• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 2,420 Views, 87 Comments

Have you seen my Mommy? - RainbowShyBrony



Scootaloo travles across Equestria with Princess Twilight Sparkle in search of her long lost mother, who may be closer to them than they think.

  • ...
4
 87
 2,420

Chapter 1

It was late into Luna's night, a young, hooded mare was walking down a dimly lit sidewalk towards the Ponyville Orphanage, carrying a small basket. She walked up to the front door of the orphanage and placed the basket down looking into it. "I'm sorry. I'm SO sorry Scootaloo." She whispered with tear-filled eyes to a small orange foal wrapped-up inside the basket. The young foal was asleep. The young mare looked at the front door to the orphanage and knocked it.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

She leaned back down to the foal and placed a loving kiss on her forehead. "I love you Scootaloo." The young mare then quickly ran away, crying from the pain of leaving her child.

Then the door opened. A brown mare with a light blue mane stuck her head out the door and had a look around. "Hello? Is anypony out here?!" Finally, she looked down and found a small orange foal. "Oh. Now what do we have hear?" She noticed a letter lying on top of the foal. She picked up the letter, noticing tear stains on it, and began to read it. It read:

To whoever it may concern,

This is my daughter Scootaloo. Please take good care of her and make sure she gets into a home she deserves. I would never be able to give her that. I love her to much to make her suffer with me. When she gets older, tell her that I am sorry and that I love her.

Sighed, with pain and tears forever,
Scootaloo's loving mother.

P.S. Her birth day is June 11 of this year. I just thought she should be able to celebrate her real birthday if she wanted to.

"So your name is Scootaloo." She said, picking up the basket. "Come now. Let's get you inside." The brown mare walked back into the orphanage and closed the door behind her.

--------------------------

7 years later

It was Mother's Day in Equestria and all the little fillies and colts were spending the day with their moms. All except for the few that live in the Ponyville Orphanage.

Scootaloo was amongst these few. And for the past few years, she has spent the last few Mother's Days sitting on her bed, staring out the window and watching all the other ponies her age playing with their moms. This year was no different. She was in her usual spot, on her bed and watching everyone pass by. She let out a sigh.

Just then, a brown mare with a light blue mane, wearing her saddle bag, came into the room and walked towards the saddened filly. "Scootaloo? Is everything alright?"

"Oh! Uh... H-Hello Ms. Foster! Um, yeah. Everything's great! Couldn't be better." She said, obviously hiding something.

"Scootaloo, you've been sitting on your bed every Mother's Day for the past few years. What's wrong?" She asked, concern about the young filly.

"Why did she leave me?" She said in a saddened tone.

"Why did who leave you?"

"My mom! Why did my mom abandon me like this?"

Ms. Foster paused for a moment. Hesitant to say anything she might regret later. Then a thought acquired to her. 'I think she's ready.' She cleared her throat to get the filly's attention. "Scootaloo. I think it's about time I showed you something. Could you please come with me?" Scootaloo hopped off of her bed and followed Ms. Foster out of the room.

--------------------

Ms. Foster rummaged through her old letters and files as Scootaloo spun herself in an office chair. "Ah-ha! Here it is!" said Ms. Foster as she held up an old looking piece of paper.

Scootaloo stared at it blankly and confused. "What is it?"

"This was with you the day I found you." She hoofed Scootaloo the piece of paper.

Scootaloo took the paper noticing that it was a letter and began to read it. She couldn't believe what she read. "S-She... She loves me?" By now the young filly's eyes were watery and her hooves were trembling.

"She did. And most likely still does." She replied.

Scootaloo couldn't believe any of this was happening. First she found out why her mother left her and now Ms. Foster was telling her that there may be a chance that her mother still loved her. This gave Scootaloo an outstanding idea. "Ms. Foster? Do you mind if I keep this?" She asked unable to take her eyes off the paper.

"Of course you can. I think she would want you to keep it." Replied Ms. Foster.

Scootaloo quickly jumped off of the office chair and ran to her room. "Thank you, Ms. Foster!" When she got to her room she grabbed her saddle bag, stuffed the letter inside, put it on, grab her scooter and ran off.

