• Published 7th Apr 2014
  • 434 Views, 11 Comments

Le Phoenix Feather - PhoenixFlame77



Hope. Hope is the only thing that could save her. Hope is the only thing that can save a poor, dirty servant filly.

  • ...
1
 11
 434

Chapter One: The Train

Chapter One: The Train

Glowing orbs of light flickered past the foggy, rippling windows, filling me with any hope that I could grasp. I urged to reach out; to feel the inviting warmth that seemed to be excludedly contained in the little balls. I yearned to escape this cold train car, filled with desperation and impaitence. But of course, nopony seemed to care how a little, poor, and dirty servant filly, thought.

I turned my head away from the misty window with some regret, because it felt like turning away from a bright, beautiful aura. Avoiding the eyes of the grumpy, tired mares and stallions that were obviously curious, yet at the same time, revolted, of an unexperienced filly sitting in their car, I reached down and grabbed the tan and dark brown messanger bag that was lying clumsily next to the bench. I unbuttoned the top, and then shoved my hoof inside it, groping for a large, leather book. Finally, I found it, and I heaved it onto the tattered leather that covered the bench I sat on.

I could still feel their eyes on me.

Ignoring the prickling sense I was obtaining behind my ears, I opened the book and flipped to the first page; the only page that was occupied with any writing; or any pictures, in the entire, old photo album. A worn, faded photo was sloppily pasted (by me, of course) smack-dab in the middle of the yellowing, moth-eaten page.

I made a mental list of the ponies in the picture. The mention of their names in my head echoed rather uninvitingly, bringing unwanted tears to the brink of my eyes.

DuskDark: The tall, lanky blue-grey mare-earth pony, with sapphire eyes, a black, flowing mane, and a cutiemark of a leather book with dragon wings.

CloudFlicker: The stalky, dark-grey stallion-earth pony, with alarming green eyes, a dark blue scraggly mane, and a cutiemark of a lightning-shaped flashdrive.

SunLily: The small, light pink filly-unicorn, with dark brown eyes, a electric blue, puffy mane, and a cutiemark of two popsicles intertwined, with fireworks surrounding them.

Hot, emotional tears were pouring over my eyelashes. Gosh darnet...this happens all the time! I thought, angry at myself. There are so many other ponies in Equestria who have bigger problems than me...there's no use crying over spilled milk, I thought, even more infuriated at myself. I slammed the book shut, collecting the surprised grunts from the ponies around me.

Still holding the book in my lap, I closed my eyes and turned my head back to the window. I fluttered my eyes open, and discovered that the tears had left them dry and hard. I ignored this and my thoughts steered towards the ponies that lay in that book.

My parents, and my sister's, deaths were not heroic or boast-worthy. It was a humble, sudden death that wouldn't have occured if it weren't for the dark red pagasus filly that had flown across the air right at that moment. I have met some fillies who say that their parents have died while fighting a vicious dragon. I have heard tell of parents that captain the Wonderbolts. I have also, unbelievingly, heard a story about being a secret alicorn, and having Princess Luna for a mother. I find it horribly disgusting to dishonor your parents like this; the truth shows the humbleness and greatfullness inside. Lies only bring false hope and unwilling self- sacrafice.

Ever since my family passed, I have earned my living by traveling all over Equestria, accepting assistant jobs. Some months, I'm a dishwasher at a restaurant; other months, I'm a maid at a hotel. You might be thinking, But you're just a filly! You can't work. Well, in a way, you're right. But I cut deals. I ask for no protection; they give me the bits that I need. When my family was buried, I promised to always work hard and make them proud.

Recently, Equestria has gained a new princess. Princess Twilight Sparkle, I believe she was called. She's been all over Equestria, attending welcoming ceremonies and parties of every kind. Of course, I had never attended any of these; I had always been in work when they happened. But one night, last night, in fact, I had the extraordinary opprutunity of going to one. Back in Vanhoover; the last town I had taken a job in, I had watched from a kitchen window as Princess Twilight Sparkle entered the village, waving to her new, loyal subjects.

I had worked at a cafe called Swissa Monalisa. It specialized in cheese and artwork. Weird combination, right? Anyway. I was the dishwasher. Anyway! The cafe was closing early because of the celebrations, and I was finishing up my work. My boss back then, a dusty yellow mare with a black and purple mane, with a cutiemark of a wooden spoon, had been putting on her hat and jacket. Her name was Ms. Bumblefly, and she had been a strict boss, that's for sure. I remember that job like it was yesterday...actually, it was yesterday. I quit around noon. Annnnyyywayyy, back to the memory.

