• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 639 Views, 1 Comments

The Nightmares Return - Optimistic Pessimist



Nightmare Moon is no more... or is she?

  • ...
 1
 639

Finding a Replacement

“Restoring a Nightmare to a host is no simple task.” Twilight nodded. “Let me look in the royal library for something about it. Keep her detained while I’m gone.” Princess Luna promptly conjured magical chains around the Nightmare. “Consider it done.” Twilight quickly ran indoors to the library. Twilight looked high, and Twilight looked low. She looked low and high, and high before she realized that such a book would be old. “I’ll go check the ancient records for it.” She shuffled quickly through the ancient documents before coming to a peculiar sheet. “Is this it?”



The sheet showed the Elements of Harmony and Nightmare Terra. In the diagram, The Elements of Harmony were portrayed to be revolving around the Nightmare. Further down the page, the Nightmare had turned into a cloud of magical smoke. The Elements of Harmony then siphoned the cloud into a chest.

“We no longer have the chests.” She sighed. “I guess this will have to do.” Twilight rushed back outside with the scroll.

Princess Luna turned her head as Twilight ran out of the castle. “Did you find anything?” Twilight sighed. “It was the closest thing I could find.” Twilight showed the Princess what she found, and she looked at it. “I guess we have no choice. Start the ritual.” Twilight was confused. “What?” Princess Luna looked over to Twilight. “If this was all thou could find, then we will simply have to make do.” Twilight looked at the sheet. “Alright Princess, whenever you’re ready.” Princess Luna smiled. “We await your preparations.”

“Alright girls. Formation!” Twilight and her friends formed a circle around the Nightmare. The Elements of Harmony began glowing, and the Nightmare was lifted off the ground. The Elements of Harmony suddenly shot out brilliant rays of light. The Nightmare began smoking, turning into a cloud. “Princess Luna!” The princess trotted underneath the cloud. Suddenly cloud enveloped the Princess. Slowly, but gradually, the cloud shrank, until it left nothing but the Princess standing there. The dark blot on her flank had returned, and when she opened her eyes, they were slits, like the Nightmares’. The Elements of Harmony continued to glow as the Princess twisted this way and that, the Nightmare within, fighting the restraints.

When the Elements of Harmony finally stopped glowing, Princess Luna collapsed. The group immediately ran over to the Princess. “Princess! Are you alright?” The princess stood up, and when she opened her eyes, they were large and round, as a normal eye should be. “Yes, we are fine, Twilight.” The Princess turned to the other Nightmares. “But what of the other Nightmares?” Twilight looked over. The other Nightmares lay there, paralyzed, harmless, and yet intimidating. “We need to find proper hosts for them too. We can’t just leave them here.” Pinkie Pie tapped her chin. “We should just get everyone in one place so we can find a proper host for the Nightmares.” Applejack looked around. “Anypony seen Princess Celestia?”

“Ah, There ya are Princess. We’ve been looking for you.” Applejack kindly bowed. As did crowd of ponies in front of her. “Twilight, please remind me what is going on.” Twilight nodded. ”The Nightmares had broken free, but Nightmare Terra had destroyed the chests in which they were prisoners. Now we’re looking to find a proper host to hold them.” Princess Celestia scanned the crowd. “What are we looking for?” Twilight looked around. She brought the three Nightmares to the crowds view. They all flinched in fear. “Here you see the three Nightmares that brought such devastation to our beautiful cities.” Twilight spoke loudly and clearly. “They represent the three evils of the pony: Rage, arrogance, and mercilessness. We seek proper hosts that can counteract these traits.” The crowd flinched at the word ‘host’.

“OH OH! Sounds COOOOOL!” Everybody turned to the small orange pegasus at the front. “...what? It does!” Princess Luna stepped forward. “Do not be reckless young filly. Being the host of a Nightmare is worse then being...whatever it is you are called these days.” “Huh?” A small white unicorn turned her head. “She means chicken, Scootaloo.” The fillies eyes narrowed. “How many times do I have to tell you, Sweetie Belle? I’m NOT a chicken!”

Princess Celestia stepped forward. “Is there anypony willing to serve as a host to prevent this evil from threatening our peace?” The crowd was silent. “Anyone?” the crowd looked at a single hoof raised. “Please come up.” The crowd parted for the pony. Applejack gasped. “Apple Fritter? What are you doing?” The green maned pony chuckled nervously. “Sorry cuz. Someponys gotta do it.” The pony turned to Nightmare Terra. “This one here’s for arrogance? I’ll take ‘er.” Twilight nodded. “Are you sure?” Apple Fritter nodded. “No goin’ back!”

The crowd gasped as another hoof was raised. The unicorn trotted through the parted crowd and looked over to Apple Fritter, who smiled approvingly. “I’m Romana. My friends call me Colgate.” She trotted over to Nightmare Frost. “This ones the nasty one right? Leave him to me!” She and Apple Fritter bumped hooves and giggled.

The crowd fell silent. Princess Celestia scanned the crowd. “I understand if no pony wishes to host Nightmare Pyre. Rage is probably the most difficult. But please! We need a host to contain this terror!” The crowd was silent, until a voice broke the stillness. “Aw, heck with it!” A pegasus flew up from the crowd and onto the stage. To everyone surprise, the pegasus wore a Wonderbolt uniform. She removed her mask and goggles and threw her blazing orange mane from her face. Rainbow Dash gaped. “Spitfire?” “Hey Rainbow. You recognize me!” She trotted up to Nightmare Pyre. “Rage, huh? Nothing the leader of the Wonderbolts can’t handle.” She smirked. “Alright girls. We’re all in this together.” Spitfire smiled at Romana and Apple Fritter.

