• Published 27th Mar 2014
  • 1,523 Views, 90 Comments

Apple to the Core - aceotaku



Applejack and Twilight Sparkle must help their families compete in a farming competition..against each other.

  • ...
2
 90
 1,523

Family Values

Pinkamena slept after a long hard day of working on the rock farm. She barely got much time for a good long rest, and she always savoured the time when she could. She was having a pleasant dream about working the fields with her father watching a stoic gaze when she heard the most annoying sound in the world.

“GOOOOOD MORNING PINKIE PIEEEEE!”

The pink pony got up with a start, turning with a hard glare to the yellow Pegasus responsible for disturbing her rest.

“Never. Call me. Pinkie.” She stated.

Fluttershy giggled. “Oh, no need to be such a grump pants! I brought cupcakes!” the yellow mare held up a tray of the baked goods in question.

Pinkamena merely glared and then walked off. “I don’t like cupcakes.”

Fluttershy gasped, eyes wide as she put her hooves up to her mouth in shock. “You don!? But everypony likes cupcakes! Even Applejack likes them even though she says they’re fattening but they aren’t cause they taste super good and yummy and are super nutritious!”

Pinkamena growled and set to work at some rocks. “In case you can’t tell, I’m a bit busy. I was working all night making sure I was ready for the big competition.”

“Competition?” Fluttershy tilted her head.

“Yeah, big farming competition up in Appleoosa. It’s usually an Apple family only event, however I hear they do sometimes make the occasional exception.” She smirked as she inspected a recently dug up black stone. “I hear the prize is pretty nice.”

“You sure rock farming is allowed?” Fluttershy asked in thought.

The pink pony shrugged. “Doubt it, good thing I’m not competing. There’ll be tons of ponies visiting from all over, meaning plenty of potential buyers for my product.”

“Ponies would really pay for rocks?”

“It depends on the rock, and what’s inside it.” Pinkamena shovelled nonstop. “Also, the only reason I am tolerating you is cause I am waiting for the trap I set to go off.”

“What tra-“ Fluttershyw as interrupted as she flung into the air by a catapult launching from beneath the ground. “WHEEEEE!” She shouted as she sailed through the air.

Pinkamena smirked before frowning. “Wait....she’s a Pegasus....she can just fly anyway...need a better trap.”

------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash walked down the street, heading to Twilight’s farm. Twilight was apparently getting ready for some big competition in Appleoosa, and Rainbow Dash was excited to see how exactly Twilight used her magic in her farming, and in general just wanted to lend her friend a hoof.

As she trotted, she passed by Applejack’s shop, and noticed some earth ponies she never noticed before talking to the orange earth pony. As she got closer, it became they weren’t talking, but rather arguing.

“Ah already told you!” The fashion loving pony yelled. “Ah am NOT going back to that dirty farm! Ah am much happier where Ah am, thank you very much.”

“Applejack, jes’ lissen!” One of the ponies called out, an orange coated Stallion with short cropped red mane and tail and whose cutie mark was in the form of a mug of frothy cider. “Applebloom’s too young, Granny Smith is too old, and us’n yer brother can’t do it all ourselves!”

“Ah have no interest in farming!” Applejack shouted. “Ah can make do without it!”

“An’ what?” The mare beside the stallion said; her coat a deep red and her blonde mane and tail long and braided with her cutie mark displaying the image of a glass of apple juice. “Yer jus’ gonna abandon yer family and let us squander while you sit in Ponyville...makin’ dresses? Does our family mean so little to yew!?”

“That’s in what Ah am saying, mother.” Applejack snorted. “Ah have my own business to take care of, and I’m not a farmer anyway, I would only get in the way.”

“We need you AJ.” The stallion said softly, eyes pleading. “Yer an Apple, we know you can do it. Jus...Jus’ think abou’ it.” The two ponies walked off, leaving the young mare alone...until Rainbow Dash walked over.

“Who were those ponies?” the Pegasus asked with a raised eyebrow.

The Orange mare sighed and looked down. “They were my family....will, still are really. My mother and father to be exact, Hard Cider and Juicy Apple.”

The Pegasus blinked. “You...you were arguing with your parents...why?”

“Oh, it was that obvious?” She chuckled lightly. “Oh nothing too serious, just the same old argument we end up having every few weeks or so. They want me back helping on the family farm, while I refuse and would rather live my own life than do what is expected of me!” She gritted her teeth, her right forehoof digging into the ground.

