• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 4,133 Views, 169 Comments

A New Teacher - Sparky Brony



A fighter pilot crashes during a routine ferry flight. Saved from death by our favorite Princess of the Night. He's transported to Ponyville to give our favorite new Alicorn a lesson on a different type of magic of friendship, and that is...

  • ...
29
 169
 4,133

Chapter 10. A Trip

***Twilight Sparkle***

I slam my hoof down on the floor. "No!"

Rainbow Dash, as always hovering in the air, looks at me pleadingly, "C'mon Twilight, it will be fun, you never get out, and we all have said you need a special somepony."

I roll my eyes, "I have too much to do I have three research papers I'm working on for Princess Celestia, she's still being tight lipped when it comes to my role as a Princess, and… UGH!" I stomp my front hooves on the floor again. "I said no!"

I turn away from Rainbow Dash, I've got a million things I need to do. Levitating a quill, I dip it in ink and press it to the parchment when a cyan hoof taps the end of my horn, breaking my concentration, and causing me to lose focus, the quill drops, leaving a blur of ink on the page.

"Rainbow!!!" I holler at the infuriating pegasus. I whirl around to face her, and am confronted by her giving me her best lost little puppy dog look. That causes me to pause.

"Please, Twilight. You need time away from Ponyville, you need time away from all of us. And no, your research trips to Canterlot don't count. You need to relax, you are wound way too tight. Ponyville will survive without you for a few days. It's been months since you went to Nick’s welcome to Ponyville party. It's been nearly a year since you've gone on a date, and from what you told me, it was a disaster. You have a responsibility to do more than research and study, you need to do one thing. Unwind!"

I stopped to consider her words. "I don't need a special somepony, and anyways you don't even have one."

"Well, Fluttershy has been trying to work up the courage to ask out Big Mac. Rarity has been spending more than a little time with Fancy Pants, and Applejack has been hounding poor Caramel to spend more time with her. Some of us want to start herds of our own. I do have my eyes on a certain Wonderbolt, but he won't give me the time of day. In fact, the only pony I know that doesn't have any potential dates is the alicorn standing in front of me."

I roll my eyes again. "Don't get me started with that. Ever since I got back to Ponyville after my coronation, I've had stallion after stallion wanting to go out on a date, and more than a few mares as well. I tell them all the same thing, I'm just too busy."
Rainbow Dash chuckles, "I know one stallion, he's pretty good looking, and he wouldn't want to date you because of your status, he simply thinks you are cute."

I stop and look at her. "Are you serious? No stupid social climber?"

She lands and sits down in front of me. "I'm serious Twilight. You ask him, and have a flower ready, I'm certain he'll take it."
A date? Me? Dating? When was the last time I'd actually gone on a successful date? My mind goes over the few times I've tried spending any real time with members of the opposite gender. Most have ended in disaster, I've usually over prepared and scared them off, or my nerves got to me and I totally flub everything. I look back at Rainbow Dash.

"Fine." I can't keep the grumble out of my voice.

Rainbow Dash leaps in the air and performs a loop the loop. "Good, let's go ask him, we'll buy a flower for him on the way."

"What? Right now?

"Sure, right now."

I can't help but sputter, "But, I don't have anything planned, I don't have a picnic basket packed, I don't have anything ready to go anywhere."

She smiles coyly at me, "Twilight, I know you as well as most anypony, I've got things ready for you. You are going to spend the weekend at the beach. I've got your train tickets ready, and a few other things, and you've got that nice stipend from the castle. Spend those bits that have been gathering dust. You have more bits than you can spend. Don't worry about preparing, you would be surprised how having money makes it easy to do fun things.

"But, I can't swim. What would we do at the beach?"

"You don't have to get in the water to have fun at the beach Twilight. Play a beach volleyball game, get some sun, just have fun."

I roll my eyes. "Ugh…fine."

"Great!" Rainbow trots to the door and grabs a bag that was sitting outside. She tosses it to me. "Grab a bag or two of bits, and we can go."

Moments later we exited the Golden Oaks library, I took way too much time in Rainbow's view, to give instructions to Spike for the few days I'd be gone. But finally we are trotting down the street.

"So, who is this stallion that isn't looking to improve his lot in life by getting close to me?"

Rainbow looks coyly at me, "You'll see him soon enough."

Oh, she's going to play that game, fine. I sigh and follow the rainbow maned mare. After a while walking we end up in front of a familiar house. "Rainbow, this is Nick's house. He couldn't wait to move out of the library. It can't be him."

She smiles at me. "He's just uncomfortable relying on anypony for help. Well, actually, he hates it. He is independent, to the point of stupidity. It's something about the world he's from. Guys have got to be self sufficient, they have to make the money, they have to be in control."