----------------

"Rainbow Dash! Rainbow DASH!!!" Scootaloo called up to said pony's cloud house.

A cyan head with a rainbow mane looked over the edge to see who was calling her. "Oh! Hey Scoots'! Hold on! I'll be right down!" Rainbow replied before jumping off the edge of the cloud and gliding all the way down. "What's up?"

"Hey Rainbow Dash. Am I glad you're home." Said Scootaloo relived. "I thought you might have been off doing some mopey stuff with your mom somewhere."

"Me? With my mom? I haven't even seen her in years. Why? What's up?" Asked the rainbow maned, self-proclaimed super star.

"I need your help to find my mom." Scootaloo was quick to reply.

"You’re what?"

"Look!" Scootaloo pulled out the letter from her saddle bag to show Rainbow Dash. "See? My mom wrote that when I was just a foal! She even said that she loved me! And Ms. Foster said that she STILL loves me! So will ya help me? Will ya? Will ya? Will ya?"

Rainbow quickly read the paper and blankly replied, "I'm sorry squirt, but I can't. I wouldn't even know where to start."

"But... But... You're Rainbow Dash! You can do anything!"

"Scoots, I like the complements, but I can't do everything. Besides, even if I knew how to find her, I'm just too busy. This new weather schedule has everypony working super hard." Said Rainbow trying to cheer Scootaloo up.

"Oh... Okay. Well, thanks anyways Rainbow Dash." She said starting to sadly ride her scooter back into PonyVille.

"I'm so sorry Scootaloo. I'm so, so sorry. But if I told you who your mother was, you'd never forgive me." Scootaloo was already out of earshot and wasn't able to hear that.

------------------

Scootaloo was riding her scooter all over town, not wanting to stop for anything or look at anyone. She just kept on riding, looking only at her handle bars as her withdrawn tears blurred her vision.

Then she came to a sudden, unexpected stop. Scootaloo tried to push her scooter forward, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't budge it from it's position. Finally, the scooter started to move , but it was moving sideways.

When her scooter stopped again, Scootaloo found herself in front of the princess ,Twilight Sparkle. She had managed to pull Scootaloo and her scooter all the way to Golden Oaks Library. "Scootaloo, are you alright?" Scootaloo didn't answer. "Did something happen?" Still no answer. Then Twilight noticed a piece of paper sticking out of Scootaloo's saddle bag. Curious as to what it might be, she pulled it out of the bag and held it up in her magic. "Does it have anything to do with this?" Scootaloo nodded slightly. "Do you mind if I read it?" Scootaloo nodded again.

Twilight read the letter and became more and more curious as she read. Then it dawned on her. "Is it your mom? Is that what's wrong?" Again Scootaloo nodded, not speaking a single word. "Are you trying to find her?" Scootaloo nodded once more. "Did you ask Rainbow Dash to help you? I know how close you two have grown together sense that camping trip you girls took with your friends, Applejack and Rarity." Scootaloo began to cry at the mention of her hero. Tears made their way dow her face and Twilight, not wanting of anyone else seeing Scootaloo so distressed, pulled Scootaloo inside to the privacy of the library.

She closed the door and pulled Scootaloo into a comforting hug as she rubbed her back to calm her down. "Shh. It's okay Scootaloo. It's okay. Just tell me what happened."

Scootaloo was unable to stop crying but it had slowed down enough for her to speak. "Sh-She...she won't help me." Scootaloo's sobbing went back to how it was before. Tears racing down her face.

Twilight remained pondering about this and only saw one solution. "Scootaloo, what if I helped you find your mother?"

Scootaloo's crying nearly subsided turning into a more hopeful expression. "Y-You'd do that for me?"

"Sure. You ARE the "sister" of one of my friend. I don't see why I shouldn't help you out. Plus, I think I'd be a bigger help then Rainbow Dash could have been." Twilight answered as a grin began to etch itself onto her face.

"Oh, thank you, Twilight! Thank you!" Scootaloo, having all her sadness but not all her tears disappear, hugged Twilight as hard as she could. "So... where do we start?"

Twilight took a quick second to think before answering. "The Royal Library in Canterlot."

"Canterlot? Why there?"

