• Published 16th Jan 2015
  • 1,117 Views, 42 Comments

Force, Torque and Fulcrum - Zap Apple Smash



Five earth ponies hatch a plan to get leverage on an ambitious private security contractor who seeks to blackmail an innocent stallion for his own ends. Because sometimes honest ponies make the best thieves.

  • ...
0
 42
 1,117

Let's go inspect a building

For all of Stone Wall’s delusions of grandeur, the Stone Wall Building itself was not particularly impressive by Manehatten standards. In fact, to its right was a fancy hotel at near equal height and to the left was an office complex that beat it by at least 10 stories, with small alley ways separating the buildings.

Across the street were various boutiques as well as a cafe. Heavy and Filthy sat at one of the outside tables, looking at the building. Filthy had traded his trademark tie and collar for a more practical but still rather stylish scarf. Heavy meanwhile, was wearing a jacket and a beanie, both to keep warm and not be as recognisable.

The stallions gave a brief thanks to the waitress who dropped two steaming mugs of hot cider at their table then focused their attention back towards the building. They had witnessed Stone Wall leaving the building but wanted to make sure he was gone before making their move.

“Well it’s 3 o’clock.” Filthy said as he checked the time on his pocket watch. “Stone Wall should be in a meeting right about now and Cheerilee should be making her move.”


“And is the key to your room Madam Julep.” The concierge said as he handed over the key. “Enjoy your stay here at the Shining Star Hotel.”

The purple mare, in an elaborate bustled dress and sun hat, took the key with a grateful smile.

“Why thank you, but please call me Mint. Most every everybody does.”


“I still can’t believe we’re doing this in broad daylight.” Heavy commented. “Wouldn’t the smart thing be to wait for nightfall?”

“I asked Cheerilee about that.” The business stallion replied. “She said something about the building being locked down and there not being enough time to plan a successful night heist.”


Mint Julep had reached the floor she was staying on. When she made it halfway down the hall she turned to the bellhop that had been carrying her suitcase.

“Would you be a dear and drop my luggage off in my room?” She said. “I had an awfully long trip and I feel a brief constitutional plus refreshments would do me wonders.”

“Certainly, ma’am.” The bellhop replied. “The hummingbird lounge is just two floors down if you’re interested.”

“Much obliged.”

She tossed the bellhop a bit and took her leave. But once she was out of sight, rather than taking the stairs down to the lounge, she took a service staircase to the roof.


“Now getting her a room in the hotel was easy enough. Though I’m still not sure how she will get her equipment to the roof without drawing attention.”

“First rule of smuggling.” Heavy replied. “Be creative.”


Safely on the roof and sure that she was alone, Cheerilee took off the hat and started to remove the dress.

“I do declare.” She said. “Now comes fun part.”

She took the dress completely off, revealing a black catsuit and harness underneath, complete with a fake blue tail.

Fully opened, the bustle of the dress revealed several lengths of rope, rigging, and other tools Cheerilee predicted she would need.

Once she was loaded up, she put on her black mask and got ready to get to work.

She made her way over to the ledge of building where the alleyway separated the hotel and the Stone Wall Building. She prepared a rope and grappling hook. She swung it around a couple of times and then let the grappling hook fly. When it landed on the other side, Cheerilee pulled back until it hooked tight on the opposite ledge. Once she was sure it was secured, she fastened the other end and made sure the line was taut.

She carefully began to shimmy across. Once safely on the Stone Wall building, she got to work securing the rig for the next part while she waited for the signal.


“So assuming Cheerilee makes it to the other side, what will we do if Notary can’t get past the main door?”

“Don’t worry. Big Mac has never been one to let ponies down and Cheerilee wouldn’t have asked Notary for help unless she could handle it.” Filthy said. “Those two will be fine.”


“Consarnit Notary!”

“I need an opening.” Notary said to Big Mac. “And I didn’t hear you give any ideas.”

Big Mac glared. “Couldn’t we at least have gotten a larger uniform? I can barely breathe in this thing.”

Notary rolled her eyes. “Just go in. I’ll wait two minutes then I’ll make my entrance.”


The receptionist sighed as she rechecked the schedule. It had the makings of another boring day.

"Um...excuse me."

The receptionist looked up from her desk and her jaw dropped. Standing in front of her was a postal worker that just so happened to be the most prime example of stallionhood she'd seen in real life. His uniform strained to contain his muscular form, his eyes a heart melting shade of green and he had such a warm and inviting smile.

