• Published 26th May 2014
  • 4,102 Views, 83 Comments

Destiny Sparkle - Spirit Guide



One lost unicorn, one lonely man, one ancient tome. One big life adventure

  • ...
39
 83
 4,102

Page One

I left Twilight to her reading, emptying the basin into a bag on my way out of the bedroom. Once I got downstairs, I left the bag of puke on the floor and descended into the basement. Down here, below ground level, the storm was a lot less noticeable, even though the wind could still be heard. I turned on the light and quickly scanned the room, finally finding what I was after: a medium-sized clear plastic oil drum. Perfect for storing a large amount of stuff you wanted to look at without having to open the container. Hoisting the transparent drum onto my shoulder, I carried it back upstairs and plonked it beside the couch with a loud clang. Armed with a mop head and dustpan, I started gathering up Twilight's upchuck from the living room and dumping it into the drum, where it made an oddly pleasant splattering sound when it hit the bottom.

After I had collected most of the violet sick and put the covered container in the corner of the room, I went and picked up the phone, about to dial. All I could hear was static. Shoot, not the phone lines too! As I listened to the dead line I began to wonder: who would I even call had the phone been working? The hospital? A vet? Would they be able to get here in the storm? Would they know how to treat Twilight? Would they treat Twilight? All these questions swirled around inside my head, making it impossible to choose. Looking out the window at the rain that's been bucketing since the beginning of the week. It would be almost impossible for anyone to get here, on foot or by car, with the rain striking like bullets against the windshield and the wind threatening to blow the vehicle over.

Jamming the down phone into its cradle, I walked over to the front door. I could hear the wind whistling through the trees in my yard, the rain splashing against the pavement, the occasional clap of thunder following a flash of lighting. The storm had not let up even the tiniest bit since this morning. I opened the door, the wind almost slamming it in my face, the rain soaking me within seconds. Slamming the door I fell to the floor, gasping for breath. With no way for anyone with medical practice to get here, what could I do to help Twilight?

Despairing and drenched, I grabbed the plastic drum of Twilight's tossed cookies and went back upstairs to my room where Twilight was. When I stepped through the door, I couldn't tell who was the odder-looking creature or who was giving the other the stranger look: the sick purple unicorn pony under the covers or me, the soaking wet human in the doorway. Twilight had obviously finished the first book, as there was a pile of them on my desk. I glanced at the floor beside the bed. The blue basin was almost overflowing. Adding what was in the basin to the contents of the drum, I realized that Twilight had basically thrown up more than what her stomach could hold. She caught me glancing at the basin, the drum and herself and knew exactly what I was thinking.

"Magic," we both said in unison, and then started laughing. It was strange, making light of the situation as it were, but it sure felt good to laugh with a friend. I flicked the lid off the drum and poured the basin full of purple vomit into it, rather enjoying the sound of sick sloshing inside the plastic container.

After putting the lid back on, I decided I may as well explain our position. "My phone's not working so I can't call a doctor or a specialist. I'm sorry Twilight."

"That's okay," she said calmly. "I know how much you're worried about my condition and that you want to help, and I admire that. I was beginning to wonder whether or not the doctors here would even know what to do with me."

"Yeah," I admitted. "That crossed my mind too."

"Actually, I've been meaning to tell you something."

I pulled my swivel chair out from under the desk, wheeled it over to the bed and sat down in it. "What's going on?"

"It's my illness," Twilight said. "My cold. At least, it might have been a cold. After I finished the first three books, my chest started hurting."

I leaned in over her, carefully placing my hand against her skin. "You mean here?" I asked, pushing lightly. Twilight groaned and whimpered as if she were been squashed beneath a heavy bookshelf. I pulled back quickly to avoid causing her any further unnecessary pain.

Twilight sniffed. Her eyes were watering. "Yes, right there."

"No way is this a plain old cold," I muttered. "What else can it be?"

Pushing her book away, Twilight looked me in the eye. "There is a chance that it's—" With another loud gurgle and a tilt of her head, Twilight hurled another volume of mulberry-colored sick into the basin, almost spilling over its rim. A single glance at the contents of the basin confirmed the fact that part of Twilight's disease was being affected by her magic, increasing the contents of her stomach so she would always have something to heave.

