• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 2,325 Views, 130 Comments

Retirement Blues - Alaborn



A Canterlot police detective wants to enjoy a quiet retirement and develop a stronger relationship with his daughter. So he decides to move to Ponyville. He moves in three days after another pony: Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
10
 130
 2,325

Chapter 9: First Day, First Crime

Retirement Blues

By Alaborn

Standard disclaimer: This is a not for profit fan work. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyright Hasbro, Inc. I make no claim to any copyrighted material mentioned herein.

Chapter 9: First Day, First Crime


The mood in Ponyville was festive. Ponies laughed and talked with friends and neighbors, all happy that Ponyville was right again. It seemed like impromptu parties were breaking out in every neighborhood. And somehow, Pinkie Pie had delivered invitations to thirteen of them to Gold Watch’s mailbox.

The elderly stallion stacked the invitations on his counter. He sadly didn’t have time for any festivities. Tomorrow he would no longer be retired, even if Ponyville police chief would likely be a part-time endeavor, and so he spent the day checking on his house.

After a day’s labor, Gold Watch determined his house was fine. It was firmly attached to its foundation. The plumbing was all in working order. There were no cracks on the walls, no missing shingles. Pretty good, for a house that had previously been detached from the ground and suspended in Discord’s magic. Those Elements of Harmony certainly did their job.

Too bad they didn’t roast coffee.

By keeping himself busy, Gold Watch was almost able to forget that he hadn’t had any coffee that day.

He heard somepony knock. He opened the door and smiled. “Green Tea!”

“Good evening, Gold Watch. Or should I say Captain Gold Watch?”

“Not yet. I’m officially retired for the next thirteen hours and forty-seven minutes. Would you like to come in? I’d offer you some coffee, but Discord unroasted all my coffee beans.”

Green Tea laughed. “Then it’s a good thing I come bearing gifts.” She entered, carrying a small wooden crate on her back. “I remembered what you said about the most important tool for a police officer, so I brought you some coffee to stock the police station. But please keep one bag for yourself. And yes, I would love a cup of coffee.”

“Really? You want coffee?” Gold Watch asked.

“I’d ask for tea, but I’m pretty sure you don’t have any,” she replied. “I do enjoy coffee, Gold Watch. I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t. It’s just that tea is my preference. It is my special talent, after all.”

Gold Watch opened the crate and took one of the bags of coffee beans. After grinding them, he set his coffeemaker to work.

He returned to the living room with two mugs. “Sugar? I’m afraid I’m out of milk. Don’t normally take it in my coffee.”

“Yes, please.”

The coffeemaker chimed, and Gold Watch retrieved the coffeepot and sugar. He poured a mug for Green Tea, and then one for himself.

“Those magic-powered coffeemakers are wonderful,” Green Tea commented.

“Coffee tastes just as good. That’s what matters,” Gold Watch said.

Green Tea sipped from her mug. “Actually, I’ve found that what’s more important than the drink is who you share it with.


Gold Watch rose with the dawn’s first light. He smiled, enjoying his toasty warm bed and the embrace of the mare who was the reason for that warmth. For six years and eleven days, he had gone to bed alone. But the previous night, he and Green Tea had talked and talked. One cup of coffee became two, then three, and finally they had come to the mutual conclusion that they didn’t want to part that night.

Next came slipping out of bed without waking his companion. It was a skill he had developed while married. Whether it was the night shift as a patrol officer or the stakeout at odd hours as a detective, he often had to leave his home without waking his wife and daughter. His skills hadn’t deteriorated, and he left Green Tea asleep under the blankets.

Sweet Celestia, did she look cute when she slept.

Gold Watch stepped into the bathroom, and showered and combed his mane. After, he went to his closet and pulled out his old uniform. He frowned when he spotted the patch on one sleeve, with the Canterlot flag still on it. He’d need to replace it with the Ponyville flag. The Canterlot flag resembled the city: regal, powerful, formal. And in the same way, Ponyville’s flag was warm and welcoming, just like the town. And the ponies in it.

