• Published 28th Feb 2014
  • 1,268 Views, 45 Comments

The Musical - SolongStarbird



Trenderhoof's next article is about Manehattan's latest musical. When he meets the musical's costume designer, what he had hoped would not happen for a while does.

  • ...
4
 45
 1,268

To Woo a Fashion Designer

At 10:00 am the next morning, the private interviews were in full swing. Trend had already gotten through the director, set designers, lighting designers, and most of the stage crew. He was now interviewing the crew member whom he had asked the day prior for Coco's name. Trend could feel the skepticism emanating from him, and he was beginning to get uncomfortable. He quickly asked the last question and began to usher the crew member out the door.

"Hold on, Mr. Trenderhoof," the crew member began, "Why did you have the costume makers and designers go last?"

Trenderhoof was caught off guard, but then remembered the excuse that he had prepared in case this happened. To sound as convincing as possible, he decided on a formal approach. He quickly looked at his list. >Mr. Kato Grump- Animal Trainer, Stage Crew<

"The reason, Mr. Grump, is that I recognized the importance of the costume designers and makers and their key role in the play's success, so I saved them for last because I didn't want their longer interviews to keep everypony else waiting. I was trying to be considerate."

"Hmm," came Mr. Grump's reply, the skeptical look remaining on his face. Trenderhoof decided that he would have to keep an eye on him.

<<<<(+)>>>>

Kato exited the room quietly and headed toward the exit. Trenderhoof had organized the interviews so that whoever had been interviewed could leave immediately after. He, on the other hand, had different plans. Kato turned away from the exit and headed towards the backstage door. Mr. Trenderhoof was up to something, and he had a good idea what. Just to make sure, he would sit and wait. All good things to those who wait...

<<<<(+)>>>>

At 11:15, Trenderhoof finally had the chance to look down at his list and see the one remaining uncrossed name. >Ms. Coco Pommel- Fashion Designer, Head Costume Designer<

He ushered her in and began the private interview. He began with the normal questions, like, "Further explain your involvement in the production," and, "From your point of view, which portion of the performance was the best." He slowly crept up on more personal questions and eventually asked to see the costume studio. His subtle cajoling seemed to have paid off, as she eagerly agreed. Trenderhoof loved the pride for her work that he shared for his.

The studio seemed to almost be a cave of fabric bolts. Coco could not stop apologizing for the mess, and Trend kept politely insisting that she need not apologize. He made a joke about the severe messiness of his saddlebag, and Coco giggled. Sweet Celestia, it's working! Coco showed him the design boards, and Trend was quite amazed at not only the ability to make high end clothing, but also design the rugged cloth outfits that adorned many of the actors and actresses. She was adept on both ends of the spectrum! Trend proceeded to comment on her amazing skill and talent and then ask her, "Where did your love of fashion come from?"

"When I was little, my father would always walk me to school. The route took us through a street lined with shops whose windows contained the most exquisite goods. The ones that always stood out to me were the clothing shops. My love grew from those moments," she replied.

"I think that I walked down that street yesterday when I got here yesterday. I can see how it sparked a passion within you."

"What about you, Mr. Trenderhoof? Where did your love of journalism come from?"

"Umm, oh yes. When I was a colt, I was very nosy. I was everyone's annoyance, but I couldn't help it. I just wanted to know what was going on. One day, someone sarcastically suggested that I become a journalist and bother somepony else. I guess you could say that that is exactly what I did."

Coco once again giggled, bringing a smile to Trend's face.

"Oh, and I was just wondering, why did you leave me last?" Coco inquired.

This time, Trend was ready. "Yesterday, before the group interviews I was told of the costume divisions' importance by one of the members of the stage crew. He made a comment about how pivotal your designs were to the success of the play, so I knew I would be interviewing you longer. I didn't want to keep everypony waiting, so I made sure your interview was the final one. In other words, I saved the best for last."

Coco blushed, and Trend just about exploded with triumph. Mother of Celestia! I got her to blush! Trend, you can do this!

"Why, thank you," Coco thanked him.

"And thank you for your time, Ms. Pommel."

"Please, just call me Coco"

Trend smiled. "Likewise, just call me Trend."

"I have to clean this place up, I am sure I will see you at the next performance tomorrow. Goodbye Trend."

"Goodbye Coco."

Trend exited the studio a neutrally as possible. As soon as he felt that he was outside of hearing range, he began to dance and skip down the hall, happily mumbling a tune.

"Hey."

Trend was taken completely off guard. Startled, he tripped and awkwardly stumbled over to the wall, turning to see Kato standing in the backstage doorway.

"You seem awfully happy," he observed with amused and almost devious smile on his face. The clock, as if on cue, produced twelve rings from it's spot in the corner. "You also seem to have spent 45 minutes with Coco, twice as long as even the director."

"I had a lot of questions for her," Trend stammered.

"I know that look. You fancy her," Kato stated.

Trend went pale, and turned to desperation. "She can't know! You can't tell her! It can't end like last time..." Trend almost whimpered the last statement.

"You have nothing to worry about, I promise you. I just care about Coco and was watching out for her. She is my friend, after all. Calm down and tell me about this last time."

Trend sat and told Kato about the festival, Rarity, Applejack, and how he had made a fool of himself. Kato sat and thoughtfully nodded. When Trend had finished, Kato stood up and said, "You have quite a predicament looming over you, don't you? I think you might need a little help. I personally think that you would be good for Coco. She has been quite lonely as of late. I can't be there for her all the time, and I don't know if she has any other friends... I will help you in your ordeal, Trenderhoof. Be sure of it."

"Thank you Mr. Grump."

"Call me Kato, or Kat for short."

"Thank you. Trend for short."

<<<<(+)>>>>

Trend lay on the bed in his hotel room, contemplating the day's whirlwind of events. He had made a new friend, two new friends, one of which he wanted to become more than a friend. He thought about how much he had changed in the past week. His ego was no longer as massive as it once was. The pursuit of romance had burned it all away, perhaps too much. Kat had pointed out how he seemed to lack confidence in himself. Trenderhoof wanted to be confident, but he worried that any ego at all would ruin the situation as it had last time. He would let these thoughts wear him out internally and lull him to sleep.

<<<<(+)>>>>

Coco, much like Trenderhoof, had spent the evening combatting thoughts. However, she was better equipped; she had her journal.
>I don't know exactly what to think of today. Trenderhoof held the private interviews today. He is quite a character, and funny too. He asked to see the studio too, just like I had hoped. I forgot to clean it, but he insisted that everything was fine. Such a gentlecolt! I realize that since my interview, I haven't been able to stop thinking about him. Okay, I admit it. He is rather charming. I think that it would be a good idea to talk with Kat tomorrow about the whole thing. He always seems to know what to do.<

Author's Note:

In case you didn't get the references, Kato Grump is the "grumpy cat pony" from Rarity Takes Manehattan.