• Published 11th May 2014
  • 5,239 Views, 149 Comments

Friendship May Be Magic, but Trust is Power - VampireFluttershyTails



"...because you must have trust before you can ever have a friendship." Summary: The denizens of Ponyville, especially the Mane Six, are at a loss of what to do when a small, pink (asocial), puffball crash-lands near their picnic. Will con

  • ...
6
 149
 5,239

Chapter One - Just An Average Day

Author's Note:

*LE GASP*

I HAVE SO MANY THINGS TO SAY!! XDDD
But it won't let me have an Author's Notes at the bottom section of my story too, so oh, well! XD
Though, lemme start by saying this....

Thanks for the welcome!! XD
Even though there isn't one.... yet! =3

So, while I work out the kinks with this story here, we can have a conversation right here! XD
Where?
umm..... in the Commentary section af-course! XD
Apple Blooom...?
Ah-Yes?
Lemme take over for now! =3
Apple Bloom: Oh... sorry! XD

*ahem ahem* Hum... =3
There are some references to other video games in this story and I want to see if you can find them by yourself! XD

(*whatever time it is when it's fixed: 3:29pm*) *LE GASP*!! IT'S FIXED!! XDD
There's (will be) music (credit to everyone who made them) and everything, but you don't have to listen to them if you don't want to! XD
Enjoy!

*EDIT: May 11, 2014, 12:52pm* LE GASP!!!
I just realized that I've been testing the formats here and there. =3
So now I know that Centered format, thanks to Bobbananaville, isn't really conducive to this site, so I'm changing it to left format. =3
With some minor adjustments. >=3
I don't bite, and I appreciate the favorites and the reviews thus far. =3
What I still don't understand is how the genres Slice of Life and Adventure can't cross as separate themes... o_o
Somepony should do something 'bout that... =/

I'll add some color to this later, so you can know who's thinking/saying (for those that aren't obvious, duh!) what and which. =3
Unless you don't need that.... >=3

(EDIT: August 15, 2014) I just fixed the spacing on some dialogue.

Friendship May Be Magic, but Trust is Power
Chapter One: Just an Average Day

It was a windy day in Ponyville.
The branches of the many trees were shaking; the green blades of grass rippled in whichever direction the wind seemed to go, and the blankets Pinkie Pie set out kept getting blown away so many times that she finally had to hold them down with bricks.

It was also a beautiful day out!
The sun was shining; birds were chirping, and, of course, Pinkie Pie was out waiting for her five friends with an assortment of picnic baskets.
Do you honestly think she would do this in the bitter cold? Heck no!

...well...

...yes...
Her light sapphires surveyed the area as she lay on one of the blankets, scanning for her friends, all of whom she was sure would come eventually!
Ten minutes passed, and the pink pony changed position every two as she continued to wait.

"Hm... I wonder if they're too busy to come..."
This idea only took a moment to process before she pushed that thought to the back of her mind, shaking her head and in a hushed tone said, "No... they would've told me they were busy... with no time for—no! there's always time; you can always make time!"
The pale, light raspberry pony laughed at her ramblings, her brilliant raspberry mane getting puffy, crinkly, billowy, and flat all at the same time.

"Woah!" a familiar voice rang out, heavily imbued with a Southern drawl—Pinkie Pie's left ear perked up, "if this ain't windy, Ah dunno what is!"
Pinkie Pie hopped off her back and twisted and twirled herself around so that she'd land on her hooves in the direction facing the newcomer, who struggled to trot against the wind with clenched teeth, vigorously holding onto her precious light brown Stetson. Her pale, light grayish olive mane and tail flew every which way, and she was almost afraid that her light brilliant gamboge coat would tear off!

She'd be one embarrassed pony, that was for sure...
Feeling the wind relent a little, she unclenched and opened her other moderate sap green eye and smiled.

"Hi, Applejack!" the pink pony greeted, smiling, and then grabbed the handle of a gamboge basket with her mouth.