He turned and found that Green Tea was awake. “I love a stallion in uniform,” she said with a smile.

Gold Watch walked back to the bed and gave her a kiss. “Just doing my duty. Are you heading back to your shop?”

“Yes. Sorry I can’t see you sworn in today.”

“It’s really just a meeting with the mayor. If more ponies were there, I might have to give a speech.” Gold Watch chuckled. “And trust me; you don’t want to see me try to give a speech.”

Green Tea got out of bed. “Do you have time for breakfast?” she asked.

“Sorry. I’m going to pick up something from Sugarcube Corner today. It’s probably for the best, given what’s left in my pantry.”

“I’ve always preferred a breakfast of toast and tea. It’s light and easy to make.”

Gold Watch smiled. “Next time.” He picked up his badge, the one his old chief had given him, and affixed it to his uniform.

“Do you have everything you need for today?” Green Tea asked.

“Let’s see. Uniform, badge, coffee... wait, where is it?” Gold Watch dashed out of the bedroom. He went to the hall closet, and started searching through crates.

Green Tea followed him. “What are you looking for?” she asked.

“My coffee mug.” Another crate was opened, and its contents were lifted in Gold Watch’s magic.

Green Tea went to the kitchen and opened a cupboard. “I see a number of mugs in here.”

“No, not a mug. My mug.” He lifted the lid off another crate. “Here it is!”

Green Tea looked at the old, chipped coffee mug curiously. “Are you sure you don’t want one from the cupboard?”

“This has been my mug since I first joined the police force. I just wouldn’t feel right working without it.”

“I have an old tea set like that,” Green Tea said. “It isn’t the best quality, but I got it from my grandmother, so it’s special to me.”

“That’s everything I need for today.” He came over and kissed Green Tea. “Would you like a police escort home?”

Green Tea laughed. “I’d love nothing more.”


Gold Watch carried coffee, his mug, and a muffin from Sugarcube Corner in his magical aura as he trotted to the building shared by Ponyville’s police station and the local guard post. A Royal Guardspony stood outside the door, wearing the golden armor and illusory white coat of all pegasus guards. “Gold Watch?” he called.

“Yes, that’s me,” he replied.

“Lieutenant Red Sky. I’m in charge of the auxiliary guard post. The mayor mentioned you’d be starting today.”

Gold Watch looked around. “Is the mayor here yet?”

“I wouldn’t expect to see the mayor until after 9:00,” Red Sky replied. “Come on in. I have keys for the building and the cells for you.”

Gold Watch entered and checked out the new police department. The building had an open plan, with two cells between the guard post and the police station. Both sides had a counter with a sink, and a door that led to a bathroom. His side of the building was furnished with three desks, a file cabinet, and, most importantly, a coffeemaker. A large bulletin board stretched across one wall, a blank expanse of cork in a wooden frame.

An empty bulletin board. He had never seen the one in the Canterlot police station empty.

Gold Watch set his coffee, mug, and muffin on the counter by the coffeemaker. He had at least an hour to wait for the mayor. “Hey, Red Sky, would you like some coffee?”

“Sure.”

While waiting for the coffee to brew, Gold Watch decided to learn more about his companion. “What’s it like being a guard here?”

“Many uneventful days with the occasional moment of sheer terror,” Red Sky replied. “Ponyville still has a reputation as a soft posting. Captain Shining Armor has whoever’s posted here spend three days a week in Canterlot. So you’ll be seeing a lot of different faces. It’s good, because most of these guardsponies’ families live here.”

“Different faces? How will I know the difference?” Gold Watch asked with a smile.

Red Sky took off his helmet. The illusion faded, restoring his red coat and indigo mane. “I typically wear the helmet only while on patrol. I normally patrol the edge of the Everfree Forest twice daily, meet with the mayor weekly, and beyond that, just walk around town.”

“Not that much different from a patrol officer,” Gold Watch commented. “Which I guess I am. Patrol officer, detective, and chief, all at the same time. And it’s still a part time job.” The coffeemaker chimed. “Coffee’s ready.”

