• Published 4th May 2014
  • 5,222 Views, 129 Comments

C-R-O-W-N-E-D S-O-U-L - Mordy



A human is transformed into Magolor Soul when he puts on the Master Crown. But when the Elements of Harmony are used on him he is reduced to a shadow of his former self. That doesn't stop him from seeking revenge!

  • ...
9
 129
 5,222

Ch. 3 Not What it Seems

C-R-O-W-N-E-D S-O-U-L
By: Mordy

Ch. 3 Not What it Seems

Despite what little memories I have of my human life, I still recall how I came across the crown. The details are fuzzy and foggy and I can’t recall what I looked like. Whenever I try it’s just a blurry face. Probably because it was so long ago and I’ve spent more of my existence as Magolor.

It was an antique shop. I know that sounds like on odd place to find an all-powerful crown and maybe a little bit clichéd. Though some of you might be wondering what kind of guy goes to an antique shop? Well, it was on a whim. I had passed the place a few times before, but then one day I just felt… drawn to it. As if my curiosity had to be sated.

I don’t recall what the place looked like or the owner. But I do remember the first time I laid eyes on my most valued treasure; the Master Crown. To quickly describe it, it was a golden crown with spikes extending from its greenish blue jewel and base.

I of course recognized it from Return to Dreamland and thought it nothing more than a prop. I did think it was weird that it was in an antique shop, but merely guessed that someone made a replica and tricked the owner into buying it like it was a real collector’s piece.

Normally I’d never buy such a thing, yet I felt unusually compelled to purchase it. Looking back at that time, I think it was the crown already trying to influence me and lead me to a greater destiny. That or I thought it looked cool.

The shop keep sold it to me real cheap and I took it home. On the way I felt my eyes constantly drawn to the supposed replica. As if it was calling, whispering for my undivided attention.

I didn’t finally wear it till I was safe inside my apartment. The moment it touched my head the claws gripped tightly against my skull and my world went black as I felt myself drawn away from this existence and into the next. Then, in the deepest pit of darkness I saw… it…


My eyes darted open with a jolt as I looked around in a panic. When I realized I wasn’t in danger I began to calm down as I took in my surroundings. Wooden walls that seemed like the place had been carved out of a tree. Books upon books were neatly placed on shelves scattered throughout the place. I quickly realized I was inside of a library.

Fear gripped me momentarily as I realized where I was; Twilight’s home. That meant the Elements of Harmony were nearby which meant I could be in huge trouble!

I hopped up, finding myself sitting on a pillow I had been laid down on. A blanket fell off me as I noticed I was on top of a table as well. Looking over the situation, it became apparent that I wasn’t in danger and was merely taken in to recover from my injuries. This was a huge relief, meaning the girls had decided I had just been an innocent bystander that had suffered from Discord’s temporary escape.

Discord… that name was making my blood boil after he used me. Not to mention his mistreatment got me so weak that I was nearly killed by Pinkie Pie poking me to death. What kind of insulting way to die is that?! Though, I am a giant eyeball, so I suppose my greatest fear would be a large, sharp stick.

It seemed I was alone at the time which was unusual. I thought they would have been here to watch over me. I couldn’t help, but wonder where they could be.

After that very next thought the door to the library was covered in a pinkish aura as it swung open and the mane six started to pour in.

Well, there’s the Pony Power Rangers now…

“Aww man, that was great!” Rainbow Dash cheered as she flew in and past Twilight, flying laps around the library.

“Darn tootin!” Applejack said in her southern drawl as she came in next. “Real nice of the Princess to give us a ceremony to thank us like that.”

Rarity came in shortly after with Fluttershy slinking behind and Pinkie hopping along as Twilight shut the door behind them. “I have to agree, it was absolutely fabulous!” Rarity swooned as she looked skyward.

Ah, the Star Wars ending ceremony. That’s right… it happened right after Discord was defeated. They must have left me here to rest while they went to it.