"This is getting tiring," Twilight murmured sadly as I dumped the latest deposit of sick into the drum. The large cylindrical container was almost a third of the way full.

"I know." What else could I say? I know how it felt to be sick and to throw up every minute, so at least I wasn't lying. "What were you trying to say before?"

"I'm sure of it now," Twilight declared, her tone one of despair. "It's pneighmonia."

Damn it. I was afraid of that. Looking at the purple mare's symptoms made me realize that it really couldn't be anything but pneumonia, or pneighmonia in Twilight's case. "Is it anything like pneumonia?" I asked, trying to stay hopeful.

"What's that?"

"Put simply, an infection of the lungs by bacteria or viruses. So far, your symptoms match it perfectly."

"It sounds just like pneighmonia," Twilight concluded.

"Maybe it is. After all, we share different names and terms for a lot of things. It would make sense that diseases would also be named differently." Looking back on what I just said, I felt compelled to check Twilight's health and symptoms once more. "Do you mind if I check you?" I asked gently, hoping she wouldn't take offense.

Her answer surprised me almost as much as her materialization the previous evening. "Go ahead," she said, pushing the bed covers off. Her underside was a slightly lighter shade of mulberry than the rest of her coat. "Don't worry," she added reassuringly.

Bending down beside the bed, I placed my hands against Twilight's chest. I could feel her heart beating beneath my fingers, thumping quickly then slowly in an almost uncertain pattern. I continued my examination, carefully running my hands over Twilight's short soft fur, checking different parts of her body for more symptoms that could help us out. Thank G-d I took that online beginner's medical course, otherwise I would have had no idea what I was doing Sweat was pouring out of her skin, but she was shaking with cold. Another coughing fit revealed green and yellow mucus and as the examination went on Twilight grew more and more exhausted. The more I examined her, the more I began to realize just how bad her condition was.

I put my hand up against Twilight's forehead. It was even hotter than before! Now I was really distressed. Not only were her symptoms pointing towards one single possibility but they were reaching an even more critical level. I didn't know how to tell Twilight this, but apparently my indecisive expression gave me away.

"It's bad, isn't it?" she asked quietly.

I nodded. "Every possible symptom of pneumonia. Or pneighmonia, if you prefer." I turned away from the bed. trying not to let Twilight see my distressed face, but once more she caught me. I felt her hoof touch me on the shoulder and I broke down right then and there, tears free-falling down my cheeks, the sound of my sobs echoing off the walls of the small bedroom. I swung around slowly, preparing myself for whatever the unicorn mare had in mind. What I found myself looking at melted my heart. Not a frown or scowl, just a calm warm smile.

"It's not your fault," the pony at the other end of that smile said. "Stop blaming yourself. We just can't help it. Everypony gets sick sometimes."

"Not with pneighmonia," I mumbled. "And it's not just that. You've barely been here a day and your symptoms just keep getting worse."

Twilight thought about that for a minute. "Now that you mention it, you're right. I really have been feeling a lot worse since I was out in the storm the other night." She gasped as she realized what she had just said.

"It must have been the storm," I said. "You must have caught something, possibly when you materialized in the street, and the weather only made it worse."

Twilight nodded, then upchucked into the basin. She shook her head and said, "When you put it that way, everything makes sense. I'd like to see Pinkie try and pull that off."

I picked up the book she had been reading. It was 'When Worlds Collide'. I remember reading that book back in high school. I hated it. The very idea of an apocalypse and the world ending in any way was very disturbing for me. Whenever I'd see an apocalypse-related article or story, whether online or in the store, I'd either pass by without a second glance or shoot an ugly look at it. I can understand why Twilight would be interested in at least giving the book a try, being from another world and all, but I definitely wouldn't have suggested she read it if all she wanted to do was learn about my world.

I handed Twilight the book. "I'll go get the thermometer," I told her before backing out the door. As I walked down the stairs, I heard the retching sound of cookie tossing, an instant giveaway that Twilight had just heaved again. I hurried over to the couch, were the thermometer lay after I had l dropped it when I took Twilight to my room. As I picked it up, my eyes wandered over to the coffee table, upon which lay the old book my grandfather had given me. Of all the things in my house, of all the things I owned, it was the only item which couldn't help Twilight in any way. That bothered me. I should be able to use everything I had to cure her, but that book just lay there, being nothing more than old.

