• Published 2nd Mar 2014
  • 2,961 Views, 34 Comments

Unexpected Family - Bama Journeymane



What was supposed to be a summer long sleep over turns into something more for Scootaloo. A mother gone, the coolest mare in the world trying to make things right, and a stoic stallion trying to hold them all together is just the begining.

  • ...
3
 34
 2,961

Chapter 1

The loud beeping tore through her peaceful slumber. Cracking an eye open, Rainbow Dash silently cursed the little loud mouth for waking her. It was 4am. And it was time to get up, no matter how much her comforter tried to convince her otherwise.

Dash rolled out of bed and stretched out like a cat. Letting out an obnoxiously loud yawn, she hobbled towards the bathroom.

She was greeted by her reflection in her bathroom's full length mirror.

"Looking good!" she said as she reared back on her hind legs striking a pose. Upon closer inspection she realized that she was anything but; her mane stuck to her forehead, the product of the dreaded sleep sweat, her tail could have been condemned, and her wings were... it's best not to describe it.

"I feel so... yuck right now," whispered Dash at a level that would have made Fluttershy proud.

Yep, it was going to be a two shower day. Teeth chattered as her head and back were quickly sprayed with cold water. Cursing again, she quickly turned on the hot water.

Not wanting to doddle, she quickly washed her mane and tail with what she was sure was good as that fancy stuff Rarity uses, it said so right on the bottle, and was dirt cheap. Bits were for cool things like Cider, Wonderbolt's tickets, and Daring Do memorabilia, and yes in that order. Her coat was lathered and rinsed with no need to repeat.

Stepping out of the shower she shook the water like a dog and then pranced out of the room still dripping. A quick comb through of her mane and tail removed all the tangles, knots were boons to aerodynamics and had nothing to do with not look good, although looking good was almost as good as looking awesome, almost.

A rumbling tummy signaled the start of something more pressing, food. A bowl, a spoon, a carton of milk (which may have been a little past date), and box of Bucky Charms found their way to her dining room table.

"Munch... Crunch... Munch..." smacked Dash as she made quick work of her breakfast, followed by a very un-lady like, "slurp."

Dash giggled at her milk mustache that she saw in the reflection of her spoon. Enough of that, she thought as she walked back to the bathroom, "brushy time!"

Her pearly whites looked like new clouds fresh from Cloudsdale and she felt fine.

Finishing up with a quick preening she was out her door faster than she could say, "twenty percent cooler" but not as fast as saying, "why is all the cider gone?"

She practically fell from the sky, morning air was like that. It would get easer as the day wore on as thermals developed, but in the dead of winter that was unlikely. Winter flying was good exercise. A few well timed flaps and she was soaring some seventy feet from the ground with a smile plastered to her face, it was going to be a good day.

"Morning, Rainbow Dash!" shouted Derpy as she descended.

Dash dropped a little in altitude; Derpy had just about scared the feathers off of her.

"Jeez, Derpy way to start the morning," Dash rubbed her ear, feeling like she had sat too close to one of Vinyl's speakers.

"Oh, I'm sorry Dash," said a blushing Derpy," I'm just excited and I let it get to me."

"Excited? 'bout what?" Dash flew a little closer to eye a tuff of yellow hanging out of Derpy's mail bag.

"I got a promotion," gushed Derpy, small little stars twinkling in her eyes.

The yellow tuff was Dinky's mane spilling out of the bag, the little filly was sound asleep in the currently empty mail bag, empty of mail but not of filly. A small smile started to form across Dash's lips. Why did kids have to be so... cute?

"That's awesome news!" flying over she patted her old friend on her back, "So, whatcha going to be doing?"

Derpy tapped her chin, "I don't know yet."

Dash facehoofed, of course she didn't know.

Spotting Sugar Cube Corner, she decided to ask about that later, "I'll talk to you later, gotta jet!" The air whooshed past leaving a blond pegasus waving like a mad mare behind. She managed to do a couple of barrel rolls before touching down.

Dash blew her mane out from out of her face and then walked in. The clock read 5:30am.

The smell of the Cake's and undoubtedly Pinkie's baked goods almost made her float into the air, an unconscious effort to zone in on the tasty targets. One mental scolding later, Dash grumbled as she ordered a cup of coffee.

"GOOD MORING DASHIE!" Pinkie rushed from around the counter and wrapped her feathered friend in a hug. What is with everypony yelling? Who cares, Pinkies coat was soft and warm and she was squishy in all the right places.

Dash blushed.

"You can let go of me now, Pinkie."

"I already have silly filly!" chirped Pinkie from the other side of the counter, "what'll ya have?"

How did she? She was hugging me like a second a go. There is no way she. Buck it.

