• Published 7th May 2014
  • 1,478 Views, 136 Comments

Horn And Wings - Nameless Narrator



A patient is admitted to Ponyville Mental Asylum with nothing known about him and the only clue is a batpony who arrived shortly after. They don't seem suspicious or dangerous but the small town of Ponyville has bad experience with newcomers.

  • ...
1
 136
 1,478

Back To Normal: She's Hasty

[Blazing's Entry]

"Misunderstanding" cleared up, smooth sailing ahead, neck bandage applied.

Tired, shower still working. A square hole and a square peg put together.

In all seriousness now.

With me slightly overfeeding Doom Star, or Doomie as Choking refers to her, she now thinks I'm some sort of a juice box combined with her dad. I must admit it's a bit flattering but having a daughter only few years younger than me is silly. Although she's a bit simple she doesn't have a bad bone in her body and with me feeding her past three days she's looking better and better.

Choking, on the other hoof, feels as strange as usual and doesn't miss an opportunity of watching me spending time with Doomie. I think there's a lot she's not telling me but there is no way I'd believe her to be some sort of pony who uses others. It might be just my body talking but after watching her give Doomie a bath - okay, I personally love stewing in hot water and I guess it's not for everypony but Doom Star's reluctance to get clean is astonishing for a probably adult pony - I think that under the hot-headedness and barely contained paranoia she's a really kind pony.

I sort of want to see a bit more of that side of her.

[End Entry]

I tried to be useful by spending most of the day walking around the house trying to find all damaged spots and health hazards. Too bad my knowledge of carpentry is limited to knowing something is broken just as it begins cracking under my hooves.

Yes, I tried to evaluate the status of the upper floor by stomping around. Don't judge me! Doomie was mad at me for waking her up but joined me after a while and the two of us jumping around must have been a blast for the neighbors. I have to wonder at how little it takes for her to be happy.

There's one thing that's been bothering me since my awakening which is that I can't find anything I'm good at. I sometimes have a good, albeit questionable, idea like the floor inspection but there doesn't seem to be anything particularly fitting me. It might have something to do with my lack of cutie mark. Well, it probably has.

The real question is whether or not I want to know about my past. All I know is that we're hiding away in this small town, the reason is me and unless I do anything ridiculous to draw attention to myself everything should be okay.

At the time I decided not to push the fact that Choking was lying to herself more than she was to me. Sometimes ponies just want things to be true so much they ignore all evidence to the contrary. To be honest, if she's this determined to be with me then I shouldn't be the one ruining it.

Or should I?

The big problem, the reeeeeally big one is bothering me. She doesn't love me. She might be telling herself that but I'm not the pony she wants to be with. I don't know her and I saw her finally getting it when I yelled at her for beating up Doom Star. I wasn't acting the way she thought I would and it began breaking the little world she built around herself after whatever happened happened.

Hmmm, maybe I used to be a psychiatrist? I guess I can notice and interpret those little details about ponies pretty well. Is that why I woke up at the asylum? Was I one of the staff that has gone crazy, killed somepony and was hidden away from the law by friends?

Eh, whatever. I don't intend to do anything blatantly stupid to make myself stand out so I should just deal with the problem in front of me... the problem being a mare stuck in a memory.

ENOUGH!

The problem of me being dirty as if I spent a day working on a farm.

Doomie is sleeping after a day of messing around and a little snack, ehm, and Choking is at work which means I have the house to myself. With towel in my magical grasp and the bathroom as my destination I intend to spend at least a part of this evening pretending I'm a rubber ducky.

With only a head sticking out of the tub I realize I've been humming a tune I don't remember ever hearing and it stops as soon as I focus. That sucks, it was a nice one.

The bathroom door opens.

"Wo-wa-occupied!" I yell, stop soaping myself and hide in the tub again.

"I know," a black head peeks inside and then the rest of Choking follows.

"I, erm, don't mean to be rude but I'm trying to have a bath here."

"I can help you wash your back," she sticks her tongue out, "...and more."

That voice, the hunger in those words could melt an ice sculpture and make jello hard as steel.

"NO! I mean I'm fine, thanks for the offer."

"That wasn't an offer," Choking licks her lips and with a dreamy smile approaches the tub.

My body is telling me to drag her to the tub, my... lower regions are agreeing violently but the chills going up my spine make my head take control and I stand up, dripping.

"I'm sorry but no. No matter how gorgeous you are I can't do this, not right now."

The feeble show of resistance means nothing to her as she leans towards me and whispers to my ear.

"Your body... disagrees."

Then she bites my ear, sending electricity through my entire body down to my hooves.

"Stop it," I push her away.

I may as well have hit her with a hammer. The disbelieving expression when she steps back almost makes me rethink everything, almost. I have to retain some self-control and set limits, at least for now.

It's completely obvious from the nervous twitching of her front legs she doesn't understand what's going on.

"You can't do this. I don't know what used to be between us but your overly sexy approach is doing nothing to help, it's freaking me out, to be honest. You don't have to do anything like this. I want to get to know you but that will take time."

"Have to?" her voice is shaking when she turns around and walks through the door, "I'm such an idiot."

Breathing as if I've just moved a grand piano, I towel myself off. I had to do that, I had to do that, I had to do that. I can't just slip into a role she has ready for me because, well, the role isn't for me. It will be healthier if she just gets rid of the illusion and faces reality.

"The reality that I'm not worth being looked at by her," I hear a whisper from somewhere.

A sudden headache makes me groan but fades away pretty fast. I guess I must have just left the hot water too fast, this place isn't really well-heated and the winter is biting down pretty hard these days. I shake my head and something becomes crystal clear - no matter how good the reason was for me acting like that I was insensitive and have to make things right... when she so obviously can't.

Since the living room is the only really heated place in the entire house I shiver my way through every room without success.

"Miss Darkness!"

A thud comes from the storage room on the upper floor.

"Miss Darkness!"

Quiet sobbing lingers in the air.

Following the trail, I open a large chest where blankets must have been kept. Now it holds a crying batpony who keeps punching the bottom weakly.

"Buck, buck, BUCK!" she hits the bottom of the chest again with a crack. Unfortunately the chest is made of solid oak so the sound must have come from her hoof.

"Miss Darkness..."

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!"

"What?"

"I'm Chokey, your Chokey. Nopony else has the right to call me that but you. Why can't you understand it?!"

"Because I'm not the one you're looking for. I can't help you the way you want me to."

She sits up but the long breath she releases feels as if something important leaves with it.

"I made a mistake," she says flatly, "I shouldn't have bothered you, mister Light."

Why does it hurt?

Why does it hurt so much?

WHY DOES IT HURT SO BAD?

HEAVENS WHY? WHAT IS THIS?!

The chest breaks into pieces in a burst of orange lightning and I jump backwards to avoid the scatter. Fortunately, I end up only scratched in places but the orange glow above my eyes isn't stopping.

When the dust settles I see Choking with tiny bronze sparks running through her coat. The only reflex left in me is to feel her warmth.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I don't know what happened," I hold her in my hooves with no desire to let go.

I do know what happened. The soulless look, the empty words... all that tore apart my heart almost literally.

"I'm fine, mist-"

"Don't- please, don't call me that. I think I understand a little bit of how you feel. I don't want to be mister... that to you, ever, erm Chokey."

"But you were right. You're not Blaze."

"No, I'm not. Does it mean I'm not allowed to try and make you happy for a while?"

She chuckles but still keeps looking at the floor.

"Well, you DID refuse a mare's company in the bathtub earlier."

"Yeah, about that... can you- can we try things out? I mean at slower pace."

The orange sparks stop and burrow into her coat. She wipes her eyes, smiles and breathes out.

"I don't know."

"Hey, I can be a charmer if I want to. Your vampire friend seems to like me so I can't be that tasteless."

"That. Was. Awful."

"I have to make an ass of myself to have a chance at getting yours."

"Heavens, stop that," she snorts, "Fine, I'll slow down but I have one request."

"Okaaaay?"

"The tub, you, me, now."

"Well-"

"Nothing too kinky. I'm covered in dust even on the inside and since you ran here half-wet you're dirty as heck too. By the way, what was that?"

"I have no idea. My magic is kind of doing whatever it wants to. I'm just glad it protected you from the flying wood. The sparks running into you didn't hurt?"

She hesitates and I immediately know the next thing she says will be a lie.

"They just felt warm," she smiles, looking into the darkness of the room, "Hey, can I ride your back?"

I bend my legs and press my muzzle to the floor.

"Only if I, someday in the future, get to ride yours."

"It's a promise."