"Oh, hey there, sugarcube!" exclaimed Applejack, ambling closer; the now gentle breeze whistling past them both and sifting their manes and tails. "Sorry 'bout comin' in late," she apologetically smiled. "Ah had to clean up th' farm, an' ol' Windbags sho din't help mattahs. An' then Ah actually had ta get here!"
Pinkie Pie nodded, humming as she set the picnic basket on the gamboge blanket. Applejack looked in the direction of the Weather Factory and raised an eyebrow, "D'ya think somethin' might'a happened at Cloudsdale?"
The pink pony shrugged, her light cerulean eyes almost apologetic, "How should I know? I didn't even do my danger twitch!" she opened the picnic basket, various delicious scents then filling the air, and offered, "Apple Pie? Apple Cookies? or just plain ol' Apples?"
Applejack smiled and decided to push the wind incident to the back of her mind for later; after all, this is a picnic, not a Concern Conference, as far as she knew. "Why not all o' th' above?"
Pinkie Pie was so happy she could buck for no reason, but then she remembered her other friends and slightly deflated.

"Oh, now donchu worry 'bout yer friends," Applejack consoled the pink pony as best she could, eating an apple. "Ah'm sure they're on their way!"
And she was right; a few minutes later, the voices of Pinkie Pie's other friends revealed themselves. The party pony jumped with glee and grabbed the picnic baskets bearing the same color as each of her friends and placed them on matching baskets. The Unicorns and Pegasi knew to move onto their respective blankets."Is my mane alright?" the light gray unicorn asked, trying to see with her moderate azure eyes her beautiful moderate indigo mane shaded with gradient shadows of dark mulberry and moderate mulberry, "The gale is so brutal today."

"Eh, don't worry much 'bout yer hair, Rarity," retorted Applejack, biting into another apple, much to the regal unicorn's dismay. "'Sides, it's fine. Doesn't even look like it's been tossed by that ol' Windbag!"

"Really?" Rarity's tone made it seem like she was asking for reassurance, but the raised eyebrow, the pursed lips and overall equine language suggested that she thought A.J. was lying.
Applejack scoffed and guffawed, having caught sight of Rarity's skepticism, and replied, "Puh-leese! Do Ah ever lie?"
The regal unicorn's eyes widened in realization and, blushing, smiled, chuckling, "My apologies..."
Applejack shrugged in compliance, taking another bite of an apple; Rarity cringed a bit and turned to her picnic basket, opening it and bringing out her special paninis(?) via magic. She ate slowly and delicately, and then turned her moderate azure gaze onto the kind, quiet pale, light grayish gold pegasus silently munching on apples also, her pale, light grayish rose mane and tail fluttering in the wind.

"So... nature's not so bad," began Rarity, her voice directed to Fluttershy. "Not as... deplorable as I thought I knew it was..."
Fluttershy smiled and nodded, her moderate cyan eyes glancing at Rarity, "I'm glad you agree! Nature's my most favorite thing..."

"I see..." Rarity smiled, then looked to the pale, light grayish mulberry unicorn whose mane and tail were beautifully colored with a moderate sapphire blue streaked with a moderate violet and a brilliant rosy red. The unicorn had her snout in a book she had brought with her, telekinetically holding it up and scanning it with moderate violet eyes. She had skipped right to the Apple Pie, also using her telekinesis to eat it.
Rainbow Dash, a very light cerulean pegasus whose billowing mane and tail were a rainbow of colors,—light brilliant red and vermilion, a light gold, moderate sap green and violet, and a brilliant cornflower blue—cocked a moderate cerise eye at the bookworm, offhandedly wondering while eating the Apple Cookies how Twilight Sparkle didn't once mistake the book for the apple pie.

"So," piped up Pinkie, eating her sweets, "how's the snacks I made you?"
The ponies, after getting over the shock of her now disturbed silence, murmured with some side commentary that they loved the snacks.

