed our hold over each other and Twilight pulled her head back a few inches and opened her eyes. She looked content and just a little dazed. "That was..... really nice," she said with deliberate slowness.

"Three kisses in one day," I said with equal leisure. "And two of them weren't my own design."

"Only half of it," Twilight shot back cheekily.

Smiling broadly, I carried Twilight into the house, the sky clearing up behind and around us. Nothing inside the house had been upset despite the momentary increase in mad weather during the last few moments of the storm. Everything was in its correct place.

"Don't you think it's strange how your house came away from all this unscathed?" Twilight asked.

I leaned in and nuzzled her. "Not with a guardian angel in it," I replied.

We went into the kitchen and started breaking out more food than we would probably be able to eat, but we felt that this was a time to celebrate. Our early lunch was long and hearty, probably because we elected to sit beside each other instead of opposite. When lunch was over, we went to the couch and snuggled, whispering to one another the secrets of our world.

Only to be interrupted by the telephone.

Damn, how I jumped! After not hearing the phone for almost a week, I'd almost forgotten what it sounds like. Grunting about my being forced to leave Twilight alone for even a minute, I got up, walked to the windowsill and picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Steve, old boy! It's good to hear your voice again."

My mind raced. It was the head of the construction team, Forrest Claymore. There were days when I wondered whether that was his real name. Wonder what he's phoning about, aside form the obvious. "Nice to hear you too, sir."

"Oh don't be so formal, Steven," he told me with a laugh. "We've known each other for years now and you're a loyal worker."

I turned towards the couch. Twilight was leaning over the top, her head resting on her hooves and a lazy smile over her face. Loyal, huh? More than you think, boss. "So," I said. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Oh you," Forrest chuckled. "Anyways, as you may have probably definitely noticed, that son-of-a-gun twister has gone and blown itself out."

Not exactly, but- "I saw, Forrest. Boy, did I see it."

"Well, the storm has caused considerable damage to the land, but what matters to us right now is the city. The streets are littered with everything from clouds of newspapers to fallen lampposts and insured citizens need repairs done on their homes. There's barely a building in town that doesn't need some kind of fixing."

Twilight twisted so that she was staring at me upside-down. I was having a hard time focusing on the conversation. My mind was elsewhere. "So I take it I'm on duty tomorrow?" I asked, eager to wrap up.

"You and the entire team, Stevie boy," Forrest said heavily. "And for a while too. The city's been trashed. The garbage disposal's gonna be working overtime and the electricians' wire stashes may be depleted before their work is over. Now is a good time not to be on the city council," he added in a humored tone.

"Yeah."

Twilight levitated a spoon from the table and tapped my shoulder with it. Her message was clear: Finish up over there. Pleeeease. I could almost feel her thoughts floating around in the air. Must be the magic. "Alright Forrest," I said, wresting the utensil from Twilight's enchanted grip with my other hand. "I'll see you tomorrow at nine, okay?"

"Good man," he said. "See you then, Steven. And welcome back to the way things were."

I hung up the phone, thinking about those last few words. The way things were? I doubt it. I walked back to the couch and was immediately pulled down onto it by Twilight, who was still looking unfocused.

"So," she said, leaning her head against my chest. "You gotta go back to work tomorrow?"

I frowned. "Twilight, I'm not going to converse with you in this state," I told her sternly.

Twilight merely smiled sheepishly. "What state?" she asked innocently.

Sighing, I picked up the Equinomicon and held it in front of her face, hoping that the sight of a book would snap her out of....... it. Twilight's eyes focused lazily on the brown cover and she dragged a hoof along its surface. "Pretty," she mumbled incoherently.

Great, she's out of it. What do I try now? Belly rubs? No, that will just make her sillier. Hugs? Maybe as a last resort. Another kiss? Hell no, not when trying to start a conversation. Then out of the blue, an idea came to me.

"Twilight, what's the square root of five hundred and forty-six?"

I don't know how that number popped into my head, possibly from my 12th grade math exam, but it worked. Twilight sat bolt upright, her eyes opened to normal, and she recited, "Twenty-three point three six six six four two eight nine one zero nine!" She then flopped back on top of me, awake and aware. She turned over and looked up at me. "Why'd you ask?"

Instead of replying, I wrapped an arm around Twilight and pulled her in for a hug. "Nothing really," I said calmly. "Now, you were asking a question."

"I was?" she said, perplexed. Then her face lit up. "Oh yes, I was!"

Good, she remembered the important bit. I'll appeal to her silly and childish—or is it foalish—side later. "You asked me what I would be doing tomorrow. As you may have overheard, my boss is getting the whole construction team together to help clean and fix up the town. I'm going to be gone most of the day for maybe the next week."

"Aww," Twilight sighed. "What does that mean for me? Could I come with you?"

"I don't think it would be a good idea for you to go wandering the streets."

"Why not?"

"Humans are ridiculous. If they see a creatures as special and unreal-looking as you, they'll probably lock you up for studying and experimenting."

Twilight shuddered. I realized that my voice was blunt and dead-serious. "Sorry," I said quickly, snuggling her.

"It's okay," she replied reassuringly, returning the hug. "I just wish we would have more time together."

I looked around my house. Forrest's phone call had brought to my attention just how little Twilight actually knew about my world. She wasn't prepared for it yet. "You're right. We still have what to talk about and I'm not going to sleep tonight until I know you can take care of yourself at home."

"Great!" Twilight exclaimed, clopping her hooves together. "What do I need to know first?"

Laying the Equinomicon on the table, I picked up the purple unicorn and carried her to my room. My computer was sitting dormant on the desk in the corner, as it had since the storm blew. The hurricane had knocked out the wireless, making it useless, but now the modem's lights were glowing merrily. Seating Twilight in the chair in front of the computer, I bent down and hit the power button. The monitor flashed on, going through the loading screens.

Twilight was captivated. "Ooooooh," she exclaimed, staring wide-eyed at the computer. "What does this do?"