Shaking my head angrily, I went back upstairs with the thermometer in my hand. I walked into my bedroom and almost dropped the thermometer in alarm. In less than two minutes, my new friend had gone from bad to worse. The oil drum of Twilight's puke had risen past the halfway point, purple drops on the floor suggesting that she had magicked her last haul directly into the container. She was breathing with great difficulty, her breath coming up in short sudden bursts. 'When Worlds Collide' lay opened and upside down on the floor, probably the only thing that wouldn't be missed.

I bent down quickly over the bed. "Twilight, are you okay?" I asked, fearing the worst.

Twilight rolled her head over so that she was looking directly at me. "I wish I could tell you that," she said softly, "but that would be lying."

Without a word, I held up the thermometer and stuck it under her tongue. She didn't even bother speaking while we waited for the device to beep. When it did, I pulled it out of Twilight's mouth and checked the digital readout. 41.1°C! Impossible! Her temperature had risen nearly three degrees within half an hour! That was bad.

Twilight looked at me concernedly, her fatigue clearly visible on her face. "How bad is it?" she asked weakly.

It seemed like forever before I opened my mouth. "Forty-one point one."

The unicorn in my bed sighed dismally. "I'm not going to make it, am I?"

"Don't talk like that, Twilight," I scolded her, softly but seriously. "As long as you're under my roof, I won't let this stupid disease beat you." I spoke my heart out, my words full of truth and meaning, yet a part of me knew this was unavoidable. Listening to the wind as it raged on outside, I knew that we'd never be able to get help in time. Twilight's time in this world, or any, would soon come to an end.

Twilight reached with her hoof, groping around helplessly for my hand. Not wanting her to overexert herself, I positioned my hand directly in front of her. Sighing gratefully, she grasped it and squeezed gently. "I'm just feel so bad for my friends," she whispered, tears starting to roll down her face. "They'll never know what happened to me, what happened after the flash. I'm sure they're all worried sick."

Stroking the back of her hoof, I whispered back to her fiercely, "You're going to be okay." My face was streaked with tears. Twilight looked me in the eye and smiled again. How did she do that? She knows I'm trying to comfort her as best I can, but she had already accepted her fate, as if she knew it was coming to her ahead of time.

"You've done so much for me," Twilight said softly. "There's only one more thing I'd like that you can probably help me with."

I leaned in close, her voice had become barely a whisper. "Yes?"

"I'd like to see the book your grandfather gave you. One more time."

My eyes widened. In her last moments, she wanted to read a book? And not just any book, but one that was completely indecipherable. We both knew that neither of us could read it, so why would she want to try again? But as I sat there, looking at the sick, dying mare in my bed, my heart melted again and my mind was made up.

Releasing her hoof, I stood up slowly. "Are you still there?" Twilight asked. She seemed to be confused. Another symptom that usually only occurred among older people. Trembling with fear, I hurried down the stairs again and dashed for the coffee table where the ancient book sat, as useless as ever. I picked up the book, staring at its brown cover with its gold adornment, my temper rising. For five generations, my family guarded this book and for what? Its few pages were crowded with a 3-year old's scribbles and locked in a fancy hardcover. I had half a mind to fling it out the window and into the pouring rain and fierce gale were it belonged, but I couldn't bring myself to defy Twilight's final wish, so I grabbed the book, almost violently, and went back upstairs to my room.

Twilight perked up when she hear me reenter the room and once more kneel beside the bed. "You're there, aren't you?" she asked uncertainly.

Swallowing, I replied as softly as I could. "Yes, I'm here. I won't leave you, Twilight. Not if the storm itself ripped the roof off my house"

She nodded, then leaned her head back against the pillows. "Let's hope that never happens," she chuckled, and then lurched forwards suddenly and began another coughing fit, green and yellow mucus spraying onto the sheets but that didn't matter.

After her coughing had subsided, I laid the book on the bed, my hand spread out over the cover. "Here it is," I said quietly.