"Good!" she smirked, but, just as she was about to eat more sweets, she started to shudder really badly. The other ponies, except Twilight who was still deep into her book, gasped in shock. "Oh, no! shudder attack! something's about to happen that will flip and flop our lives forward and back!" announced Pinkie, and Twilight then bolted up, skeptical shock present on her face. And then her tail twitched, and she shouted, "And whatever that something is—it's gonna fall from out the sky!"

"Oh, boy! here we go again..." sighed Applejack as she and the other ponies gathered their baskets and scattered for safety.
They hid behind nearby bushes, and everypony noticed a ship resembling a star swerving into the atmosphere.

"What—?" nearly spluttered Twilight.

"...what...is that thing?" Fluttershy whispered, cowering.

"Mah guess"—the splutter of an engine cut Applejack off for a brief second—"is that there's th' thing that's gonna flip an' flop our lives forward an' back...!"

"That sounds corny coming from you, A.J.," Rainbow Dash spouted bravely, seemingly unfazed by the star spinning towards their picnic spot.

"An' Ah agree!"
Rarity simply stared curiously at the object, and Pinkie Pie grew more visibly excited as the star cruiser closed its distance. It then crash-landed, carving a deep crater into the earth and spewing up debris and dirt onto the onlookers and everywhere. The ponies coughed and brushed and shook off the dirt as they recovered from the shockwave that had knocked them back, and Rarity overreacted, screaming and bucking. "Dirt! It's all over me! Get it off!"

"...But I thought you said nature wasn't so bad..." replied Fluttershy, cocking up an eyebrow.

"Not when it's on me!"

"Oh, for crying out loud!" Rainbow Dash interrupted Rarity's breakdown, throwing her hoof down.

"A thing"—Twilight Sparkle, rounding on Rarity, pointed in its direction—"just crash-landed on our picnic site, and all you're worried about is dirt?"
Rarity calmed down, her moderate azure gaze directed to the ground, "I apologize... my behavior was extremely inappropriate and uncouth..."
In the middle of her apology, Pinkie Pie inched slowly toward the mysterious star ship she predicted would change their lives and had indeed fallen from the sky. She had the biggest grin on her face, eager to meet an extraterrestrial and to befriend it.

"...I shouldn't worry about beauty in the face of..." Rarity slightly lifted her head and out of the corner of her eye noticed Pinkie Pie tip-hooving off toward the crater, "...such situations..." she drifted off and raised her head completely, her moderate azure gaze trained on the pink pony. The regal pony then announced, "Where are you going, Pinkie Pie?"
The rest of the Mane Six then turned toward the now sullen and embarrassed Pinkie Pie.

"Oh, don't tell meh you were 'bout ta visit that—!"

"—thing we don't know what it does, or is?" Twilight rounded on her, "we don't even know if it comes in peace!"
"...Yes..." the pink Earth pony innocently replied, smiling.
Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Twilight Sparkle showed their frustration in different ways—the former two face-hoofed, and the latter simply frowned at Pinkie.
The pink pony then blurted in defense, "It could be friendly!" and maneuvered her light cerulean eyes over her friends, as if trying to find somepony who agreed.
"But you could've been hu—!" the light grayish mulberry unicorn couldn't finish, for a soft voice interrupted with:

"She could be right," and all eyes turned to Fluttershy, who lightly scuffed the ground with her hoof and sat upright, her moderate cyan orbs trained on the crashed star cruiser. "The poor creature could be in trouble," and then her eyes maneuvered to her friends and hardened, "and look at what we're doing..."

Rarity showed a bit of shock-induced hesitation before she nodded, "Fluttershy's right, everypony," and looked to the other three. "We're wasting valuable time. But, just in case the creature proves dangerous, somepony is going to have to lead us in."

