• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 1,706 Views, 29 Comments

In the Memory of a Princess - CatFlash



When Celestia and Luna pass away, Princess Celestia puts the Mane Six in charge of running the kingdom. She guides them through her dead words and leaves important magic for them to use while ruling Equestria.

  • ...
4
 29
 1,706

Chapter One

“Hey guys. Can I please have your attention?” Twilight Sparkle shouted over her chatting friends.
The girls were in a hotel suite at the heart of Canterlot getting ready for the Summer Sun Celebration.
“Guys? Hello? BE QUITE!” Twilight ended up shouting.
The room went quiet.
“Thank you,” Twilight began again, “I would like you to know how much I appreciate all you coming down here to help out with the festival. Thank you-”
Twilight was interrupted by a very exuberant Pinkie Pie.
“Yeah! You go Twilight! Best speech EVER! WHOO!”
“Pinkie! I’m not finished yet!”
“Oh. Sorry!”
“Anyways,” Twilight continued. “Thank you Fluttershy for arranging your bird choir, Rarity for designing the theme, Pinkie-”
“THAT”S ME!”
“YES Pinkie, that’s you. Thanks for throwing the party, Rainbow Dash, we thank you for yours and the Wonderbolts’ performance coming up, and Applejack, great appreciation goes out to you for your wonderful cooking!”
“How much longer ‘till this thing starts?” asked a very impatient Rainbow Dash.
“We still have three hours, Rainbow.” replied Applejack.
“Perfect!” squealed Rarity. “That’s the perfect amount of time for us to get prepared! Fluttershy, darling, do you want me to throw something together quickly for your little bird friends to wear?”
“Oh no thank you.” Fluttershy said very quietly.
The girls began to hustle around, putting on dresses, applying make-up and doing each others manes.
In the midst all this commotion, there was a knock at the door.
As Twilight walked across the room to open it, the noise inside the room did not waver or even stop.
Twilight opened the door, and in the doorway stood a Royal Guard with a straight face and no emotions.
“Hello.” the guard greeted her. “Are you Princess Twilight Sparkle?”
“Yes I am.” Twilight said. “Is there something wrong?”
“Indeed. Some kind of incident has occurred at the palace. I am also looking for a Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkamena Diane Pie.”
Hearing the guard call her by her full name, Pinkie Pie was at the door in a flash.
“Did somepony say my name? Oh that must have been you!” she exclaimed. “Hi! My name is Pinkie Pie! What’s yours? What’s your favorite color? Do you like peaches? How about candy? How fast can you run? When’s your birthday? What’s your social security number? I love pizza! Do you? Can-”
“PINKIE!” Twilight shouted.
“Oh hi Twilight! I was just talking to my new friend- wait. You never said what your name is!”
The guard turned to Twilight and hissed in an urgent voice.
“It’s very important that you and your friends come down to the palace immediately!”
“Ok I understand.” Twilight said to the guard. She then turned around and yelled, “Girls, something’s up at the palace. It’s important that we get down there ASAP! Now, lets move!”

-Thirty Minutes Later-

The six ponies were walking through the corridors in the palace. The whole building was hushed in complete silence as if everypony in the castle was in deep sleep.
It seemed as though they walked, or in Pinkie Pie’s case, hopped, through the entire castle.
“May I ask, good sir,” Rarity began, “Where are you taking us and for what reason?”
“This may come as a bit of a shock to you all, but Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have gone missing. The only clue of where they may have gone is in Princess Celestia’s dressing chamber. She left all of you a note and something inside a box. Since these things may have spells on them, the security here including myself thought it best if you six open these things first.” the guard explained.
The group came to a stop in front of a door.
“Here we are!” the guard said.
He opened the door and stood aside for the ponies to enter.
The room took everypony’s breath away- the whole room seemed to glow.
Floor to ceiling windows lined the back wall, letting the sun’s light cover the smooth white marble floor. A grand chest with Princess Celestia’s cutie mark sat against the east wall with a large, gold vanity facing towards this same wall. The room was painted a light but shimmering silver with gold swirl designs chasing each other on the silver background. Although the room itself was small, the beauty of it was very profound.
“Why, it’s absolutely GORGEOUS!” cried a delighted Rarity.
“Whoo, golly!” breathed Applejack.
“Isn't it lovely?” asked Fluttershy.
“Eh, it’s nice I guess.” Rainbow Dash bluffed.
“Pretty!” cooed Pinkie Pie.
As Twilight looked around the room, she noticed an antique box and note sitting next to each other on the vanity.
Turning to the guard, she asked, “Is that the box and note you were talking about?”
“Yes, Ma’m. You can go ahead and open both if you like. I’ll stay outside to give you some privacy.”
“Thanks.” Twilight said.
After the guard stepped outside the room, Twilight headed towards the vanity.
With her magic, Twilight picked up the parchment, broke the seal and unrolled it.
In a clear and concise voice, Twilight began to read from it.
“‘My dearest Twilight and friends Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy. I am so sorry to leave you, but you have to go when death is literally standing outside your door.’”