• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 1,268 Views, 45 Comments

The Musical - SolongStarbird



Trenderhoof's next article is about Manehattan's latest musical. When he meets the musical's costume designer, what he had hoped would not happen for a while does.

  • ...
4
 45
 1,268

Neigh Miserables

The train's brakes skidded to a halt, alerting Trenderhoof to the fact that he had arrived in Manehattan. He grabbed his bags and set hoof onto the platform, his mind still swimming with thoughts of Applejack. Over the past week, when not writing his review on the Ponyville Days Festival, searching for his next topic, or traveling, he had been thinking about what had caused him to act the way he had. What had he loved about Applejack? One might think that it had been his sudden fascination with farming, but Trend had decided that it was more than that. It was something involving what Applejack had stood for, a sort of "hometown pride." It was the way she supported and represented her home. This is what Trend had decided over the past week. He was slowly getting over it, but it still bothered him that he had tried to change himself so much, just to impress someone who hadn't even cared for him. He could feel the warmth of embarrassment creeping across his cheeks just thinking about it.

He was jolted from his thoughts by somepony running into him, obviously in a hurry to get wherever they needed to be. Trend looked around and found that he was in the middle of an ocean of ponies, all either trying to hurriedly exit the station or get on the train. Trend weaved through the crowd, making his way to the exit as so many others were. As he made his way towards the center of the city, he was reminded of how much he loved the city. He had been in Manehattan many times before, writing about the cuisine, the culture, and the arts. This city always seemed to be turning out something interesting for him to write about. This time around, Trenderhoof would be writing about the new musical that had become highly successful and popular for it's unmatched quality and message. The musical, Neigh Miserables, had become a big thing right about when Trend had left Ponyville. It was the most obvious choice for his next column, so he caught a train to Canterlot and then boarded the train from there to Manehattan.

Trend walked past window after window of exquisite crafted goods. One of the things that stood out to him was a strange fashion line by the name of "Hotel Chic." However, he could think about things like that later. Now, he had to interview the crew that had made Neigh Miserables the spectacular show that it was. Trend counted off each of the technical supporters: the lighting designer, the set designer, the stage manager, the director, the...

Trend pulled one of the members of the stage crew aside and hastily asked him, "Who is that?"

"Oh, her? That's Coco Pommel, the head costume designer. Why do you ask?"

Trend panicked for a moment, then composed himself and quickly came up with an excuse.

"I, uh, seem to have forgotten her on my interview list."

"I wonder how you managed to forget her. Her designs were one of the main reasons this got so big."

"My bad. Thank you for telling me," Trend replied as he motioned the crew member towards the group. "Okay then, lets begin..."

<<<<(+)>>>>

Trend sat outside the theatre, examining his interview notes. His eyes blankly scanned the words and attempted to deliver their message to his wandering mind. Inside was a maelstrom of anxieties and recent memories. Oh no... It's happening again... I'd think that after the events of the Ponyville Days Ceremony, this wouldn't happen again so soon... I hope she didn't think I looked stupid... Stop thinking like that. It isn't worth it... Or is it?.. No, it isn't. You are a journalist. You will be somewhere else in a few weeks... Does it have to be that way?

Trend willed himself to get over it and focus, but he consistently failed to do so. Eventually, he returned the papers to his saddlebag and decided to go for a walk to clear his head. The walk almost serendipitously brought him to the city park, one of the few places in the city where things were relatively quiet. It was here that his thoughts became more calm and rational. Okay... This happened before, with Applejack... What did I do wrong that time?.. I already realize that I conformed way too much... So, don't conform... What else? Did I make my affection too apparent?.. Perhaps... I have to find a way to make it more subtle...

Trend had come to terms with the fact that he had once again fallen in love, for the most part. Coco, much like Applejack, just radiated hometown spirit, just in a different way. Unlike Applejack, Coco was a patron of fine arts. Trenderhoof, being a journalist, could relate to her much better. Trend had already begun to devise a plan to find out more about the costume designer.

Trend checked into the hotel, found his room, and begin to work on the questions he would be asking everypony in the private interviews the next day, especially those that he would be asking the costume designer.

<<<<(+)>>>>

Meanwhile, Coco Pommel sat in her apartment, writing about the things she had experienced that day. She had started the journal about a month before as a way to release her thoughts. She had found that it improved her daily mood, not to mention she rather enjoyed it.
>Today was quite an interesting day. The famous journalist Trenderhoof conducted a group interview with all of the technical contributors to Neigh Miserables, which of course, included me. The director did most of the talking. Trenderhoof didn't seem terribly focused on the interview. I wonder if there is something wrong going on in his life, or something like that. Listen to myself! I am in no position to make assumptions. He will be returning for private interviews tomorrow. I hope he thinks my workplace is interesting. I think it is.<

Coco returned the notebook to her nightstand and turned the lights out. The next day promised to be interesting.

Author's Note:

I am so proud of myself! I have created a ship so new that there isn't even any fanart or trace of it through google. (Anyone who wants to make some fanart of the ship so I can have a better cover is welcome to.)