Rainbow Dash spoke up then, "I'll do it," puffing out her chest, and made her way toward the ship; the rest of her friends lined up in a near pyramid formation behind her. Rainbow Dash stopped directly in front of the star cruiser, almost glaring at it; her friends carefully kept an eye on it as they peeked out from behind her, each holding different expressions—Pinkie Pie, in particular, was almost grinning from ear-to-ear.
The sky blue pony with the multi-colored mane then tapped the dome with her right hoof, and instantly there was a mechanic hiss; she gasped, clenching her teeth, and stumbled backwards up the crater, unknowingly pushing back her protesting friends. The dome started to rise, pulling itself from the cruiser as it revealed what was within.
Pinkie Pie almost squealed with delight; Rainbow Dash promptly adorned a look similar to that of disgust, as if to say, "This is what we were afraid of?!"; Fluttershy and Rarity looked at it with sympathy; Applejack stared blankly, not sure what to think, and Twilight Sparkle shared the same look, only more of skepticism as she examined the creature.

The creature was a pink puffball wearing a black, tattered cloak, seemingly unconscious.

"...Whaddya think that there critter is, Twi?" inquired Applejack, and everypony's eyes turned to Twilight for her knowledge. The lavender unicorn thought long and hard about this matter, racking her brain for a solution, as her moderate violet eyes scanned the puffball, before she gradually began to realize that she hadn't a clue, much to her dismay.

"I...don't know," and her friends were taken aback, and they turned back to the creature, sizing it up and down; she added, "but one thing I do know is that Princess Celestia has to know about this."Rainbow Dash frowned, her deep cerise orbs locked onto the creature, and she voiced her previous expression, "Hold on! This is what we've been afraid of?!" and she stepped up to the ruined, open star cruiser, "a pudgy little pink ball?" and poked the creature lightly.
"Don't do that..." softly commanded Fluttershy.

"Oh, calm down, sugarcube!" Applejack cried, "you of all ponies should know that it could'a been much worse!"

"Yes!" Rarity jumped in, "besides, we don't even know what it can do yet, much less decide if it is truly a danger to us all."
Pinkie Pie, taking advantage of their brief tiff, snuck past all of them to take a closer look at the creature, marveling at its simplicity and daydreaming the many adventures they both would have together! The pink mare then noticed the creature wiggling, as if being aroused from a deep sleep, and "sing-songily" announced, "It's waking! it's waking!" bouncing in place with excitement.
The other mares then fell silent as quickly as a fire would go out when doused and turned their attention to study the creature. Applejack pulled Pinkie Pie back into the pyramid formation, and the latter then popped her head up and out from behind the former so she could watch too. The lines they thought were scars were actually eyes, as they fluttered open, unveiling dull, dark red ovals that struck fear into their ever-loving hearts.

The cute, iridescent blushes suddenly didn't matter anymore...
Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Applejack tried their very best to bury their fear of the creature underneath what they hoped were kind, hospitable smiles. The pink puffball, now sitting up, frowned regardless, its eyebrows slanting inward in a perpetual dark mood. Twilight Sparkle gasped, almost backing away and breaking up the formation were it not for her friends' hooves being firmly rooted to the broken ground.
Rainbow Dash wasn't sure what to make of this; she stared with empty shock into those eyes. She'd been taught through experience to beware, especially, those with red eyes, for they either contained evil or powers beyond their reckoning and imagination—or were evil themselves...
But then, on an unrelated note, Rainbow Dash would also have to have herself to beware, so at what point should the line be drawn?
She stooped down to the creature's level and studied it some more, much to the latter's aggravation.

What makes you so dangerous, pink puff?
The pink puffball didn't falter one bit as it glared back into her eyes. He wasn't sure what these creatures were, or why they were staring at him so, but he knew he couldn't trust them.

He knew what trust had gotten him in the past...
Everypony except Rainbow Dash who was busy staring down the pink puffball exchanged uneasy glances, each unsure whether to speak or even what to say—or who would speak.
After what seemed like forever, Pinkie Pie smiled genuinely, having wrested enough of her previous excitement and happiness and a whole lot of other bubbly emotions that extinguished her fear of the creature, and cheerfully greeted it from behind Applejack,

"Hi there, cutie!" and then eventually pushed the light brilliant gamboge Earth pony aside, the latter loudly mumbling in confused protest, and outright knocked Rainbow Dash out of the way, which resulted in about as much of a reaction as you'd expect. The pink puffball, startled, hopped up onto his red shoe-feet, prepared to defend himself, as he gazed at the other pink creature that had taken the rainbow-colored and winged creature's place.

