• Published 21st Mar 2014
  • 2,165 Views, 232 Comments

Pony Souls - TcogArchitect



Most days, waking up is easy for Twilight. Today, she is starting to wish she never had.

  • ...
14
 232
 2,165

1: The Curse

Twilight slowly awoke, her eyelids heavy and her limbs sore from sleeping on them wrong. She yawned widely, looking around at her room. Same old bed, same old dresser, same old bookshelf, same old window, same old sunset-

Wait a second! Sunset!?

Now fully awake, she leaped out of bed and put her front hooves on the window, wondering how long she had slept. Too long. Looking out, she could see most of Ponyville, but something was terribly wrong. None of the ponies were out and about as they should have been. None of the sounds the citizens normally made could be heard. The smell of various shops cooking their dishes were gone. It was as if the whole town... was dead. And above it all, the sun hung. Dull. Browned. Static. As if it, too, had given up on the world. As if it was going out. Twilight spun back around and jumped straight from her bedroom's landing down to the ground floor.

"Spike! Spiiiike!" Nothing. Her number one assistant was nowhere to be seen or heard. Like he was never there. Her breathing quickened as fear began to set in. Her eyes darted around the room, looking for any sign of Spike, or any other living thing. Instead, she saw something else. In an alcove, the one she typically reserved for her own studies, was an eerie, disturbing sight.

A pile of bones. Pony bones. On top, sat the skull of whoever the white sticks used to belong to. Through it, a sword was driven downward at an angle, the tip wedged into the wood and impossible to remove. She approached it, horrified. There was a sense of morbid curiosity to it, though. As if the soul of the dead pony was calling to her, to save it. She reached out a hoof, slowly and frightfully.

FWOOSH

She jumped back with a yelp as the bones suddenly burst into flame. The fire licked at the surrounding wood for a moment, then, as if finding the taste unsatisfactory, receded back to the pile. She stared at the fire. It was unlike anything she had seen, magical or mundane. A fire that did not burn. Approaching it cautiously, she found it giving off a gentle, pulsing warmth, like a living thing. The light it emitted was comforting, like coming home from a torrential rainstorm. But there was something else, too. Something... powerful. Something that was begging for release, but trapped just inches out of reach. She laid down by the fire, studying it.

This fire is bizarre. It's like it wants to leave, but can't. And it almost feels... like it wants to help me, since it can't move, itself. But where did it even come from? Just how long was I asleep for, that everything can feel so... different? Her head drooped at the thought of what could have happened to her friends. From what she saw out her window, there was no damage to the town itself. Which meant that whatever happened had only affected the ponies within it. She shook her head free of nagging worries.

The only way anything will get fixed is to find out what happened to begin with! I'll need to find the girls, and Spike. Then, we can investigate the area, and send a letter to Princess Celestia. If anypony will know what's happening, it's her. With her plan set, she rose from the fire, and opened the door.

Outside, the town was deafeningly silent. As if the buildings themselves were holding their breaths, waiting for something to happen. Twilight carefully walked down the road, instinctively moving as quietly as possible, so as not to attract danger. She headed for Rarity's boutique first, since it was closest. As she walked, she scanned the other houses. Nothing moved. Nothing made a sound. Ponyville had turned into a ghost town, apparently overnight, and she had missed the memo. When she finally arrived, she reached for the door handle, then remembered the entrance bell and decided to use the back door, instead. She came into the kitchen, and as soon as the door was shut, strained her ears. Upstairs, she could hear a voice. No, two. Females. Hopeful but cautious, she made her way up the stairs and followed the voices as they became clearer.

"-and then, this other guy came rushing up, and wham! decapitates three wolves at once! It was really cool!"

"That does sound quite impressive. But I suppose you weren't able to find out their names, were you?"

That's Sweetie Belle's and Rarity's voices. But what is this about decapitations!? And why isn't Rarity bothered by this?! She moved closer, and looked around the door frame to see Rarity sewing what appeared to be chain mail, while Sweetie Belle watched from a stool. Both were dressed in armor of their own. Rarity was clothed in light mail, with short plates making up a skirt around her hind legs. Her sister, however, simply had a small shield strapped to her back, giving her the likeness of a turtle.

"No, I wasn't. He had this really heavy-looking armor, though. It was almost completely black, with these weird silver crosses all over it. I don't know what those were supposed to mean, though."

"Neither do I, dear, but it seems theories will have to wait. I don't know how long she's been standing there, but I hate to keep a guest waiting." Twilight jumped as Rarity and Sweetie Belle both turned their attention to her, and the latter waved as the former approached.