"I've got a package for you." He stated.

"Oh I bet you do." She replied in a husky tone.

The stallion tilted his head slightly, "Excuse me?"

"I...I...mean of course you'd be here to deliver a package." She said, starting to feel sheepish.

The postal worker dropped the large mail bag she only now realised he had been carrying. He took out a parcel from the top and was about to hoof over when he took a second glance.

"That's not the right one." He commented, took a second parcel out. "Nope." and a third, "Nope." He let out a frustrated groan. "Give me moment."

He turned his back to the secretary and stuck his head in the mail back as he tried to find the right parcel, seemingly unaware that he was now giving the secretary a full view of his backside.

"Please. Take all the time you need." The entranced receptionist sighed.

At that moment a white mare in a suit with her mane in tight bun stepped into the lobby, carrying a brief case. She paused briefly at the reception desk.

“Miss Persnickety, here for the inspection.”

“Yes, yes fine.” The receptionist said, waving the mare off without taking her eye off the mail carrier’s backside.

The mare made it to the stairs where a couple of guards were standing, observing the comings and goings.

“Hold up.” A guard held up a hoof, blocking Miss Persnickety from progressing. “What inspection?

“Relax,.” Miss Persnickety replied coolly. “I’m not here for security personnel, I'm here for the SNJ.”

The Guard tilted his head slightly in confusion. “SNJ?”

“Yes the SNJ. I'm from the NPP. I got word from my VP that there was not only a breach of the FTR in this building but also the YTR, the WRP and the ASB. So now I've got the VTO, NPI and the TRW wanting answers. I need to run a TSB, a CDC, a TPW and a STP, and I've got to get this all done ASAP or else a major inquiry may be requested. Have I made myself clear?”

“Uh...yeah.” he stepped aside and let the mare past.

“Thank you.” she replied with a nod.

“Did you understand a word of what she just said?” a second guard asked the first.

“It’s above our pay grade.” the first guard replied. “Besides, front desk cleared her.”

Only once she was well past the guard and on her way up the stairs did a satisfied smirk appear on her face.

“Gullible SOB.” She muttered.


“It’s been two minutes.” Filthy said, checking his silver pocket watch. “Must mean Notary’s in.”

“Or that she and Big Mac have been caught out and they’re being detained for questioning.” Heavy commented.

Filthy raised an eyebrow as he closed the watch and pushed it towards the cartwright, “You never struck me as such a pessimist.”

“Not taking into account the possibility of things going wrong was how I ended up getting caught and facing jail time.”

“Though wasn’t that also how you ended up meeting your wife?”

Despite the situation, a faint smile appeared on Heavy’s face as he picked up the pocket watch.

“That is true.”

He picked up the closed watch and jiggled it, letting the sunlight bounce off the reflective surface.


The flash of light from the sun hitting the watch was the cue Cheerilee had been waiting for.

“Showtime.”

She then leapt off the Stone Wall Securities building roof on the alley side of the building. The rope that was tied to the harness she was wearing went taut but rather than stopping her descent, the rigging she had set up merely slowed it down.

She descended down the building until she finally came to a stop outside the designated window. Not being able to risk cutting the glass, she pulled out couple of specialist tools to jimmy the lock.

Once the lock was cracked she opened the window and then grabbed onto the window ledge with one hoof. After using the other hoof to unhook the rope she finished with a forward roll onto her back hooves.

Once secure in the office, she removed the mask and allowed herself to exhale.

“Mare alive am I out of practise,” she exclaimed. “I used to be able to pull that off in half the time.”

Any further thoughts was interrupted by three firm knocks on the door. Recognising it as the signal, Cheerilee opened it to reveal Notary standing there.

“I know that it’s somewhat late to bring this up but you do realise I could have simply picked the lock.” The form secretary commented as she entered the room.

“It would have left you exposed in the hallway.” Cheerilee replied as she closed the door. “And excuse me for not liking the idea of letting you handle this part of the mission with no back up."

“Fair enough.”

The two mares took a moment to survey the office. It became clear that what Stone Wall lacked in basic decency he did not make up for in taste.

The office itself was a decent size and had a large front window looking out at the street which, along with the small side window, allowed for ventilation. A classic looking Mahogany desk the size of a hay wagon was in the center of the room with a bust of Stone Wall’s head one on side of it. Various pictures of Stone Wall’s ‘exploits’ and a display case of antique looking war medals adorned the walls, as well as some undoubtedly expensive postmodern paintings that clashed with everything else in the room.