Pinkie then started to chip in, “Yeah! It was all like drama. Then it was like epic congratulations. Then everypony was all cheering. Then came the credits and the theme music. Then everypony in the audience would clap and start to leave their seats. Then some would go to the bathroom while others would head out to go home. All the while they’d talk how awesome the movie was and how amazing the special effects were–“

I think everyone in the room stopped listening to Pinkie ramble out what seemed like mostly nonsense after that point. It was nice I got it. Was kind of like being part of an inside joke. Actually, it was exactly like that.

Twilight rolled her eyes at Pinkie’s antics. “Yes, I’m just glad everypony is safe and–“

She was suddenly cut off by a sharp gasp as everyone turned to look at Fluttershy. The buttermilk pegasi pointed with her hoof with her mouth open shouting, “Look!”

As everyone turned to see what she was pointing at, it took me a moment to realize her hoof was pointed towards me. I decided to play innocent and just cocked my head or rather my body in confusion.

Applejack gave off a long whistle. “Gee, that critter there sure recovered fast. Umm…” She squinted her eyes at me before asking, “Uh, is it me or does he… she… it look different now?”

Twilight rubbed her chin and nodded. “Yeah, looks less slimy than before. Silky smooth I’d say.”

At that comment I did my best to look over my body. Sure enough my dark matter had solidified into something more stable thanks to all the energy I had absorbed. Unfortunately I was still very weak thanks to Discord’s interference, forcing my body to use most of that energy to heal.

“I… umm… also don’t remember him having… umm–“

“Wait, how do you know it’s a he Flutters?” Rainbow Dash interrupted as she swooped down in front of said mare.

Fluttershy stuttered for a moment in her quiet voice, “W-w-well, it just seems like a he to me. I’m pretty sure he’s a he… I think.”

Gold star to Fluttershy for getting my correct gender!

“Gender aside dear, what were you about to say?” Rarity inquired.

“Oh! Well, I don’t remember him having ears before,” Fluttershy pointed out.

I blinked at that statement. Ears? I thought as one point of my odd long ears flicked. My eyes looked left and then right where out of the corner of them I could see what looked like a long rounded pointed horn protruding from my form on each side. At first I thought that wasn’t normal, but then I thought back to Magolor’s base form where he always had that hat on with two ear like points poking out of his head. I guess it was possible he had some ears hidden under there.

So, I suddenly had ears like a Pikachu. Yeah, that screamed frightening alright…

“Aww, how cute!” Pinkie shouted as she jumped out of nowhere from behind me and started to wiggle the pointed things with a giggle. They would flick involuntarily at her touch just adding all that much more to the cute factor.

I jumped away from the menace as quickly as I could. I was still mad at her for poking me from before, resulting in me passing out. I would have just kicked myself it that had been my final blow of defeat.

I began to hop away as Pinkie chased me around. Meanwhile, Twilight started to pull books out of shelves, scanning the titles before picking out more and laying out helpful ones to the side. She already had five books stacked before Rarity asked what she was doing, “Twilight what are you up to?”

Twilight turned back to regard her and the others for a moment. She paused before answering, watching me hop under legs to get away from Pinkie. “Well, I’ve never seen such a creature before so I thought I’d go through various encyclopedias’ to see what he, as Fluttershy insists, is.”

It was at that point I had somehow ended up in Fluttershy’s hooves as she gave Pinkie a glare that a mother would give a child. This made pink pony back off while splaying her ears back with a sheepish grin. I was happy to get away from the mare when Fluttershy started to massage my body. At first I was annoyed, but then it started to feel real nice so I closed my little eyes and purred a little.

Everyone thought it was weird, but paid it little mind and instead turned their attention to the door. A short purple dragon came walking in carrying some groceries. Spike waved to everyone with his free claw. “Okay, we’re now restocked,” he said mostly to Twilight as he walked over to the table and setting the brown bag of supplies down.

“Thanks Spike,” Twilight replied as she scrutinized over another book. “We’re just trying to figure out what our little friend over there is.” She motioned to me with a hoof, not bothering to look back.