Twilight felt around for it, almost blindly, but she managed to find it, her hoof settled atop my hand. All at once, a green glow emitted from inside the book, eerie light flooding out from between the pages. We both pulled back, gasping at the unexpected spectacle. "What's going on?" I asked Twilight.

"I honestly don't know," she called back. She sounded a lot stronger than she did before. "But it feels like magic."

Magic. The mystical energy that people build their dreams upon. The supernatural force that people use to fuel their imagination. I never believed that I would witness a phenomenon like this one, even with the knowledge of Equestria's existence and Twilight's lying sick in my bed. The book lifted itself into the air and opened, flooding the room with a light so bright me and Twilight were forced to cover our eyes. When the light had dimmed sufficiently, we lowered our eyes and found the book hovering directly in front of my face.

"What's happening?" Twilight asked me. Her voice definitely sounded stronger.

"The writing," I murmured. "It's moving." Indeed, the previously unreadable writings had become legible script, real words forming from the black-ink gibberish. Entire paragraphs assembled themselves on the formerly disordered pages. When the last letter had moved into place, I found myself looking at a neat, hand-written text. "It's some sort of introductory verse. Very beautiful."

"Please read it," begged Twilight. Her sudden burst of strength had apparently petered out. I cleared my throat and recited the verses.

You've guarded me for generations
But disappointing were your expectations
Instead of secrets of magic and power
A tome so blank it made you sour

No longer shall my pages stay bare
Thanks to the two of you out there
Together, you are something more than you knew
A powerful, trusting confident crew

But now, I say that's enough out of me
You're in need of a healing remedy
The first page holds a spell to heal grievous wounds
As well as diseases which would mark you doomed

Listen well now, for there's yet more to know
To keep your life's fire warm, bright and aglow
With each crisis or hazard on the road before you
A new spell will appear and fill on through

One more thing to say and you'll be set
Keep hidden my secrets from every threat
For in the world outside, people fight for control
And thus make world peace an impossible goal

I have said my piece and wish it to be kept
Don't let me down, please do accept
My secrets will help you on your way
To, hopefully, have a brighter day

I stared into space, dumbfounded. Who wrote this? How did they make it so the book was unreadable? Was it referring to me and Twilight when it said 'together'? How did it end up with my family? When did it come to us? I turned my gaze on Twilight, who was looking as weak as she had previously before the book's revealing.

She leaned forward and tapped the open book with her hoof. "From what the verse says, maybe we should find that spell." She coughed and fell back against her pillow.

Please, oh please hold on, Twilight. My hands shaking, I turned to the next page, which at first had been blank but was now covered from top to bottom in clear English. My heart picked up the pace as I read the title of the page: Ultimate Recovery Spell. I looked at Twilight over the top of the book. Her eyelids fluttered and her breathing was rapid and shallow. I hope this works was all I could think of as I read the text beneath the page title.

To banish the illness and end the disease
One must first find the point where she feels most at ease
Once there, you must hold both hoof and hand together
To help heal the pony who feels under the weather

Your other hand now must stand over her heart
Lest your connection should fall apart
Channel her magic through her entire frame
To thrash any invader who would set her aflame

Finally, to mark the contamination's end
You must utter the words of a true, true friend

Wow. Not even Shakespeare could mess with this guy when it comes to writing. It seemed pretty straightforward: find out where Twilight feels at peace the most and hold her hoof there, put my other hand over her heart, get her magic to every part of her body to wipe out the germs and utter the words of a true, true friend.

Wait, what? What the hell does that mean? I looked at the last sentence in the spell. Yep, it definitely says that. Damn it, now what? The only true friend of Twilight's would be her friends and neighbors back in Equestria. Argh, this is just infuriating! We got so close and then whatever hope we had fell to pieces.

"What's up?" Twilight asked me, lifting her head. "Is everything okay?"

How does she do that? Asking me if everything is okay when she's lying in bed with pneighmonia? She really is an amazing pony. I was so lucky to have spent time with her. Wait, spent time with her.