Gold Watch poured Red Sky a mug of coffee, and then filled his own mug. He finally got around to eating breakfast. It was halfway to a proper breakfast. Sadly, there was still no place to get doughnuts in Ponyville.

“Somepony’s coming,” Red Sky announced.

“The mayor?”

“No. But I think it’s for you.”

Since it was just about 9:00, Gold Watch had a reasonable idea about who was coming. He got up and went to the door. Sure enough, it was Colgate.

“Hi, Dad,” she said.

“Good morning, Colgate. No early appointments today?”

“All my patients today canceled. It seems like nopony is in the mood to get their teeth cleaned. So I thought I’d see you get sworn in.”

“If the mayor ever shows up.”

“Oh, the mayor will be here. But first, she’ll go to Town Hall at 9:00 AM to open her office. If you’re her first stop today, she’ll be here in about fifteen minutes.”

Seventeen minutes and twenty seconds later, Gold Watch spotted Mayor Mare and Red Tape approaching. The stallion balanced a crate on his back.

Red Sky put on his helmet. “Time to greet the mayor.” He stood at attention outside the guard post.

Gold Watch joined him. He stepped forward and shook hooves with the mayor.

“Ready?” Mayor Mare asked.

Gold Watch nodded.

“Do you, Gold Watch, swear to serve and protect the ponies of Ponyville?”

“I do.”

“Then by the power vested in me as mayor of Ponyville, I welcome you, Gold Watch, as police chief of Ponyville.”

Gold Watch looked at the gathered crowd, focusing on his daughter. “I didn’t prepare a speech today. Mayor, as you’ve seen, it doesn’t matter whether or not I’m police chief. I’ll protect innocent ponies until the day I die. But I’m going to be honest with myself. Someday, I’ll be too run down to do a good job of it. My primary job today is to get this police department running, and finding somepony younger to take it over.”

“I think that’s an admirable goal,” Red Tape said. “And I’m here to help.”

“Paperwork?” Gold Watch said.

Red Tape smiled. “Of course.”

“Looks like you have a year’s worth of files in there.”

“Eighteen months,” Red Tape corrected him.

Gold Watch sighed. “Okay. Bring it in and put it on the first desk.”

“And I have something you might actually want to see,” Mayor Mare said. She passed Gold Watch a scroll. He unrolled it, revealing a poster.

“The Whitetail Wood 10K at Ponyville’s Running of the Leaves,” Gold Watch read. The poster listed the date, time and prizes. It looked a lot like the posters Dawn Runner would always tack to the bulletin board in the Canterlot police station.

“We set up the race according to the standards and notified the running organizations. We’ll put up the posters around town closer to the date, but I thought you might like to have the first. And though the race is still months away, it’s not too soon to think about volunteering.”

“Remind me later, but I’m sure I can help,” Gold Watch said. “Celestia knows I’m not going to run again.”

Mayor Mare smiled. “Glad to hear that.”

“How is the town recovering from Discord’s magic?” Gold Watch asked.

“Fairly well. We still have a few townsfolk missing, mostly pegasi.”

“Missing ponies?” Gold Watch leaned forward.

“Sorry, I forget you haven’t been in town long. Nothing bad happened. It’s just that, when strange things happen, a few of the town’s residents decide that it’s a good time to visit somepony, anypony who lives outside of town. We’ve sent word to Cloudsdale that everything’s back to normal.”

“Really. I hadn’t noticed that.”

“It’s one of those quirks about Ponyville that you’ll eventually pick up. Let’s talk later about setting up a weekly meeting.”

“Will do.”

Gold Watch headed back inside, ready to tackle the gift left by Red Tape. The paperwork was all too familiar. Some of it he hadn’t personally handled since he was a rookie. But it all needed to be handled if his police department wanted to be ready for any crisis.

His police department. This was all real.