Princess Luna walked up to the three. “Now, you three do realize what you are doing, correct?” Spitfire, Romana and Apple Fritter nodded in unison. “You are about to bear a heavy burden upon your shoulders. Hosting a Nightmare is no simple task. Believe me, I know.” “We are prepared to do whatever it takes.” Spitfire spoke confidently. Princess Luna smiled, then turned to the crowd. “We suggest that you take your leave now. We must release and subdue the Nightmares. It is for your safety.” It was surprising how quickly the crowd cleared.

“Alright, Nightmare Terra first. Stand back Apple Fritter.” The pony stepped back as Pinkie Pie removed the charm. “FOALS! RELEASING ME WILL BE THE BIGGEST...!” She stopped the moment Twilight struck over the head with her staff. “Concussion spell. Huh. Useful.” The Elements of Harmony formed a circle around the Nightmare. “Apple Fritter. When the Nightmare turns into a mist, you have to get under it as soon as possible.” The earth pony nodded. The Elements of Harmony shone brightly, reducing the Nightmare to a smokey cloud. Apple Fritter ran in as prompted, and the smoke disappeared around her. Apple Fritter struck out this way and that, beating down the Nightmare within. When the Elements stopped glowing, Apple Fritter stood unsteadily, legs shaking and breathing heavily. She opened her eyes, and they were round as a ponies should be. Princess Luna walked up to the earth pony. “Congratulations, Apple Fritter. You are now the host of a Nightmare. Look upon your flank.”

Apple Fritter turned to her flank and looked in surprise. There was a strange mark on it. Though her three apple fritters cutiemark was still visible, there was a striking green design that looked not unlike vines growing from the earth. “Hmm... Ah could git used ta this!” The design matched well with her green mane and yellow coat.

Romana looked unsteadily at Apple Fritter. “So how was it?” Apple Fritter tapped her chin. “It’s like...drinking rotten milk. Ya drink, then yer sick. Only thing is, it’s short.” Romana laughed nervously, and swallowed. “Alright. Let’s get this over with.”

Nightmare Frost went down without much trouble. The Elements of Harmony glowed again, and the Nightmare smoked up, turning into a cloud of hail and snow. Romana swallowed, and ran into the storm that was the Nightmare. When the cloud disappeared, Romana stood there, shivering. Her eyes were small, but round. Romana chuckled nervously and looked at her flank. A deep blue pattern had formed under her hourglass cutiemark. It was jagged, like sharp icicles.

“Hmm... it appears to be different for every Nightmare.” Applejack looked at Twilight. “How’s that?” Twilight tapped her chin. “Apple Fritter was shaking after receiving Nightmare Terra. But Romana was shivering, as if she just came in from a snow storm.” Spitfire sighed. “Let me guess. Unbearable heats?” Twilight nodded. “Probably.” Spitfire chuckled. “Let’s do this.” Twilight held up her hoof. “Wait. For the sake of precaution.” Spitfire stopped, then frowned. “You want me to take off the costume, don’t you.” Twilight sighed. “This spell is still very new. It’s just for now. You can put it back on afterward.” Spitfire sighed. “Alright.” She went behind a far tree. Some rustling could be heard. Then Spitfire returned. Everyone stared. “THIS is why I try to keep it on.” How could they help it? Such a sleek, slender body she had. What great, powerful wings she bore. Though a pegasus was built for flying, none more so then she. “...Can we please get on with it?” Spitfire was blushing through her brilliant golden yellow coat. Twilight shook her head. “Sorry about that. Girls! one last time!”

When Twilight removed the tag, Nightmare Pyre roared. “I WILL DESTROY YOU!” Twilight quickly knocked him over the head with her spell. The Nightmare promptly fell over unconscious. “Ready Spitfire?” The Wonderbolt smirked at Rainbow Dash. “Ready as I ever will be.” The Elements glowed for a final time, and the Nightmare disappeared into a swirling rage of fire. Spitfire stared fearlessly into the flame, and flew in. The fire storm flared, and suddenly shrunk around Spitfire. She was standing erect, eyes wide open, wings flared out. Her teeth were clenched tightly together, and her eyes were the slit eyes of the Nightmare. She twitched and shook, fighting the Nightmare within. Finally, She stopped, panting, and closed her eyes in exhaustion. Her eyes opened revealing bright, round eyes. She turned to her flank. A brilliant burning orange streak had appeared. It was like the burning pyre of a flame. “So how was it?” Spitfire turned to Twilight. “I could go for a glass of water.” They shared a laugh.

Princess Luna walked up to the three. “Now that you three are hosts of the Nightmares, you must now be more diligent in your self control.” Spitfire, Romana, and Apple Fritter nodded in unison. Pinkie Pie thought for a moment. “Spitfire, would you mind trying to, you know, spit fire?” The Wonderbolt looked strangely at Pinkie, but nevertheless, threw her head back in preparation. When she exhaled, a powerful orange flame flew from her lips. Spitfire immediately covered her mouth and looked around nervously. “Heh heh...oops.” Princess Luna was surprised. “Interesting. Spitfire, we’d encourage you to spend the night here in Canterlot. Romana, Apple Fritter, I suggest you two do the same.” The three looked at each other. “Sure why not?”

Twilight raised her hoof. “Just to be safe, can we six stay here as well?” Princess Luna looked over to her. “We don’t see why not. Were one of the Nightmares to rampage, it would not be a pretty sight. Yes, you may stay the night,”

Rainbow Dash nudged Twilight. “Smooth, Twilight. Got us a room in the palace. I heard they got beds softer then clouds!” Rainbow Dash snickered to herself. Twilight looked at her strangely. “I didn’t do it for the beds.”