• Published 20th Feb 2014
  • 4,754 Views, 281 Comments

Laughter is Faith - Redric Carrun



In a world where terrifying monsters are not constrained to the bloated Everfree, Pinkie Pie is Princess Celestia's student.

  • ...
6
 281
 4,754

Chapter 3: Idle Conversation

Princess Celestia smiled as she looked down at the card in her hoof. There's a party in Ponyville, it read, and you're invited! Be there at the town hall, thirty minutes before sunrise, for friends, food and fun!

The glitter was a bit much, but her student's cheer and excitement shone through in the way the words were written. The playful loops and swirls almost suggested the very tone of voice she would have used, had she been there saying it in person.


“Pinkie really can get things done when she puts her mind to it, can't she?” the Princess said.

The captain of the guard standing next to her blinked. “Yes, ma'am, she can. Uh... was that a rhetorical question?”

Celestia looked down at him. “That's quite alright, Shining Armor. I was talking to myself, but I think I would enjoy having a conversation at the moment.”

“Right,” Shining replied.

There was silence for a moment. Shining cleared his throat.

“Your chariot is ready, your Highness, whenever you wish to leave.”

“Wonderful. Then let's be on our way.” Celestia smiled again. “It wouldn't do to miss a celebration in my own honor.”


The walk through the palace was quieter than usual. At this early hour of the morning not many of the servants were awake, even in the castle of the Princess of the Sun. As they stepped out onto the runway, the chariots were lined up for take-off, in classic formation, with the herald cart in front, the royal carriage, and the chariots for the guards all in formation. The Princess turned to Shining Armor.

“Would you care to join me, captain, on our trip? I meant it when I said I desired company this morning.”

Shining paused. “Ah- yes, of course. As you wish, your Highness.”

The two stepped into the royal carriage, and the team of pegasi pulling it took off. The castle and city of Canterlot dropped away below them. The towering spires and minarets curling gracefully upward were a sight to behold, even in the dim light of the pre-dawn moon.


“You've met her, I'm sure,” Celestia said idly.

Shining Armor blinked. “Pinkie Pie?” he asked. “Yes, I've met her. The whole castle must have met her at least once. Everypony there knows her. She's your student.”

“Yes. My student...”

From where Shining was sitting, he could not see the Princess' face. Her flowing mane concealed her eyes.

“She's very... outgoing,” Shining said. “I tried to get my sister to meet her once or twice, before she moved away, but it never worked out. I think Pinkie would have done her good. Maybe even gotten her out of the house for a while.”

“Your sister lives in Ponyville, yes?”

Shining nodded. “She does. She wanted to research the monsters that live in the forest nearby. The Everfree.” He sighed. “It... worries me, sometimes. Her being so close to danger like that...”

“If she is in Ponyville, then I'm sure you will see her at the party,” Celestia said. “Everypony was invited, you know.”


Shining didn't say anything.


“I'm sure Pinkie Pie has thrown you one of her wonderful parties, too,” the Princess said. “She throws them for everyone who stays long enough.”

“Yes,” Shining replied. “She threw me one.”

Celestia looked at him. There was a sad smile on her face.

“Was that the time when your fellow guards tried to spike the punch, and Pinkie ended up drinking the whole bowl to keep anyone else from getting drunk?”

“That's the one,” Shining said. “Were you there, Princess? I didn't see you.”

Celestia frowned. “Even with my best effort, I'm not able to attend every party my student throws. But she tells me of them, afterward. Pinkie is very proud of them. It's her special talent, you know.”

“Y- yes. I know,” Shining Armor frowned. “Excuse me, Princess, but why are you telling me this?”

The Princess stared at the night sky for a long, long moment.

“No reason,” she said at last. “I just wanted to talk about things. Little things. Important things, like that. Things that shouldn't be forgotten.”


Celestia turned back to the captain. “Do you know the history of the Summer Sun Celebration?” she asked.

“Not particularly,” Shining grimaced. “Sorry.”

“The tradition began one-thousand years ago, as a celebration of my victory over the Mare in the Moon,” Celestia said.

“The Mare in the Moon?” Shining asked. “You mean, the pattern on the moon that looks like a mare's head?”

“She was a real pony,” Celestia said. “An alicorn, like me. Pegasus wings, unicorn horn, taller than any earth pony, with a coat as black as night, and a mane made of the stars. She had many names. One of them you might recognize; she is the pony Nightmare Night is named after.”

Shining Armor's eyes widened. “Nightmare Moon? The Mare in the Moon is Nightmare Moon?”

“Yes,” Celestia said. “Nightmare Night and the Summer Sun Celebration used to be held on the same day, as part of the same great feast, before I changed it. Nightmare Moon may have attacked on the longest day of the year, but I wanted to be able to remember it as a happy time. So I separated the two; Nightmare Night recalls the defeat of Nightmare Moon, and the Summer Sun Celebration is just that. A celebration of the Summer Solstice.”

“... Princess,” Shining said. “If it isn't too much to ask... Why did you decide to hold this year's celebration in Ponyville? It's not a very notable town.”

“Oh, but it is. You said it yourself, earlier. Ponyville is the only town within fifty miles of the Everfree forest. In fact, it's right on the forest's border.”

“Why does that make it a good place to hold the Summer Sun Celebration at?” Shining asked.

“Because this year's Celebration is also special,” Celestia replied. “It is the one-thousandth Summer Sun Celebration. It has been exactly one-thousand years since I defeated Nightmare Moon and sealed her away.”

“... Why does that matter?”

The Princess smiled, softly. “Monsters are not the only things the Everfree has to boast of. Did you know I used to live there? There was a castle, the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters. That was where I did it. Where I fought the Mare in the Moon.”

She sighed.

“And that, if anywhere, will be where she returns.”


“What?!” Shining cried out. One of the pegasi flying the carriage looked back, but the captain and the Princess paid him no heed.

“There are predictions,” Celestia said in a hushed tone, “prophesies, that she will return on the longest day of the thousandth year of her banishment. I do not know if they are true, but if they are, then the Nightmare is certain to descend on Ponyville first. It is closest to where she was banished, to where she will return. And if she does show up... I will be there, waiting for her.”

Shining Armor just stared at her. The carriage flew on.


“I'm sorry,” Celestia said. “About your sister. ”

Shining shook his head. “No, your Highness. She knew it was dangerous when she moved there. And if Nightmare Moon is real... if she really does come back... nowhere will be safe.”

He looked up. “That's why you were talking about Pinkie Pie,” he said. “You're worried about her.”

Celestia's face was impassive.

“If the sun does not rise today,” she said, slowly, “if tonight is the last night, for all of eternity... Then Pinkie deserves to spend it outside of the castle, for once. With everypony else, having one of the parties she loves so much.”

“You'll keep her safe, your Highness,” Shining said. “You'll keep everypony safe. You'll see.”

Celestia stared up at the sky and said nothing.


Some time later, the carriage arrived in the little town on the borders of the Everfree.