He had only finished with the first of many folders when a guest arrived. It was a lime green unicorn stallion with a yellow mane, wearing the uniform of a Canterlot police officer. He, too, carried a crate. The unicorn looked familiar at first glance, and Gold Watch remembered his name once he looked at his cutie mark. “Limelight?”

“Good to see you again, Sergeant, er, I mean Chief. Chief sent me from Canterlot with some supplies for you.”

“Good.” Gold Watch was glad that Mayor Mare was on the ball. “Let’s see what you have.”

Limelight opened the crate. Out came hoofcuffs, horn rings, wing binders, flashlights, truncheons, and all the sundry tools used by a police officer. There was also a large bowl-shaped object. “Can you activate the dragonfire font?” Gold Watch asked.

“Yes,” he replied. “Probably the reason why Chief sent me.”

Gold Watch nodded. Limelight’s special talent was from the theater, specifically the behind the scenes technical work, and when he chose to become a cop, he was very helpful at keeping the variety of magical devices employed in the typical police station up and running.

“I’ll link this font to the police stations in Canterlot and Cloudsdale,” Limelight said. “I’ll also include the link to Canterlot Castle, though you probably won’t need it.”

“Why’s that?” Gold Watch asked.

“You have a direct line from Canterlot to the Princess’s personal student. And I hear she has an actual dragon. So I figure she’ll be the one contacting Canterlot in an emergency.”

“But what if she’s the reason for the emergency?” Gold Watch asked.

“From what I’ve heard of her power, I hope for your sake that that’s never the case.”


Gold Watch worked through the day. He organized the mess of papers, and posted a few official notices to his bulletin board. The only strange thing in the file was an invitation to a party for the Cakes. It had his name, today’s date, and the familiar three balloon stamp of every party invitation in Ponyville. The one thing he didn’t see was any sign of Pinkie Pie.

Gold Watch shrugged and went about closing the station. He locked his files and cleaned the coffeemaker. The last task, before locking up, was to wash and dry his coffee mug.

Just like old times.

The party was already in full swing by the time Gold Watch got to Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie Pie was right at the door to greet him with a cup of punch. “Hey there, Mister Police Chief! Thanks for coming and celebrating the Cakes’ new addition!” The exuberant mare inhaled sharply. “Oh no! I need to plan your ‘Congratulations on becoming Ponyville’s police chief’ party!”

Gold Watch placed a hoof on Pinkie Pie’s withers. “I appreciate the sentiment. Really, I do. But I just got honored by Princess Celestia for helping Ponyville while Discord was here. And that’s enough of a celebration for this old stallion.” He smiled warmly.

Pinkie Pie’s lip quivered for a moment, before she returned a smile. “Okie dokie lokie! Now come on! There’s a party going on!”

Sugarcube Corner was busy, but not quite as packed as the normal Pinkie Pie party. Gold Watch recognized many of the attendees as customers from the breakfast rush. Others he recalled from the marketplace, including several of the ponies who sold fruit. Pinkie Pie must have invited the bakery’s suppliers and best customers.

He wandered the crowd. Carrot Cake was actively greeting ponies, while making sure the treats remained stocked. Cup Cake sat at a table, resting her pregnant form. Gold Watch joined the ponies who came to greet her.

“Never thought I’d attend a baby shower,” Gold Watch commented.

Cup Cake smiled a weary smile. “I tried to explain to Pinkie Pie, but the poor dear couldn’t grasp the concept of a baby shower. I think it’s because it calls for a small party. Bon Bon is organizing the real shower. Pinkie’s invited. I hope she’ll appreciate when the situation calls for a small gathering.”

“Bon Bon?” Gold Watch wasn’t that familiar with the town’s confectioner. “I would have guessed Golden Harvest to organize your shower.”

“She wasn’t available. Poor dear.”

Gold Watch nodded and rejoined the crowd. Many ponies congratulated him on his new job. “Could I ask a favor?” one mare continued.

“Sure. What is it?”

“My name is Cheerilee. I’m one of the town’s schoolteachers. I’d like you to talk to my students about what it’s like to be a police officer.”

