• Published 8th May 2014
  • 897 Views, 24 Comments

An Unexpected Turn - Dj8996



Basically, I'm living life as do normally, until an odd event occurs, which indirectly causes me to get sent to Equestria, equipped with nothing more than the clothes on my back

  • ...
3
 24
 897

Sure As Hell Ain't In Kansas Anymore

I was rendered speechless for a brief moment, trying to comprehend everything, though after a half hour of lying in my bed; I took my mind away from it, as thinking it through yielded no results.

I did happen to notice right away, that It was early it was still moderately dark outside, the only light visible, coming the scattered out street lights below, and the faint blue glow coming from the edge of the horizon. I staggered a little after getting up, the tingling sensation shifting about my body. I tiredly averted my attention towards my alarm clock.

“5:36 a.m.” I slowly and partially groggily, read out loud.

My eyes widened, and I was fully awake during that moment. I rushed out of my room, towards my balcony window, yanking the curtains wide open. I looked up in the sky, expecting to see a particular cloud formation (mentioned in another story), just as I had written in my story yesterday night. My eyes darted throughout the sky. There was nothing.

“Of course there would be nothing, what was I thinking?” I said, with a now sad expression on my face, whilst slowly closing the curtains shut.

I then sat down on the couch just off to my left, and let my back sink into the cushions behind me, letting out a small sigh upon impact.
After a long and quiet half-hour, of sitting in the darkness of my living room, I noticed that is was starting to get warm and humid in the house. I shake my shirt a few times to cool myself off a little, and walk over to the heater to adjust it. I leaned my head down and adjusted the lever that controlled the thermostat; only realize that it was already off to begin with.

Walking down the hallway with my eyes partially closed, I threw on a pair of jeans and a light sweatshirt. Considering the fact that it wasn’t too dark outside, and no one else in the complex was awake yet, I decided I would go for a little stroll outside, to clear my mind, but primarily just to get myself out of the heat.

After getting fully dressed and ready to go, I went to grab my phone, in case I want to listen to music or whatnot, and my Rainbow Dash wrist band. The wrist band over the last several weeks seemed to serve me as my own little good luck charm, so I carry it around basically everywhere I go.

I put my phone in my pocket, and my wrist band on, and I quietly approached the front door. Taking one last look around the room, mentally double checking to make sure I didn’t forget anything. I right away, shut the door behind me, and clicked it shut.
The first thing I feel is a relaxing breeze, wash over me. I look up in the sky, not a single visible cloud, but at the same time, not a single star either, it was just a dark blue haze. I had no clue as to where my destination would be, so I just walked straight forward, along the side of the forest preserve, just to see where that path would take me.

A few minutes into the walk, I look down towards my right pocket to get my phone and ear buds. I hesitated for a moment, but eventually just shrugged my shoulders, and left them in there. Besides, the occasional owl in the distance, followed by the wind rustling through the trees just beside me, was oddly serene.

Just a couple minutes later, still walking along the curb of the street, I felt that same tingling sensation from earlier, throughout my body once more. I attempt to lightly jog it off, hoping it would fade away over time at least. Nothing made the feeling go away, in fact, the sensation was getting more intense by the second, followed by an absurdly loud buzzing noise. Not a moment too soon, a wave of dizziness and lightheadedness, had just hit me with the force of a speeding car. I groan, falling almost face first into the dirt, attempting to cushion the fall with my elbows. I slowly rolled onto my back, my head now aiming skyward.

*CRACKLE*

During that moment, I heard what sounded like intense electrostatic discharge, and the tingling, along with the electricity only got stronger from there. Suddenly, everything around me, the sky, the trees towering over me, and the ground, all began to ripple intensely, as if everything were made of Jell-O. A short moment later, everything faded to pitch blackness rapidly. I was now on the verge of passing out, as both of the sensations throughout my body, were numb from the intensity, along with my head. Just before I felt my eyelids close, I flash of intense white occurred directly in front of me.

What seemed like hours later, I woke up in a daze, lying on the grass, which was much softer than I remembered it to be. But I didn’t pay much attention to that, or anything around me for a while. All I could feel, was that familiar tingling sensation, as it began to fade away, the buzzing sound existent no longer, all the while my head still lies on the grass. I tried opening my eyes, and was immediately, and warmly welcomed with an intense migraine. I brought both of my palms up to my face, and buried my head in them, wishing the headache would just go away, but to no avail, it was still there.