"Graphite Star, are you finished here?" Ms. Bumblefly had barked rather waspishly. Her voice was funny because it sooooo resembled to her name. Every comment, statement, or question she made had been very wasp-like; sincere or not. I had looked up and met her cold eyes and analyzed the frown on her face. "Yes, ma'am," I bowed, and I placed the last, clean plate in the cupoard above the window, and clapped my hooves together. "Done, Ms. Bumblefly," I had bowed again. I had always bowed to everypony I met that was older than me; it was part of my inner code.

"Then you best be getting home...unless you are going to attend the ceremony," She had turned away, grabbing her purse off the hook near the maple door with her tail. I had just finished hanging my apron up, and my hoof was still positioned on the granite counter beside the sink. I had glanced over my shoulder, and had observed that Ms. Bumblefly was halfway out the door, her head inclined towards me.

"I might take a look, ma'am," I had replied simply and respectfully. Ms. Bumblefly blinked and frowned again. "Have a good night, Graphite Star." And she had slammed the door, leaving me alone in the cold, desolate kitchen, with no company except for the pots and pans hanging clumsily on the tile walls.

It had been snowy outside. White, crystalized snowflakes had drifted dreamily across my eyes as I stood outside, watching the blurred, royal blue carrige ride in front of a gleaming, noisy parade. Rows and rows of ponies had been positioned in front of me, all crowding each other to get a closer look at the newcoming princess. I wasn't particularly concerned about the new princess; I knew nothing about her, but I couldn't pretend that I wasn't curious; I had done some research about Princess Celestia's Academy for Gifted Unicorns, and Twilight Sparkle's name and description had taken up a whole page of the yearbook.

There had been an uproar from the crowd ahead of me; the carriage had approached. I had narrowed my eyes and craned my neck, trying to see over the tall mares and stallions that blocked my view. Parents were holding their fillies and colts on their backs, which had made it even more difficult to get a glimpse of the princess. I had sighed and hung my head, then turned away and started to make the 12-mile trek to the orphanage I lived in.

Suddenly, there was a flash of purple light that had blinded me temporarily, a roar of confused gasps, and I had turned around, surprised.

"Hello, citizens of Vanhoover! It is me, your new princess, here to say that I am the luckiest pony in Equestria to have all of you lovely ponies as my faithful subjects!" A magnified, cheery voice had echoed magically through the gloom. I remember dashing forward, eager for a glimpse of this magically talented princess.

"I have come here today to enlight my crowning, by giving you all a party in my honor, and yours! Meet me at the Towne Hall, where our grand celebration shall commence!" Princess Twilight Sparkle had announced, causing another uproar from the crowd. Some part of me, at these words, had awoken, and was jumping up and down in my stomach. I was intruiged by this new princess, and I wanted to meet her, to speak to her...even LOOKING at her would be satisfying.

I'd never been to a party, but I had been positive that I was going to this one.

_____________________________________________________________________


I had been trailing along behind the outskirts of the mass that was moving like a large, deformed catterpillar. Surely I hadn't been the most excited to attend this party, and I remember trying not to rush myself. Going to the party would mean a longer walk home; and also, Mrs. HummingBreeze, the Mistress of the orphanage, expected all fillies and colts to be home by 9 o'clock sharp, but I needed to go to this party. I just...didn't know why.

Towne Hall had now been in my view. Golden streamers hung from the tall podiums, and balloons hung on the rafts of the circular, red roof. I remember gasping with delight; I had always been used to dull colors of the orphanage and the many cafe's and post office's that I had worked at. I had smiled like it was the best day of my life. Something about the lightened town hall had filled me with golden light; like a warm, cozy feeling that hypnotized me like a warm, comfy, red-velvet cushion.

The crowd was filing in Towne Hall, some glancing at the parked carrige, others staring wonderingly at the decorations. I remembered impaitently waiting in the line, awaiting my chance to gain entrance. I also remembered glancing at the clock repeatedly; it was getting closer and closer to 9 o'clock...I could imagine Mrs. HummingBreeze fretting over my late return. Finally, the chance had arrived. I ducked under a stallion's extended hoof, under a mare's puffy tail, and into the magnificent building.

"Woah."

Rows and rows of long tables with white, silver-lined tablecloths had decked the giant, main room of the Town Hall, and a colossal, glimmering chandelier hung grandly in the middle of the domed ceiling. I had never seen the place so decorated; it felt like Christmas had come early this year. I grinned and turned my head every which way; I felt like an uncontrollable remote-control race-car.

I remember searching the long rows of tables for a suitable seat; one that was close to the princess, at the other end of the hall, and one that was away from the commotion in the middle of all of the tables. I trotted along the edges of the tables, causing some stallions and mares to look up at the little filly in the large crowd. I had turned away to look at the princess again, and saw that she was being offered a drink by a smart-looking stallion in a red and black tuxedo. Aghast, I had looked closely at the drink and saw that it was only lemonade.

