• Published 24th Feb 2014
  • 1,363 Views, 42 Comments

The Pink Roomate - bakersong



A Freshmen in College not only got a room in the new apartment dorms at his college, but he also got a nice new pink roommate. This wouldn't be bad, if his roommate wasn't a mare, who instantly wants to be friends.

  • ...
22
 42
 1,363

Waking Up

I was having a nice little dream about me and my family having some dinner around the table. Well, it was more like a nice little memory that always appears in my dreams. But unfortunately that dream quickly turned into a nightmare as an earthquake started, and then I start to hear my mom call to me.

"Hey, wake up sleepy head!" I groaned as I was brought out of my sleep, and I was glad that it was only my roommate jumping on my bed...

"Wait, what are you doing in my bedroom?" I sprang up, now fully awake.

"You told me to wake you up at twelve if you weren't up already." She replied, giving a slight giggle. "So now that you're up, I'll go start getting everything ready."

I didn't say anything as she went out of my bedroom, I just gave her a slight glare to show that I was still annoyed. Even if I did ask to be woken up, did she really have to by jumping up and down on my bed? I mean I had my alarm clock set and everything, and I even told her that and if I still didn't get up then wake me up.

Though I took advantage of the privacy and got dressed. Now this may seem strange when I say it, but in all honesty I really didn't like wearing cloths. Being born and raised in Equestria allowed me to be more comfortable with my own skin, and being half pony also helped. But due to my life style, I pretty much had grown used to at least wearing shorts.

As I opened my door, I looked to see if I could see her anywhere and went to the bathroom. After the first five minutes of actually being around her, I had already learnt that she could pop out anywhere she wanted. Though I was glad that she at least respected privacy in others are trying to go.

But despite her being a little annoying I liked her so far, I mean she didn't seem that bad. She did have a point when she said that I wanted to be up by twelve, and for some reason my alarm clock didn't go off. After all, I was a heavy sleeper when it comes to certain noises so I wouldn't want to wake up and disrupt the party with a grumpy attitude.

That was one thing that everyone always told me when I was growing up, when I wake up I'm usually pretty grumpy. It takes about ten minutes for me to be in a more agreeable mood. But until then, everyone typically avoided me like I would snap their neck or something.

"Hey Brandon, what kind of salad do you like?" I hear her ask through the door, and before answering I spit out the toothpaste I had in my mouth.

"I don't really care Pinkie, it's your party so you decide." I call.

"But, it's our party. I mean you live here to, so that means that you're also a host." She called back.

"Fine, how about just a regular salad for the party then." I say putting my toothbrush back in it's place.

"Okay, but what kind of salad would you like now?" She ask.

"Why would you want to know that?" I reply opening the door, and looking down at her.

"Because I was going to make lunch." She answers giving me a big smile.

"I can make my own lunch thank you. And besides, you made dinner last night anyways." I say.

"Are you sure you don't want a salad made by me?" She ask, giving a slight pout.

"Sorry, that really won't work on me. Yes, I am sure that I can make my own food." I answer, walking past her and to the kitchen.

"Fine, but I was just asking because I was a little bored and I love cooking." She says, and I hear her following me. "Hey, what's that on your back?"

"Huh, what?" I ask turning my head to look at her.

"Yeah, is that a tattoo?" She ask pointing to my lower back, and I give a little chuckle. "What's so funny?"

"I thought you said you've seen Wizards before?" I say raising my eyebrow.

"I have, but what does that have to do with anything?" She reply's.

"Are you serious? You think that I have a tattoo?" She gives a nod, and I give a sigh. "Pinkie, what do you know about Wizards?"

"Well, I know that they are humans who can do magic. But they aren't fully human, they're half unicorn or at very least have unicorn blood in them." She says.

"Yes, thus making them part pony. In a way I guess this is a tattoo, but it's a cutie mark." I say, and she gave me a confused look.

"So, let me get this straight. Because you're part pony, you can get a cutie mark?" She ask, still giving me that confused look.

"Yeah, that's pretty much how it works." I answer, and then flinch when she sprung up in the air gasping, and I swear she stayed in the air longer than anyone should have.

"That is soooo cool! So what does your's represent?" She ask, curiosity practically bursting from her.

"I rather not say." I answer, avoiding her gaze.

"Oh, come on you can tell me." She says, a little whine in her voice.

"Maybe later, but I rather not just tell someone I only met last night." I say, going back to the kitchen.