“Uh, easy there Applejack, you’re kinda ruining your hooficure there.”

The earth pony gave a shriek of horror. “Oh my stars you’re right! Ah simply must go back to the space and fix this at once!” She ran off in a mad dash as Rainbow Dash chuckled at the sight.

“Well, I guess it’s not a big deal...not like I should pry into her personal matters, anyway, really.” She shrugged and continued on her way to Twilight’s farm.

-------------------------------------

As Rainbow walked over to the farm, she was greeted by Twilight’s father. Rainbow had never gotten to speak to him before and thought this was a good chance to find out some more about her friend.

“Morning!” The Pegasus greeted.

“Guten tag!” The unicorn stallion returned, earning a surprised look from Rainbow.

“You’re Germane?” Rainbow Dash asked. “You’re pretty far from home.”

“Oh, ja, but my family moved to Canterlot some years back, and zat vas ven I met my vife, and vell you know how it goes.” He sighed softly. “Anyvays, vat brings you here?”

“Oh!” the Pegasus blushed lightly. “Twilight invited me over, but I thought it’d be nice if I talked to you for a moment...I-I don’t know much about you or your wife, and Twilight really hasn’t told me much about herself yet...I am curious about why you aren’t in Canterlot anymore. Twilight mentioned something about some scandals...?”

The stallion sighed. “I...do not really wish to discuss that. It vas quite a harrowing experience, to say the least, howezer, some good came out of it.” He smiled at Rainbow Dash, looking over towards the farm. “Twilight, when she vas just a filly, vas quite a handful. She vould become a nervous wreck the instant anyzing vent against schedule, and she vould always imaging the vorst possibility, no matter how improbable or vild.”

“Really!? Twilight has never acted like that since I’ve known...granted I haven’t known her that long.” The Pegasus smiled sheepishly at her admission.

“Exactly. After ve left Canterlot, ve travelled, trying to build a new life, away from ze scandals and ze noble life, eventually ve came here and decided to try a simpler, more down to earth life. Twilight was still against us living here, of course, but ozer time she grew to enjoy life on a farm, eventually helping us expand into a profitable business. Living here has done her vonders, she no longer grows stressed at every unplanned inconvenience, and no longer obsesses over planning ezery detail. She is now carefree, enjoying life, and thinking only about how to help others, and less worrying about her own problems.”

“What caused this change?”

Twilight’s father shrugged. “Zat’s ze zing, I cannot tell you. Twilight never really told me what changed her mind, and I am not one to pry.” He smiled wide. “I am just happy to see her happy...and having made such a good friend at that...”

Rainbow blushed in embarrassment. “ehehe thanks Mr Sparkle.”

“Please, no need to be so formal. Besides, my name isn’t Mr Sparkle, it’s Nachtlicht, zough since most ponies find it difficult to pronounce, I go by Night Light these days.”

Rainbow nodded. “Alright, pleased to meet you Mr Night Light.”

“A pleasure, Fraulein.”

Twilight came running over to them at that moment. “Oh Rainbow you’re here!” She smiled as she slowed down to a trot. “I see you met my dad.”

“Yeah he’s an interesting guy.” The Pegasus grinned at the two unicorns. “So anyway, what ya need help with, Twi?”
She and her father share a pleasant though significant look and she grins wide. “We’re going to be competing in the Appleoosa Farming Competition!”

Rainbow blinked. “That’s...neat?”

The purple unicorn nodded. “You better believe it! Most of the time, only members of the Apple Clan can compete, but this we’re being invited as a special exception! Of course we’re a little understaffed and need some help with moving supplies...”
The Pegasus gave a wan smile. “Oh, and I suppose that’s why you need my help?”

“Not just that! We’re allowed to bring some guests along to watch and cheer us on, and so I thought you, rarity and Fluttershy would love to come by!”

“Hmm well I’m sure Rarity would love to come and watch and over medical help, and Fluttershy....well, she’s Fluttershy. And I’m kinda curious about all this too.” Rainbow Dash grinned. “I’m in! But...what about Applejack?”

“Oh her!?” Twilight snorted incredulously. “She hates farming more than anything! She’d HATE to come along!”

Rainbow shrugged. “Well then, just tell me what you need.”

“Well for now we just need some extra help packing and carrying supplies to the train station....”