"Huh, but it's a mare's job to support the family, Rainbow."

"Twilight, he's from a patriarchal society."

That stops my thinking for a moment.

Rainbow laughs, "See, I'm not an egghead, but I know some things. Him and I have talked a lot, I usually pair him with either Blossomforth or Cloud Kicker, he's getting pretty good at doing weather work. but I've had the chance to talk to him quite a bit. I take him out to eat weekly, he's been pretty isolated since coming here. We've become buddies. And he really does like you, he said you have a pretty laugh."

I feel my face burn. "Well, if he's been working with Cloud Kicker, she's probably gotten her claws into him at least once."
Rainbow looks at me. "Cloud Kicker may be after anypony, but she follows her rules for the most part, and a big rule for her is no dating friends of the boss, so she's left Nick alone. Though she did say that if you and him don't click she wants to give him a try, Blossomforth seems to like him too, so you better strike while the iron is hot."

"I don't know, are you sure?"

She nods at me. I sit down and think for a moment. Do I really want to date? I've never had much interest in spending time with any pony, while in Canterlot, I spent almost all my time studying, and since I came to Ponyville, I've spent most of my time studying, except when we've had to rush off and save the world from the likes of Discord, Queen Chrysalis, and King Sombra. I turn to Rainbow Dash.

"You know what, you're right. I do need some time away." I light up my horn and push the button for the doorbell, I can hear it's soft chime faintly. As I do, Rainbow Dash jumps up and flies straight up. In a second or two she's gone. I turn back and call after her, but to no avail, she completely ignores me. I stomp my hoof in frustration. I freeze at the sound of a throat clearing. I whirl around, face burning. There is Nick, looking completely confused.

"Ah…eh," I stutter out. Oh great Twilight, you have a pony that's genuinely interested and you can't put two words together.
He looks at me curiously, his cheeks are starting to get red.

I close my eyes, momentarily wishing I could simply disappear, but I did tell Rainbow Dash that I would try. I take a deep breath. "Hi Nick."

He looks around, clearly confused. "Uh… Hi Twilight."

***Nick***

I look at Twilight, first I get a message from Rainbow Dash that the weather team is doing well and I've been given four days off, and now I've got Twilight at my door, looking very uncomfortable. She stammers and tries to talk, but it looks like her tongue is tying itself in knots. It slowly dawns on me. She's trying to ask me out.

"Nick, I'm going to go to the beach for the weekend, would you like to join me?" Her face is red as she works through the sentence.
I stop, Rainbow and I have been talking during our weekly dinners about how best to break the ice with Twilight, and she said she would try to pry Twilight out of the library for a while. And I didn't think she would ever succeed, but then, she's here in front of me. I notice something out of the corner of my eye, Rainbow Dash is laying on a cloud, looking intently at the two of us. She's nodding her head and smiling very widely at me, encouraging me to say yes. I focus on Twilight. "Yes, Twilight, I'd love to."

"Oh, it's alright, forget I asked…" She trailed off, then looked at me with very wide eyes. "You said yes?"
"You asked me out on a date, right?"

She gulped and nodded.

"I'd love to. I like Ponyville, but it would be great to get out of town for a couple of days. It turns out, I've got a few days off, I'd love to spend those days with you."

"Oh, wonderful!" She sits back and clops her front hooves together.

"Do I need to pack anything?"

"Only what you want to bring with you. The train leaves in…" She levitates out a set of train tickets from her bag, "an hour, so we better get going."

I grab a few things and in moments I'm walking next to Twilight on our way to the train station.

"I'm guessing you are wondering why I haven't given you a flower, you have been told of that tradition right?
I look down, "I know of the tradition, I'm still a little mystified about pony courting habits. But I'll admit to some curiosity about it."

She sighs, "I don't know if I want to go as far as saying we are courting, I told Rainbow Dash that I wasn't courting you right now."

"Well, we are kind of going on a romantic weekend to the beach, Twilight."

She gives me a sidelong look, "Don't you be planning anything mister, we are going to have fun, and that's it."

I shrug my wings, "It's alright with me, Twilight, I love spending time at the beach. If I just wanted to fly, I would have joined the Air Force. I joined the Navy because I love the water as well. I wonder how well I'll be able to swim in this body."

"Oh, have fun. I can't swim."

That stops me in my tracks, she doesn't immediately notice and keeps walking. In a moment she stops and looks back at me, "What?"

"You can't swim, Twilight. Seriously?"

"I just said I can't, Nick."

I trot to catch up to her and brush her hip with mine. "Well, we will have to fix that."

It's time for her to stop in shock. "You would teach me?"

"Of course, Twilight, swimming is fun. And it's whole body exercise, it makes you feel wonderful."

"Exercise? Are you saying I'm fat?"

