• Published 17th Mar 2014
  • 2,453 Views, 52 Comments

Love Is Blind - JP Jackson



Vinyl was born blind, but that hasn't stopped her from chasing her dreams of stardom. when she moves into her first condo she finds a bundle of energy called Octavia. if she can survive this young earth pony's "help" finding a gig

  • ...
9
 52
 2,453

Chapter 3


After about a week, they had gotten through the whole song with minimal mess-ups. Vinyl smiled at her young student proudly.

“You’re not half bad,” she said. “How about leaving that dusty old orchestra and coming to work for me?”

“Thanks,” Octavia replied stepping down out of the chair. “But I think Cello is more than enough for me.”

Vinyl opened her mouth to ask a question of the earth pony, but quickly snapped it shut.

“What?” Octavia asked.

“It’s just… nothing… just a stupid question.”

“OH come on! Were friends, you can tell me!”

“Well… can I touch your face?”

Octavia was stunned, that had come out of left field.

“What?”

“It’s just so that I can get a better view of you, a better Idea of what you look like, nothing creepy.”

Octavia complied and stepped forward reluctantly. Vinyl razed her front hoof to the earth pony’s face and gently stroked it. Her coat was incredibly soft, and her face was strangely warm. Vinyl finished and stepped back smiling.

“You’re pretty hot!” she said whistling.

“I-I need to go!” Octavia blustered. She galloped down the stairs grabbed the saddle bag she had come with and charged out the front door.

“See you then…” Vinyl said to the empty room.

***

Weeks passed deprived of word from her friend. Without Octavia bursting in every five minutes asking if she had time to chat, Vinyl was amassed with how much free time she had. She kept herself occupied by working on her music or staring blankly into space. Eventually she decided to call on the little earth pony and ask her what was up. Taking the key that Octavia had lent her she walked across the front of the building and unlocked her neighbor’s door. As soon as she did her ears were graced by a haunting melody. A low buzzing, that of a stringed instrument, permeated the house. Vinyl wandered in drawn by the haunting melodies.
She followed the sound, hoping that it would lead her to her to her vanishing neighbor.

At the top of the stairs Vinyl let out a puff of magic to locate the source of the music. It led her to the bedroom. The whole condo was a mirror of her’s so she found it difficult to navigate. Finally she pushed open the door and the music was amplified. She stood there for a while silently listening to the dark melodies. The song had a quick tempo, it would have sounded happy on any other instrument, but the low voice of the cello gave it a sad quality. Suddenly the music stopped.

“VINYL! What are you doing here!?”

“Keep playing,” she said. There was a moment of stillness then the song started up again. Vinyl pulled her laptop out of her saddlebag and booted it up.

“What in Equestria are you doing?”

“Just keep playing, ignore me.”

Octavia continued the melody and Vinyl beet out a quick rhythm on her drum pad. Kick, snare, kick, snare, kick, snare.
“This is good,” Vinyl muttered excitedly, pulling out the tangle of the rest of her mobile studio. They continued like this for four or five minutes Vinyl setting up beats and other instruments to go along with Octavia’s playing then she stopped.

“What happened?” Vinyl asked looking up from her computer.

“That’s the end of the song,” Octavia replied simply. Vinyl shook her head disapprovingly.

“That won’t do, start over!” Vinyl felt a slight tremor as Octavia stomped her hoof in frustration.

“What is the point of all this? First you burst into my house unannounced, then you interrupt me while I’m trying to practice, then you tell me to just ignore you like you not sitting there judging me!”

“Judging you? What in-.”

“DON’T DENY IT!” Octavia screamed, causing vinyl to jump with fright at her friend’s sudden rage. “YOU WERE TRYING TO DO ALL THAT FANCY STUFF WITH YOU COMPUTER SO THAT MY MUSIC WOULD SOUND BETTER!”

“Well, yeah, but not because you were bad…”

Then Vinyl heard the strangest sound in the world. Crying. The always happy, always energetic Octavia, the same pony who had made her move bearable, was crying…

“I’m sorry,” sobbed the earth pony, “please, leave.”

What was going on? Octavia had always been so animated, so joyful. Slowly Vinyl backed out of the room, muttering her apologies.

***

“Things have gone from bad to awkward,” Vinyl told her dad levitating him his coffee over the little table. Her father had decided to drop in and “checkup” on her or something of the like. But Vinyl was pretty sure that he was just tired of her mother.
“That’s too bad,” he replied sipping the dark brew. They were discussing Vinyl’s standing with Octavia. It had been three day since Octavia’s little outburst, and Vinyl had yet to hear from her. Even the low humming of her cello had ceased.

“I just don’t understand it!” Vinyl exclaimed lying next to her father on the barley functioning couch. “One minute she can’t leave me alone, the next she won’t even answer her phone!”

“Do you think I could have been something you said?” he asked.

“I don’t know!” Vinyl moaned and collapsed resting her head on her father’s shoulder.

“She probably is just going through some hardship, give her time.”

“But why hasn’t she come to me then?” Vinyl interjected. “When she was being bullied by someone in her orchestra she came to me, when her cello broke she came to me for help, even when her stupid faucet wasn’t working!” Her father looked at Vinyl in confusion.

“Shouldn’t the landlord have done that?”

“Mr. Neighdolf? I called him; I couldn’t hear what he was saying over the slot machines in the background.”

They sat in silence for a while, each pondering the same problem and reaching the same dead ends.

“Why don’t you just ask her?” her dad finally said finally, turning to his daughter.

Vinyl moaned.

“I don’t know if that’s okay. She seemed pretty angry last time.”

“If you consider her a friend it’s your responsibility.” Her dad said plainly.

Vinyl rose from the couch. He was right, it was her responsibility, Octavia had done more than her share of help for her she should do at least this for her. She head toward the door the stopped and turned to her father.

“If I’m not back by evening,” she said smirking “don’t even think about touching my stuff.”