Gold Watch froze. “Students? How old are we talking?”

“Eleven and twelve, roughly. Why?”

“There’s a lot about being a police officer that I wouldn’t want to tell to younger foals.” He paused. “Actually, I’ve never been good talking about my job.”

“Oh,” Cheerilee said. “If you don’t want to do it....”

“No, I’ll do it. I’ll just need some time. You’re talking about doing this sometime after summer, right?”

“Right.”

“Then come by the station later, and we’ll schedule a time. I probably won’t be that busy.”

She nodded. “There’s thankfully little crime in Ponyville, but a fair amount of collateral damage,” Cheerilee noted.

Gold Watch was reminded of the situation in Ponyville mere days ago. “Please, don’t remind me.”

Gold Watch returned to the snack table for another delicious cookie. While there, he bumped into a late-arriving guest.

“Good evening, Colgate,” he said.

“Hi, Dad.” In her magical aura, she carried a plate with celery sticks and cucumber slices from the forgotten corner table of healthy snacks.

“How’s work?”

“I have some patients rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon,” she replied. “I’ll be spending tomorrow morning rechecking and sterilizing my equipment.”

“How’s everypony else at your office building?”

“I’m not really sure. We were all there when Discord appeared. It wasn’t a happy time.”

Gold Watch sipped his punch and looked around the room. “Anypony else here?”

Colgate sighed. “No, I didn’t come here with anypony special.” She looked around. “Nor did you.”

“No. She’s still working.” He paused. “I asked her.”

Colgate raised an eyebrow expectantly.

“We’re special someponies,” Gold Watch continued.

Colgate embraced her father. “I’m proud of you, Dad. But best not to let Pinkie Pie know.”

A giant smile in a mess of pink filled the two ponies’ vision.

“Sorry, Pinkie Pie,” Gold Watch said. “We don’t need a party.”


Colgate trotted into her office, breakfast in tow. Snow Glimmer was behind the counter, reviewing files.

“What appointments do we have today?”

“I have Amethyst Star and Junebug with their regular appointments, Blossomforth rescheduled, and a new patient, Twinkleshine. All in the afternoon.”

“Amethyst Star and Twinkleshine? It’s like Winter Wrap-Up all over again! Anyway, it’s about time Twinkleshine came in.”

“You know her?” Snow Glimmer asked.

“A little. We attended Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns together, though she was three years behind me. We bumped into each other during Winter Wrap-Up. And I think she’s been in Ponyville for a while. More than enough time to need a cleaning.”

“I’m sure you’ll have fun catching up. Just let me remind you, Colgate, nopony can talk with a mouth full of dental tools.”

“A good dentist can figure out what her patient is saying, no matter how many tools are in her mouth,” Colgate retorted. “And speaking of tools, we need to sanitize them this morning.”

“I thought you cleaned up after everything returned to normal,” Snow Glimmer said.

“I did. But after what happened, checking things again can’t hurt.”

Colgate opened the cabinet with her tools. She first scanned them for ambient magic, but found no lingering chaos magic; only the normal low-level power of the magic crystals was present. Reassured that her tools wouldn’t attack her patients this afternoon, she placed them in the sterilizer, where hot steam would make them clean and safe.

As she finished replacing her tools, Colgate heard a knock on her door. She trotted over and opened it, revealing a familiar face. “Good morning, Sharp Eye!”

“Good morning!” The bespectacled unicorn smiled. “Are you fully recovered?”

“The office is fine. Now I just need patients,” she replied.

“Do you have a patient now?” Sharp Eye asked.

“Not now.”

“Could you help me check my equipment?”

“Sure.”

Everything looked ordinary in Sharp Eye’s office. The collection of glasses frames was back to normal. Whatever the machine was that he used to test ponies’ eyes sat waiting to be used.

“My main concern is in making sure the phoropter is working,” Sharp Eye said, motioning to the machine. “Could you have a seat?”

Colgate sat down. “Is there any magic used in that... whatever?”