“Wow, this place is even gaudier than Filthy described it.”

“Eh,” Notary shrugged. “I’ve raided worse looking offices.”

They began to search the office. Cheerilee busied herself with the bookshelf but Notary started her search with the desk. After giving the paper on the desk a once over, she studied the desk itself. She opened a panel to reveal a hidden safe.

“Desk safe, really?” Notary said in dismay. “So he’s not only a jerk, he’s also unimaginative. Are we meant to hate this guy or feel sorry for him?”

“Let’s just focus on getting some leverage on him.”

Notary placed her ear against the safe and turned the dial as she listened the for the right clicks of the tumblers. Finally satisfied, she turned the lever and flung open the safe door. From the safe she was able to retrieve several files and a black notebook. She opened the notebook to reveal a some names and locations as well as a series of numbers and letters.

“Any idea what that code means?” The school teacher asked.

“Not sure.” Notary replied. “But it seems familiar.”

“Memorise what you can. We can’t take any of this with us.”

“Oh give me little credit.” Notary opened her briefcase to reveal a large stack of blank paper, a bottle of ink and and a brush. “This isn’t exactly new territory for me.”

She placed the first sheet of paper from the file on the desk. She then placed a blank page on top. Finally, using the brush, she applied a thin layer of ink. The ink then moved on its own volition until the page looked exactly like the one underneath.

“That’s incredible.” Cheerilee stated.

“That’s mimic ink.” Notary stated proudly. “The best friend a mare like me can have.”

Cheerilee looked at her.

“Well... second best.” Notary hastily amended

She then got to work copying the rest of the documents. Meanwhile, Cheerilee did a final sweep of the room before finding a vantage point looking out the big window.

“So far so good,” Cheerilee muttered to herself.


“It’s in here I swear.” The mail stallion said as he continued to search the bag. By this point several packages were scattered on the floor around him.

“Of course.” The enraptured receptionist said, trying hard to not to let out a content sigh.

“What’s going on here?”

The both receptionist and the mail pony jumped slightly when they realised that Load Bearing had entered the lobby.

“I asked you a question.” He stated somewhat irritably.

“Just delivering a package.” The postal worker replied.

“And where is it?”

“In here.” The mail pony replied. “It must have shifted in transit.”

Load Bearing gave the mail stallion a suspicious once over.

“Well I suggest you go and finish the rest of your deliveries and come back when you find the package again.” He said. “Instead of standing here making a nuisance of yourself.”

“Understood.” The mail pony said. He then got to work collecting the parcels that had been scattered from his hunt.

The receptionist glared at Load Bearing.

“Kill joy.”

“Just be glad I’m the one who found you and not Stone Wall.” The unicorn replied, not looking the least bit amused “His meeting got cut short and he’s on his way back so try to look like you’re actually doing something.”

The mail stallion’s eye’s widened and he made quick work of gathering the remaining packages. He then loaded up the mail bag and took his leave.

“Hold up.”

He turned and saw the unicorn approach him again. The stallions stared at each other until Load Bearing levitated an application form to him.

“In case you’re wanting a career change.” He stated. “We’re always looking for new talent and you certainly have the build for private security.”

“Uh...Thanks.”

The mail stallion pocketed the form and took his leave.


As Big Mac stepped out of the building, he made a cutting motion with his hoof across his throat.

The gesture did not go unnoticed by the two stallions in the cafe. Filthy took out a white handkerchief and used it to wipe his brow.


"White hankie." Cheerilee stated. "Filthy is telling us to get out."

"Why? Is Stone Wall back?"

"It's a hankie, not Horse code." The teacher said flatly. "We've got to get out of here."

"Not yet." Notary said. "I'm almost done."

"Getting caught is not going to help anypony."

"Neither will running with only part of the intel! This is the only chance we'll have at this."

Cheerilee grit her teeth but knew that Notary had a point. "Finish quickly."

"Gee, and here I thought I'd take the time to redo Stone Wall's filing system while I'm here." Notary paused as she realised something. "Of course!"

"Stay on track."

Notary continued to made quick work of the remaining documents. Cheerilee meanwhile stood watch at the door.

“Done!” Notary stated as she packed everything back into the safe.

“Good to hear. Now I’m going to create an opening for you. We’ll meet back up at Filthy’s loft.”

“Wait…what?”

“The window for a clean exit has closed.” Cheerilee said as she put her mask back on. “Now it’s time for a messy one.”

