• Published 8th Mar 2014
  • 1,874 Views, 62 Comments

I, Changeling - Majin Syeekoh



A collection of short stories about Changelings integrating into Equestria

  • ...
6
 62
 1,874

Windigoes

Cadance was sitting in a corner of Twilight’s old room, rocking herself back and forth on her haunches, her hindlegs curled up into her forelegs while a torrent of tears streamed down her face. She had found out the most horrible news, that she was directly related to a bugger, and not just any bugger—their queen! The vile being that had stolen her life from her for a month, leaving her to die in the Canterlot Caves. The being known as Bloody Mary, whose crimes were uncountable, probably even to the Diarchs themselves. To bear such a stain on her family pained her so greatly, she could hardly bear the shame. She heard a knock on the door.

“Go away!” She yelled.

“Honey, it’s just me. Can I come in?” a voice she recognized as her husband, Shining Armor, asked. Cadance thought on this for a second.

“Come in.” The door opened slightly, revealing Shining Armor, who came in and shut the door behind him. Upon seeing the state that his wife was in, he rushed over to her and started nuzzling her. Cadance weakly nuzzled back.

“So, how you holding up?” Shining Armor asked. Cadance gave him a glare that could melt a volcano.

“Oh, just great. First, the buggers move into the Crystal Empire, then you up and mentor one of the filthy things...now I find out I’m directly related to their Celestia-damned Queen!” she spat out between her tears. Shining Armor hugged Cadance.

“I’m sorry to hear that. I can’t imagine what you are going through right now.” Shining Armor pulled away from his wife. “But we need you in the throne room right now.”

Cadance looked up, tearing. “Now?” Shining Armor nodded.

“Yes, now.” He trotted through the door, Cadance watching him leave. Cadance sighed, then propped herself up onto her hooves and headed into the throne room. There she saw Celestia sitting in her throne with a very tired Luna yawning next to her. She also spotted Shining Armor...and Chrysalis. She headed towards Shining Armor, hugging him tightly.

“What is SHE doing here?” Cadance accused, pointing a hoof at the Queen.

Celestia shook her head. “Seeing as how she rules a protectorate of Equestria, I saw it only fit for when I reveal this most grave news.” Celestia then turned towards Luna, who was nodding off. Celestia frowned at Luna, then smacked her, Luna jostling awake.

“We are awake! What is thine command?” Luna said.

“I’d like you to read the letters we just got by dragonfire from the other delegates of the peace summit.”

Luna yawned. “Alright,” she grumbled as she pulled out three letters, “OK, short story, the delegates couldn’t come because of inclement weather. Apparently, everybody’s experiencing a lot of snow.”

Celestia nodded to Luna. “Thank you Luna.” She then turned towards Shining, Cadance, and Chrysalis. “There is also about three foot of snow in Canterlot, and we’ve been getting reports of even more elsewhere. This is most troubling, because it isn’t being caused by the pegasi. Barring an invasion of Frost Giants—”

“—those were good times.” Luna said dreamily. Celestia shot a glare at Luna.

“Anyway,” Celestia continued, “barring that, there can only be one cause for this.”

“And what, pray tell, could cause such a disturbance?” Chrysalis asked.

“Windigoes.” Celestia said flatly. Cadance and Shining Armor gasped, while Luna had fallen asleep again. Chrysalis stared confusedly at the Solar Princess.

“What in the hay are wendigos?” she asked.

Celestia shook her head. “Windigoes. They are winter spirits that feed off of fighting and hatred. The more hate the spirit feels, the colder it becomes.” Celestia then cringed when she heard her sister snore next to her. She glared at Luna, then smacked her again. Luna woke up with a start.

“We’re awake!” she cried out, “So what’s going on?”

“Windigoes.” Celestia, Cadance, Shining Armor, and Chrysalis said simultaneously, which caused Luna’s eyes to widen in shock.

“Windigoes? In July? This must have to do with the changelings…” Luna mused. Cadance glared at Chrysalis.

“This is your fault! Your damnable bugger invasion’s ruined us all!” She accused.

Chrysalis glared back at Cadance. “Well, if your populace weren’t treating my changelings like absolute garbage, this wouldn’t have happened in the first place!”

“We’re only treating them like garbage because of the Invasion of Canterlot two years ago!” Cadance roared, pulling herself off of Shining Armor, facing Chrysalis on her hooves. Chrysalis rose to her hooves as well.

