• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 2,325 Views, 130 Comments

Retirement Blues - Alaborn



A Canterlot police detective wants to enjoy a quiet retirement and develop a stronger relationship with his daughter. So he decides to move to Ponyville. He moves in three days after another pony: Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
10
 130
 2,325

Chapter 6: Home for the Holidays

Retirement Blues

By Alaborn

Standard disclaimer: This is a not for profit fan work. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyright Hasbro, Inc. I make no claim to any copyrighted material mentioned herein.

Chapter 6: Home for the Holidays


Gold Watch took a seat on a bench outside a small office building at precisely five o’clock in the afternoon. The winter air was chilly, but the sweater he wore helped him stay warm. He watched the front door of the office building. He estimated he would be waiting for between twenty and twenty-five minutes.

Twenty-two minutes and twenty seconds later, Colgate exited via the front door, after having spent a fairly average amount of time cleaning her office. Gold Watch rose and trotted over to his daughter.

“Hi, Dad,” Colgate said.

“Hi, Colgate. You don’t have any plans for the holidays, right?”

“Nothing special. I just took care of my last customer for the year. Typically, I use this time to catch up around the house.”

“And typically, I worked. I kept watch at the station and let the others spend time with their families. But that’s not an option anymore.” He gazed off into the distance, toward the high mountain peak where Canterlot stood. “I wanted to spend this year doing something I haven’t done for years. I want to enjoy a proper Canterlot Hearth’s Warming. And I’d like to celebrate it with you.”

Colgate pondered his offer. She enjoyed spending some time alone. Or, rather, that’s what she always said. Her mind brought her back to the first Hearth’s Warming she remembered spending without her father. She was eight, and her father was probably taking his turn working on the holiday. But all she remembered was how wrong it felt to not have him at the head of the table at dinner. She recalled leaving a gift unopened until her father returned. And then, when she returned to school, she was regaled with stories of her classmates’ Hearth Warming celebrations.

There was a lot she never got to do.

“Okay,” Colgate said.

Gold Watch hugged his daughter. “Thank you.”


As natives, Gold Watch and Colgate knew that Canterlot always goes all out when decorating for Hearth’s Warming. This year was no exception. Every shop had evergreen boughs over the door or glowing candles in the windows. Each lamp post was decorated with red and green ribbon. A light dusting of snow decorated the rooftops, while being carefully removed from the cobblestone streets.

Gold Watch idly wondered how the city dressed itself up. He thought back to his volunteering to decorate Ponyville in advance of Princess Celestia’s visit. He couldn’t imagine Canterlot unicorns dirtying their hooves like that.

“Let’s check into the inn first,” Gold Watch suggested.

The Cozy Hearth was aptly named. A roaring fire in the hearth made the small lobby rather toasty, and Colgate took off her scarf.

“Reservation for Gold Watch,” the stallion told the innkeeper.

The innkeeper levitated a key to him. “Welcome to the Cozy Hearth. You’re in room 21, at the end of the hall on the second floor.”

As they walked up the stairs, Colgate thought about how long it had been since she shared a hotel room with her father. It must have been some family trip, over the summer when she was out of school. Her mother was still alive. She must have been around ten. Three ponies, in one room with two beds.

Colgate was relieved when she saw the room her father had reserved, a suite with two bedrooms. “You must have reserved this room a while ago,” she commented.

“I did.”

“What would you have done if I didn’t agree to come with you?”

“I guess I would have had too much space.”

“What do you have planned?” Colgate asked.

“Tomorrow evening, at 6:30 PM, I have tickets to the Hearth’s Warming pageant at the Royal Theater. The next day, we’re visiting my friend and fellow officer Dawn Runner at noon. We’ll share Hearth’s Warming Eve dinner with him and his family. Then we’ll take the 8:25 AM train home on Hearth’s Warming. That will give us time to exchange gifts in Ponyville.”

“So, nothing on today’s schedule?”

“No,” Gold Watch replied.

“Then grab your jacket and scarf. We’re going shopping.”


After five stores, Gold Watch was getting tired of doing nothing. “Just what are you looking for?” he asked Colgate.

“I won’t know until I see it,” Colgate replied.

“Do you need me to, you know, stay outside one of these shops for a while?”

Colgate laughed. “No, Dad, I have your gift. Just like I know you have mine. Don’t worry; I’m not going to peek at it.”

