• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 1,034 Views, 54 Comments

Who'd Have Guessed? - DBP12012



Pinkie, on the outside, seems like an airheaded, happy-go-lucky mare. Maybe she is, but maybe.. Just maybe.. A certain colt can prove she's much more.

  • ...
2
 54
 1,034

Sleepless Nights and Seeing Her

Pinkie.. Pinkie.. Pinkie.. The name and conversation with the mare repeated in Caramel's head over and over again. What happened? What was different? What was missing? Was it my fault? Questions flooded his head. His orange hooves moved quickly around his bedroom. Unfortunately for him, his bedroom floors weren't soundproof. Within a matter of minutes, Thunderlane banged on Caramel's door. "Caramel!" Thunderlane yelled, "Could you keep your mindless pacing down a bit? Some of us are trying to sleep!"

"Oh, sure... Sorry." Caramel called back. He stopped trotting for a minute, only to find out how late it actually was. 11:34 P.M. "Oh, shoot. Not again..." He groaned loudly as he trotted to the bathroom. Walking up to the wall, he reached his mounted toothbrush. The brush stuck straight out of the wall, followed by three others. The bristles stuck straight out on all sides. The other three brushes belonged to his roommates. Naturally, he used his mouth to apply the toothpaste. Once this was done, he lifted his head and moved it around the brush. All while brushing his teeth, Pinkie was the only thing he could think about.

After a little while of prepping, Caramel lay in his bed. His eyes wouldn't close, much to his dismay. So instead, he rolled onto his side, and stared out the small window. A pale beam of the full moon shone down on his face and bed. The stars seemed to make a constellation of Pinkie's face. All Caramel could do was stare at his imagination in the stars, just wondering why the normally eccentric mare acted the way she did.

* * *

Pinkie laid in her bed, tired from all the day's endeavors. 11:40 P.M. Tomorrow, Sunday would torture her. She knew it, for it always did. Tomorrow wouldn't be an exception. Gummy snored in the corner, atop a small chewed bed. Pinkie wanted to sleep. She also wanted to smile, and to make others smile. Yet, she never got everything she wanted. My special talent revolves around making everypony happy, so why can't I do that anymore? I can't even make myself happy. What a failure I've turned out to be. Pinkie wrapped herself in sheets, blankets, and self-pity. I shouldn't be pitying myself, but here I am. Just...just look at what I've become. She began to tear up, when she remembered the reason she could be friends with anypony in the first place. A good friend is strong when others are weak. It doesn't matter whether the strength is real or fake, they need any kind of strength. Her hair's volume grew intenser, but not enough to return to normal.

I know what makes me happy.

So why can't I do it?

Her hair kept its volume, yet Pinkie sighed. She tossed and turned all night, occasionally glancing out of her large windows. Oddly enough, she could've sworn she saw a constellation of three horseshoes. Luna, you tease... Even so, she didn't sleep that night. Something was bothering her, her she couldn't put her hoof on it. Nothing had changed that day from her normal routine. The only thing different to Pinkie was the fact she'd stopped trying to trick herself. This was evident in her hair. That wasn't something she could control at will.

At last, the sun rose. Pinkie dragged herself into the bathroom. Her sleepless nights had become more evident under her eyes. Thick, dark purple circles had formed rather than her usual cheery pink. She stared at her reflection for a good ten minutes, practicing her fake smiling, phony giggling, and counterfeit 'happy' voice. She locked her knees and lifted her head to exude fake confidence. Someone had to have strength, and Pinkie decided it had to be her.

7:45 A.M., and she was already prepared for opening. Despite her hatred of work, Pinkie trotted downstairs. Much to her surprise, a certain colt paced heavily outside. She could hear fragments of his anxious muttering...

"She wouldn't... But she just might... Pinkie isn't the type to reject ponies..." Pinkie's ears perked up as far as they could, yet she still couldn't catch the last part of his mumbles. She smiled, a genuine smile, something she hadn't done for a long time.

"So, when do you think you'll come inside? Or are you too busy talking to your imaginary friends?" Caramel looked through the windows, seeing a smirking pink mare. His cheeks turned a pale pink, almost barely noticeable, buried beneath his orange coat. "Oh, I see. You're having a deep life conversation with them. I guess I'll come back later..." She teased, adding a playful wink before turning around.

"W-wait! Pinkie...!" Caramel called out, the pink blush upon his cheeks growing into a deeper red. "Th-the door's unlocked, right?" He asked, pressing on the handle slightly.

"No," Pinkie deadpanned, "You'll just have to stay out there. Forever and ever."

"Or, maybe in a hour when the shop opens?" Caramel regained his confidence, finally taking part in the teasing. Pinkie smiled, unlocking the door and guesturing for him to come inside and sit down. "You look nice this morning, Pinks." Pinkie stared at him, confused. Her messy, half-deflated mane, her heavy eyes, and her shaggy coat looked nice?

"You flatter me."

How could I not? You're absolutely beautiful. Can't you see that? Caramel smiled stupidly. "Pinkie, it's so nice to see you happy again." Her hair perked up slightly. "Your happiness is contagious, that's for sure. I haven't seen you as much lately, you keep yourself cooped up in here. Why?" Pinkie sighed, her hair deflating back again. She stared him straight in the eye.

Do I lie to him? I'd lie to my friends with ease, but something is different about him. I can't turn down that warm smile and genuine concern. However, I'm not entirely sure if I can trust him... Or even if he'd understand. Heck, even I don't understand why I'm this depressed. I must be bipolar or something... It's so annoying... "I.. I'm not sure if I'm ready to tell you." She said at last. The orange stallion's face twisted in confusion, and maybe hurt. "I'm sorry..." She whispered, "but I can't tell anypony just yet." A tear trickled down her face.

Confidence, Pinkie.

Strength, Pinkie.

Empathy, Pinkie.

For you.

For your friends.

For..

Do it for Caramel.

Back arched. Head up. Tears gone. Smile shown. Deep breaths, Pinkamena. "Much better." She looked up, seeing a pair of turquoise eyes staring at her. "Caramel? Everything okay?"

"Why in Equestria are you asking me that? Pinkie, I'm no expert, but something's bothering you. And no matter how hard you try and hide it from me, you can't. If you tell me otherwise, you're lying. Pinkie, I care about what you have to say. Somepony has convinced you that you're only a joke. I don't think so. You are so much more than what you believe you are." Caramel watched as Pinkie's hair lost all volume. She looked even more depressed than their last run-in. Caramel, you've done it now.

"I wish that was true, Caramel. I really do, but it's not. It never will be. I am a clown. I am a joke. I am a comedy machine. I am capable of nothing more. Absolutely NOTHING MORE." Tears flowed from her eyes like waterfalls. "Caramel, you're a sweet, sweet guy. But lying to me about who I am isn't going to help me. I know you want to help, I know you do. Props to you for being a gentlestallion. I appreciate the visit, but I need to be alone right now. T-the shop's about to open." And with those words, she ran into the kitchen. All she left behind was a puddle of tears and a stuttering stallion.