"I want to have a look at your records. The ones from BEFORE the orphanage." Replied the Princess with a smile on her face.

"Are you sure I can go all the way to Canterlot with you?" Scootaloo asked with major concern.

"I'm a Princess. I can take you basically anywhere." Twilight replied in a matter-of-fact manner.

"Oh. Alright then, let's go!" Scootaloo said heading for the front door. Twilight followed her to said door and quickly told Spike that he was in charge until she came back before leaving.

"So, are you gonna use some of your magic to take us there?" Scootaloo asked once they both were outside.

Twilight began walking forward. "Actually, we're going to take the train. Canterlot is to far for my teleportation spell and I still haven't gotten use to flying yet. But at least we can still use the train."

"Oh. O-okay." Said Scootaloo, embarrassed of her over excitement.

"Plus I get Princess Privileges."

"What are 'Princess priva... Privo... Privi...?"

"Privileges. Well, I never have to wait for a train to come, I can get a private car, free room service and I can ride it whenever and wherever I want as many times as I want." Said Twilight starting to get a smug look on her face.

"How far do we have to go?" Scootaloo asked.

"I have a feeling that we're going to be at this for a while" Twilight replied looking forward.

--------------------

When Twilight and Scootaloo arrived at the train station, they walked over to the ticket window and picked up some exclusive passes for the both of them. "It's so shiny!" Said an excited Scootaloo.

"Think about how many ponies actually used one of these." Replied Twilight.

"Oh." Said Scootaloo sheepishly, embarrassed of her statement.

Twilight giggled. "Come now. Let's get on the train before everypony gets impatient." Twilight led Scootaloo into the private passenger car.

The car looked small from the outside, but when she walked in, Scootaloo was able to see how much space the train car actually had. She couldn't help but look around in amazement. The walls were very clean and they were a seemingly majestic and royal shade for stained wood. She noticed the curtains were a sparkling, silky smooth crimson that seemed to wave in the sunlight itself. Then she felt something soft at her hooves. She looked down to find a carpet which matched the curtains yet not as sparkly. Instead of it waving in the sun's light, it looked as if small rippling waves were traveling across the whole car. Near the far wall from where they were standing were a couple of red leathered seats that sparkled from the sunlight shining through the curtains. Between the seats was a table covered in a silky, snow white sheet. The whole car seemed to flow together to Scootaloo.

"Is there anything you would like, Madam?" Scootaloo's thoughts were interrupted by a stallion earth pony, wearing a tuxedo, standing by the door waiting patiently for an answer.

Scootaloo, in disbelief, looked behind her to make sure he wasn't talking to Twilight. However, it had seemed that Twilight had already found her way to one of the seats. Scootaloo turned back to the stallion, still not believing that he was addressing HER. "U-uhh... Um." Scootaloo's intangible speech was interrupted by the growling of her stomach. "C-can I get some... Uh... Hey. What kind of food DO you have here?"

"Shall I bring you a menu?" Replied the stallion using a question of his own.

"Yeah. Thanks."

"It is my pleasure, Madam." He said as he made his way to the door.

When he had gone through it, Scootaloo walked to her own seat. "Who was that guy?" Scootaloo questioned the violet alicorn.

"He's our waiter... butler… thingy. I don't, honestly, know either. He basically does whatever we ask him to." Replied Twilight, shrugging as she spoke at some parts.

"Here is your menu, Madam." Said the stallion appearing out of seemingly nowhere, hoofing Scootaloo her menu. "Would you like your menu as well, your Majesty?" He offered Twilight her menu as he bowed his respects to her.

"Yes. I do. Thank you kind sir." Replied Twilight picking up her menu with her magic. She opened up her menu and searched through it. "Let's see. Ooh! May I have the daisy salad with a glass of violet wine?"

"Of course. And for you, Madam?" He asked looking at Scootaloo.

"Uh, can I get the hay-bacon, rose peddle burger and some hay fries? Ooh! And can I get some apple cider to drink?!" Scootaloo asked a little too excitedly.

"...Extra virgin apple cider." Added Twilight enforcing the law against under-aged drinking.

"Of course. Your orders should be right out." He replied before walking back to the door he walked to earlier.