---------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Appleack was busy organising her inventory for the day, when the bell rang out, signalling a customer. “OH We’re closed at the...”

She stopped talking the moment she saw who had entered. A small yellow filly with a pink bow tie tied into her bright red mane, beside a large red stallion with a messy yellow mane.

“Bloom...Mac...” The orange earth pony muttered, eyes wide, her expression melancholic, then grew enraged. “Oh, Ah See how it is! Mother and Father sent you two here to make me change my mind! That’s just low! They now how Ah feel about this, about you two! How dare they?!”

“Be quiet for jus’ one minute!” the younger filly shouted. “Ma an’ Pa are workin’ real hard for the competition but we need yer help! Please sis, we need you to help us...”

The stallion looked over to Applejack, his eyes compassionate and hopeful. “Please, Lil’ Sis. We’re family, we need ta stick t’gether.”

Applejack’s eyes softened. “But...Ah can’t...I have the Boutique and my own dreams...If Ah help you now...”

Applebloom’s gaze grew stern. “You sayin’ we cain’t count on ya anymore, huh? Yer darn dream’s too important to stay loyal to yer family!?”
“Bloom don’t say that...” Big Mac said softly.

Appleack’s eyes widened and she bit her lip. “Of course I’m loyal...you’re my family...” tears fell from her eyes and she shook them away. “Alright, fine! Ah’ll come along and help, but that’s it! I’m NOT going back to the farm!”

“Yay! Applejack’s comin’ back!’ Applebloom danced happily as the three of them left the boutique, Big Mac standing beside Applejack.

“Ah’m sorry it came ta this, Ah truly am.” The large stallion said. “But...we really do need the extra hooves, and yer all we can count on.”

“It’s not your fault, Mac.” Applejack said. “I would’ve done it sooner or later anyway...You’re my family, you will always have my loyalty.”

“Thanks sis...”

“Not a problem.” She smiled, though looked doubtful.

----------------------------

Rainbow Dash walked down to the train station with Twilight and her family, Fluttershy and Rarity also tagging along, helping with carrying what luggage they could. The unicorns and Rainbow used their magic naturally while Fluttershy happily carried some smaller packages in her luggage.

“Are you sure Spike will be ok by himself?” Rarity asked Rainbow.

“Oh he’ll be fine! He’s tougher than he looks and he knows how to take care of a library better than I can.” The Pegasus smiled proudly. “I’d be lost without him.”

Rarity smiled. “Well as long as you’re sure, I trust you.”

“Does he have plenty eat?” Twilight interjected.

Rainbow sighed in exasperation. “I’m not an IDIOT, I left plenty of food and beverages for him and plenty of books for him to read,
though he can probably find something else to do in Ponyville if he ever gets bored of reading, I suppose.” She chuckled. “Like that’d ever happen. What could be fun than digging into a good book?”

The two unicorns rolled their eyes as Fluttershy giggled above them.

“Now girls focus please.” Twilight’s father called out in front of them. “We're here.”

The young mares looked over, gazing at the massive pink train stationed at the local train platform. Twilight’s eyes bulged.

“Oh my celestia!” The unicorn squeeled. “It’s an actual Coal Steam Ltd. LT009 Steam Engine! The wheels made of strong iron, the body covered toughened steel, the front bumper made of pure titanium! Oh it even has a classic smoke stack!” She ran towards the locomotive, practically drooling.

Rarity and Rainbow stared as Nacht Licht chuckled. “Oh, you hazen’t seen Twilight around machines, haze you?”

“You mean this is normal?” The cyan Pegasus asked with a raised brow.

“Oh ja! Our Twilight has always loved machines, and she is a real wunderkind when it comes them!” He chuckled as he lead the mares towards the platform.

Twilight was still admiring the train, taking notes on it as the luggage was packed and the group walked onboard, finding their seats, Twilight sitting with her parents while Rarity and the two pegasi sat opposite them.

“So I never took you to be a tech-head.” Rainbow said conversationally. “Weren’t you the one who told me you’d rather get your hooves dirty farming?”

“One does not exclude the other.” The purple unicorn began simply. “The better the equipment, the more efficiently a farm can be run, so I’m always trying to find ways to improve how we run things. Every once in a while I find it refreshing to just put the tools away and do things the old fashioned way with my bare hooves. But, in the end of the day, technology will always fascinate and excite me!”