“No. And there’s no lingering magic, but I still don’t trust it to be unaffected by the chaos. Your vision is good, right?”

“Yes,” Colgate replied.

“What’s the lowest line you can read on the chart?”

“D E F P O T E C,” she read.

“Good.” He swung the phoropter around. “Now rest your forehead here. Look at the bottom line. Which of these is better, one or two?”

“One.”

“Hold on a second.” Sharp Eye left and returned with a pair of glasses. “Try these on.”

“How’s that going to help?”

“Since you don’t need corrective lenses, it will simulate a vision problem, which I will test.” He flicked some lenses around. “Okay, what’s better, one or two?”

“Two.”

“Three or four?”

“Three.”

“Everything looks good,” Sharp Eye said. “Thanks, Colgate.”

“You’re welcome.” She got up and walked back to the waiting room. “So the only thing that happened here was changing these glasses?”

“Just the frames. The glasses I asked you to wear weren’t changed. And I’m really glad Discord didn’t change my own glasses. I wouldn’t have been able to see you!”

Colgate turned her head sharply. “What?”

Sharp Eye blushed. “See anything! I mean see anything!”

Colgate ground her hoof into the floor. “Well, I’ll... let you get back to work,” she said, ducking out while trying to not meet Sharp Eye’s gaze.

She paused by her office and poked her head in. “Snow Glimmer, I’m going for lunch,” she called.

Colgate wasn’t that hungry, but she did want to get outside. Her thoughts turned to the eye doctor with the goofy glasses. For all the prodding her father did, she never was sure if there could be something with him. They were friendly, but he never really indicated that he was thinking about her. Was he interested in something more? Was he not ready?

Judging by what he let slip today, the answers to both of those questions were yes, as awkward as that was.

Colgate paused and lifted her head, looking at the beautiful blue sky. A light breeze drifted by. Best to clear her mind, and just enjoy the beautiful summer day. She walked along happily.

Rather unlike the librarian trotting anxiously past her.


Gold Watch stopped by the marketplace following his morning patrol. One day of doing nothing but paperwork was enough to convince him that a twice daily patrol was a good idea. Already, he had introduced himself to dozens of ponies, and learned more about Ponyville than he had in a year as a retiree.

He didn’t need to introduce himself to the ponies working at the marketplace. Applejack, Golden Harvest, Cherry Berry, Roma, and the others were all there, with plump fruits and vegetables for sale. He trotted over to Golden Harvest’s carrot cart.

“That’s quite the promotion from retired gardener,” Golden Harvest quipped.

“Yeah, gardener. I really don’t know what I was thinking,” Gold Watch replied. “I’d like to pick up some carrots for lunch.”

“That I can do!” she said. Gold Watch picked up a bunch, and levitated over the bits to pay for them.

“I missed you at the party yesterday,” Gold Watch commented.

“Yeah,” she muttered.

“Busy?”

“I... I’m happy for them. I just wanted to spend the time with my husband.” Golden Harvest shook her head sadly.

Gold Watch quietly stepped away, leaving Golden Harvest to her thoughts. He couldn’t figure out what was bothering her. The idea of spending time with his wife had never left him feeling sad. Holding her as she slipped away was painful, but he relished each of those last moments. But in any case, if Golden Harvest wanted to talk to him about it, she would open up in her own time.


“Open wide,” Colgate told her patient.

Twinkleshine obliged, opening her mouth as far as her jaw would allow. Colgate telekinetically moved her dental mirror and pick into her mouth, and she started scraping plaque from her molars. Snow Glimmer stood by with water and suction hose.

“Have you been in Ponyville long?” Colgate asked. Snow Glimmer just rolled her eyes.

“A-u a ee-ah,” Twinkleshine uttered.

“And what brought you to Ponyville?”

“Ah jah. Ah ee-shin in-a-ah-in.”

“Well, I think you’ll do great. You were always good with the youngest students at Celestia’s school. Now spit.”

Twinkleshine leaned forward and spit. “Is everything good?” she asked.