That's it! The book clearly implied that one of the subjects of the spell had to be human, otherwise it wouldn't use the word 'hand'. Did the book judge friendship according to the patient or the healer? If it was the latter then we were good to go. Heck, I can't imagine letting someone stay overnight in my house without considering them my friend, which was kind of hard for me to go along with, taking into account that I didn't really have that many friends. But if it was a true friend of the patient, then I don't know what to do. I mean, I've been friends with Twilight for barely half a day. Does she consider me to be her friend? Someone who she barely knew?

A vibration in the book brought me out of my stupor. Twilight was tapping the open book as hard as she could, which in her condition wasn't very hard at all. "Well, what's it say?" she asked, her voice so quiet it was difficult to hear.

"Everything's here," I told her, "except for one thing."

"What's that?"

"The final step is 'the words of a true, true friend' which unfortunately, we don't have here."

"What do you mean?" Twilight inquired. "There's you."

Bam. There they were; the words I was waiting for. She just confirmed our friendship. I have a friend were the words going through my head as I looked Twilight in the eye. Her eyelids fell over her optical organs, her front hooves slipping down the sides of her blanket-covered body. I grasped her left hoof. It was cold.

"No no no no!" I muttered, flinging the book onto my chair, kneeling on the floor and bending over the still mare. With her hoof in my hand, I guided our joined appendages over her motionless body. What part of Twilight makes her feel calm and safe? I wondered, examining her quadrupedal form. As my eyes wandered to her head, it hit me.

Of course! Her horn! A unicorn's horn was a channeling organ, with which they directed the flow of magic that resided within them. It would make sense that it was where Twilight felt most at ease. Steering her hoof with my hand, I settled the two atop Twilight's horn. The blunt, pointed horn glowed magenta beneath our appendages.

Twilight blinked once and managed to hold her eyes open. "This is part of the spell, right?" she asked faintly.

I nodded slowly. "This is the first step. The next one is placing my hand over your heart."

She twisted and rolled her way out of the sheets so that only her back legs were covered. "Then what?"

"After step 2, you're going to have to channel your magic all through your body. Can you do that?"

One look at her face told me we were in trouble. She clearly didn't think she would be able to get her magic running throughout her system in time. That won't do. I've gone too far for her to give up now. Bending down low towards Twilight face, I whispered to her, "You can do it. Don't doubt yourself. Your pneighmonia has left you weak, but it doesn't control your magic. You are your own arcane master. Don't give in to your condition. We can do this, together."

Twilight looked at me, her purple eyes dimmer than they had been before. She swallowed, took a deep breath and focused. Her body began to emit a low humming sound as she let her magic spread out beneath her skin, hopefully wiping out the germs and viruses.

Okay, time for step 3. I laid my other hand over Twilight's heart. Previously, it had been beating very slowly, but now it was pumping oxygen at a furious pace. I could feel Twilight's power coursing through her veins in the form of both blood and magic, the two fluids streaming along their respective paths to get to where they were needed.

"Good, good, you're doing great!" I told Twilight encouragingly. Things were going just fine and we had nearly completed the spell. Now all she needed was the words of a true friend. That friend was me.

What do I have to say? Could it be anything or did it have to be something really specific? Oh man, this sucks. What do I do? Should I ask Twilight? Would that deny the effects of my words? Come on, pull yourself together! You can do this, just think about what makes you Twilight's friend; what symbolizes the friendship between us. Looking back on it, what did symbolize our friendship? We've know each other for barely a day, we had nothing to show for it.

No, there is something, I reasoned with myself. We may have only known each other for a short while, but we were already connected before we'd even met, just like Twilight's connection with the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony. I'd always felt a sort of bond with Twilight ever since I started watching the show, as if I knew the two of us were destined to meet. And then it happened, Fate and Destiny pulling on the strings, effectively isolating her in my world, away from her pony friends, forced to find shelter with me.

But she managed to cope with all the new ways that things worked here, even adapting her eating habits. She treated me like a friend she had known for more than just half a day, and I felt the same way about her. I knew what I had to say. The same words that were repeated every time I'd sit down and watch the show. With her hoof and my right hand on her horn, my left hand over her heart and unicorn magic flowing through her body, I bent down beside Twilight's head and whispered into her ear:

"My little pony: do you know you are my very best friend?"