She stepped out off the office and closed the door behind her. She inspected the various stands and then noticed a jewel encrusted broadsword in a glass case.

“That looks expensive.”

She smashed the glass with her hoof. She then took the sword by hilt with her mouth and waited for moment.

As expected, the sound of broken glass had alerted the patrolling guards. A three stallion patrol came to investigate and saw Cheerilee standing there holding the sword.

“What the…?”

At that, Cheerilee turned tail and ran. One of the guards had opened fire with his wrist mounted crossbow but his delayed response meant that the bolts ended up hitting the wall near where Cheerilee had been standing rather than the mare.

Two of the guards gave chase while third ran off to raise the alarm.

Cheerilee made it to the staircase and started her climb up. Meanwhile, Load Bearing arrived on the floor just as the guards reached the staircase.

“What’s going on?” He called out.

“THIEF ON THE PREMISES!” A guard shouted back.

Load Bearing’s eyes narrowed.


Cheerilee made it up two flights of stairs. Seeing a second group of guards coming down the stairwell, she took a quick turn and went out into the hallway.

As the pursuing guards made it to the hallway, one guard readied his crossbow and lined up his shot. He was about to fire when the crossbow was engulfed in magic and pulled out of his grasp.

“We’re on civilian floors.” Load Bearing stated, holding the crossbow. “NO PROJECTILE WEAPONS!!”

The disarmed guard glared but knew better than to argue. They all then continued their pursuit.

Cheerilee made a few sharp turns and tried to keep to narrow hallways in order to make following her more difficult. As she approached the second stairwell, a mare pushing a mail cart crossed her path.

Rather than slow down, the teacher jumped over the mail cart. She paid no heed to the loud crash and shriek behind her as she continued her ascent.

Finally she made it to the roof within 15 second window before the guards got there. She raced to the edge, dropping the sword as she disconnected the rigging that she had used for her descent, letting it and the rope drop down into the alley below.

She then loosened the rope she had shimmied across from the grappling hook.

At that moment the guards arrived at the roof, led by Load Bearing.

“DON’T MOVE!” The unicorn ordered, lighting up his horn in warning.

Rather than listen, Cheerilee picked up the sword and flung it straight at Load Bearing. On instinct, he caught the sword with his magic, breaking his intended spell, and giving her the opening she needed to jump.

The guards reached the edge in time to see Cheerilee swing across on the rope, right into an open window of one of the hotel rooms.

Load Bearing growled then turn to the rest of the guards. “You,” he said to three of the guards. “Get over there and secure the lobby. The rest, get all available personnel. We need to lock down the building and make sure nothing else was stolen. AND WHERE IS THAT DAMN PEGASUS SUPPORT?!!”

Secure in the room and safely out of sight, Cheerilee was dusting herself off and thanking her lucky stars that there had been an open window.

She then paused when she saw the cleaning mare standing there.

“No need for alarm ma’am, I’m with pest control.” Cheerilee said, breaking the awkward silence. “There were reports about some incredibly aggressive pigeons causing trouble on the upper floors and I’ve just finished handling the situation.”

“Why are you wearing a mask?” The cleaner asked.

“For the sake of the guests.” Cheerilee explained. “I took a rabid gopher to the face first week on the job and the boss thinks the scars are off-putting.”

The cleaner, not having anything to say to that, decided to get back to work.

Cheerilee stepped into the hallway and stripped out of her outfit. As she made her exit she dropped her outfit and the remaining equipment down a nearby laundry chute.


Now, ponies that lounge in the lobby of the Shining Star Hotel are usually treated to wonderful decor, either the spectacular chandelier or the often colourful guests that come and go.

Today, however, the loungers were treated to the site of the hotel manager having a standoff with three Stone Wall Securities employees, barring their entrance into the rest of the hotel.

“I’m telling you that a blue tailed thief is hiding in your hotel!” The lead guard said.

“And I’m telling you that unless you’re the guard I will not have you disturbing the guests.” The manager shot back.

The two arguing stallions paid no heed to the magenta mare making her exit.

As she stepped out of the hotel she looked to her right and saw a white mare carrying a briefcase step out of the Stone Wall Securities building.

Cheerilee gave Notary a brief smile and nod that the white mare returned before the two took their separate routes back to home base.

Heavy let out a sigh of relief from his vantage point.

"What did I tell you," Filthy said in his usual confidence. "Nothing to worry about."