"Um, okay. But are you excited about the party? Because I'm excited for the party, and will this be your first time to meet Twilight?" She ask, and then keep asking question after question without waiting for a response.

"Pinkie, will you just let me answer before you ask another question?" I ask sitting down on the couch.

"Oh, I'm sorry I was just caught up there in my own little world." She says, giving me another big smile.

"Yes, I guess I am a little excited about the party, and no this won't be the first time I met Twilight." I answer.

"What, you've already met Twilight? As is Twilight Sparkle? As in Princess Twilight Sparkle?" She asked giving me a surprised stare.

"Well, this would be the first time I met her as a princess. But I did meet her when I went to um, visit Celestia's school." I answer.

"You mean the school for gifted unicorns?" I give a nod. "That make sense, and that's so awesome that you already met her before! That will make the introduction for you two way more easier!" She says, before taking a bite out of her salad. "Hey, how come you aren't using your magic to eat?"

"Oh, well I'm just used to using my hands to do stuff." I answer shrugging.

"Your eyes look so cool when you use your magic though, so will you show me what you can do with your magic later?" She ask.

"Um, I really rather not." I reply.

"Why not?" She ask.

"It's not that I don't want to, don't get me wrong. But I'm not exactly that comfortable with showing other's, who again I just met, my magic." I answer.

"So, are you saying you don't trust me?" She ask, moving closer making me feel a little uneasy.

"In truth, yeah it's mostly because I don't trust you. But that's only because I don't know you well enough, I rather tell theses things to people, or ponies, who have been my friend for more than a day." I reply, and she just gave me one last stare before moving back.

"I understand, that means that I have to try a little more harder to be your friend." She says, taking another bite of her food.

"Great, you only want to be friends to get my secrets." I muttered out loud, and out of the corner of my eye I see that the pink mare had an offended look.

"That's not why I want to be friends, I want to be friends because I think that you're a good guy. And yes I do want to know your secrets, but I know to give some privacy and let you tell me when you decide. I do not use anypony like that, and I will never use anypony just to get their secrets." She said, her tone sent a shock of guilt in me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to actually say that. But there is a reason why I don't exactly trust anyone when I first meet them." I say, looking away.

"What do you mean by that?" She ask, her tone seemed to change from offended to slightly concerned and curiosity.

"Look, I'm not going to go into the details but let's just say that I've been used and hurt." I say taking in a deep breath before releasing. "Hey, you done? I think I'll do the dishes before the guess arrive."

"Um, just hold on let me finish this last bite." She says, and after she had finished I took both the plates and started washing them.

As I'm washing them, which in truth wasn't very much, just our two plates, a butter knife, and an empty cup. I think about my past a little, and yes it is true that I've been used and hurt before all because I was from a rich family. Even today some of them that I let go for doing this, still try to do it.

"Um, Brandon?" I give a glance back, and nod telling her it was okay. "I'm sorry if I made you bring back some painful memories, I've never really had anypony take advantage of my friendship with them before. So I know it must have been tough." She said, and I could tell that she meant it.

"It's fine Pinkie, it's been a few years since then. But do you at least understand why I don't like to tell others about myself after only knowing them for a little bit?" I ask.

"Yeah, and I'll try not to pressure you into telling me either. I Pinkie Promise this." She said, and as she started some kind of chant I turn around to see her performing some actions to go along. "...stick a cupcake in my eye."

"And exactly what was that?" I ask.

"It was my Pinkie Promise, it's one that should never be broken." She said giving me a hopeful smile.

"Like I said, it's fine . You didn't have to make any promises to me." I say, giving her a smile in return. "Hey, it's five pass one, you sure you got everything ready for when everyone you invited comes?"

"Uh, yeah! All I need though is for the..." Just before she finished, the oven beeper went off. "...cake to be done!"

"When did you do that?" I ask, seeing how I was doing the only dishes and could of sworn the oven was off when I came in.

"When you weren't looking of course." She says, after putting the cake down on the counter.

"But that makes no sense, how did you even do that when I know the oven wasn't on and where are the dishes?" I ask, not hiding my confusion.

"I would tell ya, but it would only confuse you even more." She says, letting out a giggle before bouncing off before I could ask anymore questions.

I didn't really want to question it anymore, mostly because I think she was right that it would only confuse me more. But for some reason, I know I have to get used to things like this. After that though, I let out a sigh and get back to doing the little dishes I have.