Twilight's eyes shot open, blinding white light flooding out of them. Her body began to rise from the bed, but I held her down with my hands still in place, determined not to let go until she was completely cured. She hovered a foot above the covers, her mane flowing in the air, sparks flying from beneath our contact on her horn.

And then came the screaming. Twilight opened her mouth and let loose with the most horrible, eardrum-shattering heart-breaking sound I ever heard. It crawled in through my ears and filled my soul with feelings of guilt, as if I were the one causing her pain.

No, said a voice inside my head. You're not the one hurting her. You're the one who's helping her and don't you forget it. That small voice convinced me. Focusing all my willpower, I bent over Twilight's floating prostrate form, refusing to let it rise another inch. I gazed into her shining eyes, stubbornly resisting the blinding glare.

"I'm not giving up on you Twilight!" I shouted over the low but loud humming that filled the room. "You're too important. You brought happiness and joy into my life when I thought my existence would continue sad and empty. But then you came and everything changed for the better!"

The expression on the mare's face changed to one of deep thought, the glowing eyes kind of ruining the image. I held my gaze, refusing to blink even once. Twilight stared back at me, a weak smile appearing on her face. Slowly, that smile grew bigger until it dominated the lower part of her muzzle. She levitated into an upright position, her back hooves floating just a few inches above the bed. I still had my hands over her heart and horn, but it was becoming increasingly difficult.

Why do these all-powerful recovery spells take so long to end? It seemed to last forever but finally Twilight's eyes opened wide and a even brighter flash of light filled the room, forcing me to let go of Twilight and fall to the floor. The flash was followed by an exploding sound, not unlike the lightning and thunder from the storm outside.

I don't know how long I lay on the floor, my eyes squeezed shut and my hands over my ears, but when I finally felt it was safe I got up, brushing the dust off my shirt. Thankfully, none of the magical phenomenon had damaged anything in my room. Wait, is Twilight okay? Hoping, praying and wishing, I turned around.

What I saw launched my heart into a peak-joy mode. Twilight lay on the bed, stirring as if from a good night's sleep. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, then noticed me. Her smile was warm and reassuring, her eyes sparkling and full of life. Her coat was a healthy shade of purple just like it was before.

I walked towards the bed, my heart pounding, my mind racing. Twilight looked up at me, blinking in the light from the ceiling. I sat down on the end of the bed, never taking my eyes off of the unicorn pony. I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. Twilight shimmied over to my side, putting a forehoof on my leg.

"Thank you," she said, and then threw her hooves around my waist in a crushing hug, her strength restored.

I returned the gesture, wrapping my arms around the small equine. I could feel her tears soaking through my Elements shirt, but that didn't matter to me. What mattered was that Twilight was cured and saved from an almost-inescapable demise. "You're welcome," I whispered back to her, stroking her soft mane as she nuzzled me gently.

She glanced over my shoulder at my family's book, eyeing the brown and gold cover. She levitated it over to us and lightly tapped me on the back with it. We released our hold on each other and looked at the book floating inside Twilight's magic aura. "The spell you used to cure me is in here, right?" she asked, lowering the book down between us.

"Yeah, but I didn't cast any spell. I'm just a human."

"Well I certainly didn't cast it, I was too sick. All I did was channel the magic necessary to fuel it." She put a hoof against my chest. "You're the one who guided and weaved the spell. It was your words that completed it. There's no other explanation."

I thought about this for a minute. Could I have cast the Ultimate Recovery Spell? I didn't have any magic powers, not that I knew of anyway, and yet Twilight had a point. She couldn't have done it, her pneighmonia would've throw it off, and the book clearly said there had to be another person to help cast the spell. The more I thought about it, the more it began to make sense.

I opened the book and showed Twilight the spell. She looked at the beautifully written script and announced, "I've never seen a spell like this before. I wonder who wrote it."

"It doesn't say," I told her, turning back to the introductory page, "and my family never told me where they got it."

"Oh well. It seems to be a very powerful spellbook and according to this, every time we run into a problem or disaster of sorts, another spell will appear to help us. That is some pretty advanced magic."

