• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 1,034 Views, 54 Comments

Who'd Have Guessed? - DBP12012



Pinkie, on the outside, seems like an airheaded, happy-go-lucky mare. Maybe she is, but maybe.. Just maybe.. A certain colt can prove she's much more.

  • ...
2
 54
 1,034

His Journal's Life Lessons

Caramel didn't know what he'd wanted to do when he woke up. He pondered visiting Applejack, but something held him back. He wanted to check up on the princess, but Pinkie beat him to it. Thunderlane and Noteworthy had already head out, so that only left one of his roommates. Unfortunately, Dr. Whooves isn't exactly the most, well, 'free' pony. He's always off saving the world with his companion. So naturally, Caramel didn't have too much interaction with the time lord. And after that incident with Pinkie, he'd best let her cool off before he went back. Being a shy pony came with advantages and disadvantages, and right now Caramel had to deal with the disadvantages. One in particular, really: Loneliness. True, he'd avoid social interaction if he could, but everypony needs a friend now and then. So, as his last resort, he wrote in his journal.

Day 109: Happiness and Love

Imagine you're a shy stallion, madly in love with a beautiful mare. You see her, and you can tell she's upset. So now, you have a few options: cheer her up mindlessly, try and find out why she's upset, act like nothing's wrong, or walk away. Suppose you choose number two, hoping for the best. After all, she's usually happy, and you're good friends.. So she'll open up and you'll be the hero. Simple as that. Maybe she'll confess her love for you, and you get the happy ending.

Now imagine the frustration, the hurt, and the confusion when that pony dearest to you rejects you. She's all you have in the world, and all you want to do is help. All I wanted to do was help, and she didn't want that help. No happy ending for me, sadly. 'Why didn't that work? Did I make it about me again?', I ask myself time and time again, because every time something goes wrong it's usually on account of my thin judgements or self-centered nature. I'll try time and again, but my attempts never work. I'll try to be open-minded, slow to judge, and to think of others first. Emphasis on try, more emphasis on fail. I suppose if you've just started reading my journal.. Well... I suppose you should know this isn't my first. Yes, I'm okay with you reading. Otherwise, I wouldn't write it. So, let's just start out with me, since this is my journal.

Forgetful. They all say I'm forgetful. Stubborn and close-minded maybe, but not forgetful. Just because of one time during Winter Wrap Up I forgot the grass seeds! ... Okay, It happened twice, but still. It's almost like how Derpy mentioned she liked muffins. Now, people who don't know her too well assume all she's about is muffins. It's sad to me, I see her bombarded with muffins when she's upset. It never really helps, because she doesn't like muffins that much anymore. She got sick of them after the first few hundred. I admire her for her big heart though; she never refuses a single one. She's afraid of hurting somepony's feelings. So instead of eating all the muffins, she gives them to a food bank she and some of her best friends opened: Muffins for the Needy. It's a great charity, really, but it's besides the point.

I want to make ponies happy. I suppose everypony does to some extent, though. I don't know a single pony who wants to intentionally make others upset. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're wrong! What about Sombra, Discord, Chrysalis, and Nightmare Moon? Or what about Trixie and Gilda? There are some who thrive on others' despair! How could you possibly say that? Simple. Sombra was corrupted, as well as Nightmare Moon. I don't think that's what they're really like. Discord has been reformed and sees the error of his ways. Chrysalis may have hated what she had to do, but if she didn't, she and her whole species could've died. Trixie? Seriously? Show magic is her job. Also, when she challenged Twilight, she was corrupted. Gilda? Good point, I must confess. However, I think there's more than meets the eye. I don't know her very well, but I do know this: Everypony Everyone has a reason for acting up. Sure, it doesn't justify her behavior, but I don't want to write her off because she's dealing with something we don't understand.

Perhaps that's why I write this. Right now, you probably think I'm the most wonderful, most accepting colt in existence. Well, let me stop you right there. Firstly, what did you expect? This is my journal, after all. I'm the hero of my own story. If I'm writing about myself, I don't want to be constantly tearing myself down. Who does that? Secondly, don't think of me like that. I'm judgmental, shallow, shy, and stuck-up... In my opinion. As you can see, I also think very highly of myself. Re-read the first line of this paragraph again. You didn't really think that. I thought you did, see? High opinion of myself. Who would think that?

Some tearing down is in order from time to time, because my ego gets out of control. This journal helps me contain that ego so I don't act up in public. I also ask myself: why do I want this pony to be happy? Do I gain anything? If not, should that matter to me? So often I find myself forgetting that happiness gained by selfish desire has no real value. To me, that is lust. Dear reader, we get to the true meaning of my journal. I want you to learn from my mistakes, and for me to learn from my mistakes. Furthermore, I want to remember these values, lest I corrupt myself with the constant need for pleasure. For true happiness can never be achieved unless you're willing to give it up. So go, dear reader, and live with others always in mind.

And as for me and my pursuit of happiness and love, I will not give up on that mare. No matter how hard she tries, I will give her the happiness she deserves, despite how it makes me feel. And so, the hero's journey for me begins. A stallion must deny his own nature in order to free the princess of herself. I will try my hardest to show her there's more to life than what she has now.

Until my next mistake,
Caramel