• Published 26th Apr 2014
  • 678 Views, 34 Comments

Separate Ways - Eventide Indigo



Eleven years have passed since Rarity met Twilight Sparkle. One year has passed since she moved to Canterlot. These are the letters sent between these friends.

  • ...
2
 34
 678

What We Have

To: Twilight Sparkle
From: Rarity

Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville
Equestria
PR3 T2L

Dear Twilight,

I’ve finally arrived in Canterlot and I must say that although my new location is… more than a little unclean, I see great potential for it! It is much roomier than the Carousel Boutique and I am sure we can do something about that mold growing in the basement. Of course, I won’t be taking care of it. Simply thinking of something so filthy as mold makes me shudder. Things like mold shouldn’t exist.

Once I get this place cleaned up, I will be sure to invite you ladies over for a housewarming soiree! I understand that my departure wounded you, but do try and forgive me, darling. I care about you and all the rest of our friends and fellow Ponyvillians so very much. Sweetie Belle said she would miss me, but she chose to stay behind with our parents and continue her crusading. I think it’s good she stayed behind, Sweetie does not adapt well to change.

Opalescence refuses to stay in this dusty old heap until it is restored, so I am planning on booking a suite in the luxury pet hotel down the street.

Is everything going over well in Ponyville? I know the girls took this whole thing very hard. I miss you all so much. I think Sweetie isn’t the only one who has a hard time adapting to change.

Sincerely yours,
Rarity
XOXOXO

***

To: Rarity
From: Twilight Sparkle

Rarity
217 Upturn Alley
Canterlot
Equestria
UC3 R1B

Dear Rarity,

More spacious? What in the hay are you planning on doing with all that extra space anyways? I thought the Carousel Boutique was just right. It was so wonderfully snug and humble in there, I can’t imagine why you’d ever want to leave.

Actually, mold is a very important part of our delicate ecosystem. It is a decomposer, which helps keep the ground clear of rotting carcasses and whatnot. If you stop by your local library, I would suggest you take a peek at ‘Fun With Fungus and Other Things’, despite the silly title, it was truly an eye-opening read. Attached is a study I did for fifth grade detailing the positive effects of decomposition, which, by the way, are numerous.

I bet Pinkie would love to help you plan the party! Has she sent you any letters? I gave her your new address and postal code as you asked. Don’t be offended is she hasn’t… she’s been very deflated since you left us behind. We all have. Fluttershy took it especially hard.

Wish you were here!

Your Faithful Friend,
Twilight Sparkle

***

To: Twilight Sparkle
From: Rarity

Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville
Equestria
PR3 T2L

Dear Twilight,

While I now know several facts about mold that I am certain I will never need, it is still a mystery to me why you all are so devastated. I’ve merely moved, not gone and died! You visit Canterlot plenty of times, just assure you drop in for a visit when you are in town and it will be like old times.

As for Pinkie Pie, she always has been a rather dramatic pony. Remember when Rainbow Dash ate the first slice of cake at her birthday party? Pinkie didn’t speak to her for weeks! We’ve known each other for ten years, Twilight. we are grown mares now and I hope Pinkie Pie learns to act her age sometime. Honestly, I wish you could all just be happy for me and move on. We’re still the best of friends…

Right?

Sincerely,
Rarity
XOXOXO
***

To: Rarity
From: Pinkie Pie

Rarity
217 Upturn Alley
Canterlot
Equestria
UC3 R1B

Rarity!!

You big meanie mean-pants! None of us have had time to write to you yet so we were reading your responses from Twilight! How could you?? Twilight didn’t mean to cause trouble but I’m glad I read it. Why would you say those things about me? Grow up? Act my age? I do act my age, for your information!

I thought we were best best best BEST friends too, but after that letter… I’m really not so sure!! Real friends don’t say terrible, mean things behind their friend’s backs, ESPECIALLY to another bestie! Real friends like Twilight and Fluttershy and Dashie and Applejack and Gummy do NOT do that, so why do you?

You say I should grow up, but maybe you should look in the mirror sister! Actually, no, we’re NOT sisters. I’m not sisters or pals or chums or anything with meanie-pants like you. Princess Celestia sent Twilight to Ponyville to learn about friendship, but I’m not so sure she’s the one who needed lessons!

