• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 1,034 Views, 54 Comments

Who'd Have Guessed? - DBP12012



Pinkie, on the outside, seems like an airheaded, happy-go-lucky mare. Maybe she is, but maybe.. Just maybe.. A certain colt can prove she's much more.

  • ...
2
 54
 1,034

Her Eye Twitch

Author's Note:

I don't normally recommend songs for people to listen to during a chapter, but this song is just too perfect. I wrote the chapter while listening to it and I was shocked how similar the song was to my story :3
Eleventyseven's 'The Best I Can'

Pinkie opened her eyes, dazed and confused. What exactly happened last night seemed blurred, for reasons she couldn't find. Her hair had settled in its half-flattened, half-bouncy state. She rolled onto her side, expecting to see her usual gray alarm clock staring straight back at her. Surprisingly, a picture of Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake looked her in the eye, along with a flower vase and an analog-style clock. It didn't take too long for Pinkie to process that she had slept in Mr. and Mrs. Cakes' bed. Why she did, however, she didn't know. She stared at the old fashioned clock for a bit, wincing at the clock hands. 9:30 A.M., and the shop wasn't opened.

A slight panic rolled over Pinkie. She'd majorly overslept. On today of all days, she'd overslept. With the Cakes gone, the shop opened late. Late... for the first time. Mrs. Cake was a bit OCD about when the shop opened, and so it had always, always, always opened exactly on time. She rushed through her normal routine, brushing her teeth, mane, tail, et cetera. She slipped into her apron and flipped the sign over, only to turn around to Caramel, staring her square in the eye. An epiphany suddenly occurred to Pinkie. She'd forgotten to lock the doors, and Twilight carried her home. Caramel smiled at her, unaware of her current panic mode.

"Morning, Pinks!" He greeted, a bit louder than he'd intended.

"Caramel! You're here early. Can I get you a coffee or something? It's on the house." She replied, her voice shaking along with her body as she unsteadily moved to the bit register. Taking deep breaths and mumbling a bit to herself, she lifted her head, turned around, and entered a back room. From the looks of it, somepony had taken the coffee machine out of the kitchen. Caramel perked his ears, hearing Pinkie muttering about 'moving it back'.

"Pinkie?" He questioned, examining the mare. She looked perfectly fine. Her mane comed, her teeth white, and her eyes bright. However, her voice broke the look. Her eyes' brightness seemed like insanity. Her white teeth looked fake, along with her mane. It seemed as though a crazy pony made sure everything looked perfect.. too perfect. However, you cannot simply comb a mane like Pinkie's to inflate it. Maybe that's what was wrong, or what seemed 'off' about her appearance. Maybe it was that combined with her voice. Sure, she acted like normal Pinkie would have in the past, but this wasn't the past. Things had changed, Pinkie included. For her to revert back to her 'old self' so quickly seemed too out of place. Her movements even seemed off. The 'bounce' from her steps had vanished. They had been replaced with stiff, jerky steps. "Pinkie..." Caramel repeated.

"What?" Pinkie replied, a bit quicker than had been expected. "Just getting your coffee, silly." She spoke so casually, yet in light of her drastic change it seemed out of place. "Wmmmy aurm aouu sthoo sthad?" Pinkie grumbled, trying to talk whilst writing herself a note. Caramel took a step back, baffled. Him? Sad? Concerned, yes. Sad, no. The pink pony smiled, holding a pencil in between her teeth. "Aww, Cam, you don't have to hide it from me. We're friends, remember?" She giggled, dropping the writing tool onto the counter.

"Hide what? My alleged 'sadness'? What in the wide, wide world of Equestria gave you that idea?" He said, sharply. Caramel pressed his lips together immediately afterward, almost as if to apologize for saying anything. "What I meant to say was-"

"-Just that, right? Silly, silly Cam. I'm not as 'fragile' as you think. I can take criticism, and you should know that. How else did I become the best baker in Ponyville? It takes a lot to say that, considering AJ lives here too. Now, to the matter at hand. You're sad. I can tell," She replied, a happy yet serious tone lying in her voice, "Deny it all you want, but I can tell when ponies are upset. Now, tell your Auntie Pinkie Pie what's bothering you."

You. You're bothering me. It hurts me, Pinkie. It hurts me to see you sad. Because everypony deserves happiness. Because you deserve happiness. Because I know I can give you that happiness... If only you'd let me. Caramel fought with himself. Do I tell her straight? Do I lie? I can't lie to her. But I can't just profess my true feelings... Celestia, why does this pony have to be so good at reading me... I didn't even know how upset she made me, and here she is figuring my feelings out before I do. Is she asking me to tell her I love her? Does this mean she loves me back? Is she trying to let me make the first move? Is she too shy to admit her feelings for me? Does she know I love her? What does this mean? He began to sweat at his mind became a madhouse filled with questions he couldn't answer. He gulped, and sighed.

"Cam, if it's really that important, you don't really need to tell me. I just.. I can't stand to see you sad. I thought maybe it would help if you told me." Pinkie said quietly, breaking the otherwise silent café.

"I can't stand to see you sad either, Pinks. Tell me, what's bothering you? I may not be the Famous Pinkie Pie, but it doesn't take Sherlock to figure out you've been down in the dumps lately." Caramel replied, staring Pinkie straight in the eyes. "But, you won't answer that easily, knowing you. You'll dodge the question, deny it, or straight up lie. You're a terrible liar, though. You do this little eye twitch when you lie, so it's obvious when you are lying. There's that, and your mane seemed to be linked with your mood. So tell me, Auntie Pinkie, what's up?"

Pinkie's eyes widened, and her mouth opened slightly. Her eye began to twitch before she spoke. "My eye doesn't twitch, Cam." Pinkie said defensively. Caramel smiled, and gave a little chuckle.

"Liar." Caramel said, smirking. "You don't realize it, but your eye does twitch."

"Cam, seriously. What could be bothering me, of all ponies? Also, my mane could just be droopy because I ran out of mane gel. And I may seem sad, but it could just be because I'm thinking a lot," She retorted, furrowing her eyebrows. "You shouldn't jump to conclusions."

"Pinkie, I just want to help. You're going to deny it all you want, but this is something you won't be able to do alone." He half-yelled, choking over his words.

"Cam," She said, annoyed, "Why do you care so much? Nopony else seems to care, so why should you?"

"Because, Pinkie, you care." Caramel replied simply. Pinkie sighed, trying to fight her true feelings. He obviously wasn't giving up any time soon. She wasn't either, though. Caramel took a few steps toward her, and lay a hoof on her shoulder. "Sorry, Pinks. I don't mean to fight with you, but you need to understand keeping all your emotions bottled up isn't good for you. You don't need to act happy all to time, you know."

"Cam.." She trailed, gulping. "Just take your coffee and go. I don't know what you're talking about. I'm perfectly fine." She placed the to-go cup on the counter and turned around. She said without looking at him, "Do me a favor, and flip the sign over to 'closed' on your way out." Then walked to her bedroom.