“Hiding your Hearth’s Warming gift before the day was one of the most fun parts of the holidays,” Gold Watch reminisced. “It was your mother who knew the best hiding places.”

“Of course. She was the one who took care of the house.”

The two unicorns stopped by a jewelry kiosk, selling mostly inexpensive charms. “So who are you shopping for?” Gold Watch asked.

“A few of the ponies I know well. I already have something simple for everypony, a hoofmade toothbrush holder. But if I see something small that just screams a pony’s name, then I’ll pick it up.” She lifted one charm off a shelf with her magic. “Like this!”

Gold Watch looked at the item, ornamental gemstones in the shape of a carrot. “For Golden Harvest?”

“Yes. Every Friday night, she has a ‘date night’ with her husband. And she always wears jewelry.”

“Really?” Gold Watch tried to remember the farmer wearing anything that wasn’t practical.

“Yes. But you’ve probably never seen her outside the marketplace. Have you picked up anything for Green Tea?”

“I never really thought about buying anything for her. I mean, I just buy coffee from her.”

“From the way you talk about her, it sounds like she helped you feel welcome in this town. She didn’t just sell you coffee; she gave you a piece of home. I’d say that’s worth something.” Colgate passed the carrot charm to the pony at the kiosk, along with the bits to pay for it. “When’s the last time you bought a gift for someone outside the family?”

“Every year, for the police station,” Gold Watch replied.

“Is that the gift swap you told me about? The one where somepony opens a gift, then everypony after him either opens a new gift or takes one of the opened gifts?”

“Yeah.”

“Then, when’s the last time you bought a gift where you had to find something the recipient would like?”

Gold Watch thought, but finally had to shake his head. “I don’t remember.”

“Then you need this shopping trip, too. You’re a detective. You should be able to detect a gift she’d like.”

As Gold Watch followed his daughter past shops and kiosks, he pictured Green Tea’s shop in his mind. The section with the coffee was clear, but the rest was fuzzy. He paid attention to the layout of the shops he visited, looking for similarities. The position of the cash register. The way goods were arranged. Colors and shapes.

Finally, when he was browsing a stationery store where everything was arranged in plain and boring boxes, he recalled something. Green Tea stored her goods in an eclectic assortment of wooden boxes. They weren’t originally used to house tea. Rather, she repurposed old boxes, from shipping crates to jewelry boxes. Now that he thought about it, it gave her shop a charm of its own.

And now, he knew what to look for.

At a secondhoof furniture store, Gold Watch noticed a small chest. A foal might use it to hold toys. But he thought Green Tea could make good use of it.

All in a day’s work.


Colgate and Gold Watch stood outside the Royal Theater. Around them, ponies, mostly families, climbed the steps to the theater’s grand lobby. The foals were universally excited. Their parents smiled, but a few of those smiles looked forced.

“Well, this ought to be fun,” Colgate commented.

“There were several years you asked to see the Hearth’s Warming pageant. I was either working or... well, maybe there were some years I didn’t want to go. I figure I owe you at least one more show.”

“It will be interesting seeing this show as an adult,” Colgate said.

“Or anypony older than ten,” Gold Watch added. “It’s not like the story’s new.”

“That won’t stop the actors from adding their own embellishments,” Colgate said. “So who’s doing the show this year?”

“Let’s go in and find out.”

The annual Hearth’s Warming pageant is an unusual performance. Each year, a cast of amateur actors from one of Equestria’s towns puts on the pageant. The basic story is so well known, from school history lessons, the poem The Dawn of Harmony, and frequent performances of the play, that one doesn’t need actors to keep the viewers engrossed in the story. It was said that Princess Celestia loved each of the performances by her little ponies.

“Looks like the performers are from Fillydelphia,” Colgate said as she reviewed the marquee. “Wait, all the actors are stallions this year?”

“Why not? It’s pretty common to see mares play Commander Hurricane and Smart Cookie. Even a few have tackled the role of Chancellor Puddinghead.”

“Yes, but it’s Princess Platinum,” Colgate said. “Emphasis on the Princess.”

“Now I’m interested to see how he handles the role.”

The two unicorns walked into the theater, taking seats near the back. The theater was about two-thirds full, with the show due to start in ten minutes.

Gold Watch looked around the theater. “I see they haven’t remodeled it yet.”