Don’t bother writing back!! You’d probably find my letters all boring and foalish anyway, because apparently I am A BIG STUPID FOAL WHO DOESN’T ACT MY AGE!

For the Element of ‘Generosity’, you can be so selfish.

Good. Bye.
Pinkie Pie

P.S. You OBVIOUSLY don’t understand the importance of eating the first piece of cake on your birthday!! It is very very VERY important, in case you didn’t get the ‘list of important things’ memo!

P.P.S. Goodbye forever now! I won’t write anything more to you startiiiiiing…. NOW!

***

To: Twilight Sparkle
From: Rarity

Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville
Equestria
PR3 T2L

Sweet Celestia, what have I done? I feel simply awful about the terrible things I said to Pinkie Pie. I wish I could apologize, but she told me not to write her back. I don’t suppose you could pass on a message to her, could you? Be sure to tell her that I am so very sorry for what I said and that I didn’t mean a word of it, the stress of re-opening my business has really been weighing on me and I’ve been lashing out at ponies I love!

You’re a dear, Twilight. I know you didn’t mean to start this, so don’t feel guilty about it.

Lots of love!
Rarity
XOXOXO

P.S. Is everypony else angry with me as well?

***

To: Rarity
From: Twilight Sparkle

Rarity
217 Upturn Alley
Canterlot
Equestria
UC3 R1B

Don’t have much time to write. Passed on message. Pinkie Pie covered her ears and went ‘lalalalala’. I’m trying to tell her again. Says she doesn’t want to listen to anything you have to say. Try writing her again. Make it very sincere. Girls aren’t mad. Fluttershy hasn’t come out of her cottage for days though. I’m worried.

Twilight Sparkle

***

To: Pinkie Pie
From: Rarity

Pinkie Pie
Sugarcube Corner
Ponyville
Equestria
PT8 9FH

Dearest Pinkie Pie,

Hello, it’s Rarity again. I know you said not to send you another letter, but the guilt is unbearable. I am a horrible pony and I do not deserve a smidgen of the love and friendship we have shared for the past ten years. I honestly don’t know why I wrote those things, let alone thought them. I know that you were just being you and I shouldn’t have spoken about you like that, especially not to a fellow ‘bestie’.

Words cannot describe how awful I feel about this whole incident. I only hope that you can be more generous than I ever was and find it in you to forgive me.
Lots of love!
Rarity
XOXOXO

***

To: Twilight Sparkle
From: Rarity

Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville
Equestria
PR3 T2L

Dear Twilight,

I sent Pinkie a letter of apology two weeks ago, yet she hasn’t responded. Do you know if she got it or not? Also, how are things? Has Fluttershy come out yet?

Sincerely,
Rarity
XOXOXO

***

To: Rarity
From: Twilight Sparkle

Rarity
217 Upturn Alley
Canterlot
Equestria
UC3 R1B

I have some good news and some bad news, so I shall begin with the bad news. I saw Pinkie Pie check the mailbox at Sugarcube Corner and she pulled out what look like one of your blue envelopes. She tore it up.

The good news is Fluttershy finally came out for a short period of time. Only for an hour or two, but she seemed to be all smiles. Her eyes were a bit puffy and red. I think she’s been crying… a lot. She really misses you. We all do. Rainbow Dash and Applejack haven’t complained about missing you, but they tense up when you’re mentioned. Pinkie Pie just acts as if she doesn’t know you. Don’t worry about her, I’m sure she’ll come around. I think I’ll try talking to her about this whole ordeal again tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Your Faithful Friend,
Twilight Sparkle
XOXOXO

***

To: Twilight Sparkle
From: Rarity

Twilight Sparkle
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville
Equestria
PR3 T2L

Dear Twilight,

Oh my, she really is angry, isn’t she? It’s a shame she tore it up, and I have a feeling it isn’t to re-construct it like a jigsaw puzzle this time. That’s delightful news about Fluttershy! Applejack would have my flank for dishonesty if I said that I haven’t shed a few tears at the thought of leaving you all behind… however, I have made my decision and it is final! Ponyville will always be my home at heart, but I shall remain in Canterlot.