He then picked up his mug and took a sip.

“Bargh!” He exclaimed. “It’s cold.”


“I give you the fruits of our mission.” Notary said as she presented the files and stacks of paper on the table.

Cheerilee looked over the stacks.

“This is a lot more than what Stone Wall was carrying in his office.”

Notary rubbed the back of her neck. “Well you see. I may have made one last stop on the way out.”


Notary was walking at a brisk pace. Not fast enough to draw attention but in no way what you would consider dawdling.

She stopped when she realised the door she had walked past. She turned and confirmed her previous glance.

File Room

She made sure she was alone and then stepped inside, only to come face to face with one of the clerks.

“What are you doing here?” The clerk asked.

“One of the guards has been filing CW5s instead of CW4s.” Notary explained. ”so now my supervisor wants it fixed before next audit.”
“Dumb muscle heads making it difficult for the rest of us.” clerk grumbled before leaving the file room.”


“I realised those codes in the ledger were referring to a filing system. He must have kept notes so he could remember which were the relevant files.” Notary said. “I didn’t have time to make copies of those files so hopefully no one will notice they’re missing until we’re finished with our little pet project.”

“Well, this had better be a bumper crop.” Big Mac commented as he poured cider into a mug. “Cause I doubt we’ll get another shot at that building.”

“Well, I still need to go over all of it but I believe in positivity.” The white mare answered.

“Since when?” Cheerilee asked.

“Since this plan of ours hasn’t yet gone down in flames.” Notary replied.

Heavy Roller started to skim through the personnel files. He paused when he noticed a familiar face.

“I remember him.” He stated as he held up a picture of Load Bearing. “He came with Stone Wall when he visited me in Ponyville.”

“Oh yes, Mr Load Bearing. He seems to be Stone Wall’s go-to stallion.” Filthy said. “You know he actually told me he got that scar fighting a moose.”

Big Mac glanced at the photo. “He’s lying.”

“Of course, that sounded far too…”

“Moose horns aren’t sharp enough to make clean scarring like that.” Big Mac continued. “Most likely he got that taking on a griffin.” He then noticed a Filthy gaping at him. “It’s a very distinctive scar.”

Notary scoffed as she snatched the photo. “Oh you are so…” she stopped when she saw the stallion in the picture.

“What?” Cheerilee noticed the change in Notary’s demeanor. “Do you know him?”

“Yes.” Notary admitted. “Though when we worked together, he just went by ‘Bear’.”

“You worked together?” Filthy asked in dismay.

“You could have warned us that we might meet some of your old work colleagues.” The red stallion made no effort to hide the irritation in his voice.

“Hey, I didn’t know he would be here.” Notary replied, not raising her voice but clearly being irritated. “And when you’ve put more on the line for this mission than just shaking your flank at a receptionist then you’ll have a right to criticise.”

Cheerilee stepped in between the two.

“Enough! Notary, is this going to be a problem?”

“No.” The white mare replied.

“Then we move on and focus on the task in front of us.” Cheerilee chose to ignore the skeptical look she was getting from Big Mac. “Somewhere in these files is something that we can use against Stone Wall, we just need to find it.”


“So the thief didn’t get away with anything?” Stone Wall asked as he paced in his office after being filled in on the events that had transpired.

“We would need to do a full inventory check but all the high profile items are accounted for.” Load Bearing responded. “Still, even if this break in was thwarted it did highlight some flaws in the security that should be addressed.”

“Yes, once the show is over I want a full investigation done. In the meantime I need you to ensure that the security at the theatre is flawless.”

“Um sir, wouldn’t it make more sense start a full investigation right now?” The unicorn asked. “The show…”

“Is a high profile event that is being attended by high profile socialites, nobles and dignitaries.” Stone Wall interjected. “Everything is riding on that evenings success. Do I make myself clear?”

“Perfectly, sir.”

Satisfied with the response, the pegasus turned to the window. “Good. Skewed priorities can ruin a pony. Remember that.”

“Understood.”

The unicorn left, closing the door behind him. Certain he was alone, Stone Wall opened his safe to make sure that the contents were untouched.

The near loss of one of his possessions was irksome but at least he was sure the thief hadn’t stolen anything that could be used against him.


“What do you mean you haven’t found anything?!”

Notary looked at Filthy irritably. “I said I haven’t found anything yet. If there’s something in here we can use, I’ll find it.”

“What about the boatload of intel he has on the Royal Guard, his competitors and on his own staff?” Heavy asked. “You can’t tell me that this amount is legal.”

