• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 539 Views, 30 Comments

An Exceptional Discovery On The Nature Of Pony Names - L Pondera



Magic Geiger has done it! He has made a breakthrough with his research into the coincidental naming of ponies. Its the pinicle of his career for certain. Though, what kind of ramifications could this discovery impose? A whole lot of trouble it seems.

  • ...
1
 30
 539

Scary Roads And Nice Plots

“Let me tell you a story, a story about a place filled with dark shadows. Shadows and voices, all of them will follow you, they will do all they can to pervade you and oppress you. Now, let me tell you of those that brave such a place. The Shadow Ponies.”

The voice was of an old stallion who spent his days on the Canterlot side of the Everfree forest, tormenting colts and fillies who tested their courage poking around the edges. And he never passed up on a chance to tell his tall tales of terror around the campfire. Just as he was doing now.

He was jade in coat, with a soft red man. His white beard and mustache had a few red hairs hiding in them. For the hurt Geiger who laid nearby, uninterested, his stories served as a distraction from the pain, a poor distraction, but good enough for now.

He was woken by the carriage stopping sharply right outside the Everfree, a truly startling sight. Since when was there a road through the Everfree? Well, since last month it seems. Some brave group of ponies had built an impressive stone road right through it, all without arousing attention. Which was totally possible right? The entrance alone seemed like something out of a draconic horror novel.

“Die Dark Strabe?” Geiger mumbled to himself once more.

That was what was written on the iron arch over the entrance. It was black and plain, yet seemed to add to the sense of forbidding that the forest emitted. It was alien to him. As was the fact that any road into the Everfree was even open to travelers. Well, the old stallion did say it was safe, and that there were guides dedicated to protecting travelers just in case, each one well trained for the task. Which was why they were waiting around this fire, listening to this old stallion torment some young colts and fillies. The nearby mass of homes between Canterlot and the forest seemed to be full of them.

The old stone cottages that made up a tiny village called South Canterlot, were well maintained. And though they didn’t show neglect, they did give off the same feeling as the arch, like they were a part of the spooky forest. Even the bright happy faces of the villagers couldn’t shake the shadow that seemed to hang over everything. Their spacing varied so widely that it was clear they weren’t built as part of a thought out layout, but rather a random build as you go style.

The road looked sturdy, as far as one could see since the thick branches of the trees blocked out the sun just a few meters down the road. Still, the whole idea seemed beyond sense. A road into the Everfree, a road not unknown as there was a three wagon train waiting right now, yet he had never heard of it. Sure he didn’t get out much, but something this big should’ve been a headliner everywhere.

“… And then, while the brave little filly was catching her breath, sure all was well. There then came from behind her, the long loud sound of a metal rake being dragged over the ground. And when she turned to look behind her. THERE WAS THE BLACK HOODED SHADOW PONY!” With a pause for gasp and a few screams. “And with a cackle, the shadow pony stood tall and swung its sharp clawed rake, felling the young filly with a single blow, her BLOOD CURDLING shriek still alive on the breeze.” With another pause. “AHHHHHHHHH!” The old stallion mimicked a filly shrieking bloody murder making the fillies and colts start with terror, their own screams dying down with the stallions laughter.

“NOOOOOO!” One foal squeaked out of terror as they tumbled backwards.

Geiger wasn’t much for such stories, though this one certainly seemed like an actual recounting of a gruesome murder, only it was from the village jackass. Indeed, from what the older ponies had said, the old stallion was a crude sort, though that didn’t keep anyone from being kind and visiting him. Geiger learned this himself.

“You look like you got bucked by a herd of buffalo!” The old stallion had said to him.

“Nope, just had some train trouble.” Geiger said unsure if he should even take offense.

“Looks about right, if it didn’t run you over, it must’ve spat you off the back.” The old stallion said as he sized up Geiger.

“Actually, I jumped.” Geiger replied.

“The prices of those tickets, am I right?” The old stallion chuckled.

From then on, they just sat next to each other watching as the ponies from the carriage set up a tent to rest. They were worried they had ran Geiger over when he crawled out from under their carriage, until Geiger assured them he looked like this before. Some hours later they still sat there as the younger ponies came to hear the old stallions stories.