The new boutique is coming along nicely. The final coat of paint is drying as we speak, so I’m staying in a hotel right now. I’ve finally finished organizing all my stuff into their drawers and cupboards, and I even managed to recreate my inspirational ‘organized chaos’ room. Isn’t that simply delightful news? Since I arrived at Canterlot I have been filled with ideas! I’m working on my first ensemble since moving here and it is looking fabulous! Opalescence shall be pleased to have her home back, I’m sure. I miss the poor dear.

Do tell Fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow Dash to write me! I’m not sure Pinkie can be persuaded at this point.

Sincerely,
Rarity
XOXOXO

P.S. Those envelopes I use aren’t just blue. Blue can be simply garish if it’s too dark! It was a few shades darker than sky blue, but not quite as vibrant as robin-egg blue.
***

To: Rarity
From: Fluttershy

Rarity
217 Upturn Alley
Canterlot
Equestria
UC3 R1B

Dear Rarity,

Hello. I don’t write many letters, but I’m glad you asked me to write to you. I was worried you would move on and find some fancier ponies to be friends with. I’m glad that hasn’t happened yet.

Twilight’s been rather mad about this whole thing, but I think it’s wonderful you’re following your dreams. My parents and the few friends I had up in Cloudsdale were pretty disappointed when I decided to stay on the ground, but if I hadn’t I never would have met you girls. Maybe you’ll meet new ponies and have new adventures, but promise me you won’t ever forget where your real home is…

And no, I don’t mean Ponyville. Ponyville has changed us all, but there is a place much more important, and that’s our hearts. All I want is for you to be happy, and if that means staying in Canterlot, then I’ll stand behind you… from a distance. Canterlot kind of scares me.

Visit us soon! If that’s alright with you, I mean.

Love,
Fluttershy

***

To: Fluttershy
From: Rarity

Fluttershy
Cottage near Everfree Forest
Ponyville
Equestria
EF2 C4F

Dear Fluttershy,

It is so marvelous to hear from you darling!

I am so glad you feel that way. I was worried I had made myself into an enemy by picking up and leaving for Canterlot like I did. I’m glad not everypony is angry with me. Speaking of making enemies, has Pinkie Pie talked about me at all? I angered her over a month ago and we still haven’t made up. I still feel awful about it. I really do miss her cheery personality. I guess I took having her around for granted, because without her… I feel so empty. I took all of you for granted, and I’m sorry. I’ve invested too much in this trip to turn back now, but I certainly wish I could. I wish I could see you and hug you all and laugh with you. Ten years… we spent ten years together growing and changing. I never realized what I had until it was gone…

I just wish I could tell Pinkie Pie that. Alas, it’s no use. She hates me now, and rightfully so. Twilight does as well then? I couldn’t tell from her letters, but I can see why she would be. I miss you all so much.
There I go again, making everything about me! My apologies, Fluttershy. How have you been lately?

With love, regret and very little sleep,
Rarity
XOXOXO

***

To: Rarity
From: Pinkie Pie

Rarity
217 Upturn Alley
Canterlot
Equestria
UC3 R1B

Dear Rarity,

Hi! It’s me, Pinkie Pie. I thought I’d drop in and say (or write, I guess. Wouldn’t it be so super duper wonderful if instead of writing letters, you would just talk to the paper and it would record your voice and then replay it for the pony on the other end?! IDEA! I should copyright that!! Do you know any fancy Canterlot ponies that can help me patent that? Please, please, PLEASE tell me you do) … wait, what was I writing about again? Hold on… let me read this again.

Oh yeeeeeah! I thought I’d drop in and say that I, Pinkamena Diane Pie, accept your apology. Fluttershy showed me the letter and I nearly cried!! I thought you hated me so I pretended to hate you too instead of admitting that I still missed you and was wounded… but now I know better! I miss you too, Rarie! Oooh! Can I call you Rarie? Sounds funny in my head!! Rarie, Rarie, Rarie! Doesn’t it sound funny in your head too?

Teehee. Rarie.

Loooooots of love!
Pinkie Pie