And in a rather dramatic way, if he had the right to mention.
He had to admit—it was a rather nice change of pace from staring into judging, prying cerise eyes.

This didn't make him smile though...
"What's your name?" nearly shrilled Pinkie Pie; the ponies, including Rainbow Dash who had recovered and was now hovering above the group, grimaced and also noticed the pink puffball cringe and shut its eyes, clenching its teeth. When he reopened an eye, he rubbed the side of his head (...body?) with a stubby hand to calm the ensuing headache and glared at the noise maker. The pink pony simply smiled toothily and from ear-to-ear, unaware that her attempt to befriend the creature was only irritating it and making it mad.
When she felt a hoof tap on her shoulder, Pinkie Pie opened her eyes, her once smiling mouth forming an "o"; the "o" shape only slightly expanding in size and altering a bit to form an oval when she noted the glaring frown on the puffball's face, obviously directed at her, for reasons she couldn't understand. She then turned on her right hoof-heel to face who she thought tapped her shoulder, but Applejack pointed her the other way, still keeping an eye on that creature—just in case it tried something.

The party pony looked in that direction, her light cerulean eyes meeting moderate azure ones, and their owner then spoke, "I do believe this requires more of a delicate touch, my dear Pinkie," and batted away her bangs in a manner not that far off from snobbery. Rarity smiled softly when the pink Earth pony seemed disappointed, silently questioning "Why?" through her eyes, and simply replied, "You're aggravating the poor thing."
Before Pinkie Pie had a chance to react, the unicorn's ivory horn started to glow a bluish white and then so did Pinkie Pie!
The rest of their pony friends were confused as to why she would use her magic and the alien jumped back in similar sentiment, but with shock intermixed. Her eyes widened when she started to levitate, and Rarity gently sent the pink mare back into the pyramid formation. Her horn stopped glowing and so did Pinkie Pie, and then Rarity stepped forward, taking the loud mouth's place with elegance and grace, eyeing the pink puffball with concern and an ounce of curiosity. The pink puffball was unsure about this and he stroked where his chin would be as he gazed at this creature and into her eyes.

Something about them all reminds me of horses... but not quite—they're too small...
He stole a glance at the rest, noting how each had different expressions as they tried to make head or tail of him, and then looked back at the light gray creature smiling gently at him.

...Ponies, maybe?
"Hello, dearest," the horned pony greeted, lowering her head only slightly, "I apologize for Pinkie Pie's antics. She's merely expressing her excitement."
...Pinkie Pie? the puffball then looked over at the pink pony—Rarity following his gaze—who then waved cheerfully at the two, but especially at him.

Huh... well, it fits...
He then turned his dull, dark red eyes back onto the light gray, horned pony, and they each studied each other more closely. Rarity, being the eye for fashion, noticed with horror how tacky, tattered and malformed the creature's black cloak looked—WARNING: this vision might've been exaggerated.
"Oh, Celestia!" she gasped out, her pupils shrinking,—confused, the puffball frowned, raising an eyebrow, ...Celestia?—"your attire... it's worn, unclean, and maybe just a touch outdated."

The puffball grew irritated, ...Outdated?, and also a bit frightened, and he thought, Wait... she's not thinking about removing it... is she?, as he backed away, stumbling a bit over the interior ridges of the star cruiser. Rarity, surprised and concerned, added, leaning in closer, "Don't fret, dearest. Rarity shall make you a new cloak, and it shall scream perfection...!"

The fashionista formed an expression of perplexed despair when she saw that it still didn't seem to like the prospect of having a brand new cloak tailored to its needs, as it hugged its current one closer to it.

