• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 1,034 Views, 54 Comments

Who'd Have Guessed? - DBP12012



Pinkie, on the outside, seems like an airheaded, happy-go-lucky mare. Maybe she is, but maybe.. Just maybe.. A certain colt can prove she's much more.

  • ...
2
 54
 1,034

His Meeting

Caramel trotted closer and closer to the farm. He could see the apple orchard in the distance. Before he even reached the farmhouse, the orange earth pony dashed up to him. She grabbed his forehoof, dragging him past the barn. Caramel gave up some resistance at first, but the mare had impressive ammounts of strength. He couldn't match her when she used brute force. He let out a few confused mumbles and fragments of words, much like when he saw the princess, only to get shushed. The farmpony picked up her pace, grabbing onto Caramel's hoof harder. This forced him to gallop along with this crazy mare. He hadn't even said a word to her, and she was already yanking him past the orchard. Faster and faster they ran, leaving the farm far behind them. Applejack never let go of the stallion's hoof.

"Applejack?" Caramel squeaked, breaking the otherwise dead air. She only responded with a growl, not even bothering to look at the stallion. Have all the mares in this town gone absolutely crazy, or is it just me? Caramel tried to loosen Applejack's grip once more, but to no avail. She held on tighter than ever, changing the color of his coat.

When Applejack finally stopped and released the terrified stallion's hoof, he shrieked. All the pain rushed to his forehoof. A huge purple bruise lay on his left bicep.

"Sorry Sugarcube," Applejack breathed hastily, "But I couldn't let 'em see ya here." Caramel's reaction brought a slight smirk across the earth pony's face. She chuckled slightly, saying, "Gosh, ya git spooked easily." Caramel stepped back, a look of fear and udder confusion in his face. His eyes told the whole story: He thought Applejack was crazy. "Anyway, I heard ya went tah see Twi, am ah right?"

"Y-yes, why do you ask...? A-and how do you know? And why did you drag me to the outskirts of Ponyville to talk about this? And-"

"Slow down there, sugar. I cin only answer so many questions." Applejack smiled warmly, bringing a hoof to Caramel's lips. She blushed slightly, staring into his eyes. His pupils dilated and his eyes darted as they were stared down by the mare. His stutter acted up a bit, as well as his nervous sweating habit.

"Y-y'know, I might go...um...somewhere else...why is Pinkie friends with these...these... INSANE ponies? Maybe this is why she's so lonely. Everypony belongs in an ASYLUM!"

"Look, you may think everypony is crazy. Maybe you're right, but you can't just shrug everypony off. I only asked if you'd seen Twilight because she needs someone. I don't know if you noticed, but she's just as depressed as Pinkie. Not everypony deals with depression like Pinkie. Pinkie will try her best to make sure nopony knows she's sad, just to try and keep them happy. Twilight actively mopes around and wants people to know she's sad, but they have to find out why on their own. Personally, that drives some ponies... Well..."

"C-crazy?" Caramel stared at Applejack. The honesty in her eyes hurt to look at. The pony had stopped talking with her normal southern twang. "AJ...? Please don't tell me you're as emotionally unstable as everypony else in this town..."

The farmpony chuckled, then sighed. "You...love her, don't you?"

"P-Pinkie? Y-yes, I do. Was it that obvious?" He kicked at the dirt slightly, staring at the sky. The sun had concealed itself in the hills. The only light remaining was Luna's pale beams and the farm's lighting in the distance. Still, Caramel didn't need light to see the earnestness in the once southern- he wasn't sure anymore -mare's eyes.

"Good, then. I can help you... If..." Her voice trailed.

"Applejack," He whispered, "Don't overwhelm yourself." Tears welled up in the farmpony's eyes. She blushed again, her hot cheeks cooled as the tears began to flow. "I'm sorry, Applejack," He whispered once more, "I.."

He got cut off. Again. "Ever since that first day. I couldn't call it love, but there was something. Something tugging at my heart," the orange mare sighed, "It was you. You and your silly charms." She laughed, a sad laugh, one that felt like a punch to the stomach to Caramel. He'd heard a few sad laughs from Pinkie, but none of them compared to this one. "I'm sorry too, but even if you don't feel anything, there's something I have to do..." Applejack whispered, her voice raspy. With those words, she leaned closer to the orange stallion. She planted a soft kiss on the tip of his nose.

"I'm the cheesiest, most fake pony there is," She sighed, "Thanks, though. Thanks for not running. Thanks for listening. You have no idea how much it means to me."

"I could guess." Caramel smiled. Applejack laughed, happily this time.

"You are just too perfect for Pinkie. You have such identical senses of humor...."

"C'mon, you 'fake, cheesy pony'. It's super late, and if I'm not mistaken, tomorrow's Apple Buck Season." Caramel teased, taking Applejack's hoof and leading her back to the farm.

"Thanks." She gripped his hoof, more gently this time, and leaned on him. They both walked back to the farm, simply enjoying one another's company.

"Applejack, I don't care if it's been two years since we last talked. You still mean a lot to me, and I know you mean a lot to Pinkie. I'm sorry that I couldn't be that guy for you, but trust me. A treasure like you won't get overlooked." Applejack blushed again, nuzzling into his neck. They reached the house, with only a single light glowing in the back room. "Just this once. I care a lot for you, as a good friend." He kissed her cheek, causing both of them to fluster.

"Thanks, Caramel. Pinkie's right, you are a gentlestallion. However, if you really want to win her heart-" She was cut off by a huge red stallion.

"AJ, it's late. Save this fer t'morrow." He said with a voice like honey, yet a stern look in his eyes. Applejack nodded, walking back with her brother. Before the door swung closed, she mouthed to Caramel,

I'll be waiting tomorrow. You'll steal her heart. We'll talk later.