• Published 11th May 2014
  • 9,037 Views, 234 Comments

Sweetie Belle's Big Sister - The Infinity Doctor



Rarity's been getting busier and busier, leaving Sweetie bored and alone while at the boutique- that is, until she meets a creature...one that won't stop following her around...

  • ...
19
 234
 9,037

Chapter 14

Her eyes shot open, her breaths heavy as beads of sweat ran down her pale complexion, staining the tattered dress beneath her armor. She blinked, banishing the sleep from her glowing eyes as she tiredly sat up, wiping leftover tears from her face.

'Why can't they just leave me alone?' she thought sourly, thinking back to her dream 'Why me?'

The spherical cage that usually rested on her shoulder sat beside the foot of the bed, the dirty pink bows decorating it semi-reflecting the light filtering through the window.

A fragment of the dream flashed in her mind, the angry red eyes of the Daddy burning themselves into her head. She remembered the battle, the clawing shadow creatures, falling...she'd been falling...and- and- nothing, her memory fizzled out, remembering nothing more.

'What!? That was IT?!' she shrieked inwardly, not believing it.

Was this it?

"Am I finally going off the deep end?" she asked herself softly, hugging her knees.

"That would imply there's a shallow end, as well"

She jumped, ashamed at herself for being caught off guard as she spied two ponies, both equipped with a horn, an orange mane, and a pale blue coat. The stallion was wearing a green bowtie, and the mare an orange and white dress.

Her arm shot up, harpoon cocked and ready to fire as she focused it between the two, trying to decide which of them was more dangerous.

"Who ar-e you?" she spat.

"Friends"
"Or enemies, depending on how you look at it"
"It's all a..."
"...matter of perspective"

A shiver ran down her spine, something that didn't occur very often.

"Who are you?" she repeated, practically growling.

"Is that any way to treat us?"
"And after we gave you the potions, as well" the mare said offhandedly.

"That- was y-ou?" she cried, her aim faltering for the briefest of seconds.

"Indeed"
"Though, we did have help from your zebra friend..."

'What are they on?' she wondered, confused as to what the two were talking about.

"I believe we've revealed too much, brother..." the mare said, after a short pause.
"Agreed"
"Oh well, you can't change the past-"
"-unless you're us-
"-which isn't very likely"

Her head pounded, a migraine forming from listening to the two chattering on. How dare they! They had the nerve to sneak up on her, and do nothing at all! The worst kind of enemies were the ones you couldn't understand, after all. Of course...it was a good thing they didn't attack her...

"-but there are rules-"
"-even for us, occasionally-"
"-which brings us to you"

"Why- me?" she asked, after searching for the right words.

"Your genetic code is flooding with magic-"
"-a few more days, and you'll be...how do I say this..."
"...as stiff as a board?"
"Precisely"
"Or become a pony, it's fifty-fifty"
"She has just as much a chance of dying"
"You're a fatalist"
"A physicist?"
"A fatalist"
"So was 'Neighton'"

She drank it in, strangely finding herself at a loss at the strangers' words. She thought on it, her weapon unconsciously lowering as she stared at the floorboards. What about Rarity? What about Sweetie Belle? She needed them! She couldn't stand to go through losing her Sisters...she just couldn't...

She'd heard tales from Ms. Lamb about Big Sisters who lost their charges, the guilt and pain of losing them so great- that they went insane (insaner, that is), and ran away from the Family, abandoning them, never to be heard from again.

The mare approached her, a paper bag in his hoof.

"Here" she said, presenting it to her.

She accepted it, confused as to why the woman was givng it to her. It felt heavy, something of a medium weight pulling it downward. Tearing it open, she gasped softly, her gloved hands shakily holding the thing in her grasp.

It had four appendages- two arms, and two legs in a crudely-sewn body, the fabric a bronze color. Sitting between the 'shoulders' was a round head, harder than the cotton-stuffed body, a surprisingly well-drawn helmet drawn on the sphere, a single red porthole taking up most of the front of the doll's head. Another tear gathered in her left eye, threatening to fall as she clutched the small toy.

Why was she crying so much? It seemed to becoming a regular thing with her lately...

"You see how much you care for them-"
"-and vice versa"
"Do you really want to put them through the pain of watching you perish right before their eyes?"

She shook her head feverishly, discovering the truth behind their words. At the same time, the other half of her mind screamed at her to deny them, to deny what they were implying.

"Don't know- don't know what to think any-more..." she whispered, collapsing to her knees.

"Just remember-"
"-it's your decision"

"Which do I-"

She looked up, finding herself alone.

'Where they just hallucinations?' she wondered, feeling scared.
She saw visions all the time when she was younger, and now, while rare, didn't feel as real as the one she'd just experienced. Looking down at the doll, she knew at least one thing for certain...

The air around her crackled, and she vanished, leaving the room without a trace.


"Needles?" Rarity asked, knocking at the door "Needles, is everything-"

The unicorn pushed the door open, peering in.

"-alright in...here..."

She took in the vacant room, the biped missing from sight.

"Oh for buck sake..." Rarity sighed.


Sweetie Belle sat with her friends in their clubhouse, a piece of parchment set between the three of them.

"Sky diving?" Scootaloo asked.
"How are we gonna do that? None of us 'cept you can walk on clouds" Applebloom pointed out.
"Oh...right..." the pegasus replied, blushing.

"How about...water skiing?"
"Ah suppose we could...but where're we gonna find a lake ta do that? The mayor said we couldn't use the fountain after that laundry washin' incident"
"I remember that...I smelled like daisies for a month..." Scootaloo shuddered.

"Maybe we should try-"

A sudden flash, and a large creature filled a good portion of the treehouse. The trio screamed as they bolted for the door, scared out of their wits. Sweetie turned just in time to see Needles' head pop through the top of the clubhouse, her helmeted head turning, as she were confused.

"Needles?" Sweetie asked "What are you doing here?"

She was suddenly swept up into a hug, the biped's spindly arms practically crushing her.

The filly grew confused as she saw her friends approach, their eyes wide in fear and curiosity as they laid eyes upon her.

"What the hay..." Applebloom said, a slack-jawed expression dominating her face.

Author's Note:

You know the drill