• Published 15th Mar 2014
  • 1,753 Views, 22 Comments

Growing Pains - Bluecatcinema



Mist finds herself feeling pangs of love... for two colts.

  • ...
5
 22
 1,753

The Lap of Luxury

The next morning, Mist got out of her bed and stretched. Her mind went over the events of the previous night; Her encounters with Luxury and Blue Blazes. Once again, she felt that strange warm feeling, which was in equal amounts for both of them.

'What does this mean?' She thought. 'Maybe I should ask somepony. But who? Not Shine... definitely not Caboose... Constell! She'll know!

Ever since Mist had first arrived at the castle, Constell had treated her like a surrogate little sister. They had often hung out together, and Mist knew she could trust to keep things quiet.

After breakfast, Mist caught up with Constell.

"Hey Constell, wait up!" She called. "Can we talk?"

"Sure, Mist." Constell smiled. "What's up?"

"It's... about the party last night." Mist declared.

"Did you have fun?" Constell asked.

"Yeah..." Mist admitted.

"Shine'll be happy." Constell noted. "That's the whole reason he wanted you to come."

"I know." Mist nodded. "But the thing, I met these two colts... and I started feeling these warm, gushy feelings for both of them. Do you know that could mean?"

"Well, either you're coming down with something, or..." Constell paused for dramatic effect. "You're seriously crushing on those colts!"

"I'm what?!" Mist gasped. "But... both of them, at once?"

"Guess for you, crushes are like taxis." Constell smirked. "There's none for a while, then two show up at once."

"No, no, no." Mist shook her head. "I don't have time for any of this. I have so much studying to do. There's no room in my schedule for romance! Especially for two colts, no less!"

"You sure about that?" Constell teased.

Just then, Caboose trotted down the corridor.

"Hey Caboose, what's up?" Constell asked.

"Got some mail here." He declared. "Including a message from that very handsome white-coated pony from last night whom Mist talked to."

"How did-" Mist stuttered as Caboose gave her the letter.

"Can't stop to chat." Caboose smiled. "Got work to do."

"Strange, when did Lieutenant Caboose bring in the mail?" Constell asked.

"I don't know. I'm sure it has something to do with this 'plot element' he keeps referring to." Mist shrugged.

Mist opened the letter.

"What's it say?" Constell asked.

"Dear Mist." Mist read aloud. "It was such a pleasure talking with you last night. I was hoping we could get to know each other a little more today. I'm standing outside the castle gates right now. Perhaps we could go for a stroll through town. I await your reply with baited breath. Yours truly, Luxury."

"Ooh, looks like you've got a date." Constell teased.

"It's not a date!" Mist hissed.

"So you're not going?" Constell prompted.

"Well, yeah..." Mist said awkwardly. "But only because he was so polite in asking. It wouldn't be fair to say no."

"Whatever you say, Mist..." Constell smirked.

"Yeah, yeah." Mist groaned. "Do me a favor and tell Shine and everypony else I'm... going for a walk, please."

"Sure thing." Constell noted. "Enjoy your date!"

Mist groaned loudly as she departed.

Mist made her way out to the gates, where Luxury was waiting. The sunlight caught his white coat, making it glimmer.

'Was he this handsome last night?' Mist found herself wondering. 'No, stop that!

"Hi." She said aloud as she reached the gates.

"I take it this means you've accepted my invitation?" Luxury smiled.

"Definitely." Mist nodded as she opened the gates.

"Excellent." Luxury chuckled. "Shall we?"

The two began their trek across town.

"So, my dear..." Luxury smiled. "Tell me about yourself."

"Not much to tell, really." Mist shrugged. "I used to live in Dodge Junction with my foster father."

"I heard my father talk about that place once." Luxury noted. "He said it was 'delightfully rustic'."

"Well, I wouldn't know about that." Mist shrugged. "To me, it was just home... until I came here, of course. What about you?"

"I'm afraid I'm just another 'privileged colt', who got everything he wanted with no effort whatsoever." Luxury sighed. "It's all rather tedious, exactly."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Mist declared.

"Don't be. I really have no ground to complain." Luxury shrugged. "But I do find the life of a rancher quite exhilarating."

"It did have its perks. But the royal life has suited me quite nicely." Mist smiled.

"Shall we stop for a smoothie?" Luxury suggested. "I know a wonderful little place."

"Sure." Mist smiled.

They stopped off at the smoothie bar, where Mist enjoyed a hay smoothie, while Luxury enjoyed a wildflower-and-dandelion concoction.

"So, you're princess Twilight's student?" Luxury asked. "What's it like?"

"It's really great." Mist smiled. "I've learned so much from her..."

Suddenly, Mist was knocked down by a passing teenage socialite colt.

"Hey!" She yelped.

"Pardon me, my dear fellow." Luxury stood up. "I believe you owe the lady an apology."

"Lady?" The socialite snorted. "I know who that is, and she's no lady. She's a chicken who's only a noble because her chicken brother married the princess. It's the whole 'Twilight Sparkle' debacle all over again."

"How dare you!" Luxury growled. "How she came to the status of nobility does not give you the right to treat her like mud! Now apologize to her!"

"Or what?" The teenager sneered, "You going to tell your daddy on me-"

Luxury cut him off with a simple right hook to the face. The socialite grunted as Luxury glared down at him, "I demand that you take your business elsewhere, before I resort to less gentlepony-like methods."

The scared socialite scrambled to his hooves and ran off. Luxury then helped Mist up. The two then left the bar. Mist was a little shaken by the socialite's words.

"Is that some ponies think of me?" She fretted. "That's I don't deserve to be royalty?" She had never once thought about her status here in Canterlot. She was still a filly when she first came to Canterlot, and even when Shine married Celestia, she never once thought herself... undeserving of the noble title.

"Of course not." Luxury soothed her. "That's just one fool's opinion. Make no mistake, you deserve your place as a noble and no other pony can say otherwise."

"But… but what am I in the royal family? I mean, I'm not technically a princess like my sister-in-law and niece, and I don't really have any say in any royalty-related manners." Mist stammered. "I don't even know if the term 'duchess' or 'dame' would fit me."

"I wouldn't worry about those foolish enough to not see what I see, Mist. 'Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.'" Luxury smiled.

"Doctor Moose." Mist smiled. "I always loved his work."

"Well, you aren't the only one who loves books." Luxury nodded. "Just remember those words coming from my lips, and keep on smiling."

"Thank you." Mist smiled. "For that... and defending my honor back there."

"It was my pleasure." Luxury leant in and kissed her on the cheek.

"Oh, well..." Mist gulped, flustered and blushing. She had to channel mental energy to not have her wings sprout out.

"Shall we finish our walk?" Luxury asked.

"Of course." Mist nodded.

After trotting around Canterlot, they returned to the castle.

"Thanks again." Mist smiled. "This was really nice."

"Indeed it was." Luxury kissed her hoof. "We must do it again sometime."

"Yes, we really must." Mist chuckled.

Mist waved as Luxury headed for home, then trotted back to the castle, a notable spring in her step.