• Published 7th Apr 2014
  • 430 Views, 11 Comments

Le Phoenix Feather - PhoenixFlame77



Hope. Hope is the only thing that could save her. Hope is the only thing that can save a poor, dirty servant filly.

  • ...
1
 11
 430

Chapter Two: The Library Tree

Chapter Two: The Library Tree

Golden sunlight filtered through the crack in the wall, fluttering into my dreams like soft feathers brushing against my cheek. My eyes fluttered open like delicate butterflies awakening for the new season of spring, stretching their wings for the very first time. I yawned, my thoughts not fully awake. I could lay in this beautiful oblivion forever...no thought, no aching bones. But life always carries on; and it takes you with it, no matter if you want to leave or stay. Life gives you no choice...it has a mind of its own.

The brightness of the morning slowly led me to being fully awoken, taking me out of the depths of my mind that were unexplored in the burning hours of the day. The scene that I saw before me slightly confused me; where was I? I seemed to be in a small room about the size of a cupboard...Harry Potter's cupboard, it reminded me of...and then the memories flooded back to me as if the wall in the dam had broken; the river released. I was in a cupboard, under the stairs, in a library...in a tree.

That was by far the queerest element about this job. I now worked, and lived...in a tree. I mean, it felt magical, like a mystical treehouse, but it felt odd. Very odd. Odd suited me. Odd. Odd. Odd. I like that word. It reminds me of Ood. Ood, Ood, Ood, I thought hazily. I grinned and raised myself to my four legs, and yawned again.

I stepped out of the cave-like space of the cupboard and looked up into the inviting mouth of the library. Shelves and shelves full of new worlds, unexplored places...shelves full of what I love. I blinked dreamily and twirled gracefully across the dark oak floor and sighed. If only books were pools...I could dive right in.

My thoughts were regretfully interrupted by the rustle of paper. I turned around and was alarmed to find that it was not the paper from the books, but a thick bunch of paper taped together and messily placed on the centerpiece of the main room. Next to it was a wooden horse-head. I narrowed my eyes and trotted over to the table, stooping low to read the note.

Dear Graphite Star,

I am away in Canterlot on royal buisness, and I need to to start work right away. I gathered information that you are enrolled in Firework Elementary, which begins tommorow, as you know. I will pay you two bits on the weekends, and one bit a day on the weeks you are off school. When the school year is upon you, I will give you three bits a day. On the weekends, you work two shifts, the night and the day, but you get a three hour break in between them. On the weeknights, you work the night shift...but don't forget to go to sleep.

A simple to-do list and a map of Ponyville is taped to this note. Have a nice day, Graphite Star! I will be back in at least three weeks.

Sincerely,

Princess Twilight Sparkle

P.S The cleaning supplies are in the closet next to your sleeping quarters.


I blinked and smiled. She really IS organized, I thought, humored for a minute. Then I cleared my throat, shook my head, and untaped the bundle of paper attached to it. It burst open and fell with a muffled clatter to the floor.

Simple. Simple...really?!? How is a four-hoof-long scroll SIMPLE? I groaned and then stopped myself. It's not the most work I've done in one day. I remember once when I was working at a ca- oh, you don't want to hear that. Anyway, I begin to read it.

1. Sweep the floor.

I rolled my eyes and bit my lip. Sweeping? Easy as pie. I placed the long (really, really long) list down on the table and scanned the wonderous library for a broom. I quickly saw it and I trotted over. I grabbed it by the handle and placed the dustpan on the floor. I swept the dust into the dustpan and poured the dust into the wastebin.

I started to work in a dance while I was sweeping. Twirl, twirl, jump, a little hip-hop move, and then another sweep. I smiled and hummed a catchy tune, and I dumped the dust into the wastebin. I leaned the broom on the wall and looked around the floor. "It looks clean," I observe, nodding my head. Okay...what's next? I ask myself, and I trotted over to the table and seized the checklist.

2. Polish the Centerpiece.

I looked up from the checklist and saw a satisfyingly well-placed wooden horse-head, positioned in the middle of the table. I smiled and fluttered my eyes at the centerpiece. "Unique taste, but it works," I joked. But its not like anypony was listening, so I dismissed the joke with a wave of my hoof. I dropped the checklist and it crumbled to the floor again. I turned my head, my black hair flying in front of my face, and spotted the supply closet very quickly. I trotted over, keeping my eyes on the doorknob.

When I stopped in front of the door, I extended my hoof out to the rusted doorknob. Without hesitation, I pulled it open, to reveal a confined space, bursting-to-the-brim with different cleaning tools; some I'd never even seen before. I pulled my hoof off the handle and stepped forward, accidentally stepping on an over-turned handle of a broom. I closed my eyes and winced, bracing for the entire contents of the closet to fall on me. I waited for a few drawling moments, and then opened my eyes and turned my head, to find that everything was safe.

I wiped my head with my hoof in relief, and my elbow accidently brushed the edge of a feather duster.

Oh no.

The feather duster fell off its perch, knocked over a broom, and slowly caused a chain reaction, so there was a wave of cleaning supplies storming towards me. I gasped and closed my eyes with instinct as a broom slammed on my head, causing green and pink dots to appear around the edges of my closed-eye vision. I winced as the brooms, feather dusters, mops, and paint cans fell on top of me, causing my legs, head, and back to throb painfully.

