• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 4,133 Views, 169 Comments

A New Teacher - Sparky Brony



A fighter pilot crashes during a routine ferry flight. Saved from death by our favorite Princess of the Night. He's transported to Ponyville to give our favorite new Alicorn a lesson on a different type of magic of friendship, and that is...

  • ...
29
 169
 4,133

Chapter 18. The Single Life, it SUCKS!!!

"Well, Nick. It looks like you had a pretty bad run in with the floor," Dr. Colgate said as she looked at my dental x-rays.

"Yeah, sure, Doctor."

"This wouldn't be related to the drama between you and Princess Twilight?"

I looked at her, shocked. "No, not at all."

She leaned in close to me. "Nick, you've got double shiners, you've got three teeth loose, one lost, and you have a shattered cheekbone. And you are trying to say you fell out of bed?"

After Rainbow and Cloud Kicker left, both of my eyes swelled shut. And I decided to go to the dentist for the tooth that Rainbow Dash so expertly removed. Though I'm finding her questions to be a little intrusive. Then I finally realized, gender roles in Equestria are exactly the opposite of home, I'm going to be treated like a battered woman.

I cross my forelegs and huffed, "Yes."

She rolls her eyes and looks back at the x-rays. She seems to be trying to make a decision. She finally rotates on her chair and gets close to me.

"Sweetie, this happens from time to time. A stallion gets in a relationship with a mare, and sometimes is used like a punching bag. Now, I'm not accusing Princess Sparkle of anything."

"It wasn't Twilight."

She rears back happily. "So, some pony did do this to you."

"I deserved it," I grumped.

"Nick, no pony deserves this. You shouldn't have to take this from any lover. "

Now I'm getting angry. "I haven't had any lovers in Equestria."

She smiles. "Sure you haven't."

"Honest!"

"I believe you, just like I believe those burn marks aren't the result of a unicorn spell."

I look down at my barrel, the places where Twilight's fire hit me, she didn't do anything more than singe the fur, but my ribs are bruised from the strength of the hit. "It wasn't a unicorn."

She laughs. Then points at her light blue horn sticking up through her indigo and periwinkle mane. "Nick, I'm a unicorn. I know what unicorn magic looks like.

Once again, I fold my forehooves and huff, "I told you, it wasn't a unicorn."

"An alicorn then?"

I'm not responding, you can't make me.

She smiles. "Nick, I want to help you. I know you are not in a relationship with Twilight anymore, but you are injured, and I will fix your tooth, but you need to know, you don't have to take abuse."

"I'm not abused, Doctor. Just please do your work so I can go."

"Young stallion, I don't have time for you to stonewall me. I have to know what happened."

"I've told you what I'm willing to tell you. I am paying for this appointment, I'd appreciate it if you did the job you are being paid to do."

She smiles at me. "Nick, if you have been roughed up by some mare, this behavior is simply unacceptable, ponies need to know if there is an abuser in their midst."

"Dr. Colgate, I'm not in an abusive relationship. I never was."

She rolls her eyes with a huff, "Now, you listen here. You live in Ponyville, everypony knows everypony. And the town is simply abuzz with Twilight Sparkle's heart being broken," my face falls at this, I know how hurt she is, but hearing it from somepony else really hurts me more than my cheek, eyes, and jaw combined. My dentist continues, "and then you show up in my office wanting a tooth repair, along with showing signs of being mauled by a wild beast that happens to have magic."

I have to chuckle at that, Skittles as a wild beast, that's a laugh. I know she was holding back, even as angry as she was, she still held back. I look seriously at Colgate. "I deserved what I got, and nothing you will say will change that fact."

She rears back again. "I must say, my dear, I should report to the authorities about stallion abuse." She then nudges closer. "Or you can tell me what happened and I'll keep this between you and I."

I flip out of the chair and move towards her, my wings flaring in anger. "You miserable gossip. You want the juicy details so you can gossip with your friends and add to the rumor mill in this town." I stomp a hoof on the floor. "I won't be a part of it. As far as any pony is concerned, I had a bad tumble down the stairs after I had a problem with my fireplace. And that is the last I will hear of it, do you understand?" I'm using my officer's voice at this point, the voice that always had the e-ratings on board ship snapping to. Add to that the extra lung power I've got as a pegasus pony, her ears flatten back and she wilts.

She sighs. "Very well, Nick. Please sit back in the chair, and I'll fix up your teeth. Though in your paperwork I will give you contact information for some pony that can help you if you find yourself in a situation that you find you can't handle."

I roll my eyes as I use my wings to help me back into the chair, "Won't need it."

In moments I can hear the chime of her magic. I feel my teeth become solidly connected once again, and a new tooth grows in. I'll tell you, having a tooth grow right in your mouth in seconds is a crazy feeling. Also, for added measure, the pain in my cheek very nearly disappeared. I smile at her, trust me, that hurt.