“Having intel only makes it blackmail worthy if it proves intent for something more sinister.” Notary countered. “Even if this drew the attention of the authorities he would explain it away as trying to gain insight into his main competitors. At worst he’d be fined for overstepping the bounds of ethical information gathering.What we need is a lit match we can burn him with.”

Big Mac picked up one of the ledgers Notary had swiped from the filing room. He gave it look through.

“What’s this?”

“It’s the ledger detailing the transactions between Stone Wall Securities and Stronghold Construction & Architecture.”

Big Mac lowered the ledger. “Did you say Stronghold Construction & Architecture?”

“Exactly.” Notary laid out the paperwork supporting her point. “Looks like they had purchased most of the resources from Stone Walls old construction company when he decided on a career change. He also seemed to hire them for later construction jobs. The numbers look legit but I would have to check them against Stone Wall’s stated earnings.”

Big Mac let out a groan. “Crab apples.”

“What?” Heavy asked.

“Stronghold Construction & Architecture is, or at least was, a front for the Cannoli Crime Family.” Big Mac answered. “They used to be one of the biggest crime families in Manehatten. But then one of their lieutenants got caught in a botched foalnapping attempt. Rather than face the full wrath of the Princess, who really does not like ponies that mess with foals, he turned in state's evidence on his employer.”

“I read about this.” Filthy Rich chimed in. “The head of the family, Spumoni Cannoli, was charged along with a lot of high ranking members of the family and most of his operation was dismantled.”

“Most but not all.” The red stallion commented. “Somehow Spumoni managed to keep his two sons out of the fallout. They’re trying to keep whatever’s left of the family afloat.”

“Hold on.” Notary rummaged through her bag until she found a particular file. “Here we are. Sweets and Gelato Cannoli. Sweets has a few fraud charges but no convictions. Gelato, however, has a warrant for his arrest on assault charges as well as an open bounty on him. They’re run of the mill scumbags, neither one of them really have what it takes to effectively run a crime family.”

Big Mac looked at the file with a raised eyebrow. “You brought files on the local crime families just in case?”

Notary shrugged. “I like to be informed on possible threats. Though how do you know so much about a Manehatten crime family?”

The farm pony gave a shrug of his own.

“Our paths have crossed a few times.”


A young unicorn filly was running for dear life. She came to an abrupt stop when a grey stallion stomped down on her tail, preventing her from running any further.

"Listen you little bruja, give me one good reason why I shouldn't snap that horn off."

"Ahem."

The stallion looked up from the filly and came face to face with an extremely angry Big Macintosh.

"I got one."

Any reply the grey stallion was going to give was stopped by a hoof straight to his face.


“Wait.” Cheerilee interjected. “You mean they…?”

“Eeyup.”

A low growl escaped the teacher.

“Go on.” She finally said through grit teeth.


“I don’t think this is a good idea,” A thug said.

“Quit your complaining.” The leader replied. “It’s not safe for us to store this stuff in Manehatten no more. We just need to lay low here for a few more days until the boss finds a new base of operations.”

A third thug flew in. “We may have a problem. Turns out those farmers you threatened to keep quiet has some of their extended family coming in to visit.”

The leader scoffed. “I think we can handle a few inbred hicks.”

“That’s good.”

The thugs turned to see Big Mac, Applejack and a dozen other members of the Apple Family standing there.

“Wouldn’t want this to be too easy.” Applejack commented.

“Eeyup.”


“I figured it was a good idea to get to know them better.”

“I don’t get it.” Cheerilee said. “If the Cannoli family is on the ropes, why doesn’t one of the other crime families simply finish them of?”

“Pragmatism.” Heavy answered. “Mob wars are messy, cost resources and draw unwanted attention from the authorities, even when it’s against a weakened family. Right now the Cannoli Family is like a wounded puppy. The other families are probably waiting to see if they have any teeth left to make them worth taking down while they’re weak. Otherwise they'll just leave the family to die a slow death.”

The cartwright noticed the other ponies staring at him.

“What? I may not have been part of a crime family during my smuggling days but they were still some of my best customers.”

“Alright. So right now the only potential leverage we have on Stone Wall is some past or present connection to the Cannoli Family.” Cheerilee surmised. “That could work. Being tied to organised crime is a death sentence to any Security Company. The question is how do we find out what that connection is?”

“We could ask them.” Heavy noticed the other ponies staring at him again. “What?”