• Published 4th May 2014
  • 5,221 Views, 129 Comments

C-R-O-W-N-E-D S-O-U-L - Mordy



A human is transformed into Magolor Soul when he puts on the Master Crown. But when the Elements of Harmony are used on him he is reduced to a shadow of his former self. That doesn't stop him from seeking revenge!

  • ...
9
 129
 5,221

Interlude 1: Last Remnant

C-R-O-W-N-E-D S-O-U-L
By: Mordy

Interlude 1: Last Remnant

Celestia was upon her balcony and began to set her sun as Luna stood next to her and let her moon take the sky. After the blazing ball fell over the horizon, Celestia looked down at the gardens where Discord’s statue had been before they moved him to a more secure location. She let off a heavy burdened sigh as her thoughts began to race to more troubling things. This did not go unnoticed by Luna.

“Sister,” Luna inquired, “What tis the matter?”

Celestia smiled softly at Luna, both of their manes blowing in the non-existent wind as they regarded one another. “It’s nothing; just…” she paused for a moment to collect her thoughts as she sighed again. “I am just worried that if Discord could escape because of the elements being transferred to Twilight and her friends, is it possible that something else could as well?”

Luna pondered the idea for, but a moment before she answered, “We could see that possibility. But it does naught to burden thyself with such thoughts without proof to back it up.”

At first, Celestia smiled at Luna’s archaic use of the old tongue, but she quickly grimaced when she knew she had reason to be concerned. “Luna…” she began. “Do you recall the one called Magolor?”

Her sister growled with disgust at the name. “Ai, how could we forget that horrendous fiend who had bested us with such ease?” Luna then saw where Celestia was going with this. “Sister, surely thou would think not that monster could return? Even if it were to recover from the elements, it was banished within another realm. Most likely it shall be forever trapped there or even destroyed when the door closed.”

Luna was unnerved when Celestia frowned at her. “Please, come with me sister. I wish to show you something.” Celestia then began to walk away slowly, Luna staying close behind her.

It was about five minutes before they approached one of the royal vaults containing valuable heirlooms and other treasures that were highly regarded. The two night guards that had changed shift with their daylight counterparts saluted to the princesses as they approached. Their eyes remained unwavering as the doors seal was undone by Celestia and both her and her sister trotted in. The door shut behind them as they entered.

Everything inside the vaults wasn’t as flashy as some would expect. It wasn’t gold or anything of the sort. It was artifacts or works of art, either holding sentimental value or was significant in other ways such as being made by a long dead artist or had belonged to a great individual.

Celestia weaved her way between pedestals that held some of these items aloft, as her sister came in tow. She led them to a darkened corner where a door was tightly shut and sealed.

This one took more time to open and although it looked insignificant, it was made that way on purpose as a deterrent. This room held things that were best left forgotten; objects that should never see the light of day, documents of some of history’s darkest secrets, and things that the common citizen should never know.

The room was dark, dank, and dusty. Even with the light that poured into the room when Celestia opened the door, it almost seemed like the light was unwilling to enter.

The two walked in silently as Celestia led them onward. Luna glanced at some of the items and her ears splayed back when she saw old books with titles regarding Nightmare Moon. They obviously most likely demonized her and painted her as something far worse than she really was. Celestia had banned them from the public and burned most of the copies. She was unwilling to tolerate such opinions of her dearest sister.

They finally reached the end of their journey; in the corner of the room was a sheet of royal purple that had long since faded with age, covering a glass case which was revealed when Celestia removed the cloth. Within it was a plain looking box.

Without opening the casing, Celestia lifted the boxes lid with her magic. Within was what looked like a golden three pronged dragon claw with one of talons broken off. It looked seemingly insignificant to Luna.

“Umm… and this is…?”

Celestia barely acknowledged her. “It may not look the same, but if you recall the dark crown that rested on Magolor’s brow, you will see some similarities. Should you also feel out with your magic you might sense a bit of his power still lingering on it.”

Luna’s eyes widened at this and asked the obvious question, “Sister, where did you find this?!”

Celestia took in a deep breath as she answered, “Sometime after your… leave of absence,” she said choosing her words carefully as she went on, “But before Canterlot had been founded, I discovered it at the base of this very mountain. The ground it laid upon had died and withered while the air was thick with a sickening miasma. I carefully sealed it up and I have kept it safely stored away. Thankfully its remnant power has waned over the years.”

Luna nodded at this and Celestia smiled at her only to become sad again a moment later. “Unfortunately, this is not the whole crown and I only discovered it through sheer luck. I worry if the other pieces are still lying dormant throughout Equestria and…” she looked seriously at Luna as she spoke her next words, “…if he could have returned with them.”

Luna swallowed and shifted nervously. “We can see your concern then. Perhaps we should seek out the other parts–“

“No,” Celestia said sternly to her, causing the mare to look at her in confusion. She quickly explained herself, “It’s obvious he gained some power from his crown. Should we gather the remnants we would only make it easier for him to regain that power. Who’s to say that bringing the pieces together wouldn’t hasten his return? Should we by chance find another piece of his crown I think it would be best if we kept it as far away from the others as possible. Put them somewhere where nopony could ever hope to reach them. For now, letting them remain lost is probably for the best.”

“We see. Yes, you’re right. Tis better for them to be scattered than to allow him to conveniently know where they are,” Luna agreed as Celestia closed the lid holding the remnant of the crown. Had either of them looked down as the lid fell, they would have noticed one of the talons twitching slightly…

Author's Note:

Originally, I was making this the opening of chapter 4, but then I thought it would be better as an interlude since I was having trouble figuring out how I would transition from third person to second person and thought this will help tide you over till I do chapter 4.