Spike turned to see me and his eyes went wide. “Whoa… what is it?”

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” Fluttershy answered as she continued to massage what was basically the skin covering my large eye.

“Hey, maybe it’s some kind of alien?”

Everyone rolled their eyes while I had to stop myself from giggling at the fact that he was technically right.

Pinkie Pie however, decided to chip in. “Ooo, maybe he’s an alien sorcerer!”

“Yeah, his ship crash landed when Discord escaped and we have to collect the missing pieces!” Spike continued.

“Then he’ll thank us by offering to take us back to his home planet!” Pinkie added again as her and Spike got closer as they started to bounce off ideas.

“But then we get there and some giant four headed beast attacks and we have to go defeat it!”

“Oh, but it turns out that monster was guarding an ancient artifact and the little alien was using us to do the dirty work for him.”

“Then he uses it to become super evil and take over the universe!” Spike finished as him and Pinkie glared me down.

They both got into my face and shouted, “WE’RE ONTO YOU!”

I just backed up in shock on how dead on they were to Return to Dreamland’s plot, but it was Pinkie Pie after all and Spike did have a bit of an overactive imagination. I would have been worried if I didn’t already have a feeling about what was going to happen next.

Twilight growled in frustration and rubbed her temple. “Augh, please! Spike, no more comics for you and Pinkie, don’t encourage him!”

They both groaned as they backed off and gave me some distance. I totally saw that coming. Though, didn’t stop it from being a bit unnerving.

Twilight picked up the books she had selected and placed them on the table, “Now, if you want to help me figure out what he really is then grab a book and start researching.”

Rarity and Applejack trotted over to look through some, but Rainbow Dash on the other hand just yawned, “What do I look like, an egghead? I’ll let you guys take care of the brain work.” This comment earned her an annoyed glare from Twilight, but it went unnoticed.

One wasted hour later…

I had to control myself from chuckling as twilight slammed her head against a book in frustration. Even AJ and Rarity weren’t having any more luck.

“Nothing! How can there be nothing? Is he some kind of new undiscovered species?” Twilights eyes went wide with that thought and before I knew it she was right up in my face with a grin I was not too fond of. “A new undiscovered creature. I could publish a book about it for such a discovery!”

“Umm, that’s nice Twilight, but could you maybe stop staring out our friend like a hungry timberwolf? I think it’s making him nervous,” Fluttershy said calmly. She was now my favorite pony in the room.

Twilight blushed and smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, got carried away there for a second. Still, I really need to study him some more.”

Fluttershy nodded. “I’m sure you’ll have plenty of chances, but maybe you should let the little guy rest first. He’s had a really long day I think.” Fluttershy patted my head, but then she noticed something odd with each pat. She lifted her hoof off of me, causing some black ooze to trail behind. She just blinked at it in confusion, but I could tell it was the remnants of the liquid dark matter from before I had more fully formed.

Twilight’s eyes widened to the size of dinner plates and she rushed off to her room only to teleport back to us second later with a test tube in her magic. She carefully held it up to catch as much of the liquid as she could. She was able to get about a fifth of the tube filled before she sealed it.

She hummed, twirling the pitch black dark matter inside as Rainbow floated over with the others to get a better look. Rainbow cocked her head and asked, “So… what is it?”

“It’s… umm… I’m not sure,” Twilight admitted as she kept staring at it. “I’m going to have to run some tests when I get a chance.”

There was a loud yawn from Applejack at that. “Well that there is good and all, but this cowpony needs to hit the hay. Those apple trees ain’t gonna buck themselves.” She made a leave for the door as she began to head out.

“Yeah, I got weather duty in the morning. Discord really messed up the weather’s schedule and it’s gonna be up to me to get it back in order,” Rainbow added with a slight groan and started to leave with Applejack.

“I’m gonna miss all those chocolate raining cotton candy clouds,” Pinkie said as she started to heavily salivate, causing drool to pour all over the floor.