“Ya ask me, ya darn city folk should go back where ya came from, and leave th’ farmin’ to us pr’ffesh’nals.”
The group collectively turned to look at a family opposite them...and Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow and Twilight stared in surprise at seeing Applejack sitting among them, burying her face in her hooves, blushing madly.

Night Light frowned. “Hard Cider.”

The earth stallion got up out of his seat, walking towards the unicorn stallion. “Now don’t take that tone with me! Mah family has farmed in Ponyville fer generations, and our farmin’ has done for th’ comminty than any other apart from the mayor. But you! Ya jus’ come waltzin in with yer fancy doodads and gizmos, taking vital customers away from us! We can barely make a livin’ thanks ta you!”

Night Light gazed at him coolly, unfazed. “It is neizer my nor my family’s fault that you are a poor businesspony. You spend too long harvesting, and you do not account for how many potential customers vill come along to buy from you. It is not like we are purposefully ‘stealink’ your customer’s avay.”

“Not to mention we make a point not to sell one thing!” His wife interjected. “You have only three products to your name: your apples, your zap apple jam and your cider. Granted you can make lots of things with your apples, and I applaud you for that, but its still based on a single main ingredient. Your jam is made using a special ingredient that only grows for a short time every year, and you can only provide your cider for about one single day. Mean while we have livestock to provide, wool, eggs, milk, and we have plenty of fruits and vegetables to sell, not mention our...”

“GET THE HAY OFF THIS TRAIN!” Applebloom blurted out from beside Applejack. “We don’ need no stinking unicorns, and our business rivals at that, sneaking onto our train and trying to compete in an event that is none of their beeswax!”

“OH how’d you guess we were invited?” twilight grinned wide. “I’m just so excited I can’t wait!”

“Why else would YOU folks be on this train?” Hard Cider spat on the floor. “Jus’ ferget the competition. We don’ need yer kind stealin one more thing from this family, or at least makin’ the attempt.”

Rainbow glared. “Sir, that is an unfair accusation you are making, not to mention an unreasonable request. We have already packed and boarded. I have good faith in my friend Twilight Sparkle and by extension her family, I doubt they have entered this competition through any illicit means. In other words: shut it!”

The earth stallion turned to the cyan Pegasus with a stern glare. “And who are you? What, now Pegasi think they can farm better than us earth pony folk, too?”

“I’m not a farmer, I’m a student of magic. I am merely here to support my friend in her endeavors.” She smiled as she looked over at Applejack. “Both of them, I suppose.”

Applejack gasped as all eyes turned to her and she scrabbled to hide...somehow. “N-no I’m not here! Ah-Ah’m not who you think Ah am!”
“Applejack why ARE you here?” Twilight asked. “You don’t even like farming, that’s why you left the farm.” She looked down, looking betrayed. “At least...that’s what you told me...”

“Ah did!” Applejack gasped out. “But my family...they...they needed me, said Ah was the only one they could turn to...Ah...Ah couldn’t just leave them be when they asked for my help directly...”

Rainbow nodded. “I understand, AJ, I don’t blame you at all.” She glared at Hard Cider. I don’t blame you at all for your father’s rudeness.”

“RUDENESS!?” The earth stallion bellowed, raising his forehooves aggressively. “Why I oughtta!”

“All passengers please be seated, we are now departing all stops for Appleoosa.” One of the train’s staff said. “Please show your tickets when we pass you.”

Hard Cider grumbled as he returned to his seat, he and his family (minus Applejack, who was pointedly hiding her face again) were glaring at the ponies across from them. “When we reach Appleoosa, we’ll show ya some good old fashioned Apple family solidarity. You ain’t got what it takes ta be real farmers, mark my words.”

Rainbow growled, her wings glowing, turning to Rarity as the unicorn placed her hoof on the pegasus’ shoulder, shaking her head. Rainbow sighed and folded her wings, which stopped glowing, and sat back into her seat.

It was going to be a long trip.

Author's Note:

Ok I’m kinda worried I went overboard with Night Light/Nacht Licht and Hard Cider’s accents.

Oh yeah. The reason Night Light is German/Germane is because he is based on a German MLP toy called...Nachtlicht. Well at least, the one who appeared in canon is...

Not much to say here though, since we’re just starting off I will say I am saving the Sparkle’s main export for focus on a future story, however if anyone is curious I will talk about it in the comments.