• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 4,134 Views, 169 Comments

A New Teacher - Sparky Brony



A fighter pilot crashes during a routine ferry flight. Saved from death by our favorite Princess of the Night. He's transported to Ponyville to give our favorite new Alicorn a lesson on a different type of magic of friendship, and that is...

  • ...
29
 169
 4,134

Chapter 20. The Mares of Ponyville are CRAZY!!!

***Nick***
Flying, the one joy I still have in my life. Why does Cloud Kicker have to be here, today?

"C'mon Nick. It'll be fun."

I dive and the lilac mare follows me. She may not be as fast as the speed demon, but she's got a turn of speed when she wants to. I've seen her fly in full armor too, she's very impressive. But right now, I'm trying to get away.

"No, Cloud, I'm not interested."

"You won't be cheating on Twilight, you aren't with her anymore."

"You've got Blossomforth," I yell.

"Yeah, and if you want, she'll join in, she's already said she's willing."
I roll my eyes and pour on some more speed, she's keeping up with me.

"Once again, Cloud Kicker, not interested."

"You party pooper. You'll have fun."

Before Twilight, before I was in this cursed place called Equestria, I was a lot like the mare chasing me. I was after the conquest, after the quick fun. Not anymore, not after Twilight. I flip and dive for the ground.

I hear her huffing and puffing behind me, "C'mon Nick. Nothing's bothering you that a fun evening with a pretty pony won't fix."

I've had enough, as the ground comes up, I flare my wings and land, I hear her land behind me and I whirl around.

"Cloud Kicker, I don't know what the laws on sexual harassment in the workplace are here in Equestria." This elicits a confused look from her. Well, I've got my answer on that. I continue, "But where I come from, no means no."

Her wings fold and she looks hurt, "Nick. You never actually said no. I believe the same thing, no means no. You never actually said the word, no. You said you weren't interested, that's not actually no. Not interested means I have to step up and make you interested."

I jerk back. "Then, I'm afraid the answer is no, Cloud Kicker."

She smiles at me. "Fair enough, Nick. You don't know what you are missing. But I'll leave you alone."

I roll my eyes, "I have an idea, and in my old life, had you been human, I would have jumped at that chance." I sigh. "But now, I'm different."

"Well, duh, you’re a pony now."

"It's not just that, Cloud Kicker. I was in and out of women's lives. Now, there's just one woman I want in my life."

She looked sad again. "Nick, I hate to break it to you, but it's been three months. Chances are, she's not coming back."

Damn it, I'm not going to cry in front of this pony. "I know, Cloud Kicker. But I don't feel right pursuing other ponies."

"Nick, I would think they are pursuing you."

Her words resonate with me. Apparently there is a mental countdown among ponies when they split up. Because after three months of being collectively punished, attitudes among many of the mares here in Ponyville have taken a complete one-eighty. Applejack and Rarity have remained cool towards me. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie have remained friends no matter what. Fluttershy avoided me for months, but only recently has started saying hi to me again, though it's come out as a squeak mostly. And more than once I've found myself taking to the air to avoid earth bound mares. And the pegasi mares. They can be scary. I'm fresh meat once again, and they aren't intimidated by Twilight. So, I'm fair game as far as they are concerned. The trouble is, they are so nice about it. I've been asked out for coffee at least a dozen times in the last week, lunch at least four times, and dinner twice. Rainbow Dash has been helpful in informing me of some of these mares intentions, yet I've gotten roped into a couple of…dates. Though on one lunch date, when the conversation turned to "our foals," I beat a hasty retreat.

A lavender hoof waving in front of me snaps me from my reverie. "Equestria to Nick, ya there?"

I shake my head and look at Cloud Kicker. "Sorry. I was just thinking half the mares in Ponyville are in heat."

She laughs, hard. In moments she's laying on the ground on her back, wings splayed. I wait impatiently for her mirth to die down.

"Oh, Nick, you are so naïve. If the mares are pursuing you harder than you would normally realize, it's because they are. Surely you've smelled it. These earth pony towns are kind of weird, let me guess, the majority of the ponies after you are earth ponies. Am I right?"

I stop and think about it. Recounting the events of the last week or so, "Yeah, and one unicorn."

She chuckled again. "Nick." She moves close and folds a wing over my withers, despite me standing a bit taller than her, "Ponyville is an earth pony town. A good portion of the population go into estrous around the same time. A few weeks and any stallion not already taken will be fair game, and the girls will be pursuing."

"And how much choice does the stallion have?"

"As much as he wants, Nick. But the mares are dropping pheromones like it's nobody's business. And those stallions are certainly affected by it. As I've said, you should have smelled that. Any stallion not wanting to get hooked up takes a whiff and runs for the hills. Have you noticed some of the stallions around town have disappeared?"

"I noticed Big Mac, Caramel, and a few others are nowhere to be seen, yes. As for the smell. I haven't been smelling anything for the last week. My nose is so stopped up I can't breathe through it."