“They were going to remodel?”

“No, look. There are still two royal boxes.”

“I doubt they need three. I don’t think Princess Cadance ever watches the pageant. In fact, I’m pretty sure she was foalsitting for me during one of those performances.

“There are other plays,” Gold Watch noted.

“Let’s watch to see who shows up.”

Two guardponies walked into Celestia’s royal box one minute before the start of the show. Without fanfare, Princess Celestia followed them in and took a seat. She was smiling. The other box remained empty.

A colt of about twelve stepped onto stage, taking the role of narrator. The familiar tale played out, introducing the three factions of ponies. The stallion playing Princess Platinum had a soft, rounded muzzle that gave him a feminine look, but it was his attitude and overdramatic acting that sold him playing the character.

At intermission, Gold Watch and Colgate headed out to get drinks. “So what do you think?” Gold Watch asked his daughter. “Is it everything you wanted as a filly?”

“I actually am enjoying it more as a mare. There’s a lot of symbolism that I don’t think I would have noticed when I was younger.”

“Like what?”

“Like the headgear the three leaders wear,” Colgate said. “The bulky helmet of Commander Hurricane would interfere with his ability to fight and fly. Chancellor Puddinghead’s tall hat would never survive any physical labor. And Princess Platinum is wearing enough metal to interfere with her spellcasting. It shows both how far they’ve deviated from their races’ natural strengths and why they weren’t the leaders their races needed at that time.”

“I just can’t get past the others’ outfits. I know it’s tradition, but Clover the Clever was a noble unicorn, and would never wear that simple outfit. Smart Cookie’s outfit is from a few centuries after unification, and not even a private would wear such ineffective armor at that time.”

“It’s just more symbolism,” Colgate noted. “It makes them more alike, and shows why they were the ones to discover the magic of friendship.”

“Ready to see the last second defeat of the windigoes?” Gold Watch asked.

“Of course.”


Gold Watch and Colgate walked along the snow-dusted sidewalks of one of Canterlot’s old residential neighborhoods. There were houses here, rather than the more common apartments, but even then they were designed to maximize the use of space. Three story, narrow houses stood in rows, with only small yards separating them from the street. With so much of the city claimed by the old noble families, any remaining space had to be used wisely.

“Which pony is Dawn Runner?” Colgate asked.

“He’s the one who replaced me as detective,” Gold Watch replied. “Earth pony, about ten years older than you, married, two foals.”

“But why did you want to visit him?”

“Because with anypony else, I’d probably be thrown out of the house before the appetizers were set out,” Gold Watch replied with a laugh. “But seriously, we were close. I’ve mentored a lot of ponies on the force, but he was most recent. It was like having a son who followed me into police work.”

Colgate nodded. She was again glad she chose to be a dentist.

They turned onto a side street, and Gold Watch referred to a folded piece of paper he was carrying. He nodded and motioned to the first of the row houses on the left side of the street.

Gold Watch rapped on the door with his hoof. A pale orange stallion answered the door. He and Gold Watch shook hooves. “Good to see you again, old man,” he said.

“Thank you for having us,” Gold Watch replied.

“Come in. And you must be Min....”

“This is my daughter, Colgate,” Gold Watch interrupted.

“Nice to meet you. Come on in, and let’s introduce you to everypony.”

They headed to the small living room, where an earth pony mare was setting out trays of food with a filly and colt underhoof. The foals saw the new arrivals and ran up to meet them. The mare followed them, too slow to stop the foals.

The foals focused on Colgate, greeting her with a barrage of questions and statements. “Hi! What’s your name? Where are you from? I really like your mane!”

Colgate just wanted to sit down. Fortunately, she knew a good way to deal with the foals. She leaned down, so she could look them in the eye. She grinned, revealing her perfect teeth. “Hello, you two! I’m Colgate. I’m a dentist.”

The two foals backed away, hiding behind their mother’s legs.

Dawn Runner rubbed his son’s head and spoke. “Gold Watch, this is my wife, Warm Heart, my daughter, Ruby, and my son, Chaser. This is Gold Watch, my mentor and recently retired from the force, and his daughter Colgate.” He looked to his foals. “I’m sure she didn’t bring her tools.”

“Nice to meet you all,” Colgate said.

“It’s nice to see you all again,” Gold Watch said. “You’re getting so big!” he told the foals.

