• Published 17th Mar 2014
  • 2,453 Views, 52 Comments

Love Is Blind - JP Jackson



Vinyl was born blind, but that hasn't stopped her from chasing her dreams of stardom. when she moves into her first condo she finds a bundle of energy called Octavia. if she can survive this young earth pony's "help" finding a gig

  • ...
9
 52
 2,453

Chapter 1

Vinyl felt around the MIDI keyboard, navigating her hooves across the smooth piano keys. Memory was her only guide to find the keys she needed. Most people said that it would be impossible for a blind pony to compose music. But those that knew her knew she wasn’t the kind of mare to let a little thing like not being able to see stop her. She beeped out a melody on the key board. It was good but it needed a little oomph.

“Add an arpegiator to that melody,” She said. The computer let out a compliant beep and the melody was edited accordingly. She smiled at the new sound and pulled off her headphones. She was sure that she would be able to make music without it, but the VoCommand program that her dad had rigged up for her was a huge help. The program worked as a mod to her DAW so that she could use all of the thousand plus features that the program contained without having to somehow blindly make her way through the list. She spun lazily in the chair holding onto the arms witch we riddled with braille buttons each corresponding to one of the programs on her computer. She pressed one to open her jTunes and slipped her headphones over her ears letting the music clear out her mind.

After a while she felt a tap on her shoulder. She rolled her head along the back of the chair and slipped her headphones off.
“Yes?” she asked in the direction of where the tap came.

“Have you finished packing yet?” Said the low voice of her mother. Vinyl groaned and slumped down in her chair. “Oh come on now!” Her mother said, her voiced moved away around the room. Probably examining the poorly packed boxes they lay around the rooms.

“Kind of?” Vinyl replied smiling sheepishly. She could feel the disapproving glare her mother was giving her.

“Vinyl,” she snapped. “You are a young mare moving into her first apartment, you need to do better than this.”

Vinyl moaned and slipped off her chair. She wondered over to where one of the boxes sat dejectedly, waiting to be filled. She lifted the box using her magic to feel around for where it was, then she sloppily shoved a few sweatshirts and boots into it and tossed it onto of a lopsided crate holding old stereo equipment. Vinyl turned to her mother.

“Anything else mein führer?” She asked. Her mother groaned and walked out of the room, leaving Vinyl to return to her music.

***
The cart ride from New Yoke to Ponyville was longer than Vinyl could bear! She slumped in the back seat and groaned awakening her sleeping father.

“What’s wrong now?” he grunted.

“How long have we been on this hell ride!?”

“Ten minutes, learn some patience Vinyl.”

Vinyl slumped back into her seat and pulled her headphones out of her bag and turned on her music. She tried to fall asleep but the cart ride made for rough travel and at every bump she was launched up and landed back down roughly onto the padded seat. She was amazed that her father had the energy to sleep.

“If this goes on much longer,” she said as the cart went over a particularly bad bump. “I’ll never be able to sit again!”

But the odyssey finally came to a close when the cart pulled to a stop in front of (what she assumed to be) her condo. She slipped out of the cart assisted by her dad and used her magic to guide herself to the door. She lifted the little doormat and pulled out what felt like a small key she unlocked the door and stepped in.

“Hey! Not bad!” Her dad said behind her. “You even have some furniture.” Vinyl concentrated her magic and sent a wave of energy through the house. This way she could learn where everything was without even needing to see. They were in a front room with a couch and a reading lamp, There was a second floor with an empty bedroom and a bathroom.

“It’ll do.” She said finally, stepping in and plopping herself onto the couch. As she did the cushion springs gave out under her and she sunk into the dusty heap. After one or two good tugs and thirty minute break so that her dad could rest his back she pulled herself out of the frame.

“That’ll be the first thing to go.” She hissed brushing herself off.

“Wat iz thees?” a voice called from the doorway. Vinyl glanced up and did a quick spell; it was an earth pony stallion, very old and feeble. She heard him step closer and took a few steps back herself as she smelled the stench emanating from him.

“Um who are-.”

“I am landlord! Who are jyou?” screamed the stallion moving up right into Vinyl’s face.

“Um, I’m Vinyl, your new tenant, remember? We met two weeks ago.”

“Oh, jyes. I see now,” he stepped back and Vinyl took in a breath of clean air. “Jyou are blind one, jyes?” He asked
“As far as I can tell,” She replied, wiping a bit of spit that had flown onto her mussel in the landlord’s fit. He grumbled something under his breath and turned to her father.

“You have first month payment?”

Vinyl left them to work out the payment and began to wander around the house. Even though it had a second floor it wasn’t very big. She ascended the stairs quickly hoping to get a better scan of the bedroom when she collided with a figure coming down. Vinyl panicked and quickly scanned the figure she wasn’t able to get a good look at it, but she did see, it was holding a knife!

“BURGERLER!” she screamed and ran down the stairs. This was just what she needed! Firs her couch collapses and now she was being robbed the figure shouted something but Vinyl was already down the steps and hiding behind her father by the time he reached them.

“AH! Ms. Melody! Have you finished packing?”

Ms?

“Yes,” a female voice responded. Vinyl stepped out from behind her meat shield and stared at where the voice had come from. Now that she was able to get a better scan she saw that it was a mare about her own age and the knife she had though she saw was only a bow for a string instrument. The landlord stepped between the two mares.

“Ms. Scratch, meet Ms. Octavia Melody. She will be in neighboring condo!”

Vinyl stared in front of her.

“What on earth was she doing her then?” she asked.

“I was helping Mr. Neighdolf here move out, this used to be his condo.”

“I am upgrading to private home in Las Pegasus!” Said the landlord. “Now, who pay me?”

Octavia took Vinyl’s ankle and led her out the front door.

“The two of them will be talking for hours about the price; you can relax at my place until they’re done.”

“Um, thanks but-.”

“Don’t mention it!”

The mare frog marched Vinyl across the front of the house to a second door. There she pulled out a key unlocked and pushed the door open. Vinyl’s super sensitive nose was assaulted by the aroma of lavender and clean linen. She walked into the room briefly scanning it to get an overview. The room was so elaborately furnished and decorated that it made Vinyl’s crumbling condo look like a room from a condemned building.

Octavia tugged her across the room and plopped her onto the couch.

“Do you want anything to drink?”

“Um, no, I-.”

The mare ignored her and plopped herself next to her on the couch.

“You’re… blind, right?”

“Yeah, last time I checked any way,” she was getting a little tired of this question.

“Well just so you know, I volunteer at the old pony’s home so I have experience working with the blind,” The Earth pony said handing Vinyl a key. “If you ever need help, come get me.”

Vinyl took the key muttering her thanks. She then rose from the couch.

“I probably should get back to my place pretty soon...” she said.

Octavia let out a huff of discontent.

“Its true city people ARE always in a rush!”