"Aaaaaand, done." She smiles back at me as I hop off the chair and move to the door.

"Thank you, Dr. Colgate."

"And, sweetie."

"Yes?" I look back at the unicorn.

"You are a cute stallion. I don't think you'll stay single for long." She finishes with a wink that makes me groan inwardly.

***

I'm on my way home from the market, my spirit needs a lift, I'm trudging along heading towards my house. Work hasn't been bad the last month or so. The weather crew has been busy preparing for the change of seasons, and I got to watch the running of the leaves. It's amazing that it takes the ponies to get the leaves to fall. This world of Equestria is strange. I briefly think of heading over to town hall to find the speed demon in her stacks of paperwork, but I can't muster the desire to do so. So, I just continue putting one hoof in front of the other.

"Hiya Nick," I hear, in addition to the sound of a party horn. Confetti falls gently to the ground around me. I look up.

"Hello Pinkie Pie," I say tiredly.

The pink mare puts a foreleg over my withers and stuffs a cupcake in my mouth. I must say, if you need a pick me up, a cupcake baked by Pinkie Pie fits the definition perfectly. "Thank you, Pinkie. I needed that."

"Anything for a friend, Nick,” she pipes happily. So, she must not have heard what was going on with Twilight, but it's been over a month.

"Oh, I heard. You broke Twilight's heart."

Huh? I didn't say that last out loud.

"No, you didn't, Nick. I just know." And she reaches into her mane and pulls out another cupcake, this time simply handing it to me.
I sit down on my haunches, I take my time with the second cupcake, though before it's done I feel the massive amount of sugar start to take effect. I look at Pinkie Pie, her familiar smile plastered on her face. And I have to say, that is the most genuine smile I've ever seen.

A long moment of silence. "So, you don't hate me, Pinkie?"

Her smile fell to a look of absolute confusion. "No, Nick. I don't hate you."

"But why? Pinkie, I broke your friend's heart." I look down. "I'm a failure as a pony."

Now it's time for a Pinkie hug, and it's a doozie. But this time, I don't mind the lack of air. I simply find it to be comforting.

She murmurs into my ear, "Nick. You messed up. I mean seriously badly messed up. And there are some ponies that I would completely avoid for a while if I were you. But I saw how much you love Twilight. It wasn't very nice of Luna and you to deceive Twilight. But I can see that you were genuine in how you felt." She pulls away so I can see her big blue eyes. "And I think Twilight knows too. But right now she's too hurt to think of anything else. She will heal, and so will you. I'm still making plans for your wedding party."

Now I feel tears in my eyes, haven't I cried enough for the last two days? "Pinkie, I betrayed her. I would have trouble trusting myself ever again if I were her." I look down. "I wouldn't trust me," I whisper.

A pink hoof cups my chin and brings my eyes back to level with hers. "Nick, you've been in Equestria for a matter of months. Something you need to learn about the magic here. True love will always win, sometimes it just takes a little longer."

I push her hoof away. "I'm sorry Pinkie. I really am. But I don't think I'll ever be able to trust in myself again." I flap my wings and hover slowly towards my house.

"Nick, please."

"Pinkie, I want to go home."

"Nick, you made a promise to me. Are you going to break your promise?" she asks quietly, stopping me immediately.

I turn and look at the pink mare. "No, Pinkie, I would never break a promise to you, or any pony if I can help it."

She smiles at me, and reaches into her mane again, bringing out an envelope. "Goodie, you said you promise to come to another Pinkie party, and I've got one going on in a week. Be there or be square." After hoofing over the invitation, she bounces off just like Pepe La Pew, humming a happy tune. I look down at the invitation.

"I can do a party." I open the envelope and scan it quickly. "A first snow of winter party, if Pinkie is throwing the party." I sigh, "I'll be there. Though I thought the first snow wasn't until closer to Hearths Warming." I roll my eyes and head to my home.

***

"Hey, Pinkie."

"Yeah, Nick?"

"Why are we having a party?"

The pink mare turns to me and giggles, "Winter just started, the first snow fell today, didn't it? And also, Nick, does there really have to be a reason?"

I think about it for a moment. Then smile. "No, not really. But this snow storm is kind of unscheduled."

That earns me a huge grin from Pinkie, and a punch to the shoulder.

"Ow, Pinkie." I rub my shoulder and grimace. "What was that for?"

She giggled again. "That was the first genuine smile I've seen from you in a week. I saw those fake smiles you were doling out. And it made me so sad. There is nothing worse than a fake smile."

I fold a wing over her. "Thank you, Pinkie Pie."

Pinkie's just because party has been going on for about an hour now. I got to play pin the tail on the pony, and a few of the other party games that Pinkie puts on. That mare knows parties. And the ponies here love her for it.