"Allergies?"

"Yeah, let's go with that."

"Well, the boys are off in the woods somewhere, to get away from the crazed mares. It'll be over in a few days."

"What about you, Cloud Kicker? Do pegasi have that?"

"Of course we do, Nick. But we don't usually align with the ponies around us, that's unicorns and earth ponies."

"What about alicorns?"

She sighs and stomps a hoof. "Nick, you've got Twilight on the brain."

I shrug my wings.

"Nick, that mare will be the death of you." She walks by me, flicking her tail in my face. "Though, if you just want a romp in the sack just for the fun of it," she turns and looks at me seriously, "I'm your mare." With that she spreads her wings and is flying away.

"Thank you, Cloud Kicker," I whisper.

***

"Hello Derpy, where are the kiddos?" I ask as I answer her knock at my door.

"They are having fun in the park."

I look seriously at the snow falling gently outside. "It's pretty cold, Derpy."

She smiles at me. "And the perfect time to make snow ponies and have snowball fights. Sparkler is watching the Cutie Mark Crusaders as well."

Ahhh, Derpy is one hell of a mother, I should have known she would make sure Dinky was safe. With four energetic foals, Sparkler is probably having a fun time playing with her sister and those foals. I move aside to let Derpy in.

In moments I've got water boiling. I put the tea kettle on the tray and transfer it to my back. Half a year in this world, and I'm moving around like a native. I smile to myself as I move into the living room. Setting the tray on the table, I hop on the couch and reach for the infuser and my cup. I've found that a little honey is all that's needed for sweetness. Since coming to Equestria, my diet is probably a hundred percent better than when I was a human. Though I have to admit, I've been spending a quite a lot of bits at Sugarcube corner, a stallion's gotta have his comfort food, right? I smile as I sit back and Derpy finishes making her cup of tea.

"So, Derpy. How has the mail delivery been the last week?"

She looks nervous and shifts around, moving her cup as though she doesn't know what to do with it. "It's been fine, Nick."

I look at her quizzically. "Derpy. We are friends, and a blind pony can see something is bothering you."

"Nothing's bothering me, Nick."

I close my eyes for a moment. I swear, women are the same no matter whether they walk on two legs, or four. After I open my eyes again, I put a big smile on my face, hoping it looks genuine.

"Derpy, we've been buddies pretty much since I got here. When I told you at my Pinkie Pie welcome party that you were welcome anytime, you came over the next day."

She nods her head.

"And we've gotten to be pretty good friends, right Derpy?"

She nods again.

"So, you can tell me what's up with you."

"I've kind of got…" she pauses and drops her voice to a whisper, "a crush."

I smile hugely. "That's wonderful Derpy. So, who's the lucky stallion?"

Her cheeks turn red as she talks to me, "Well, he's a pegasus."

I nod, encouraging her to continue.

"He's got such a beautiful mane."

I smile. "Very good for you, Derpy."

I reach down to grab a muffin. As I sit up I've got lips on mine and a gray furred face right in front of me. I just sit there. In moments she pulls away, blushing madly.

"I'm sorry, Nick. You've always been so nice to me. I know many ponies make fun of me behind my back. But you've never said anything nasty about me."

I just look at her, I may be slow on the uptake from time to time, but I never even had an inkling that Derpy felt that way about me.

"Derpy, I never badmouth my friends. And you are certainly a friend. I've only got a few true friends here in Equestria, and I'm glad you are on that list. But, Derpy, I never knew you felt that way."

"I didn't want to risk our friendship because I had a schoolfilly crush. And with you and Twilight having that break up, I thought you've been alone enough." She looks down.

I cup her cheek with my hoof. "Derpy." Oh Christ, how do I put this… I sigh, "Derpy, you and I are friends. I had no inkling that there was the potential for more. I never even considered that. So, this is a total surprise to me. I'm sorry for not responding, I was just too shocked by the situation."

I lean forward a bit. "Derpy, I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. You have been the nicest mare to me since I got here," I sigh again, and gulp a bit, "but I'm still hurting from Twilight. I don't want to hurt you because of my feelings for her," I lean in and kiss her, she enthusiastically returns the kiss, "but that doesn't mean there isn't room in my heart for my best friend. But for now, can we keep the more part on the back burner?"

She looks thoughtful for a moment. "So, I haven't ruined our friendship?"

I have to laugh. "No, Derpy, not at all. Whether you and I get together or not. I will always be your friend, so long as you'll have me as yours."

She leans against me and sighs contentedly, "I can live with that. I was so scared."

I nuzzle her. "Derpy, I never abandon my friends. You won't lose me as a friend."

She smiles again, "Thank you Nick."

We are interrupted by a knock at the door. Derpy moves to get the door while I run in the bedroom, the tea had the expected effect on me. In moments I'm back in my living room, and there's a new addition to the room, my eyes widen in shock.

"Nick, we need to talk."