“You two run off and play,” Warm Hearth told the foals. “I have to get back to the kitchen. There are appetizers set out.”

“Do you want anything to drink?” Dawn Runner asked.

“Beer,” Gold Watch replied.

“Do you have any red wine?” Colgate asked.

“We have a bottle of Cabernet. It’s nothing special, I’m sure.”

“It’ll be fine.”

Drinks in hoof, the ponies sat around the living room, conversing while snacking on cheese and crackers, nuts, and poinsettias. The conversation was rather banal, the kind casual acquaintances would make. Colgate was reminded of her youth, the way her father and the other police ponies avoided talking about their work. But then again, seeing the two foals in the room, she wasn’t eager to bring up the subject.

The conversation finally turned to a topic that interested Colgate. “Well, I did run in a local race,” her father said. “We both did.”

“Please don’t remind me,” Colgate complained.

“You, old man? That couldn’t have gone well,” Dawn Runner said.

“We didn’t finish last, and that’s all I’m going to say on that subject,” Gold Watch replied. “But there was something I was thinking. What if the town ran the race like one of your races? Do you think ponies would travel to Ponyville?”

“Tell me more about the race,” Dawn Runner said.

“It’s called the Running of the Leaves. It’s a run to and through the Whitetail Woods, with the main goal of knocking the leaves off the trees.”

“How long?” Dawn Runner asked.

“About six miles,” Gold Watch said.

“That’s close to one of the standard race lengths. I’d strongly recommend setting it to that length if Ponyville wants to run a competitive race. Races over natural terrain aren’t favored by a lot of runners, since they’re typically slower. But because of that, natural terrain races are underrepresented on the competitive running circuit. I think you could get a lot of runners to visit Ponyville, but you need to get the word out right away. Typically, these events are promoted more than a year ahead of time.”

“Then I’ll tell the mayor that.”

“You’re close to the mayor?” Dawn Runner said.

“It’s a small town,” Gold Watch noted. “And she keeps asking me if I want to be the first police chief.”

“Ponyville doesn’t have a police force,” Colgate added.

“What did you tell her?” Dawn Runner asked.

“I told her I’m retired.”

“Did you mention you never wanted to be chief in Canterlot?”

“It didn’t come up,” Gold Watch stated flatly.

Warm Heart came in from the kitchen, carrying the Hearth’s Warming meal’s centerpiece stew, served in the traditional baked pumpkin. “Dinner’s almost ready,” she announced. “Ruby, Chaser, go wash up.”

The two foals scurried away, letting Warm Heart and Dawn Runner finish setting the table. Plates of vegetables, baskets of bread, and various sauces were added to the spread. Soon, all six ponies were seated at the table.

Dawn Runner, as host, lifted the “lid” of the pumpkin “pot” and ladled out the stew. Gold Watch looked to see what was in the stew. Each family made it differently, to their own tastes, with only vegetable broth and pumpkin as constant ingredients. Dawn Runner and his family chose turnips, carrots, and raisins, a sweet approach to the dish. He tried the stew, tasting a delicious blend of spices. It sure beat his own attempts to cook this dish.

Following dinner, Gold Watch exchanged gifts with Dawn Runner and his family. He had a bottle of carrot vodka for Dawn Runner, a teapot for his wife, and a pair of small cakes for the foals.

“Ruby, since you were so well-behaved, I’ll let you pick the bigger one,” he said.

Ruby grinned at her brother, and the two went off to inspect their treats.

“That should keep them busy,” Gold Watch said. “I asked Pinkie Pie at Sugarcube Corner to give me two cakes of the exact same size. And as far as I can tell, they’re identical.”

“Good idea,” Dawn Runner said. “Wait. Did you say Pinkie Pie?”

“Yes, the Element of Laughter. That Pinkie Pie. She works in the local bakery and also plans parties. The one thing she won’t do is make doughnuts.”

“Then I think you’ll appreciate my gift,” Dawn Runner said. With a smile, he grabbed a large wrapped box and passed it to Gold Watch. The unicorn picked it up with his magic, feeling something smaller shift inside the box. He quickly unwrapped and opened the large box, and lifted out a box with a very familiar shape.

A box perfectly sized to carry a dozen doughnuts.

“I thought Pony Joe’s was closed this week,” Gold Watch said.