That can't be... perhaps there's another prospect it didn't like buried somewhere...
A soft, gentle voice—"Excuse me..."—garnered Rarity's and the creature's attention, and they turned to their right (or, rather, left for the creature) and saw the pale, light grayish gold winged pony. Rarity stepped aside, allowing Fluttershy to take her place, albeit with slight timidity; her moderate cyan eyes gazed upon the cute animal in front of her with sympathy and kindness.

The puffball's usual scowl lightened a bit in this winged pony's calming presence; he found himself about to smile, but suppressed his natural affinity, settling in favor of the firm, steady, neutral line instead. The rest of the ponies watched this with full-blown interest; Fluttershy didn't even have to say anything to evoke such an emotional change in the alien puffball; it even stepped forward!
The pegasus scanned the creature for any wounds, bruises and other injuries, noticing none except for old scars, one of them, particularly prominent, running at an angle down through his left eye. Fearing the injuries may instead be internal, she softly inquired, "Are you alright, little one?"
Shock quickly danced across his features, and Fluttershy took special note of that fleeting expression, her concern growing ever more due to the (possible) unfortunate implications that this shock uncovered. After a short while of wrestling with his (now and only for this moment) unreasonable trust issues, he brusquely nodded his answer, careful not to tip over.

"Oh, thank Celestia...!" whispered the kind, timid pegasus in a celebratory tone, but by no means did she forget that special note.

...There goes that word again... by the sounds of it so far, it seems to be some sort of mild oath... the puffball mused, stroking his chin again.
Fluttershy still couldn't believe how long it took her to speak up—if the poor creature was hurt, perhaps to the point of lethality, she wouldn't have had much time to save him and probably would have had to watch him die.
She deemed herself extremely lucky that prospect hadn't come to pass, or she would've been heartbroken. She pushed the thought out of her mind, instead choosing to focus on the more promising, sweeter reality rather than the bitter, downer "what-if". Fluttershy knew that the pink puffball had no intent to harm them—if he did, he would have done so already... said her thoughts—but asked, "Do you come in peace?" anyway, just to help the few pony friends who still considered the creature a threat to Equestria feel better. There was no hesitation; he nodded, vigorously this time as if to make a point.
Pinkie Pie smiled even more, if that were possible, and Rarity sighed in relief, thanking Celestia that she didn't have to get her hooves dirty and that she wouldn't have to help do away with that cute creature.
Rainbow Dash and Applejack were still wary of it, although the latter relaxed a bit, and Twilight Sparkle was still skeptical—We know nothing about this thing... what if it pulls a fast one on us? there're these...things, you know? called lies? ever heard of them...?!—but kept it to herself for the most part, though her incredulity still shone through her countenance in pieces.

"Well, that's mighty nice to hear—er, Ah mean, see, sugar cube!" piped up Applejack, tipping her Stetson. The puffball creature turned his uncertain eyes onto the light brilliant gamboge pony who had no wings or a horn from his observation, and heard her chuckle sheepishly when her moderate sap green eyes met his red ones, her ears flattening against her hat.
"No sarcasm, or anythin', if'n that's what ya might'a thought," she seemed to have felt the need to add. Applejack could've sworn she'd seen the ghost of a smile flit across his lips, but was unsure if that could have been her imagining it instead.

Oh, shucks! the smile looked cute on 'im, regardless... she mused, smiling, and stopped acting sheepishly when the critter looked back at Fluttershy, subtly breathing out a sigh of relief, and immediately felt bad for doing so.
So, she, after a while of hearing Fluttershy's retraction of questions and Rarity's attempts to help and seeing the confused yet calm face of the puffball, decided to trot out of her spot in the pyramid formation and join Rarity and Fluttershy in front of the star cruiser, giving the best, kindest smile she'd ever given when the creature looked her way, and offered, "If'n ya hungry, Ah've still got some apples—"
And then Pinkie Pie suddenly popped up beside her, upside-down, scaring Rarity, Fluttershy, the pink puff, and especially Applejack half to death and surprising everypony else, grinning lopsided and holding the gamboge picnic basket out to her.