“Here they come!” One of the wagon pullers shouted to his fellows.

And sure enough, there was a faint glow coming from down the road, which with each passing second grew brighter and brighter.

“Yonder survivors.” The old stallion mumbled to himself, just loud enough for the fillies and colts to hear as another ploy to frighten them.

Geiger sat up and watched as the robed guide stepped out from the tree line and put out their lamp. The guide pulled back its hood to reveal a young but stern looking stallion, who wasn’t a unicorn, but couldn’t be picked for either an earth pony or a pegasus. The guide carefully watched the single wagon and following ponies as they thanked him, and with more spring in their step, headed off for Canterlot.

The wagon train that had been waiting for a guide would have to wait longer as the guide said his shift was over and the next guide was on their way. He was going to wait nearby until the next guide showed up. He went over to a decent sized shack, clearly of recent build, there he set his lantern on a hook and began removing his cloak.

Geiger took this time to limp over and ask the guide more about the road.

“Hello, can you tell me about this road?” Geiger asked trying his best not to wobble in place.

“Not too darn much, but I’ll gladly answer what I can.” The guide, whose name it turns out is Trail Faust as the nametag on his collar became visible.

Trail Faust without his robe, was revealed to be an earth pony, his blue gray coat making his dark green mane look even darker. He spoke with a very slight accent, one that only could be heard when he mentioned longer words, or words with more syllables. It sounded slightly familiar to Geiger, though he wasn’t sure if he should ask such a question out of the tired guide. Faust wore a simple white button up shirt with his nametag, and a small pocket radio in the chest pocket.

“I guess I’ll start with the biggest one. How in the sweet cider is this not on the cover of every paper in all of Equestria?” Geiger asked, wanting to know how he was ignorant of something, more than whatever that something was.

“I guess no one told the press. Which is kind of good, means less traffic for us guides.” Faust said as he scratched his left ear.

“I suppose… though still, this is a big deal. What I have to ask next is, how?” Geiger said as he stared with all intent of hearing the answer, trying his best to ignore the pain in his shaky leg.

“Well, it took some real hardy ponies a few days of incredible hard work to do. Once they cleared the trees and leveled the path, they then placed the biggest thickest stone slabs they could get their hooves on, right over it. Laid them out from here to the other side of the entire forest, then they did the same back across. Made a four-way as aligned with each exit point most would want to travel to and from.” Faust said as he puffed his chest out with pride.

“Wow… So let me get this straight, they didn’t just build one long road going from Canterlot south, they built another?” Geiger continued as Faust nodded. “And they trained guides, which means there is some risk, right?”

With a sigh Faust replied. “Yes… but it’s a bit more complicated than that. Us guides are indeed there to keep any dangerous creatures back, but also keep the travelers calm, and keep them on the path. You see, its horribly dark in there, hence the name.”

“Die Dark Strabe…” Geiger said as Faust nodded.

“Yes, it means ‘The Dark Road’. It can make ponies loose themselves, that’s why guides are mandatory, aside from the dangers of the forest itself, you have ponies who are not used to the noises und darkness.” Faust finished trying his best not to yawn.

“That is some careful insight. Who trained you guides? They had to have known a lot about the forest.” Geiger said as he sat down, the effort to stand still embarrassingly taxing.

With a long yawn Faust replied; “Das alte grau Kriegsheld.” Then began walking off to get some sleep giving a light wave to the approaching cloaked guide replacement.

Geiger could only sit there, open mouthed and confused. Luckily for him, he didn’t have to wait very long as the next guide made themselves known, the cloak they bore was identical to the one Faust bore, so it must have been the customary apparel for guides. It was clear this one was a unicorn, as a pink field of magic lifted up a lantern and lit it. That plus the horn could be seen holding the hood up higher than normal.

With a greeting to the wagon pullers; “I’ll be your great and powerful guide through the dark and mysterious Everfree today.” Her voice gave off an air of high confidence which was slightly self superior, but tame enough to keep the wagon pullers from flat out rolling their eyes. Instead they simply smiled, glad to finally be on their way.

