• Published 25th Feb 2014
  • 334 Views, 4 Comments

The Past Is Never Really Forgotten - TrojanHorseWhisperer



Beany was an average Pegasus living a simple life. One day, she meets a unicorn named Miles who will change her life forever. Though she finds he holds a big secret. What has she dragged herself into?

  • ...
10
 4
 334

Chapter XIII: All Is Revealed

About three days passed as Miles was nursed back to health by the royal doctors. In all that time, Beany never left his bedside.

Miles finally woke up, and the first thing he saw was Beany, smiling sweetly at him.

After a lot of food consumption and plenty of rest, Miles went into the throne room to confront the four princesses.

He was accompanied by the mane six, Bass, Beany and Starlight. They all sat in front of the princesses except for Miles who joined the four on the raised throne platform.

“Ask your questions. I know you have many.” Celestia said calmly.

“Who the hay is this colt and why did you cry when we thought he was dead?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Miles looked across at Luna and Celestia.

“Miles is our brother. His name isn’t really Miles either, it’s ‘Virtuous Gauntlet’. He left a long time ago. It was after… well…” Celestia began to trail off.

“…After I banished King Sombra from this place.” Miles finished.

The ponies were all confused. Twilight spoke up; “But, you said that you and Luna banished Sombra.”
Celestia looked down at the floor. “We were still reasonably new rulers back then. We needed ponies to believe we had done it so they thought we were good leaders. We took the credit for it before Gauntlet could say anything. That’s why he left.”

“I saw reason with their logic, even though I didn’t agree. I left because then no one could know the truth.” Miles said begrudgingly. “I assumed a new identity every 50 years or so until now. I have travelled to every inch of this world and seen things you can only imagine.”

“Why do you have the Alicorn amulet as a cutie mark? And who was that mare?” Rarity asked.

“Actually, I created the amulet to give to my protégé. It released my power slowly as not to overwhelm them. It turned out however, that it corrupted any who wore it. I hid it far from Equestria. The mare was called Virtuous Shield. She was supposed to be my successor. When she heard of the amulet, she went looking for it. She found it and when she returned, she was beyond saving. She called herself Dark Shield and tried to usurp the throne. Back then, she didn’t understand how to use the power, and I was able to banish her to a place called ‘The Dark Zone’”

“Wait a minute, you just said you left Equestria.” Dash said.

“This was before Sombra. It was almost 200 years before then. In fact, back then, Sombra was fair. He was a good stallion. However, he got a hold of the amulet after Shield had taken its power, corrupting him to the core.” Miles replied.
Miles looked at Twilight and Cadence with confusion. “Speaking of questions, why are they princesses? They’re not natural born Alicorns.”

“What th… How can you tell?” Twilight asked

“Oh please, it’s obvious.” Replied Miles

“Twilight is my protégé. She is to replace me if something bad happens.” Celestia answered Miles.

“What about the pink one? Cadence was it?”

“Well, initially, she was going to be my protégé, but then the Crystal Empire returned.” Luna said.

“Ah. Well, I congratulate you both. It is a prestigious honour you have been bestowed with.” Miles said proudly.

“Thank you.” Cadence and Twilight answered.

Questions were exchanged a little more before Miles declared that he was leaving again.

“What? But you have just got here.” Cadence said, startled.

“No. I can’t stay. This is no longer my place. I was the ruling prince once, but no more. My sisters are doing a fine job. I mean Equestria isn’t as big as it once was, but it’s still prosperous and peaceful for the most part.” Miles explained.

Miles walked to the throne room doors, wishing good luck to both Cadence and Twilight. He bid farewell to the rest of the mane six,
and requested that they look after Cadence and Twilight. He approached Starlight and Bass.

“I felt the energy you two created the other day. You are powerful together. Stay in Canterlot. Protect my sisters.”

The two nodded as Miles continued walking out of the door. He walked right by Beany, without a single word. Tears began to fill Beany’s eyes as Miles rounded the corner and out of sight. A flash and the sound of magic could be heard. Beany was about to turn around and go home, when the pony Miles poked his head around the door.

“Well? C’mon then Beany. We’ve got places to go.” He said with a big grin on his face.

Beany flew straight for him and hugged him tightly.

As she did, a slight flash came from her flank. She and Miles looked and it was a cutie mark. Beany was about to cry with joy, then looked at it closer. It was a blank shield, crossed into four sections, like a coat of arms. Miles grinned. Beany looked at him with confusion.

“I’ll explain that on the way.” He said, as they trotted out of the palace.

“On the way to where?” Beany asked.

“Anywhere we want Beany. Anywhere we want.” The two grinned at each other as they disappeared in a flash of light.

Celestia and Luna watched them from the balcony and smiled.