Please stop, I begged in my mind, even though I knew it wouldn't do any good. I bit my tongue as more and more supplies fell on me. Then, as soon as it had started, it stopped. I sighed with relief, and opened my eyes. Dust immediately stung them, and I shut them again. Ugh, I thought. Now I'll have to do this with my eyes closed.

I lifted myself up. I groaned as another broom clonked me on the head, but I blinked back tears from behind my eyelids. I hooved my way through the maze of cleaning supplies, searching for openings that could free me from this dust-filled cage. I coughed as I took a breath. The dust filled my lungs like water; it was so dense I almost couldn't breathe.

I reached my hoof to the right, and I found an empty space. Yes! I thought, feeling victorious. I raised up on my backlegs and pushed myself through the hole, wiggling my shoulders to make the journey easier. I heard a loud POP! and I tumbled onto the wooden floor, banging my head on the something. "Owch!" I exclaimed, and I scratched the spot where my head was throbbing.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, and I squinted at the mass that I had just escaped from. It was gigantic, and cleaning supplies were scattered across the floor, a few feet apart from the giant pile. I groaned. Great. Just another mess I have to clean up, I thought, growling, and I raised myself to my four hooves.

I narrowed my eyes and looked over my shoulder, to see what I had bumped my head on. Ah, the table, I nodded to myself. I noticed that my shoulder was covered with grime as I stared at the table, and I glanced down at it, curious. It was clouded in dust, and a few bits of discarded paint. I looked down at the rest of my body and realized, with a moan, that I was filthy. "GREAT! Now I'll have to go jump in the lake." I growled to myself.

I bent down, prepared to clean up the mess, and I was surprisingly interrupted by the library door opening. I whipped my head around, my black hair flying in front of my eyes, and I saw a skinny, curvy figure standing in the doorway, the gleaming sunlight hiding the details of their features. I squinted, trying to make out their facial expression, but I couldn't see.

The sun was blinded by a cloud, and I could see the figure in full definition. The doorway shut behind them as they stepped into the library, looking around with their radiant blue eyes.

A white, flawless-skinned mare stood in front of me, her posture perfect and her features symmetrical. She had bodacious purple hair, curled perfectly and fashionably, tweaked to fit the latest trends. She had a small, skinny horn on her head, and a cutiemark of three dazzling blue gems. I was confused. Who is she? I wondered, and I cocked my eyebrow and stood up.

Her eyes flashed around, and they finally settled on me. Her expression changed from neutral to absolutely mortified as quick as a lightning strike, and I felt positively bruised inside. My heart burned from the obvious disgust shown on her face. I knew I wasn't the prettiest filly, I was actually very far from that, but was I really that distasteful?

"Oh my. You look certainly," she scanned me, "busy." Her voice was quaint and bold; I could tell that she was obviously attractive to stallions. She stepped forward and looked over at the door, but then she glanced back at me. "Er...I don't mean to intrude, but have you seen Twilight?" She inquired, lowering her head to mine. I nodded. I bowed to the mare, trying not to forget my motto of politeness, and responded.

"She is in Canterlot, on royal buisness, ma'am.

I looked up and saw, to my pleasure, that the mare looked delighted. She fluttered her eyelashes, and I was reminded of black butterflies. "...Who might you be, little colt?" She inquired. I swallowed my protest and responded, looking straight into her eyes. "Pardon me, but I'm a filly, ma'am. My name is Graphite Star," I answered. She looked embarrassed, and her cheeks flushed bright pink. "My apologies, Graphite Star. My name is Rarity; I'm a good friend of Twilight's. Now, may I ask...what are you doing in the library on a sunny Saturday like this?" The mare called Rarity catechized.

I stood up, because I saw no need to bow anymore. I expected to see this mare a lot over the next year or so, depending on how long I stayed in Ponyville, since she was clearly authorized to enter the library on a Sunday, even when it was closed. "Oh, I work here, ma'am. Mistress Twilight hired me," I explained, gesturing to the closet where I slept. Rarity blinked and stared at me, her expression now revolted again. She was now focused on my filthiness. "Darling, forgive me, but you are simply disgusting," Rarity gapped, disgusted. I shrugged. "I'll get myself cleaned up at some point, ma'am." I responded simply. Rarity gasped. "No no no! You have to come to Carousel Boutique straightaway! Anypony who lives in Ponyville should be clean!" She gasped again, flipping her mane. I rolled my eyes as I looked at the floor. I didn't liked being fussed over, nor caring about my appearance.

That's how you learn to feel when you're not pretty.

"That's really not neccessary, ma'am. I'll be fine," I assured her, putting my hoof down and glancing at the door over her shoulder. She snorted with rage and I looked at her, alarmed. "No, no, no! I simply will not allow it!" Rarity closed her eyes, as if refusing to look at such a disaster. I rolled my eyes again. Rarity wrapped her hoof around mine, and I gasped.

"Come on, darling! Lets go freshen you up!" Rarity exclaimed with delight.

Oh no, I thought.

This library tree is just leading from one thing to another, isn't it?

Author's Note:

<Hey guys! How was the dialogue between Rarity and Graphite Star? I would love to know how you guys feel about it!>

Love you guys!

Thank you for reading...criticism is encouraged! :twilightsmile:

Oh, and by the way...Spike and Owlicious are going to be included later on! They are currently...well, you'll just have to see! :ajsmug: