• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 1,989 Views, 26 Comments

Marshmallows: RariLestia Group Prompt Collab - Bakmah Genesis



A series of 100-500 word short stories based off one word prompts.

  • ...
8
 26
 1,989

Dressmaker by HoneyMead

by

Rarity’s hooves carried her through the castle’s hallways at a pace bordering on unseamly. If she were moving any slower the servants and guards she passed may have noticed the wet, redness of her eyes. Instead, all any of them were able to see was her ever-so-slightly off center set of her jaw and folded back ears.

She reached the Royal Apartments in short order, storming up to the large doors without a moments hesitation. The two guards on either side of the door did nothing to stop her, choosing instead to give the enraged unicorn a wide berth as she nearly barreled through the doors without so much as slowing, much less knocking.

Two very un-princessly shrieks echoed down the hall before the door was closed.

The first of these screams came from none other than the elder monarch of the Equestrian diarchy. One part surprise, one part terror, five parts embarrassment, the exclamation was almost completely drowned out by the second which defied all description.

Rarity stood, petrified, just inside Celestia’s private quarters, her eyes seemingly locked on said alicorn. For her part, Celestia sat facing her beloved with her wings flared wide and a look of such mortification that one would be forgiven for thinking she had been caught doing something truly unseemly. Then again, depending on one’s point of view, that may not have been too far off the mark.
Princess Celestia, Ruler of Equestria, Raiser of the Sun, a being somewhere between immortal and deity, stumbled for words before a unicorn two-thirds her size wearing a puffy ballroom gown.

“Celly. Love,” Rarity said when she finally recovered. “Please step aside.”

Celestia opened her mouth, still found it unwilling, and resorted to a small shake of her head.

“Darling, please. I promise I won’t freak out… again.” When Celestia failed to respond, she added, “You know that I love you and nothing is going to change that. Now please, step aside.”

With a great deal of reluctance, Celestia folded her wings back and stepped the side. As she did so, Rarity braced herself for what she was about to see. It almost wasn’t enough. A sharp hiss escaped her lips and she had to look away within the first second. The next minute was filled with deep breaths as Rarity slowly brought her eyes back up, inch by painful inch.

Rarity tried to smile, but it didn’t really work. “I appreciate the effort, darling, I do. But we’ve been over this. I don’t try to raise the Sun and you don’t try to make dresses.”

For the first time since Rarity had burst in, Celestia spoke, her voice barely above a whisper. “I wanted to make you something nice.”
Rarity forced herself to look away from the abomination of fabric and stepped up to her lover. Craning her neck up, her intimate nuzzle was met halfway by the crestfallen Celestia. “Now,” she said, stepping back, “it would be untoward to keep our guests waiting any longer.” When this failed to elicit a response, she added. “We only need to make a token appearance. Then we can come back here and craft a truly magnificent dress.”

Not unlike the sky at dawn, Celestia brightened. “Together?”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”