"Here you go!" she shouted in a hushed tone, still with that lopsided grin, and Applejack looked at her funny as she took with her mouth the basket off her hooves.

"Why, thank ya, sugar cube!" gratefully smiled the farm pony, and then took a good look at Pinkie Pie's position next to her and asked the question everypony and puffball were undoubtedly asking, "and how the hay bales are ya doin' that?!"
The pink mare shrugged and "sing-songed", "I dunnooo!" and then nonchalantly flipped herself so that she joined the four right-side up. The pink puffball and Rarity just stared; the latter eventually started repeating "Don't think about it!" in a sort of sped-up mantra, and Fluttershy looked concerned.
Rainbow Dash laughed, which made Pinkie Pie's grin get bigger, and Twilight Sparkle shifted uncomfortably, briefly wondering whether Pinkie Pie was the fraternal, good twin of Discord, only born thousands of years later.

Or maybe even a distant cousin...
"So, anyway," Applejack continued, turning to face the pink puffball who had shaken off the confusion when he heard her country accent and looked back at her, "Ah've got some apples for ya if'n yer hungry," and she set the basket in front of the creature and opened it, smiling. And then the smile faded, and she asked, "Uh... ya do laike apples, right?"Oh, he loved apples; she had no idea!But the surge of happiness inside was only communicated by another vigorous nod—his facial expression didn't change a bit.

"Well, that's mighty nice, sugar cube!" she smiled, nudging the basket closer to him, and the other ponies smiled too; she continued, "You are definitely gon’ laike it here!"

The puffball frowned a bit, which made the four ponies take a step back anxiously and Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle take a step forward, intending to defend their friends if they had to.
Like it here? ...he'd have to be the judge of that...!
And, speaking of "here", he'd have to find out what this place was.
He hesitated for a moment, and then nabbed the picnic basket and started running away from them, much to their shock, dismay, and surprise. He heard them protest and call for him to come back, but he kept going, going as fast as he could. He felt bad for leaving the kind winged pony and the Stetson-wearing pony, though; they seemed nice...
...but he couldn't trust them.

The only person he could trust was himself.
"Oh, great! the thing is loose and now it's gonna wreak havoc on Equestria!" the lavender pony, having cantered out of the crater in the direction the creature had gone, cried out.

"He is not a thing or an 'it', Twilight," decried Fluttershy, following her; Twilight cringed. "You know better than that!"
The unicorn sighed, shaking her head at herself, and said, "I know... I'm sorry, Fluttershy."
"Besides, he said adamantly that he wasn't gonna wreak havoc and harm anypony here! that he came in peace," and while she said this, the rest of their pony friends were climbing up the crater to join them—Rainbow Dash flew up and Pinkie Pie popped up and out of a nearby flower that wasn't there before; nobody wanted to question that.
Coughing and panting, Rarity stepped up, "We still must stop him, though. He's not cognizant of Ponyville or of the rest of Equestria. He could run into very dangerous creatures."

"Oh, Celestia!!" the pale, light gold pegasus shrilly exclaimed; everypony jumped back in shock. "You're right! he could get lost, hurt, or something far worse..." and she plopped down, her tail curling around her, and hung her head in deep sorrow and regret. Why couldn't I have stopped him? Why didn't he stay?
Rainbow Dash gazed at Fluttershy, exchanging worried glances with her friends, and flew down to her side and placed a hoof on the depressed pegasus's shoulder, waiting until she looked up at her before she said, "Don't worry, Flutters!" grinning into Fluttershy's surprised, watery eyes. Rainbow Dash twirled up into the sky and pointed to herself, puffing out her chest, "I'll go scoutin' for 'im!"
A smile eventually twitched its way onto her snout, and, wiping away her tears, stuttered her gratitude.

"Well, that's wonderful!" Pinkie Pie celebrated, pronking in place.