Rarity grimaced and cleared her throat at the sight. “Pinkie, maybe you should head back to the cakes. I’m sure you’ll have a lot work to do in the morning as well.”

Pinkie gasped with huge breath that seemed to drain all the air out of the room. “OHMIGOSH you’re right! I gotta get the party ready!” Like lightning she was out the door with a heavy gust of wind.

Rarity looked at me for a moment with a hum before a smile crept onto her face as she reached into her saddlebags to pull out a tape measure. She then took the thing and wrapped it around my waist and then my ears followed by getting a few other minor measurements, much to my annoyance.

“Umm, what are you doing?” Fluttershy asked, asking everyone’s thoughts, including my own.

“Oh, well some ponies like to dress up their pets in outfits and I was thinking if this is a new species there isn’t going to be anypony offering any sort of clothing option. So, I just thought I might try and corner that little market while making this adorable guy even cuter!” Rarity had started to use baby talk towards the end while speaking at me and even pinching my cheek with her magic. I think I saw Spike give me the stink eye for that little bit of attention.

Frankly, I was a bit annoyed and insulted. Not just for the baby talk, but also that Rarity might turn me into her personal dress up doll. There was no way I was going to put up with her dressing–

That line of thought receded when I had a brilliant idea. Or rather, what would be Rarity’s brilliant idea. I still had some of my powers to make suggestions to others. So, I just implanted a little image into Rarity’s head.

The fashionetta gasped as her eyes twinkled. “Oh my stars, I’ve been struck with inspiration. I must get started right away! If you will please excuse me girls I have a grand ensemble to make. Ta-ta!” With that Rarity trotted right out while flicking her mane dramatically.

Twilight just sighed with a small smile while shaking her head. She returned her attention to me and then stated out loud, “Well, guess we need to figure out where you’re staying. Personally, I’d like you to stay here…”

Yes, I can spy on you and figure out how to disable you and the rest of the elements!

“…so I can keep an eye on you, watch your every move, and perform a few experiments!” Twilight finished with a less than sane grin.

I backed up away from the obviously deranged mare and closer into Fluttershy’s embrace. Never mind, I want the walking doormat instead!

Fluttershy was obviously aware of my discomfort. “Twilight, I think maybe… umm… he should stay with me. I-I-If that’s okay with you, that is.”

Twilight blinked and started to see how fearful I was of her. She blushed and giggled. “Oh… yeah. Maybe you’d have more luck with him. I can just study this to see what I can figure out,” she said, motioning to the vial of dark matter.

Fluttershy lifted me up and placed me on her back while smiling at me then nodded to Twilight. “Well, I should really head home and get this poor little guy settled in. I also still need to feed Angel. Oh dear, I hope he’s not upset.”

The two mares said their goodbyes and Fluttershy gave Spike a little pat on the head before we both went out into Ponyville. The sun was beginning to set and it wouldn’t be long before nightfall.


To my surprise, Fluttershy’s cottage was very clean. I had half expected the place to smell like a pet store. However, it seemed the mare took great care not just of the animals, but also her home so guests would feel just as comfortable as her animals did when staying. Not that I expected her to have guests all that often.

When we had arrived, there to greet us was Satan… sorry I mean Angel. That little fluffy hell spawn was an absolute pain. The rabbit constantly bossed Fluttershy around and he had no love for me either. The poor mare had to feed him before she could even take care of me, thus she just set me on the couch while she fed the little demon.

After the bossy bunny had finally been appeased, Fluttershy left the room for a moment, only to come back with an animal size wooden tub filled with warm water. I peered curiously at it and didn’t have much time to ponder about it when the shy mare picked me up with a cheerful smile. “Ups-a-daisy!”

I soon realized that Fluttershy thought of me as a child just like Rarity. I half glared out into space in frustration at this constant degradation of my being that I was forced to deal with.