“He is. But when I mentioned you were coming into town, he made you a dozen of your favorites, and placed a freshness spell on them.”

“Chocolate frosted with sprinkles?”

“But of course.”

Gold Watch grinned. Colgate rolled her eyes, but then smiled. It was the holidays.

“And for the dentist, something a bit healthier,” Warm Heart said. She gave Colgate a loaf, wrapped in cheesecloth. “Zucchini bread, sugar free. My own recipe.”

“Thank you, Warm Heart,” she replied.

“Now that we’ve exchanged gifts, I say we retire to the living room, and have some coffee,” Dawn Runner said.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Gold Watch said.

“I know it won’t be the same without your mug, Gold Watch,” Dawn Runner noted.

“I think I’ll manage.”

The foals were soon put to bed, and the two families enjoyed polite conversation. After a while, Colgate again noticed that familiar pattern her father had when talking with his police colleagues. Finally, she decided to break the ice. “Dad, aren’t you going to ask about how things are going at the police station?”

Gold Watch and Dawn Runner looked to Warm Heart. “I don’t mind, dear,” she told her husband.

“Mostly, it’s the same bunch of troublemakers,” Dawn Runner said. “The only unusual thing came right after Nightmare Moon and the return of Princess Luna. Some ponies claimed to be committing their crimes in the name of the Cult of the Nightmare.”

“Never heard of it,” Gold Watch said. “What kind of crimes?”

“Robberies. Mostly of magical goods, but that doesn’t mean anything.” Various restricted magical crystals and reagents were worth large sums of bits to the right buyer, and so could be stolen for resale as well as for personal use.

“Do you think there’s any cult?” Gold Watch asked. “Or is it one crazy pony and a bunch of copycats?”

“It’s difficult to tell. Normally, you can get a clue if there’s some consistency to the crime, a commonality that somepony on the street wouldn’t know. But in this case, the newsponies did their job too well.”

“Makes me think it’s a copycat,” Gold Watch noted.

“What if there is a cult, but it’s not perfect?” Warm Heart asked.

“What do you mean?” Gold Watch asked.

“I’ve never heard of this cult. Of course, I hadn’t heard of Nightmare Moon either,” she continued.

Gold Watch and Dawn Runner nodded. As police officers, they had learned about a number of great threats from Equestria’s past, those threats that most of Equestria chose to let slip into history.

“So, do you think that a group of ponies could keep a cult secret for one thousand years, which pretty much means not writing anything down, and not lose something in the translation?” Warm Heart concluded.

“Only in stories,” Colgate said.

Warm Heart nodded towards a bookshelf. “I’ve read a few of those stories.”

“You have a point, Warm Heart. It’s probably just crazies,” Gold Watch said. “Keep watching. You can write me anytime you like,” Gold Watch told Dawn Runner. “Can’t promise I’d be much help, though.” He took a sip of coffee before continuing. “Any word on... unsolved cases?”

Dawn Runner shook his head. “Nothing new.”

The room was quiet. The clinking of cups on saucers suddenly seemed as loud as cannon fire.

“So how is everypony at the station?” Warm Heart finally said.

“Good, good,” Dawn Runner responded. “Hey, Gold Watch, I’ve got another classic ‘Chief’ story for you.”

“This I’ve got to hear,” Gold Watch said.

Colgate smiled as the mood in the room got lighter. She was glad her father was talking about ponies, those ponies who were in many ways his family.


The next morning, Gold Watch and Colgate shared a light Hearth’s Warming breakfast in their inn’s dining room.

“I always feel guilty that we’re keeping the workers from sharing this day with their families,” Colgate observed.

“It’s nothing I haven’t done. Comes with the territory,” Gold Watch noted.

“I’m happy to share this morning with you,” Colgate said. She levitated a small box onto the table. “Happy Hearth’s Warming, Dad.”

It was a simple wrapped box, but Gold Watch’s nose told him what was inside. He opened the box, seeing three bags of coffee.

“I asked Green Tea for advice, and she said that after your first visit, you’ve been buying the same coffee each time. So I thought I’d give you some variety,” Colgate explained.

“Thanks. I’ll be sure to give it a try.” Gold Watch inhaled the aroma of the coffee beans. He had found a roast he liked, but was certainly willing to try these new beans. After all, even bad coffee was coffee. He then passed Colgate a small package wrapped in brown paper, about the size of a book. “Happy Hearth’s Warming, my dear daughter.”