"There's just one problem," began Twilight Sparkle, earning a raised eyebrow from the pegasus with the multi-colored mane and stares from everypony else, "if he spots you, he'll either freak out more or defend himself; neither of which are good. And, as Rarity said before, we don't know what this creature is able to do, and we definitely don't want to find out on the receiving end."
"I got ya! so don't worry your little tail off, Twi"—the target grimaced and slightly glowered at this—"I'll be careful!"
Twilight Sparkle grunted, and then sighed, "You better. I wouldn't want to have to attend your funeral..."

Rainbow Dash faltered in her resolve, slowly spinning around to take in the reactions of her friends who had gathered in a circle around her, and Pinkie Pie, whose expression was especially pitiful, cried out, "None of us would!"
It took only one look at Fluttershy and her pleading eyes to restore that resolve, and she then shook off her worry and asserted with a smile, "There won't be a funeral!"
Fluttershy's eyes lit up and eventually that smile graced her snout once again, and Pinkie Pie got up on her hind hooves to celebrate, shouting, "Woohoo! Yeah, Dashie!"

Rarity only stared out in the direction the puffball had taken, as if to will him to return, and hoping it would work.
But she knew it wasn't. That's why hope could be so sad at times...
...but it always helped—to hope.

Even if you knew whatever you were hoping for would never come…
Rainbow Dash then zoomed up and off to find that pink extraterrestrial puff, cheered on by the waves and messages of "Good luck!" from her friends. Applejack, noticing her fashionista friend's slouched body and somber, wistful eyes, then said, "Well, at least th' cute critter won't starve," to try and cheer her up.
Even though it was more directed to Rarity, who raised her head and looked back at her with a sad smile and replied, "Yes... yes, that's always very much a boon, is it not?", the others started chattering about that, nodding in agreement.

"Meanwhile," Twilight began, on another topic, and turned to go back to her home at the Library where she also worked, "I'm off to have Spike send a letter to Princess Celestia about this. She must know."

"Okie-dokie, Loki, Twi!" Pinkie Pie giggled, waving, "See ya later!"
The light grayish mulberry unicorn then cantered her way home, backed by farewells from all four friends.
Pinkie Pie then grinned, "Well, I guess the picnic's over now! Bye!" and then pronked her way to Sugarcube Corner, singing a song about the pink puffball. After having said their goodbyes to the pink pony, Fluttershy looked toward the distant trees, her ears flat against her skull and her already tareme* conveying worry for both Rainbow Dash and the pink puffball.

"I hope they'll be alright," she expressed her concern, and the wind started picking up again, blowing her and her friends' manes around. Applejack put one hoof on the timid pegasus's shoulder and the other on her hat to keep it from getting snatched by the wind.

"Hey, don't worry, you two," she had to shout over the wind. "Thangs will be ahlright soonah or latah! But Ah can't stay—Ah've gotta git to mah farm"—she pointed quickly with her hoof used to hold down her Stetson in that direction—"before this here wind gets any worse!" and then she zipped off, almost screaming, "See yaaa!"
Rarity and Fluttershy, after waving, then exchanged glances, and then got closer to one another, their attention still directed to where that alien had gone.
They sighed, and they each had one thought on their minds:

Why had he not accepted my design proposal?
Why had he run away from us?...and then they got up and sauntered home together.


Fin
March 19, 2014
10:54pm


here


Optional Ending to this Chapter

It wasn't too far into the night that a certain pony of the Mane Six realized something.
She realized it sitting at the foot of her bed in the roomy upper floor of the Sugarcube Corner, thinking cheerily about the next parties she would put into manifest once they detained and calmed this pink puffball who ran away earlier today.
Once she realized it, Pinkie Pie shot up, high into the air but, fortunately, missing the ceiling by a hair, and shouted,

"WE FORGOT TO INTRODUCE OURSEEEEEEEEEEELVES!!!!!",

so loudly and dramatically that it practically woke up everypony in Ponyville!
...Well, except for the ones who were already awake.
Many complaints were to be had as the residents who were disturbed from their dreamland; just to hear Pinkie Pie scream something nonsensical.
When it comes to Pinkie Pie, however, nothing is a joke...
Really, it's not.