I closed the book, running my hand over the intricate gold design on the brown cover. "Now that we know what the book does, we should probably give it a name, a title."

Twilight nodded. Being a librarian, she obviously understood the importance of a book having a title. "Okay. What should we call it?"

"Let's bothtry and think of something." We both fell back onto the bed and began to think. I came up with the first idea. "How about the 'Sorcerer's Guide to Magic in Reality'?"

Twilight gave me a weak WTF look. "I see two problems with that name: one, it's a mouthful. Two, we don't know whether or not the book's spells will only work here in your world."

"You're right, sorry." Back to thinking.

Twilight came up with the next one. "Maybe the 'PonyTome'?"

Now it was my turn to contort my face. "Not really. It doesn't cover the book's subject for one, and secondly, as you pointed out, it seems to work for humans too, although we have no innate magic."

"Good point," Twilight said, rotating her body so that her head was hanging off the bed, increasing the flow of blood to her brain.

I picked up my head and looked at the upside-down mare. "You know, that's probably not good for you."

She angled her head slightly so she could keep eye-contact while she talked. "On the contrary, it's even safe. One second without blood flow can cause brain damage."

"Too much blood flow can make you light-headed," I retorted

Twilight rolled back upright, pouting slightly. "Isn't it annoying when your friend disagrees?" she asked me. "Especially when they're right?"

"Yeah, it happens. I've seen a lot of things and that occurs way too much." Hold up, seen a lot of things? That's it! There must be something out of all the things I know, the TV series, movies and stories, something that could help me come up with a name for the magical book that lay between me and Twilight. And then it hit me. A great idea, an outstanding brilliant idea. I just hoped Twilight thought so too.

"How about the 'Equinomicon'?"

Stars appeared to twinkle in the unicorn's purple eyes when she heard the name I'd chosen . Her mouth opened, slowly widening until it was hanging loosely and aimlessly. She leaned in close and grabbed the front of my shirt with her hooves. "That's one of the most amazing, extraordinary, remarkable book titles I've ever heard!" she shouted excitedly.

I felt like my eyes would roll out of my head and onto the floor if Twilight kept shaking me. "I know right?" I replied, trying to calm her down.

But there was no stopping her. She hopped of the bed and began galloping around my room, laughing and shooting off magical sparks from her horn. I let her continue her energetic activity, befitting of Pinkie Pie, for several minutes, allowing her to enjoy her newly returned strength. She had been lying in bed ill ever since earlier this morning and had just recovered with the help of a new and powerful spell, so why shouldn't she be happy? Watching Twilight prance around made me feel good too, knowing that I had helped her recover from a horrible case of pneighmonia.

Finally, Twilight finished her race around the room and came to a stop in front of me. "Well, now that I'm better, what are we going to do now?"

Oh, right. I hadn't even thought about that. "What do you want to do?" I asked her, fully prepared for anything.

Twilight was about to answer when her stomach rumbled loudly. The growling emitting from her tummy almost caused me to explode with laughter. I couldn't help it, it just seemed hilarious! As it so happened, I couldn't hold back everything and a light chuckle escaped my lips. Twilight looked up at me and pouted. "It's not funny! I'm hungry."

I stifled another snicker and took a deep breath. "That makes sense, considering it's lunchtime," I said, checking my watch.

"Can we go have a bite to eat?" asked Twilight, rubbing her empty tummy. Dang, she's so cute.

"Yeah, of course. Think of it as a 'Get Better Soon/Welcome Back'-type lunch." Wow, that was well-phrased. Least it seems to have done the trick. Twilight was back to her usual chipper self. I glanced over at the half-full plastic oil drum of Twilight's vomit. "I think I'll put that in the corner downstairs. What do you think, Twilight?"

The purple mare trotted over to the transparent container. She looked inside at the violet fluids sloshing around. "This is putting me off my lunch," she said, holding a hoof against her stomach.

I hoisted the drum onto my back, hoping the sight of her stomach contents wouldn't cause her to fall ill again. "I'll take this, you carry the Equinomicon," I called to her, already outside on the landing. Twilight wrapped the newly entitled book in a magenta aura and hovered it down the stairs after me, following from behind, humming a familiar tune.