"Welcome, my dear. Please, come in, have a seat! I suppose you came in looking for some armor, yes?" She said as she trotted over, armor jingling and clanking while Twilight worked through her confusion. "Not to worry, I have almost everything kept in stock in all sizes. Now tell me, were you looking for the big, heavy armor, or were you hoping for something a little more unrestricted?" Twilight's confusion worsened as she was led through what appeared to be a fully-stocked armory, the less-important walls having been bashed down to allow movement around the entire second floor.

"I'll warn you now, the lighter stuff is more mobile, but it doesn't protect you nearly as well. Personally, I like to go with a mix. Light armor in the limbs so I can move, and heavy armor on all the important parts." Twilight suddenly broke away, shaking her head.

"Hold on a second! Why would I need armor!? This is Ponyville! We've never needed armor before, what is going on!?" She panted in exasperation as Rarity's eyes widened and she put a hoof to her mouth.

"Oh, my.... You don't remember what happened, do you?" Twilight cocked her head.

"What do you mean? What happened?" Rarity sighed, and Sweetie Belle shut the windows upstairs, before running downstairs to do the same.

"Darling, I need you to be calm for this. What I am about to tell you and what you are about to see will horrify and disturb you to your core. I need you to promise me, you won't scream."

"Why?" Twilight's fear was returning.

"Because if you do, it could cost all of us quite a lot."

Twilight swallowed a lump that had formed in her throat, and nodded.

"Say it, please." Rarity gave her a pointed stare.

"I promise I won't scream, no matter what you tell me or show me." Rarity still seemed unsure, but nodded anyway.

"Alright. Take a look at your cutie mark." A pit formed in Twilight's stomach.

"Why? What's wrong wi-!?"

What was wrong was blatantly clear. The mark itself was unchanged, but surrounding it was a black circle, like soot from a chimney, with small flames occasionally flaring out from the edges. Twilight's eyes went wide, and her body began to shake uncontrollably. She turned back to Rarity, and pointed at the circle.

"What. Is. That," she squeaked.

"It is known as the Darksign. A curse, to be reborn after every death." Twilight blinked.

"Wait. You mean, I'm dead?" Rarity tilted her head left and right a few times.

"Yes and no. You are Undead, just like us. Every time you die, the Darksign steals something from you in exchange for your resurrection. Memories, clarity, sanity. Eventually, your body will begin to decay, just like a corpse, and your mind with it. Every time you die, you come one step closer to becoming a true monster. A Hollow. A Hollow is an Undead who has succumbed entirely to the Darksign. They are mindless, and without purpose, save to consume souls." Twilight shifted in place anxiously.

"Souls?"

"Yes. Souls are contained within every living thing, sentient or not, and this is what we Undead require to survive. This is all a Hollow knows, anymore, and they follow the instinct to collect souls fervently. Just remember, not all Undead are Hollows, and although all Hollows were once Undead, the Hollowing process cannot be reversed. Only delayed. Perhaps stopped, if you're clever." Twilight sat down, mind reeling from the new information. She was an Undead, now. A creature that feeds on the souls of other creatures. A monster. Tears began to form in her eyes, and within seconds she was crying. Rarity moved forward, and wrapped her hooves around the sobbing mare.

"I know. It's terrifying. It's horrible. But unless you want to become Hollow, it's what you'll need to do to survive. I can see that you've only just gained your senses, though, so I'll help you out a bit. I'll give you your first set of armor for free. You'll need it, if you intend to make it out there." Twilight wiped her eyes with a hoof, and let out a weak, choked chuckle.

"I'm glad you haven't really changed through all this, Rarity." The other unicorn blinked.

"How did you know my name?" Twilight was dumbfounded.

"Rarity, we're friends. You, me, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy. We were all friends, remember? We met during the Summer Sun Celebration. You made me try on a whole bunch of outfits, and gave that sea serpent your tail when we went after Nightmare Moon!" Rarity tapped her chin in thought.

"Some of that does sound vaguely familiar.... I don't have any recollection of you, though. Don't forget, the Darksign takes memories when you die, too. I'm afraid I don't recall much from before. Only that I lived here, and that Sweetie Belle was someone very important to me. I don't even remember our relationship, and neither does she." Twilight's mood fell instantly.

"You're... you're sisters. You even tricked her into running a race with you instead of someone else, just to prove you cared for her." Rarity smiled sadly.

"I'm afraid I don't remember that, darling. But I'll take your word for it. You don't seem to have lost many memories, yet, so maybe you have a better chance at helping remove this curse than some of the others."

"Others?" Rarity returned to roving about the armor displays, searching for one that would work for Twilight.

"Oh, of course. You don't think you're the first pony to show up at my door, do you? There were several other ponies in this town who went wandering off in search of some kind of cure for the curse. So far, the only ones who have come back have done so with battered armor, bent shields, and broken blades. I fear the worst for the rest. But let's see if we can make you the exception, hmm? Go ahead, pick out some armor! Mix them up however you like!"