“I make no apologies for that. I simply did what I thought needed to be done for the good of the hive!” Chrysalis said tersely.

“Well, did you ever think of how the ponies you hurt would feel about that!? No, of course you didn’t, because you’re incapable of feeling ANYTHING for a creature that isn’t a dirty bugger!”

“You keep using that word around me, and you’ll soon find out how wrong you are!” Chrysalis said through gritted teeth. Suddenly, an ethereal whinnying was heard that shook the castle to the core.

“Quiet, both of you!” Celestia admonished the two of them. “I bring you her to brainstorm solutions, and you two idiots end up feeding them!”

“Yes, now can we solve this so that I can get some SLEEP!?” Luna whined.

The two disengaged their pissing match and went to respective corners of the room, refusing to stare at each other. Celestia groaned. “Fine, it’ll have to do. So, any ideas?”

“Yes, I’ll just blast them with friendship.” Chrysalis swiveled her head to face Cadance.

“You can do that?” she asked.

Cadance glowered at Chrysalis. “Can I do that, of course I can do that! Are you daft?”

Chrysalis raised an eyebrow. “Explain how that is possible.”

Cadance groaned. “Haven’t you heard of the Four Loves?”

“No, I haven’t” Chrysalis said.

Cadance rolled her eyes. “And here I thought you were so good at sucking out love. Well, there are four types of love. Storge, the love one feels for family; Eros, romantic love; Agape, unconditional love—”

“But none of those are friendship—”

“—shut UP, bugger, I was getting to that! Anyway, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted—” Cadance groused before another ethereal whinny throttled the foundations of the castle.

“Quit sniping at Crystal Mary!” Celestia scolded Cadance. “That’s no way to treat your elder!” Cadance shot an icy stare at Celestia.

“And while we’re on that, why did you never tell me that one of my ancestors was a bugger?”

“Stop using that word…” Chrysalis growled.

Celestia shook her head. “You’re getting off subject. Please explain—”

“No, Auntie. I want to hear this.” Cadance said as she sat on her haunches and crossed her forelegs.

Celestia sighed. “Aright, but just for the sake of keeping the windigos at bay.” Celestia then inhaled and exhaled. “The reason I never told you about your lineage was because of how Crystal Mary turned into Chrysalis.”

“And how was that?” Cadance asked. “Some deal with a demonic spirit?”

“Crystal Mary would never do such a thing!” Celestia roared at Cadance in her Royal Canterlot Voice, blowing her hair back. Celestia then breathed in and out, collecting herself. “Your ancestor was subjected to excruciating tortures that no mare should have to suffer. She was pushed to her limit and beyond by Sombra’s dark magic into a twisted shade of what she used to be. For me to describe it would be horrible. It pains me greatly to even think about it.”

Cadance stared at Chrysalis. Tortured? She hadn’t considered that Chrysalis would ever not want to be her. The massive amount of torture that would turn a pony into that...Cadance shook her head and continued. “The fourth love, which is the love we need, is called ‘philia’, the love of friendship, and the love that Clover the Clever, Private Pansy, and Smart Cookie used to defeat the windigoes the first time. I should be able to pick them off, one by one, until they’re all gone.”

“Now that’s thinking with your horn, Cadance!” Luna said. She then drifted off to sleep, only to be jostled awake by Celestia with her magic. “What? Problem solved, I’m getting some shut-eye.”

“It’s not quite solved yet, dear sister. We still have to see if this foolhardy plan of yours will work.” Celestia said. She then looked at Cadance. “You realize that you’ll have to fly into the center of the storm and unleash your magic there to trounce them once and for all.” Cadance gulped.

“Yes, Auntie.”

“I won’t let you.” Chrysalis said. Everypony turned to her.

“What do you mean, you won’t let me?” Cadance asked incredulously.

“You’ll die. Feed me the philia, and I’ll do it.”

“And why would I do that? This is just another mad grab for power, isn’t it?”

Chrysalis stomped her hoof. “What do I have to do to prove myself to you!?”

“Save Equestria.”

“I’ve already done that once, and I’m trying to do it again!” Cadance snorted.

Chrysalis menaced Cadance, then sat on her haunches. “Fine, if you won’t give me any friendship, then I’ll have to collect it myself.”

“And how do you plan on doing that?” Cadance asked, unconvinced.

“I’ll simply collect it off of my changelings.” Cadance snorted. Chrysalis snorted back. “You’ll see.” She then closed her eyes.