• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 1,034 Views, 54 Comments

Who'd Have Guessed? - DBP12012



Pinkie, on the outside, seems like an airheaded, happy-go-lucky mare. Maybe she is, but maybe.. Just maybe.. A certain colt can prove she's much more.

  • ...
2
 54
 1,034

His Loss

Caramel sighed, leaning over a seemingly lifeless pink body. He could still hear her laugh, the cheery voice lingering in his ears. He could still see her bright smile, bouncy steps, and silly demeanor. He sniffled, for he knew it was all an illusion. The Pinkie he had known and loved left long ago, even before the fire nearly burned her alive.

I must be strong.

Darkness shrouded the room, refusing any light source whatsoever. However, even in the dark, Caramel could still see Pinkie. He could see her mane, fuller than it had been in a long time. She was finally happy again. Even so, he couldn't bring himself to smile. It left him with questions, all of them only make him want to weep.

Is she still alive, or is she happy because she's in a better place...?

Did she want to leave, and now she's finally away...?

Does she hate everypony, and is happy they're gone...?

A lightning bolt crashed nearby, shattering the silence. Caramel didn't even flinch, refusing to take his eyes off of Pinkie. The nurses and doctors had tried moving him, but they had more success getting a fish to climb a tree than getting him to budge. Another stray bolt thundered, even closer than before. Caramel sighed, closing his eyes for a moment. A loud knocking on the door forced him to open them, but it sure didn't make him move.

"Yes? The door is unlocked," Caramel said weakly, an obvious strain on his vocal cords. The door creaked open slowly, a white muzzle poking through the door.

"Sir?" A voice like honey called, "It's rather late. Don't you think you should go home?" Caramel sighed, shaking his head.

"I'd love to go home and rest, really. But I want to be here when she wakes up... I want to be the first face she sees," he replied, then walked over to the door, "Is it okay if I stay here overnight?" The door opened fully, revealing Nurse Redheart. She sighed, wondering whether it was worth fighting over.

"Sir-"

"Please..." he whispered helplessly, "You said twelve hours ago she should've woken up in three or so hours. I need to know she's not...that she's still...please, don't make me leave her..."

"But sir, your friends-" Redheart pleaded, trying her hardest not to give in. It was against hospital rules for guests to stay overnight. Only the patients and employees could stay past midnight, and everypony generally respected that rule. Sure, there were times when some ponies questioned the rule, yet none had ever won. But this stallion wouldn't give up, even if it meant his life.

"I know they all left ages ago, and I know it's past visiting hours... But please... You must understand... I love her..." he whispered, yanking his head away from Redheart's eyes. Redheart sighed, letting her mind drift into memories. She knew how he felt, how it hurt to let go of somepony you love...

"You've...convinced me," Redheart hesitated, unsure of if her decision was too biased. Nevertheless, she stuck with what she had chosen, saying, "I'll bring in a mattress from one of the rooms we aren't-"

"No, thanks..." Caramel began, shaking his head. Redheart gasped and began to stutter.

"B-but sir, you said-" she questioned, fumbling over her words. She made many hoof motions and facial expressions to try and get her point across, but Caramel only smiled.

"I won't need a mattress, but thanks for the offer. Like I said...I want to be the first face she sees when she wakes up. And that face won't be sleeping, rest assured." Caramel smiled, then took a few steps forward. His lips quivered and his eyes watered. He lifted his hooves up and wrapped them around Redheart's neck. "Thank you..." he whispered, "I am forever in your debt. Thanks for breaking the rules for me..." Redheart giggled nervously, backing up and pushing Caramel away.

"Y-yes, well, um," she stuttered, raising her head slightly and closing her eyes. "I-I, er, I couldn't separate you from your special somepony, no big deal." Redheart blushed, leaving the room quietly. "I-I'll be at the front desk, come get me if she wakes up," she called out before disappearing. Caramel groaned, shaking his head.

"You've done it again, you dope," Caramel chided himself, "why are you so- what's the word? -ah, yes, flirty. Seems you've gotten every mare you've come in contact with uncomfortable..." he sighed, listening to his voice. So many times he'd found himself talking just to hear a voice. Oh, such is the life of a introverted, lonely stallion. Caramel reached over and grabbed his journal out of his bag, keeping Pinkie in the corner of his eye.

Day 110: The Loss of a Loved One

I'm sure everyone has lost somepony

Caramel groaned, tearing the page out. He knocked over the small jar of ink beside him, spilling the permanent liquid all over the floor. He leaned over, purposefully knocking over his bag to scan the contents.

"That's the second time you've made that mistake, Caramel," he mumbled, "what if a griffon or someone read your journal? How many...creatures? No, sentient beings... Life forms? Sure, life forms. How many life forms do you want to offend? Use someone, not somepony... Now, where is my pencil? Ah!"

Day 110: The Loss of a Loved One

I'm sure everyone has lost someone close to them at some time or another. It is only common, for most beings are mortal. I, myself, have seen a few relatives pass on. I no longer have my grandparents to tell me stories anymore. But what happens when you lose someone unexpectedly? Or their death isn't from natural aging? I am faced with this problem myself, for my dear beautiful mare now lies as if dead nearly inches away from me. They claim she's still alive, simply in a coma. I've heard that some don't wake up from their comas, though. What if she's one of those? What if she never 'wakes up'? These questions haunt me, so much so I can't sleep.

This time, dear reader, I've made the biggest mistake in my life: I ignored her. That day, in the sweet shoppe, I walked away. I left her there, alone. She needed someone- no, she needed me. And I- well, I left her there. Did I go back? No. It was her best friend who discovered she nearly killed herself. Her best friend didn't know she was upset, yet I did. So why didn't I go back? Why wasn't I the one who found her- no, why wasn't I the one who stopped her? Now, she lays on a hospital bed because of me. Many of you may wonder: but Caramel, she's not dead. So why do you say you've lost her? To that I say-

She's been dead for a while. For so long, I should've seen it coming. That first day I saw her cry, that first time her mane went flat. I should've known. I should've ignored when she said everything was fine, when it obviously wasn't. She didn't party anymore, she didn't laugh anymore, she didn't smile, bounce, or even bake. What in the wide world of Equestria gave me the idea that that was 'okay'? She left me, she left us all. Now it's only worse because there's no chance of her coming back. My lesson to you, dear reader, is simply this:

I'm not about to tell you to go pry into everyone's personal life. However, if someone you love- or are very close to -suddenly changes their entire way of life, don't brush it off. Do them a favor and find out what's bothering them. I left them alone, and look where I ended up.

Until my next mistake,

Caramel