“Your teeth are in great shape,” Colgate replied. “But I recommend you come in for a cleaning every six months, no matter how good your teeth are.”

“Okay. It just was the furthest thing from my mind, being new to town and all.”

“If you’d like, I can make an appointment for some time in winter. That way, you won’t have to worry about remembering to do it later.”

“Thanks, but I’ll stop by closer to then. I need to know my class schedule.”

“Okay, then. Have a good evening, Twinkleshine!”

“You too, Colgate!”

Once the patient departed, Snow Glimmer asked “What did she say?”

“Wasn’t it obvious? She came to Ponyville a year ago to work as the kindergarten teacher.”

“I have no idea how you understood that.”

“There’s a class at dental college,” Colgate replied with a laugh.

“Kindergarten teacher? That’s got to be nice.” Snow Glimmer said.

“I don’t know. I haven’t thought about magic kindergarten in forever.” Colgate placed her tools in the sterilizer. “Why don’t you head home, Snow Glimmer? I’ll finish up.”

“Sure thing!” she replied.

Once she closed up, Colgate headed to the end of the hallway and peeked in Sharp Eye’s door. “Busy?” she asked.

“Just catching up on paperwork,” he replied, without looking up.”

“I’m heading to the park,” Colgate said. “I feel like enjoying the rest of the day. It’s also a nice place to talk, if you’d like.”

Sharp Eye looked up. “That sounds like... yeah. I think... that sounds nice. But I really do need to finish this.”

“Okay. I hope to see you there.”

Sharp Eye nodded.


As the sun headed toward the horizon, Gold Watch walked a patrol on the west end of town. The parks and public spaces were being enjoyed by countless ponies of all ages. Perhaps he’d ask Green Tea to come here one evening. But for now, he was still on duty, even if nothing was likely to happen.

His ears perked. He noticed a sound that definitely wasn’t nothing. It was too familiar, the sound of ponies fighting. And by the sound of it, it was a large fight.

Gold Watch galloped toward the sound. Cresting a hill, he saw half a dozen ponies in a knock-down, drag-out fight, and more were being drawn in. He tried to identify why they were fighting, but was interrupted as he felt a sensation, a tingle around his horn, a tickle in his mind.

Decades of police experience kicked in, and Gold Watch wove a fast mental barrier to protect against mind-influencing magic. Once he no longer sensed the tug of the magic, he surveyed the situation. Step one, protecting himself, was complete. Step two involved shielding his fellow officers. None were present, of course. Step three, assist the guard and other officials.

He looked, and saw Mayor Mare right in the middle of the fight. Too late for that.

The power of the mind-influencing spell was incredible. The only reason it wasn’t overcoming his ward was that it wasn’t actively focused on him. That left mitigating the situation, protecting civilians, and looking for somepony strong enough to cancel the spell.

Twilight Sparkle was also in the middle of the mob.

“I picked the wrong week to start this job,” Gold Watch muttered. But still he acted, running ahead of the mob, ready to warn ponies to get out of the park.

As the sun set, a bright light filled the sky. An unmistakable voice echoed over the park. “Twilight Sparkle!”

Hovering in the air, the radiance of the sun surrounding her, Princess Celestia sent her magic into the mob, separating ponies and calming them. Equestria’s sovereign then looked at Twilight Sparkle, who was cowering on the ground. “Meet me in the library,” she ordered.

Gold Watch turned to the fighting ponies, seeing who needed help. Fortunately, everypony looked okay, with only a few scrapes and hoof marks visible. The ponies, looking confused, separated and went their own way. Two of them he knew very well.

“Colgate? Golden Harvest?”

“Huh?” Colgate said. “Dad?”

“Gold Watch?” Golden Harvest said.

Gold Watch rushed over to his daughter. He was worried, as she had apparently been fighting with a much stronger pony, but she just looked bruised and dirty. “What happened?” he asked her.

“I... I really don’t know,” she said. “There was something in there that I wanted. No, I needed it. But I have no idea why.”

“It was magic,” Gold Watch said.

