• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 1,984 Views, 26 Comments

Marshmallows: RariLestia Group Prompt Collab - Bakmah Genesis



A series of 100-500 word short stories based off one word prompts.

  • ...
8
 26
 1,984

Dreams - Esle Ynopemos

by

Every filly had dreams. Every filly aspired to go someplace, do something, be somepony. It was part of being a pony, and thank Faust it was, for if young ponies didn't dream of something more, ponykind would surely have still been little more than herds of wild beasts grazing the plains.

Rarity, too, had dreams. She had many dreams, of fortune, of success, of ponies cheering her name in the streets. But one of her favorite dreams was of her prince.

He wasn't always necessarily royalty, of course. Sometimes she would imagine him as a suave businesspony, or a talented artist, or, when she was feeling adventurous, a dashing rogue. But no matter the details, he was always her prince. Charming, with wit to spare. Handsome. Gentle and kind, both to her and to those around her. He would sweep her off her hooves. Their courtship would stoke a scandal in the courts (or among the cosmopolitan elite, or in the guilds, or among the privateers aboard his incredible airship), but without fail, their love would win them the day. They would be wed, and their marriage would be magical. They would live Happily Ever After, capital letters and all.

It was a lovely dream. Alas, it was not hard to guess what happened to it when she came face to face with reality. A stuck-up, snooty reality with no sense of chivalry or even common courtesy. After the Gala, Rarity found that she had developed a certain distaste for the term, 'prince.' That dream fell by the wayside and withered.

But dreams had a funny way of coming back around. Sometimes, a few changed details made all the difference in the world. Sometimes, all a dream needed to come back was a little bit of re-working.

It started, as many good things did, with a simple act of generosity. To Celestia, it was no doubt a small thing, simply putting to use a room that had been empty, for the sake of a friend. To Rarity, however, it was far more. It was the single greatest leap forward her name had ever been given the grace to take. Freely given, the key to so many of Rarity's dreams. And while she ultimately learned from the experience that those dreams were not all there was to her life, the seed of a new dream was planted in Rarity's mind.

There was somepony out there whose wit and charm put her fantasies to shame. Whose beauty had been the inspiration for poets across the ages. Whose kindness and compassion were the stuff of legend. This pony was as shrewd as ten of Equestria's greatest merchants put together. This pony's work was renowned in a wide range of artistic fields. And, if legends were true, this pony was more than capable of swashing buckles with the best of them.

Rarity swallowed a deep breath as she waited before the palace gates. She was certain this was crazy. Possibly even treasonous. A reasonable pony might have told her that what she was about to do, what she was about to confess, was a terrible idea. And she would probably have to agree with them. How fortunate, then, that there were no reasonable ponies present. There was only Rarity, and the single guardspony left behind as his partner went to get Princess Celestia.

Dreams were meant to be big. And Rarity dreamed very big indeed. Rarity dreamed of her Princess.