I stumble, and barely keep from face planting. I look at the grin on her face.

"Just kidding." I'm now the recipient of a hip nudge.

We keep chatting to the train station. And the train ride itself is uneventful. Seven hours on the train. We got a lot of talking done, along with way too many awkward silences. I actually like this mare. I'm still dithering whether or not I'm actually attracted to her. My human sensibilities kept getting in the way. Shortly after our stop was announced, I excused myself and trotted to the small restroom aboard the train car. After looking at myself in the mirror, I needed to have a conversation with myself.

"Well, Nick. Do you like her or not?" The spoken words forced me to analyze my feelings. Twilight is interesting, she's smart, she's very socially awkward, she's the kind of nerd I used to make fun of in high school. But then again, after meeting quite a few ponies, I'd say she's pretty attractive, for a pony that is. I look in the mirror, well, I'm not one to judge how attractive ponies are, but I'm drop dead gorgeous. I smile at myself. She does have a very pretty smile. I close my eyes and picture her smile, and her laugh, everything about her I find endearing. I find my heart fluttering more than usual. I sigh. "Well, Nick, looks like you've been bit." I reach over and unlock the bathroom door, immediately tripping over my hooves and face planting. I look up and see a red faced Twilight looking at me.

"You've been bit?" She asks.

"Uhhh, you heard that?" I can feel my face heat up. Can I gallop away now?

She traced a pattern with her hoof, looking very intently at the ground. She nods slightly.

I sigh, a little bit of explaining is necessary at this point I think. "Well, Twilight, a matter of months ago I was a human male, I was attracted to human females. I had never thought about being attracted to any mares. I knew I liked you." I paused for a moment. "I just don't know if I want to be with a horse for the rest of my life."

I looked up and her eyes were wide. "I'm….. a….. PONY," her tone emphasizing how much I just hurt her. I saw tears starting to form in her eyes. Has she really fallen for me this hard? Oh sweet Jesus, open mouth, insert hoof. No, scratch that, insert leg.
"Twilight, wait," I call as she whirls around to run from the train car. I don't know why, but it did stop her. She looked back at me, pain evident on her face.

I sigh, "Twilight, what I'm trying to say is…" I look down, my mind is running in circles, I know what I want to say, but pushing those words out is proving to be a monumental task, "I think I'm falling in love with you." I close my eyes. I hope I haven't ruined everything by blurting out exactly the wrong thing to say.

My hopes are buoyed by a pair of arms wrapping me in a hug and a muzzle impacting mine. I open my eyes wide, she's kissing me. Better kiss her back. She's a terrible kisser though. I put a hoof on her cheek and subtly guide her. She moans against my mouth and we kiss deeply, my eyes flutter closed as I lose myself in the kiss.

"Ah..hem, I would go to the other restroom, but it's occupied." We are interrupted by a voice. We spring back and both look at the newcomer, a unicorn stallion. He quickly moves past us and into the restroom. I look at Twilight, her face is as red as I can feel mine is.

"Perhaps we should go to our seats before our stop."

"Yes."

***

"Wow, Rainbow went all out didn't she?" Twilight said as she used her magic to open the hotel room. This wasn't the royal suite, but it was one of the nicest rooms in this beachside resort. The French doors open onto a view of the beach, and the crashing of the surf is evident everywhere. It's late summer, and I'm just blown away at how beautiful it is. I open the doors and just stand there, looking at the setting sun over the ocean. I turn, hearing Twilight open the bedroom door.

"Oh, dear," I hear from her, causing me to trot into the bedroom with her.

"What?"

"Rainbow didn't tell me it was the Honeymoon suite." She points and I follow the line of her hoof to the bed.

"Oh dear," I echo Twilight.

The bed is huge, easily a half dozen ponies could sleep on this massive thing, but it's heart shaped, and has frills everywhere. And at the foot of the bed is a large basket, with a bottle of champagne on ice and a plethora of chocolate dipped strawberries filling it. I just confessed my feeling to her, this is a first date, though I'll admit a very romantic one, and now the hotel has just one bed? Oh dear is right. I can feel my face burning, I risk a glance over at Twilight. Her face is very nearly glowing. How cute.

I awkwardly clear my throat, "Uh, Twilight. I can take the couch in the other room."

She shakes her head. "No, I'll take the couch, you can have the bed."

"Twilight, you are a princess, and more than that, you are a mare, you get the bed."

She turns to me, "Nick, it's a mare's job to take care of her stallion, remember, mares outnumber stallions by a good bit, we take care of them. I'll take the couch. No argument, understand?"

I lower my ears and head. "Fine."

With that settled, she drops her bags next to the couch and heads to the door. "I'm famished, you?"

I smile, "I would love a wonderful meal with you Twilight."