"What was that about?" Asked Twilight, a hint of anger in her voice.

"What was what about?" Asked an oblivious Scootaloo.

"You can't just order apple cider like that! You're WAAAY to young to be drinking that." Twilight lectured.

"But Rainbow Dash drinks it all the time." Retorted Scootaloo.

"Rainbow is 23 years old! You're only 7." Argued Twilight.

"WHAT?! You mean I have to wait 'til I'm 23 to drink NORMAL apple cider? Man, what a rip!" Scootaloo pouted really disliking the drinking age limit.

"Hey, at least I'm letting you drink some." Retorted Twilight. But it was in vain. Scootaloo was already staring out the window deep in thought. Somehow, the train was already moving. Neither of them had even felt the train start moving, let alone get this far.

Scootaloo just remained staring at green blurs she identified as trees. "You think my mom drinks cider." Asked a glum Scootaloo.

Twilight paused for a second before answering. "I don't know. It's surely a possibility. Many ponies drink cider so I wouldn't be surprised."

"What do you think she's like?"

Twilight blinked before she began to lightly laugh. "I'm sorry. It sounded like you asked me what kind of mare do I think she is."

This made Scootaloo confused. "But, I did ask you that."

Twilight's laughter seised. "Oh. I was hoping you weren't." She said more so that only she herself could hear it. "Well, if she's anything like you and if the letter told us anything about her personality, I think she's a very sweet mare with a few small problems. Then again who doesn't have problems?"

"What do you mean a few problems?" Scootaloo began to panic slightly.

"Woah. Calm down there Scootaloo. I only meant that she might have a bit of a money complex."

Calming down a little and a bit confused she asked, "A money what?"

"A money problem." The Princess simplified. "From what it says in the letter she would have very much raised you but she was barely making enough money to support herself. She wouldn't have been able to support both you and her. And even if she did then that would mean she would have to leave you at home to do her job and she definitely couldn't afford a babysitter to watch you while she was gone."

Scootaloo just became more disheartened the more Twilight spoke of her mother's major problem. "O-Oh. I didn't think of it like that."

Twilight noticed Scootaloo's sad look and attempted to cheer her up. "B-but hey, a lot of time has passed sense then. Maybe she was able to find a better paying job and get out of that problem. Like Rainbow Dash did when she first moved to Ponyville."

"Rainbow Dash had money problems?!" Scootaloo way shocked. She had never heard that her all-time hero had money problems.

"Well, yes. From what she told me she use to work in one of the restaurants as everyponies' clean-up crew. She never told me which restaurant it was but to say the least, she was very much under paid. But eventually, she got hired as a weather pony for Ponyville, she quite her job at the restaurant and she's been working as a weather pony ever sense. Well, except that now she's the captain of the weather team but you already knew that."

After hearing the story, Scootaloo was beyond her look of shock and instead began to feel a little bit guilty for asking her to help her find her mother. Rainbow worked hard to get where she was at and Scootaloo wanted her to potentially risk that just to help her. "Wow. I-I didn't know any of that. Well, except for the end. But... wow. I hope my mom was able to do the same."

After Scootaloo made that last remark an idea apeared into Twilight's head. "Oh! But if she wasn't there just might be a way I'd be able to help her."

"Really?! How?!" Scootaloo asked in a surprised manor.

"Well, I could help her one of two ways. The first one would be to provide her with government aid, you know, when our government helps the less fortunate by giving them stuff like food stamps and other stuff. That one might not help much but every little bit counts. The second way would be for me to help her get a new job by probably getting her a job at the castle or writing a letter of recommendation. Imagine how good a letter of recommendation from a Princess sounds."

A smile began to cross Scootaloo's face. "Could you really do that?!"

Twilight just smiled back. "If she is a good pony, then I'll help her out anyway I can."

"Oh, thank you Twilight!" Scootaloo ran out of her seat and over to Twilight to give the lavender princess a hug.

Twilight was about to speech up again when the butler... waiter... stallion from before came over and informed them of their arrival in Canterlot. She thanked the stallion as he left and focused her attention back at Scootaloo. "Well, we're here. Ready to get started on our adventure?"

The little orange filly looked across at the door on the other side of the train car. "You bet!"