"Large—"

"Large cafe mocha with seven sugars?" rattled of Pinkie as she nudged the already prepared drink her way, with a stylized cream drip drawing of Dash's cutie mark.

Her tongue ran across her lips, she wanted it really bad.

"Just a large black coffee today," said Dash with a sigh.

"Slurp!" Pinkie downed the mocha like a frat boy downed a beer garning a harsh look from Mr. Cake and very jealous Dash smacking her lips almost tasting the caffeine infused chocolate gift of the gods.

"Watching your weight are we?" asked Flitter as she looked up from her own cup of coffee, "don't be embarrassed about it. Everypony gains a few pounds in the winter, if anything that extra little something looks rather nice on you."

A rainbow tail twitched in annoyance. It was a great morning.

"Are you calling me fat?" asked Dash, her face a light red from a combination of anger and embarrassment.

"No, no, no, not at all Dash,"

"Good because I would hate to put you on double duty today," snorted Dash. It was too fine a day to let Flitter get under her coat.

"Are we feeling frisky today, Rainbow?" Flitter strutted over to Dash and brushed her tail under her boss's nose, "So you want me to buck clouds and you. Is that it?"

"I... uh... n—"

"That's no way to talk with foals in the room, Flitter" shouted Pinkie as she pointed out the twins groggily sucking at their bottles in their play pen. Mr. Cake smiled.

"I... uh..."

"Yeah," spouted Dash before taking a sip of her coffee.

Flitter's face flashed red and she hung her head before slinking back to her seat. One day... Cloudkicker giggled into her hooves at her big sisters early morning strike out, "Flitter 0, Dash 1"

"Shut up, Cloud!" hissed Flitter before burying her woes in her latte.

Dash sighed and then flashed Pinkie a thank you smile.

"Whoa Dash, you've got cake flank!" said Wind Chill as she walked in the door.

Dash's eye twitched. Yep, her good morning had just flown out the window.

Cloudkicker grinned, "Dash 0, Wind Chill 1"

***

Work was easy enough and after several hours of convincing the clouds to snow some more, which took a bit more umpf than was normal, Dash flew towards Sweet Apple Acres. Nothing like an impromptu workout session with Applejack to work off winter withers. The worst part about it was that winter was still young, and Dash didn't want to be thunder thighs by spring and that is exactly where this was heading if she didn't do something.

"Hey, Apple Bloom! Is your sis around?" asked Dash as he was greeted by the little farm filly who was wearing a comically large apron. Bloom pawed at the floor.

"What's wrong Bloom?"

"AJ is sick," she replied lowly.

"What!" exclaimed Dash as she rushed by Bloom and up the hall, almost knocking Granny Smith over in the process.

Coming to AJ's door she could hear a light coughing from inside as well as muffled voices. Nudging the door open, she spotted Big Mac talking to Dr. Stable.

"You worry too much, Mac," Stable placed a hoof on Mac's shoulder, "It's just the flu she'll be right as rain before you know it."

"She better be!" asserted Dash she trotted into the room. She poked Stable in the chest, "If she's not I'll be on you like a bolt of lightning."

Mac's eyes went wide at Dash's outburst. He didn't think an act of violence or the promise of violence was going to do his little sister any good.

"Hold your hor—"

"Still don't trust doctors do you Dash?" said Stable flatly.

"Nope and I'm not going to start now," she huffed before checking on AJ.

Stable shook his head and then departed, Mac following closely behind him.

"Hey, Rainbow," said AJ weakly.

"Sup, cowpony!"

"Nothing much, just kicking flank and taking names as always,"

"Hey that's my job," quickly replied Dash, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

AJ started to shake her head no when her pillow was roughly pullet from under her, her head hit the head board of her bad with a loud, "thump!"

"RAINBOW!" shouted AJ as she rubbed her sore head.

"I was just fluffing your pillow, sorry," meekly replied Dash as held out the now fluffy pillow. It was quickly snatched away and returned to its original place.

"You have the grace of a mad minotaur sometimes," AJ folder her hooves over her chest giving Dash the stink eye, "I know you mean well but, I think it's better if you just—"

"I know I can cook you my famous get well soon, Mareaccan Harira soup!" Dash took to the air excited at her own idea.

"Uh... what was that sugarcube?"

"Don't you worry AJ, your friend Dash know just what will get you up and well," and with that Dash left her friend wondering just what the hay was mareaccan harira.

Meeting Bloom on the other side of the door the two tumbled down the hall and then down the stairs. Luckily, neither one of them was hurt.

"Bloom are you alright?" asked Mac his voice heavy with concern.

Struggling to untangle herself from Dash's tail she let out a muffled, "Yeah."

"What about me?" huffed Dash as she tried to untangle herself form Bloom, how the fillies bow ended up tangled in her tail was beyond her.

