• Published 31st Mar 2014
  • 1,853 Views, 65 Comments

The Gray Cellist - WhiteDaisy



Octavia is a demiromantic pony who struggles finding somepony who understands her to date. Until she meets Vinyl, a complete stranger who helps her finish a composition, and becomes her best friend.

  • ...
7
 65
 1,853

Chapter 1

Canterlot, big city, busy and glowing at nighttime. Home of the powerful Princesses Celestia and Luna, who brought day and night to everypony's life.
Octavia was no different. And although she liked Celestia's cheerful day, she found all the inspiration she used in her cello pieces on Luna's mysterious moonlight.
And what a night it was. The snow fell gracefully on the ground, shining like fallen stars in the moonlight. It would have been a perfect night if not for the busy trotting of the many visitor hooves that day, shopping for fancy gifts in the streets of the city.
Octavia observed the crowd from her room, upstairs, looking through a wide window. Her Cello rested aside; papers were scattered all around the wooden floor. She was stuck in a new piece, and it’s usual for her to open the window and look at the moon for a way out of her art blocks.
Still, all those ponies, making so much noise outside...
Not even such a bright moonlight could help her today.
A knock on the front door made her shift her attention. She looked down, and saw two mares and a basket waiting for her to welcome them.
She slowly trotted down, her hooves knowing who they would meet at the door, and trying to take Octavia away from such... Well…
Octavia stopped, and adjusted her purple bowtie before opening the door.
"Please, do com-"
"Tavi! Happy Hearth Warming's Eve's Eve’s Eve, girl! We missed you!" All Octavia could see was Lyra Heartstring's mint green mane. The mare, as usual, had forgotten what personal space was, and was hugging Octavia tightly.
Lyra Heartrings met Octavia when both attended Music University, and became good friends since then.
"Hello, Octavia! Thank you very much for having us this year again, we appreciate it a lot." Bon Bon said with her sweet voice, carrying the basket full of sweets she would always bring to Octavia as her Hearth Warming's gift.
Sweet Drops was Bon Bon's real name, but as her most popular sweets were her bon bons, the nickname came and stood.
Lyra and Bon Bon were married, and would always come to Canterlot to buy Heart Warming gifts for their Ponyville friends. Octavia would always host them at her house, as she lived alone and had a spare room that she didn't mind sharing with them.
That was the reason for the first trip, at least. Lyra kept that annual because she knew Octavia felt a little alone living on her own in Canterlot. She had to stay there because of her work at the city's Orchestra, but she confessed she would like to move to Ponyville someday. Lyra hoped to make her company and lift her spirit a little bit with those visits.
"Happy Hearth Warming for you, Tavi!" Lyra said, giving the basket of sweet treats to her. "Two days earlier, as always. Oh and you should totally try Bon Bon's new Heart Caramels first, they are the best! And a perfect treat to give to a special somepony" Lyra grimed at Octavia when saying that sentence.
"Lyra…" Bon Bon scolded her for saying that.
Octavia was used to it; Lyra has been teasing her about it since they first met.
"Well thank you very much for this information! Actually, will you wait a second? I have to get to the nearest dance club and hook up with a complete stranger only for this night, than dump them." She smirked to Lyra. The only times she used sarcasm in her life were the times she had Lyra’s company – afterall, Lyra was the one to teach her such technique.
"You two..." Bon Bon sighed, smiling.
Octavia first came out to Lyra as demisexual six years ago. After the pack of questions and the usual, she started to tease her constantly. It became a little annoying at first, but after the news went cold, she stopped. Scenes like that one still happen occasionally, though. But Octavia would always have a good comeback in her hooves.


Octavia helped them put the basket on the table, and led them to their room, even though they already knew where it was. After unpacking, they all gathered at the big, classy living room, sitting in the comfortable sofas by the huge fireplace.
"But seriously, Tavi. Haven't you ever dated anyone? You can still fall in love, can't you?" Lyra asked, unwrapping one of the basket sweets Octavia insisted on sharing with them.
"In theory, yes." She said. "But..."
"Ponies always go too fast for you, don't they?" Octavia agreed with Bon Bon.
"Every time I explained that I’m demiromantic, that I would only feel prepared for deeper intimacy after knowing them, they would never listen. They would try to kiss me on our first date..." Octavia explained, unwrapping the Heart Caramel. "I've tried several times, but that was the outcome of all. I presume I don't have to explain I had to dump them right after that. And they all thought I would love the kiss; that this time, with them, it would be different." She sighed, swallowing the sweet.
"Oh, the typical 'I'll fix you with my love', I see..." Octavia agreed with Bon Bon again. “I’m sorry for you, Octavia. I hope you can find somepony who fully understands you someday."
"Just like me, right? I am the perfect wife after all, ain’t I?" Lyra said in a joking tone, leaning to her wife.
"Of course you are, my Heart" Bon Bon followed, kissing her wife.
Octavia looked at the couple with a soft smile on her face.
"Indeed" she thought, "It would be very nice to have somepony who truly loved me."
She looked at the caramel in her hooves, letting her sight unfocused.
“I just wonder… When?”

Author's Note:

Being a demisexual myself, and with Asexy April coming up, I though contributing to it would be fun!
That's when Octavia came to my mind, and fitted like a glove: the demisexual color is gray (her coat color). Actually, her whole color scheme fits the asexual flag (white, gray, black, purple horizontal stripes).
So, I hope you enjoy it!
And note: English is not my first language, so I'm sorry for any errors.