Not having nearly enough energy to stand up, accounting for my dizziness, I managed to sit cross-legged on the ground, leaning my back against a tree, which I had just found out was there, after unexpectedly bumping my head into it.

“Ugh… what the hell was all that about?” I muttered under my breath, whilst positioning my body more comfortably against the base of the tree.

I rested my full body weight onto the bark, and let out another deep sigh, still mentally and physically recovering from whatever the hell just happened not five minutes ago. It just occurred to me, that I still had my phone on me, so I quickly reached into my right pocket to pull it out, only to have to untangle the ear buds wrapping themselves around it. After putting the ear buds back into my pocket, I pressed the power button on my phone, practically holding my breath. The screen lit up right after, without any signs of being damaged. I could almost hear “hallelujah” being sung by a chorus in my head.

“Huh…That’s weird, that’s really weird,” I said with a now mixed expression.

The phone was functioning normally from the looks of it, but there was just empty space where the time should’ve been. Out of curiosity, I shook my phone, hoping that would do something, nope.

“Well, at least the battery life is almost full,” I muttered in an annoyed tone, under my breath.

The first thing I thought to try and do was call someone. I immediately attempted speed-dialing the first number that popped up in my contact list, and tapped the call button. Not even a ringing tone, or anything for that matter, just silence. So basically, my phone’s only use at this point in time, was the music that was still on there.

After what seemed like ten minutes, my fore-mentioned migraine started to fade away. Out of relief, I unfolded my legs, and stood up slowly, using the tree as a support. After stretching briefly, I brushed off the grass from my pant legs, and put my phone back in my pocket.
I pushed myself away from the tree, and began observing the area around me. I knew from the start, that I wasn’t anywhere familiar, but I assumed I wasn’t too far from home. The only thing I knew for sure at this point is that there were trees everywhere, and they were dense to the point where I had to either duck, or push them out of the way every five feet.

What felt like a good ten minutes later, I eventually neared an opening, where the trees scattered out more, the farther along it went. So naturally, I followed the widening path, until the tree were gone, and was instead replaced by tall grass, and a lot of it.
I then happened to notice something lit up in the distance. It being the middle of the night, it was pretty much the only thing I could see, farther than 20 feet. They were lights, and there was an abundance of them.

“Oh my god, it’s about damn time!” I almost shouted to myself at full volume, out of pure relief.

I couldn’t make out the details from this distance, the darkness not contributing to it either, but from the looks of it, no one was outside. Having feeling a mixture of relief, and partial fear at the same time, I began to traverse through the hills and bends, as I got closer by the minute.
I slowed my pace down to a steady walk, being slightly exhausted from the amount of walking I did, as I began approaching the town. While wading through the grass and shrubs, I looked into the night sky, and found easily thousands upon thousands of stars in the cloudless sky. I paused in my tracks, continuing to look up, my mouth slightly agape. I almost feel stupid for not noticing this earlier. I happened to notice the moon coming out from behind a tree, as I started walking slowly again.

“Wait a minute, the moon!” I said with a look of momentary confusion on my face.

The moon looked, very different. It was much bigger than it would normally be in the night sky. Not to mention, that it also had some strange design on the side of it, but I couldn’t make it out, so I just kept walking, but still kept the image in my mind. What struck me the most as weird, is that it didn’t seem to move in the sky, It just stayed in the exact same spot throughout the entire walk. Everything was getting weirder and weirder by the minute.

I practically slipped down a really steep hill, but managed to climb it on all fours back to the top of it. I finally reached the top of the hill, wiping my pants off from the wet grass; I could finally see the town in clearly. But what I saw made my jaw drop, along with my knees back to the ground.

There were wooden cottages, lining a wide, dirt-filled street. After shaking my head repeatedly, trying to reassure myself, that I wasn’t seeing what I thought I was seeing. I got from my knees, and started up my walk again, but much slower this time.
Within moments, I soon went from walking wet grass, to smooth and dry dirt while I was approaching the town ever so reluctantly. Unless something around here could prove me otherwise, I could’ve sworn for the life of me, that I was walking the streets of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Long story short, I somehow end up in the far outskirts of Ponyville after a strange experience. How I got there? No idea. I wonder what will happen next?

I'm having a hell of a lot of fun writing these so far! :D