I move from pony to pony, chatting. That Pinkie knew the exact ponies to invite as well. Not a single pony that had been rude to me since the blow up with Twilight had shown up. And all the ones that have stayed friendly to me are here. I stop for a moment and look at Pinkie, she's animatedly talking to Cloud Kicker and Blossomforth. I narrow my eyes. She did this party to lift my spirits. I sigh and smile again. It does feel good to smile, even though I feel empty inside, there's a hint of something there. I move over to Rainbow Dash.

"Hey Boss. Freaky weather from the Everfree right?"

She holds her hooves in front of her in a don't blame me gesture. "I was told from on high that fighting that storm wasn't worth our time. So, we let the moisture in." She points to the snow gently falling outside. "And we get an early snowstorm." She shrugs her wings. "Oh well. We'll just warm it up a bit and let it melt. The first real big storm is still on schedule."

I grin. "Well, Boss, looks like a busy day tomorrow."

She nods and huffs. "Yup."

I look at her closely. "What's up with you, Boss?"

The only worse liar than Rainbow Dash is Applejack. And Rainbow is clearly hiding something. All I get from her is, "Nothing."

I look around at the party, the cake hasn't been brought out yet, pretty unusual for Pinkie. She's chaotic when it comes to many things, but her parties are regimental order. You know what's going to happen at a Pinkie party. And you are going to enjoy it, she knows how to get the right mix of ponies to make the party fun independent of the party favors. I look at Pinkie across the room and back at Rainbow, her lips are comically sealed. She's up to something.

I groan, "You and Pinkie have some kind of plan, don't you?"

Feigned innocence from the cyan pegasus mare. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"You don't?" I paw the ground, "Boss, don't lie to me, please?"

She looks immensely uncomfortable and remains silent.

"This was Pinkie's idea, wasn't it?"

"Of course it was my idea, all my parties are my idea," says a voice right next to me, I turn and see the pink mare standing right next to me. I've been exposed to enough Pinkie for the last few months to not let her antics bother me too much.

"Pinkie, I'm talking about your special surprise you are waiting to spring on me."

Now I know she's planning something, Pinkie can lie, she can tell you the sky is mint green and get you to believe it. But right now she's fighting her excitement. I can see the emotions warring inside her, she is certainly up to something. I look around, nothing unusual.

I sigh, "Pinkie, it's been a rough week. I don't know if I can handle a big surprise."

She wraps a foreleg around my withers. "Nick, a Pinkie surprise is always a good one. Just trust me."

I sigh once again, I don't think I can do anything to stop this train wreck.

As if on cue, the door opens and a purple alicorn trots into the party, "I don't think I'm late. I'm here at the exact time on the invitation." She levitates out the invitation and looks at it, then looks at Pinkie. "Pinkie, I'm here, but it looks like I'm late."
Pinkie bounces to Twilight. "No, Twilight. You are here exactly when I invited you to be here." This produces confusion on Twilight's features.

I, in the mean time, have made a mad dash for the back of the room. I'm trembling. I want to see her, I want to do a lot more than just see Twilight. But I don't know what to do.

I hear Pinkie raise her voice, "Twilight, I had a purpose to this party. I want two ponies who love each other to be back together." Oh horseapples, I knew it. I lower my head as most of the ponies in the room move apart, leaving a clear path between Twilight and I. I lay down and cover my head with my forelegs.

Silence.

I hear the clip clop of hooves walking up towards me.

I can feel her, she's right next to me. I don't want to move. After several moments, I crack an eyelid open, looking through my hooves, I see Twilight standing there. Her expression unreadable.

"I'm sorry, Twilight," I whisper. I'm pretty sure she heard me, her ear twitches.

I'm still cowering, I don't know what to do at all. It's all I can do to keep from wetting myself. I'm so scared to say the wrong thing, to make the wrong move. I've hurt this mare enough. I silently curse Pinkie and Rainbow for cooking this scheme up.

"I know you are sorry, Nick," Twilight says softly. Causing my ears to prick up.

"I didn't want you hurt."

A sigh from Twilight, "I know that's not what you wanted, but it happened."

I open my mouth to say something, anything, but she interrupts my aborted attempt to speak.

"But, I'm sorry, I don't know how I can ever trust you again." Tears fall from her eyes as she turns away from me.

"Twilight, please. I know you love him." This comes from Pinkie as she moves slowly forward towards her friend.

The pink mare is silenced by a look from Twilight. The pain in Twilight's voice is overwhelming, "I need to go." She gallops out of Sugarcube Corner. I look at Pinkie and give her a wan smile, I know her heart was in the right place. I gallop after Twilight, skidding on the cobblestones of the street as I head to the tree library. I guess Twilight must have teleported ahead.

My nose slams into a force field followed by the rest of me. I land heavily on the ground. Eyes spinning. Ouch.
I rub my nose and look at the force field. "Bug... meet windshield," I say as I pass out.