Colgate’s gift turned out to be a book. She read the title. “I had no idea something like this existed.”

“Neither did I, but when I went to the library, Twilight Sparkle mentioned that she once read a biography of the dentist Colgate. She was able to track down a copy. Since this mare was important enough for you to take her name, I thought you might like to read more about her.”

“Wow. This is... wow,” Colgate uttered.

“And if you don’t mind, I’d like to read it one day, too.”

“Of course, Dad.”

Gold Watch finished his muffin. “Let’s get checked out and head to the station,” he said.


Once back in Ponyville, Gold Watch headed home. He stowed his trunk after retrieving his gift for Green Tea. Seeing the chest sitting on his bed, he realized that he didn’t buy anything with which to wrap it. He shrugged and wrapped it in a colorful blanket.

He donned his jacket and headed out into the chilly winter day. The heavy blanket of snow over Ponyville was mostly undisturbed. Many ponies were out of town; smoke drifted from only half the chimneys.

One home that was occupied was Green Tea’s. He passed the door to the shop and headed to the back, where the door to her residence was located. He knocked.

Green Tea opened the door, her curious expression giving way to a smile. “Oh, hello, Gold Watch!”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, Green Tea.”

“Happy Hearth’s Warming to you! Please, come in.”

Green Tea’s residence was cozy, an adjective Gold Watch figured would never apply to his own cottage. Seeing all her pictures and little decorative touches reinforced just how plain his home was. The fireplace kept the room nice and toasty, and the smell of the wood fire and (unsurprisingly) tea filled the room.

“Would you like anything to drink?” she asked. “I’m afraid the only thing I have that’s hot is Grey Cloud tea.”

Gold Watch remembered tasting that tea before. It wasn’t bad, for tea. “Because it’s Hearth’s Warming, I’ll share a cup with you,” he said. Besides, he did want something to chase away the cold.

Green Tea headed to her kitchen, returning with another cup and saucer. She poured him a cup.

“Thanks.” He lifted his gift with his magic and pulled the blanket off of it. “For you.”

“Oh, it’s adorable!” Green Tea exclaimed. She took the chest in her hooves, inspecting its details. “I think I know just what to do with this.”

Green Tea set the chest down on her coffee table. Gold Watch mused that it had probably never held coffee.

“Wait here,” Green Tea said. She headed off, deeper into her house. A moment later, she returned, carrying a small chest on her back.

“I was going to package your next coffee purchase in this chest, but I’m happy to give you your Hearth’s Warming gift on the holiday,” Green Tea said. “It has a little lock and key, so you can keep your most precious substance safe.”

Gold Watch laughed. “Knowing this town, I wouldn’t even trust the vault of the First National Bank of Canterlot to keep my coffee safe. Thanks. This will be perfect in my kitchen.”

“How was your holiday?” Green Tea asked.

“It was nice. I got to go home for the holidays.” He recounted his visit to Canterlot.

“Spending time with friends and family? That’s nice,” Green Tea said. “You have a lovely daughter, by the way.” She sipped her tea, staring out the window wistfully.

“Thanks. How about you? Any family?” Gold Watch asked.

“It’s just me here, ever since my husband passed away. I don’t have much family left, just an aunt and three cousins. But they’re on the other side of the continent, and so I rarely get a chance to see them. I’m content to help all my friends in town, by being there to sell them the tea and coffee they’re drinking right now.”

“Still, it’s nice to visit somepony today,” Gold Watch said.

“Gold Watch, I open my shop six days a week. On my day off, I’m often talking with my suppliers. To have a day just to myself is a treat.” She looked at her stallion friend. “But you’re right. It’s nice to visit with somepony on Hearth’s Warming. Would you like another cup?”

“I’ll have another.”

Hot tea, a warm fire, and friendly conversation. Enjoying Hearth’s Warming without the specter of Equestria’s worst elements was a marked change for Gold Watch. Looking out the window at the sometimes sleepy town of Ponyville, he realized he was truly blessed to be home for the holidays.

Author's Note:

I came up with a background that explains just why the Mane Six were putting on the Hearth's Warming play in Season 2.

Some of the Hearth's Warming traditions I put in here were first described in Clean Slate.