"I'm sorry miss Dash, are you okay?" asked Mac sheepishly.

"No, I'm not alright. I've had a bad day. Coworkers called me fat and then I come over to see if AJ would like to help me set up an obstacle coarse and I find out she's sick. I decided to fix her some get better soon soup and I run into Bloom and fall down the stairs. So, no I'm not alright." ranted Dash as she was still struggling with the bow.

Mac rolled his eyes and then pulled the bow's draw string, leaving it an inert little red ribbon.

Dash shot the ribbon a glare before turning to check on Bloom now that the two of them were free. Like herself, only had a few scratches and bruises. Giving her wings a test flap she found that they were uninjured, whew what a load of her mind that was.

"Wow, Rainbow you almost sound like a mare," said Bloom with a smile.

Her eye twitched, "Hey what's that supposed to mean?"

Bloom's mouth slammed shut.

"Nothin'" replied Mac, "are you going to need any help with the soup?"

Dash started to say know, but Blooms "I'll get my way or cry" face convinced her otherwise.

"Well my mom always said that the more ponies involved in preparing the get well soup, the faster their recovery, so why the hay not."

"Language, please Ms. Dash," said Mac flatly.

"Ugh fine,"

"That ain't nothing, you should hear some of the doozies that Scoots lets fly," said Bloom with no small amount of confidence.

"What!" screamed Dash.

"Uh... forget I said anything," muttered Bloom.

"Like ha—"

Mac glared.

"I'll talk to her and her mom about it, I can't have a filly talking like sailor just because I sometimes do," said Dash as she rubbed the back of her head in embarrassment.

"Better," said Mac before heading towards the kitchen, "Are y'all coming or what?"

The two fillies blushed, there was no way they were going to let Mac beat them to making the most amazingly awesome get well soup ever made!

Apple Jack snored softly after eating the big meal that her family and friend made for her. In addition to the slightly spicy soup that Dash made, she was greeted with fresh apple pie and a glass of cider. The three Apples and one Dash all looked at her with their own kind of affection.

Granny ran a hoof through her mane, Mac gently kissed her forehead, Bloom did the same as Mac as well as offer her a sisterly nuzzle. They waited for Dash to make her move, but all she would do was sit there and blush.

Dash politely coughed.

The elder two took the hint, but had to drag the still waiting Bloom down stairs.

"Affection is a good thing and I'll bet it'll be cute. So, why can't I stay in watch?" wined Bloom as she was dragged away. Mac just rolled his eyes and Granny just cackled.

Dash drummed her hooves on the floor, trying to decide what to do. She knew she had to do something. What would Pinkie do? She would jump in the bed and squeeze her like a lemon, not the best idea. I know , she thought.

Dash eased over to the bed and nuzzled her friend's cheek and then...

Green eyes! Green eyes! Green eyes! She's awake.

"I love you too Rainbow Dash," said AJ with a sleepy grin.

Jerking her head back, Dash blushed, "I... uh... you too."

AJ shook her head, "good enough, good night Dash."

"Night, AJ."

She didn't linger, opting to trot down stairs to join the others in their after meal conversation.

Mac patted his hoof on his swollen belly, "I didn't know you could cook, Dash, or that you could cook so well, even if it was a little... different."

"If you want to be awesome you gotta eat like you're awesome," beamed Dash rubbing her own food baby.

Bloom stared at the three adults in the room sleepy eyed, "I hope it'll get my sister well soon, I feel like it was my fault."

"tsk tsk tsk, Bloom, you shouldn't go blaming yourself for what ails your sister, she stayed out and played in the snow with you and the other two. She's a grown mare and she should have known better," said Granny as she rocked in her chair.

"Well how come I'm not sick,"

"Sickness is just weird that way, Bloom," answered Mac.

Dash's head drooped a little and her wings left her sides and sagged low against the floor, sickness was something she didn't want to talk about.

Mac gave her a warm smile, "With my sis out sick would you like me to help you set up that obstacle course Ms. Dash?"

Dash immediately perked up, "WOULD I! But, first you gotta stop calling Ms. Dash, that sounds like some kind of cooking spice. Call me Dash or Rainbow or RD."

"Or Dashie," giggled Bloom.

Dash's ears layed flat against her head as she gave the filly a hard look, "or that."

"Okay, Rainbow,"

Springing to her feet, Dash rushed around Mac and started to push him towards the door with her muzzle. Mac grunted in surprise but, didn't move.

"It's too dark to do it today," chuckled Mac, as he watched the mare try to budge his girth.

"Like hay it is," Dash looked over Mac's shoulder to the window to see that was pitch black outside, "Ponyfeathers!"

"Language!" said the three Apple in unison.