“Colgate! Are you okay?” another voice called.

They looked up as Sharp Eye rushed forward. “I’ll give you two your space,” Gold Watch said with a smirk.

“Dad!” Colgate protested.

“What happened?” Sharp Eye asked.

She looked at the mayhem around her. “I don’t know.” She sighed. “I picked a lousy day to go to the park. Now I just want to get out of here. Sorry, Sharp Eye.”

“That’s okay.” Sharp Eye closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. “Colgate, when you’re feeling better, would you like to meet after work, and talk over drinks?”

“You know what? Forget later. I want a drink now. The pub down the street from our office building.” She looked at her dirty coat. “Let’s meet in an hour.”

Off in the distance, Golden Harvest and Gold Watch smiled. “About time,” the stallion said. He turned to Golden Harvest. “I’ve got to get to the library. Duty calls.”


Princess Celestia strode onto the balcony of Golden Oaks Library. Twilight Sparkle rushed after her. “Princess Celestia, wait!” she called. “How did you know I was in trouble?”

“Your friend Spike made me aware that you were letting your fears get the best of you,” she replied. “I commend him for taking your feelings seriously. Now, if you will all excuse me, I must return to Canterlot. I’m expecting some mail.”

With that, Gold Watch watched Princess Celestia take off. She made eye contact with him, and then banked, coming in for a landing outside the library. Gold Watch bowed.

“Rise, Gold Watch. How goes your job as police chief?”

He rose. “I am protecting the ponies around me. All feels right. I just wish we didn’t already have a serious crime.”

Princess Celestia raised an eyebrow. “And what is that?”

“Use of mind-influencing magic,” Gold Watch replied. “Casting a spell upon somepony’s mind is a serious crime.” He paused to see how Princess Celestia would react; she remained silent. “You know I have to make an arrest, even if nopony wants to press charges,” he continued.

“To be clear, Twilight Sparkle cast her spell on her old doll, not another pony. But tell me, Gold Watch, do you believe my student wished ill upon others?”

“No.”

“And why do you say that?”

“I’ve had years of experience judging ponies’ character. I don’t see Twilight Sparkle as somepony who would harm another. But I do see a mare who can make errors in judgment, and she possesses a level of power that makes those errors more dangerous.”

“That has been true of many of my past students,” Princess Celestia responded. “First, let me settle this issue. I, Celestia, Diarch of Equestria, do hereby pardon Twilight Sparkle for her misuse of magic today.”

Gold Watch bowed. “As you wish, Princess.”

A smile crept into her solemn expression. “But I do grant you permission to lecture Twilight Sparkle on the proper use of magic,” she said.

“But what can I say? I’m not that magically inclined.”

“Gold Watch, I have mentored many students over the years. They have often been unable to relate to me as a pony. It is a failing of mine, one that manifested today in Twilight Sparkle’s unreasonable fear of failure. I told her friends to watch over her, that they should always take each others’ feelings seriously. But she also has much to learn about life. And a pony who has fought for others for decades is just the kind of pony to help her consider the proper use of magic.”

Gold Watch nodded. “You think she can be more than just the Element of Magic.”

“All ponies can become great.” Princess Celestia smiled enigmatically. “Until my next visit, my little pony. May it come under happier circumstances.”

Gold Watch nodded and bowed as Princess Celestia took to the night sky.


Gold Watch returned home, where he hung up his uniform. Over a light supper, he mentally reviewed the day. A miscast spell, a fighting mob, running around town, and an unplanned royal visit.

And it was only his second day as police chief.

He was reminded of a thought he had quite frequently in his last years in Canterlot.

“I’m getting too old for this.”

Author's Note:

Whenever I write a chapter of Retirement Blues that includes the events of an episode, I need to go back and watch the episode again, and play Spot the Colgate. Turns out she was caught up in the Want It, Need It spell!

The next chapters will cover Cider Season, Nightmare Night, and the Running of the Leaves. I've used that order for fall events before.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to decide how Gold Watch and Green Tea spent their first night together.