She placed me in the tub and I let off what was close to a sigh at how nice the water felt. When Fluttershy started to brush me with soap and water though, I started to let off a pleased purr. She may treat me like a baby, but if she kept up these wonderful spa-like pleasures, then I could probably get used to this. At least until I recovered my power. Though, I could get behind having a personal masseuse.

Fluttershy hummed a little tune as she scrubbed every corner of me before washing me off. I noticed that more of the tar looking dark matter was washed off, but I still retained my black surface. It was the last of the stuff that was left over from before I had reformed. It did make me worry about the sample Twilight got, but I doubt she would be able to make any connections. It was a substance unknown to this world after all.

I was finally taken out of my bath and dried off by Fluttershy, removing the last of the goo. I felt a lot better actually, it was always nice to get cleaned up and now I could start scheming on what to do next.

As Fluttershy cleaned up the mess and took the tub away, I was unexpectedly poked by a pesky fur ball. I turned around to peer down at Angel, the little rabbit giving me a glare while tapping his oversized foot impatiently. He made a little signal of pointing at his eyes and then at me. He was very keen on making it obvious that he didn’t like me at all. It was adorable that he thought he could just boss me around as easily as Fluttershy.

Seeing that he was eager to make an enemy out of me and the fact I had dealt with so much crap today I thought now would be a good time to vent a little frustration. So, I began to smile.

Angel just looked confused at my reaction. He didn’t think he would get a smile out of me or that I even had a mouth. Well, I sort of didn’t. It was as I opened my so called mouth wider that Angel quickly began to realize it wasn’t a mouth at all. It was an eyelid.

My red eye stared at the rabbit, while my mouth looked like a smile, but the way it held my giant eye made it look more like I was glaring menacingly at the bunny. The look on his face was… priceless.

That rabbits ears fell and his mouth dropped as his eyes widened in terror. Angel began to back pedal so fast that if he had gone faster I’d dare say he would have created a new door for Fluttershy’s home.

I just continued my death glare as Angel had a mini heart attack while keeping his back against the wall. I then started to hop toward him, slowly, savoring the fear that flowed out of him like fine wine. I never took my eye off him as I kept getting closer and closer.

“There we go, all done!” Fluttershy announced as she flapped back into the room.

I immediately shut my large eye making my mouth disappear as I turned to her using my eyes to give an emoticon like cheerful face. Angel however, scrambled over to Fluttershy and started to squeak out what sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me, but I started to worry when Fluttershy gasped.

“A red eye?!” Fluttershy shot over to me and started to look me over. “Oh, you poor thing! Are you hurt? Are you bleeding? Is your eye infected?” Fluttershy’s misunderstanding of what Angel said made the bunny face palm.

A few more passes over me and Fluttershy sighed with relief. “Angel, he’s fine. Please don’t scare mommy like that. You must be getting tired so, I think it’s time for you to head to bed. It’s beginning to get late.”

The rabbit started to try and explain again, but Fluttershy had stopped listening and returned her attention to me. “Now little one, would you like something to eat? Oh!” she exclaimed as she noticed that I had gotten on the couch and shut my eyes in an attempt to sleep.

She fawned over how cute I looked and smiled to herself. “Well, I guess you’re still tired. We can get you something to eat in the morning. Good night!” She patted me on the head a few times as she flew upstairs.

Angel watched her leave before he turned back to me to stare at my sleeping form, but he jolted when I opened my big eye again. I looked at the frightened rabbit as I chuckled. “Best not say anything little bunny,” I started, but paused only to regard how weak and cute my voice sounded as well before I continued, “If you say too much, bad things might start to happen… kehehehe…”

I shut my, seeing Angel gulp just as I closed it. The rabbit was quick to scurry off and sleep upstairs where he thought he would be safe with Fluttershy. I giggled one last time as I drifted off to sleep. I was going to have fun with him…

Author's Note:

There we go, another chapter! If you're wondering what Magolor's voice sounds like, think of Vivi from Kingdom Hearts 2.

I believe I've decided on a name that the mane six will decide to give him since he'll avoid talking around them.