I was very close to her now. I remember that I could've reached out...could've touched her purple hooves, could have tapped her golden crown if I had reached high enough. The crowd was flowing by her like a swimming river, and I was surrounded by the hungry fish who were moving me along. Disappointed that I couldn't straggle, I gave up fighting back the crowd and let it engulf me, my eyes still on the glass of lemonade.

It all happened very suddenly. The table where Twilight Sparkle's throne was behind began to wobble, and Twilight Sparkle had shrieked as the lemonade slipped off the table and through the air, spiraling towards her valuble, priceless, glass crown....

I was now in the air, spiraling towards the glass of lemonade, seconds from shattering, seconds from spilling its contents. "Nooooo!" I screamed, and with a heart-shocking thud, I had caught the glass, saving the princess from humiliation, and lay splayed across the tablecloth in front of her.

The whole room had stopped. The clinks of silverware against plates had died out as every pony had turned to look at me. The princess herself looked at me, a strange look in her eye that later I recognized as pity and curiousness. My throat had clogged; I remember trying to say sorry, but the words, I remembered, where reduced to a strange gurggling noise.

The horror...the shock...that I'd thought I'd seen in the princess's eyes....It had been unbearable. I was balanced on that table, stuck staring into those purple eyes. My mouth had been opened in paralization. I never...had seen...anything...like her eyes, before. Eyes that could hypnotize you with her emotions...I HATED them, yet secretly admired them.

It was the princess who had broke the eerie silence. "Continue eating," she had beckoned to the citizens of Vanhoover. The clinks of silverware against plates had resumed, and the chatter had risen high again. The princess had observed for awhile, ignoring me, and then her eyes flickered toward me. She had opened her mouth, then spoke.

"Can you come with me for a moment, little filly?" She had asked. Those words had awoken me from my transfixed state, and harrassed me back to the terrifying reality. "Y-yes, ma'am," I had stuttered, and the princess had pushed her golden throne back, raised herself up, flexed her purple wings, and left me to grope in her absence.

I remember wobbling my legs around and flopping on the velvet stage where the princess's throne was. White spots sparkled in front of my eyes as I raised myself up and rocketed down the stairs after the princess, who was leading me into a hall that led away from the main room. I remember gulping and setting off after her; the hallway was dark and brooding.

The hallway carpet had been red velvet, just like the main room's. The hallway had many, many grand, golden doors on its walls, leading to who knows where. I remember thinking that the princess had to be waiting for me in one of them. My questions had been answered very soon; a golden door on the left side had been open, still swinging on its hinges, as if somepony had just gone through it.

Sweat had poured out of my short, black hair, and I remember biting my lip and wiping it away with my hoof. What awaited me behind that door? A beheading? A banishment? OR...WAS SHE GOING TO MURDER ME?!? Graphite, calm down, you're being insane, I had thought. I could now laugh at that thought. I could now laugh....

I pushed open the door.

The princess had been standing in the middle of a wide, circular room, with walls filled with bookshelves and desks; cluttered with broken quills, worn parchment, and cracked mirrors. The room would have been the most interesting thing I'd ever seen at that moment; but what the princess had been doing was much, much more breathtaking than a dusty, old room.

Her wings were spread, and her horn was surrounded by a majenta glimmer, wimmering with the invisible wind that seemed to be in the room. Books of every size and shape were floating around her head, swirling around like a leathery tornado. I gasped in awe; what I wouldn't give to have those books in my hoofs...to feel their leathery spines, to read them cover to cover.

Majestically, the books had fallen to the floor, and her horn had stopped shimmering. She had turned around and bore her sympathetic, curious eyes into mine, folding her wings against her body. She had walked towards me, blinking her eyes slowly. I braced myself for a hit; for a blow. I felt her presence so close to mine, and I cringed back.

"What is your name?" She had asked me. I had uncringed, startled at her question. I had expected a scolding at the very least. I had bowed, very low, and responded, "Graphite Star, your majesty." I remember trying to keep the fear out of my voice.

Her purple, soft hoof had gripped my chin, and pulled my head up gently. I had found myself eye-to-eye with her. Her eyes were now soft, not cold, and they had reassured me that I was not to be punished. "Graphite Star, do you like books?" She had asked, pulling her face away from mine and walking back to the middle of the room. She had picked up a particularly large volume with her horn, picked up her right hoof, bent it, and turned her head to me.

Do I like books? DO I LIKE BOOKS? Books are the most wonderful objects in the universe! They take you on adventures, show you possibilities that could never be imagined, let you fly on their leathery backs...THEY LET YOU SEE AND KNOW EVERYTHING! If I could have one object, and one object only...it would be a book. BOOKS ARE MY HOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEE. THEY ARE THE MOST EPIC, BEAUTIFUL-

"Yes, your majesty, I love books," I had replied, bowing again. Princess Twilight Sparkle had smiled. "Graphite Star, I admire that. Not many fillies enjoy reading these days." She had replied, levitating the book down so it hit the velvet floor with a soft thud.

