• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 1,268 Views, 45 Comments

The Musical - SolongStarbird



Trenderhoof's next article is about Manehattan's latest musical. When he meets the musical's costume designer, what he had hoped would not happen for a while does.

  • ...
4
 45
 1,268

The Intermediary

"Kat, you don't mind if talk to you for a second, do you?"

"Not at all Coco. What's on your mind?" Kat asked as he finished moving the rack of costumes into the studio for quick repairs.

"Well, I, umm," Coco began.

"Is something the matter?"

"No, not really. I just don't want to say it out loud."

"Come here and whisper it then."

Coco walked over to Kat and whispered in his ear, "I think I like Trend."

Kat didn't know why he was surprised. His mind began reeling. Coco likes Trend! This is perfect! I have to proceed with caution, though...

"Really? You only spent 45 minutes with him yesterday."

Coco pulled him into the studio and shut the door.

"I know," she admitted, "but he is so charming. He's funny, and considerate, and... I hope he feels the same way. What if he doesn't?"

"Don't worry," Kat assured her, "I will help you with this. I promise."

I already know how to...

<<<<(+)>>>>

Kat climbed the crimson carpeted stairs to the balcony seats. Normally, these seats cost a fair amount, especially for such a popular showing. But with a little help from Trend, he had managed to get three seats next to each other in the balcony most preferable for viewing. Oh, Coco was going to love this! He placed the reservation signs he had been given over the three seats. The only reason he had gotten off of stage crew duty for that night's show was that Trend had insisted on having him in the audience to explain the backstage events in real time, and the director had agreed. Kat knew that the real reason was because Trend was nervous, and wanted him there. Coco was not needed during the show. The wardrobe manager and costume assistants did anything related to her work during showings. Both he and Trend could not wait for the evening to come, and Kat was sure that as soon as Coco found out, she wouldn't be able to wait either.

<<<<(+)>>>>

"Coco, I have some great news! Trend came and talked to me. He wanted two people to sit with him during the performance to enlighten him as to what was going on backstage. He chose me and you!"

Coco was flabbergasted. "Wh- Why us?"

"He decided after interviews that I would do the best job explaining backstage procedures, and you are the obvious choice for explaining the costumes as they are in action."

Coco nodded, and then spontaneously burst into a fit of anxiety and hysteria. "This is big! I'm going to be sitting with Trend!!! What if I mess up? What if he doesn't like me? What if everything gets ruined!?!?!"

"Coco! Calm down! I promise that that won't happen," Kat replied in attempts to soothe her.

">sigh< Okay. Promise me?"

"I promise. Don't you worry."

<<<<(+)>>>>

Trend ran the magically hovered comb through his mane one last time. He had put on his favorite argyle sweater and had showered thoroughly, twice. He wondered if he was overdoing it. Nah, he wasn't. He had decided on the subtle approach, and for that reason, took precautions as to not go over the top, such as not wear any special cologne or use things like hairspray. He was going to make sure that if Coco liked him, it would be for who he truly was and what he truly looked like.

Coco was trying the same approach. She asked herself, When I go to a performance, what do I normally go in? The answer was that she didn't really dress up. She kept on flip-flopping. I will look better in a dress, but will it be me? She finally reached an internal compromise. She took her simple sky blue sundress out of the wardrobe, and put it on. She then proceeded to examine herself in the mirror. It was pretty, but nowhere near showy. It was perfect. Trend would notice the wonderful appearance, but there would be no gaudiness to possibly disturb him. Coco took a step back and told herself to stop worrying. If Kat was confident that she could do it, then why wasn't she?

Kat could almost feel Coco's anxiety from the apartment on the other side of the hall. He wondered if Trend was going nuts in his hotel room. Deep down he absolutely knew that he was the only one who was not drowning in a sea of anxiety. Still, he wondered if he should maybe dress up, not so much as to look nice himself, but to make the tension at the performance less severe. If he also did something to look nice, it would create the appearance that they all dressed nice because of the event. If he didn't dress up, Trend and Coco would probably both feel sheepish for dressing to impress, and the performance would be spent in awkward silence. He put on his grey fedora and coat. There was no way he was going to mess this up.

<<<<(+)>>>>

The entrance to the theatre was abuzz with chatter the night's patrons, who were waiting to purchase tickets. Trend, Coco, and Kat already had reserved seats, so the line was promptly bypassed. Trend tried his best to conceal the expression of astonishment his face bore as he gawked at Coco's simple yet stunning apparel. Coco turned to look at Trend, and her expressions followed suit. Kat smiled. The night was still young, and anything could happen.

"I think it would be best if Trend sat in the middle. That way we can both talk to him about the performance," Kat suggested. He had gone so far as to even be concerned with who sat where. He had quickly concluded that him sitting in the middle seat would be the worst thing possible, as it would cause a disconnect between Trend and Coco during the performance. The one thing that had been troubling him was who would be in the middle, whom he would be able to help in the romantically tense situations to come. He reminded himself that this was also meant to be a showing for the purpose of Trend's article, so the arrangement had to make sense from a business standpoint as well. For this reason Trend sat in the middle, Kat on his right and Coco on his left.

As the curtain parted and the orchestra began to play, Trend made a comment on the set design, to which Kat replied. Trend pulled out his notebook and took a quick note about what Kat had just told him. Attempting to make the night about the two of them, Kat also added in something about the costumes, ending with, "Right, Coco?"

"Umm, oh yes. The costumes were made to emphasize the-"

Kat smiled. He had successfully put Coco in the spotlight, and now she was nervously, but excitedly talking about how the theme was supported by the costumes, while Trend drank in every single word. As the play progressed, he tried to talk as little as possible, and when he did, he would find a way to turn it into a prompt for either Trend or Coco. He would also make subtle comments during musical numbers like "How lovely..." It seemed to be having the desired effect because as the performance progressed, the conversation between Trend and Coco grew less tense and more friendly, and to Kat's delight, they seemed to be inching closer at about the same intervals. By the time the curtains closed on the final scene, Coco had her head on Trend's shoulder and he had his arm around her.

As the three exited the theatre, Trend and Coco began to talk about seeing each other again, and to Kat's astonishment, Coco invited Trend to come her apartment in two days. After overcoming his being flabbergasted by Coco's newfound boldness, Kat felt an accomplishing warmth flow over him. His job as the intermediary was as good as done.

Author's Note:

There you have it, let the TrenderPommel begin!
Did I do okay with the climax?
I had a bit of trouble and writer's block involving it.
Tell me what you think about it.