• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 639 Views, 1 Comments

The Nightmares Return - Optimistic Pessimist



Nightmare Moon is no more... or is she?

  • ...
 1
 639

Meeting the Nightmare

Twilight was not even sure what to look for. Princess Celestia had only stated that there would be a prison of some sort in the mountain ranges of the Everfree. That was not much to go on though. Then she remembered that the princess had mentioned it was near the dragon lairs. So she decided to look there. There were several dragon lairs scattered throughout the forest, but a few were in the mountains. But to no avail. She searched every dragon lair only to find countless riches, but no prison.

She touched down. “This is getting hopeless. How am I supposed to find something so small in such a large area.” She scratched her head. “The Nightmares are powerful. A normal prison would not be able to hold them in, much less for who knows how long.” Twilight perked up. “That means there must be a magical enchantment on the prison. And no doubt a very powerful one.” So she cast a spell, and a light wave of magic spread out quickly from her horn. She waited. There was a small source of magic, and a large source of magic located in opposite directions. “Huh. But which one is it?” She burst into her violet flames. “Guess i have to check.”

Twilight decided that the large source of magic would be the location of the prison. “It should be right around here...” She looked over a peak. She saw a blue flame darting around the mountain side. “So it was Rarity. Impressive.” Twilight turned and headed towards the smaller source of magic. “The magic must have worn off after time. Maybe that’s why the nightmares were able to escape.” She landed at the mouth of a cave. “So this is where it is”. She looked inside. There was a small altar, with three open chests. They were red, blue and green. “This must be it.” Twilight went back outside and flew up into the sky to signal the others.

“So this is the prison?” Rainbow Dash walked up to the three chests. “They’re kind of small for a Nightmare, don’t you think?” Applejack nodded in agreement. ”Nightmare Moon was easily five times as big as those small boxes.” Twilight walked up to the chests. “The only reason I was able to find them was because of a magical residue that was left on them.” Pinkie Pie tilted her head. “So magic allowed them to squeeze inside? No wonder they wanted out!” She looked inside a chest. “That so small! I almost feel sorry for them.”

“You should be.” A deep voice resounded through the cave. “Who said that?” Rainbow Dash looked around. Fluttershy was quaking. “You wouldn’t know me. But then again, why would you?” Suddenly, a great pillar of earth struck up from the floor, just in front of Rainbow Dash, who jumped back in surprise. It cracked, revealing an earth pony. The mare was as tall as Princess Celestia, and had a black coat. Emeralds sprouted from her neck where her mane should have been. Her eyes though, her a dark green, with slit pupils, like a cats’. “You must be Nightmare Terra.” Jester walked up to the front. “Ah, you do know me. Are those the Preludes of Chaos? astounding. Quite the personality there. Especially since your standing with the Elements of Harmony, correct?” Twilight spoke up. “If you’re Nightmare Terra, then we will have to but you back into those chests.” The Nightmare looked up. “I told my brothers that some will come and imprison us again. But no, they would not listen, and now here you are.” The Nightmare lowered her head. “I am NOT going back into those boxes.” And she reared up and slammed her hooves into the ground. Three pillars shot up from the ground, crushing the chests. “Now to eliminate YOU!” She rushed them, bent on crushing their bones. Jester stood still, at the front. “You are stupid.” The nightmare was blown back with a quick sweep of a black blade. Jester stood still, holding his Crescent Wave up. “You are crazily out numbered. It would be foolish of you to try and attack.”

The Nightmare got back up. “Heh. You maybe right. SEE YA!” With that the Nightmare jumped up and disappeared into the ground. “Great. Now how are we going to seal them again?” Twilight was worried. They could defeat them, but then they could just get back up and start again. “I don’t know Twilight. But first things first. We have to defeat them.” Twilight sighed again. “And how are we going to find them?” “We don’t have too.” Pinkie Pie pointed out towards the horizon. There was a raging fire, and large iceberg and mountains building themselves everywhere. “Well that’s... interesting.” Rainbow Dash was all prepped up. “This’ll be easy. We’ll just pick them off one by one! No problem!” Rainbow Dash was about to jump when Fluttershy spoke up. “Excuse me Rainbow, but there’s one small thing I was thinking about.” Rainbow Dash turned to her. “Well, what is it?”

“You know how Nightmare Moon was made from the resentment in Princess Luna’s heart?” Rainbow Dash just stared. “What does that have to do with anything?” Fluttershy backed down a little. “I was just wondering that they draw power from certain emotions?” Twilight nodded her head. ”Yes that would make sense.” She pondered a little longer. “Going at them all at once would probably make them stronger then they have to be when we fight them.” Rarity flinched. “Are you suggesting that we go alone?” Applejack looked over at Rarity. ”Nah, she probably just means going in smaller groups.”


Jester nodded in agreement. “So we should go separately against the Nightmare we would have the least problems with.” Twilight nodded. “Applejack, I wouldn’t recommend Terra. You’re quite stubborn.” Applejack narrowed her eyes. “Alright Twilight, don’t have to spit it out.” Twilight sighed. “Sorry Applejack, but it’s for the sake of necessity.” Applejack nodded. “Fluttershy, you should probably go with me to fight Nightmare Frost. Being the Element of Kindness should come with mercy.” Fluttershy nodded meekly. ”I..I guess...” Rainbow Dash was bored. “But what about ME? Who do I get to fight?” Jester looked over to Rainbow. “You’d probably do well against Terra.” Rainbow Dash wheeled on Jester. “What? That weakling? I could take her out and send her to the moon with my right hoof tied behind my back!” Twilight turned to Rainbow. “You know you’re only proving him right, right?” Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight, then back at Jester. “I guess you’re right.” she sat on the ground.

Rarity looked around. “I don’t think I’ll go well with Terra either.” Twilight nodded. “I think you’d fight well against Frost.” Twilight thought a little longer. “But who will fight Nightmare Pyre?” Jester looked around. “I’ll go.” Twilight turned to Jester. “Rage is a difficult emotion. Are you sure you can handle it?” Jester nodded. “I’m pretty sure I can handle him.” “I’m probably going with you.” Pinkie Pie walked up to Jester. “Alright. The teams are settled?” The group nodded. “Alright. When everyone is finished, bring them to the castle where Celestia can find a suitable holding place for them.” Rainbow Dash spoke up. “I’ve been itching for another fight. LET’S MOVE!” and with that she exploded into a furious red and flew off. Applejack looked around. “Ah shoot can’t let her fight her by herself. WAIT UP!” And Applejack flew off the edge of the cliff, soaring after the red flame.

“WAIT!” Twilight rushed out to the edge. “Let them go.” Twilight turned to Jester. “They should be fine. Applejack is stubborn, not arrogant.” Twilight sighed. “I hope so. We should get going anyway. Ready Fluttershy?” The pegasus was a little hesitant. “A...Alright. Let’s go.” Three flames flew off towards the great iceberg. “Alright. Ready Pinkie Pie?” Jester looked around. “Pinkie Pie?” he looked out the cave to see a pink flame heading towards the fire. “Pinkie Pie...” Jester flew off, blending in with the smoke coming off the flame.