I had been wondering when she would talk to me about the lemonade incident, and I nodded, not hearing what she was saying. Would she be mad? Would she be disappointed? Twilight had been observing me as I thought this, and she finally spoke, breaking the short silence.

"Tell me about yourself, Graphite Star." Twilight had demanded politely. I was taken aback; nopony had asked about me before. "Uh...um...well, I am an orphan at St. Cennia's, just up on the hill...I've been in town for about a month, and I look a job at Swissa Monalissa...I've earned 7 bits in the last few weeks-" I had started, but the princess had cut me off.

"You work?" She asked. I had nodded politely, and she frowned to herself. "Go on," she had insisted, and I opened my mouth to speak again.

"I've been to four cities, and I've taken 20 jobs so far...I've earned 47 bits in total...I'm working for 800, you see...to buy a house...somewhere...and uh, I have a messanger bag with a notebook, the Harry Potter series, a dirty, blue blanket, and-," I had paused for a moment, tears filling my eyes, "-a blank photo album."
There had been an uncomfortable silence, stretching to the boundaries of forever, seeping invisble, inky blackness into the room. The princess broke the silence, and I remember being greatful that she did.

"How old are you?" The princess whispered, and I remember meeting her now pityful eyes. "I am 10 years old, ma'am." I whispered back. I had looked down at the ground now, pretending to be interested at an astray tuft of scraggly carpet that I had just noticed. Unable to stand the suspension, I had looked up and met her eyes again. I had been alarmed to see that a wet tear was dripping out of her eye.

"Graphite Star, I have a library in Ponyville, and I have been looking for a pony who loves books, who can work hard, and I have just found the perfect pony. Would you like a job?" The princess inquired, her voice rather watery.

I hadn't believed my ears. A library? Books? Working for a princess? OF COURSE! It was my dream job...Ponyville...everything about it was amazing! I was already imagining the wonders...a new school, a new start....

"I would love that, ma'am." I had answered, and I was eager to go pack my bag as soon as I got to the orphanage, and buy a train ticket to Ponyville as soon as I could.

"Then I shall see you in a week." The princess had concluded with a smile, and she trotted past me, opened the grand door with her horn, and left me alone to dwell in my happiness.

_____________________________________________________________________

That was how I ended up on this rumbling train, on a frosty, bitter Saturday night, with nothing for company but the grumpy stallions and mares that sat on the chairs around me. I smiled; reliving the memory was almost as delightful as experiencing it for real. My eyes, once again, darted back to the glowing orbs of light that lingered for a moment, then flashed away, as the train rumbled slowly along the train tracks. I glanced up at the clock, feeling eager. According to the clock, the train should be arriving in the station soon.

My thoughts began to ramble away, perhaps disappearing with the last street light that passed before the train petruded into darkness, having just entered a brick tunnel. I wondered about my new school...it was called Firework Elementary, I believe. 'A calm school in the outskirts of Ponyville, with an excellent education program and great grades all around!,' had been the description that I found in a pamphlet. Of course, descriptions in pamphlets were usually for clueless tourists....

The train lurched uncomfortably, sending my face slamming into the glass, and causing me a temporary throb of pain. I knew what this meant; the train had arrived! My face still throbbing, I leaned back and reached down, throwing the messanger bag over my head. I smiled again; the train had slowed to a complete stop.

"Mares and Gentlecolts, we have now arrived in Ponyville station. Please watch your step and please remember to give your conductor a tip on the way out. Have a pleasant evening, and we hope that you choose Mare-away Trainlines as your faithful transportation again soon." A cheery, mare's voice rang out through the loud speakers at the top corners of the train car.

I leapt up, joining the long line that had begun to que up, from the front of the train to the back. I saw an opening, and I dashed towards it just in time, delaying a stallion from cutting in front of a cheerful looking mare. I heard a grunt of frustration and I grinned. I don't like ponies who take advantage of other ponies.

I peered around the cheerful mare in front of me and saw that the line was moving quickly, and I felt pleased. I retracted my head and looked down at my messanger bag, just for something to look at. I dawdled away into my own thoughts and memories again, moving along with the line without thinking.

Before I knew it, I was the second-to-first pony in line. The cheerful mare in front of me payed the conductor an extra big tip, picked up her baggage, and moved off the stairs that led to the platform. My stomach doing backflips, I stepped one hoof out of the train, and another, and into the cold, bitter air. My future lay here.

My destiny lay here.

Author's Note:

<Quick Note: This is the story of me as a pony: Graphite Star. I hope you guys like it!>

I appreciate criticism and suggestions for grammar and craft!

You guys rock! Stay awesome, and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for reading!