As the guide began towards the road, Geiger could spot her white mane, and blue muzzle beneath the cloak. He wanted to ask her a question or two, but decided not to hold her and the wagon train up any longer. Mostly because he found his body didn’t want to comply with him too much. And with all his might all he could do was drag himself back to the fire.

He wouldn’t be making this trip, not unless he road one of the wagons, and those pullers certainly would have told him to get lost, their wagons stacked with goods that certainly had plenty of weight enough. They had been waiting there for some time, even before Geiger had arrived, and it showed on their faces. They had an hour of light left before night added to the darkness which meant they would be traveling the Everfree at night. They didn’t seem to mind the idea, as they took off without hesitation after the guide.

“You wont be heading out with this group eh? Or are you sticking with that carriage you stowed away under?” The old stallion said as he gave a soft chuckle.

“I’ll take the next one, I’ve had enough with trains.” Geiger said as he lay down next to the fire.



“You know, I’ve lived here my whole life. I’ve literally spent every day and night right here on the edge of this forest. During that whole time, never once, did I imagine I would see a road through it. This forest was just too wild to tame, too full of all sorts of vicious things. Yet here I sit now, watching group after group travel through it.” The old stallion was saying.

Geiger just sat there recovering enough to follow the next guide. He sat for hours waiting, feeling better after eating with the old stallion. The villagers showed their kindness by regularly visiting and feeding the old stallion, even if he just got done giving their foals nightmares. Geiger didn’t understand why, maybe they felt pity, or respect of some sort?

“Now that I think about it, I thought a lot of things would never happen. I never thought Princess Luna would return from the moon. I never heard of the Crystal Empire. I never even thought I would see the day when ponies from far away visited this land.” The old stallion said.

“Ponies from far away? You mean like Saddle Arabia?” Geiger asked unsure what the stallion was getting at.

“No, even further away than that. The ones who built this road came from someplace very far away. They left their home in search of a brighter tomorrow, and must’ve found something in Equestria that would give it to them.” The old stallion said as he nodded to the road.

“What did they find?” Geiger asked.

“I don’t know. Whatever it was, they didn’t have it back home. If you just look in their eyes whenever they look around at Equestria, you can see something catch fire. That mysterious something is everywhere in Equestria, and nowhere back at their home.” The stallion said as he shifted his gaze towards a home where giggling fillies could be heard.

“Martha and I talked about having a family, we just didn’t get around to it in time. She used to get so mad when I would go out into the Everfree. She’d shout so loud; You better be back for dinner Compass, or so help you you’ll wish a manticore ate you! I never thought I’d miss those days.” Compass got finished saying as he began to space out.

“What happened?” Geiger asked cautiously.

“One day I was out gathering herbs and wood to trade like always, Martha was in the village. She loved to knit and paint, she’d take the plainest looking thing and made it look so alive and pretty. Well, on that day she was busy fixing up the square for a wedding, she wasn’t feeling too well, like she was getting a cold. I should have stayed with her, but I was just so set on getting enough money to start our family. She was getting worse they said, said she had a cold sweat and looked pale right before she passed out. She was so sick by the time the doctor got to her, there was nothing he could do.” Compass took a few seconds to compose himself.

“He told me she had this long named illness, that it had claimed her and the unborn foal, a colt. I was out in this damned forest dragging logs onto a cart while my wife and foal died. I was too stubborn to take the time to enjoy what I had. I never loved another, because there never was another like her.” Compass finished.

“Sweet… Holy… That’s just plain awful. I’m sorry, I had no idea.” Geiger said dumbfounded.

“It’s not your fault. It isn’t my fault either. She was so sick nothing could be done. I only wish I had gotten to say goodbye. I’ve since made peace with that. I’ve been sitting here watching as the ponies my age welcomed their grandchildren. I thought about how I’ll never have any of my own. But now, I guess I just look at them all as if they’re all my grandchildren. As such I try to do my best to look after them, tell them the stories my grand pappy told me, and when they get older, teach them what they need to know in order to make a living off this forest.” Compass said as he got up and start rooting through a bag Geiger hadn’t noticed before.

“I’m glad to hear you’re doing well despite that.” Geiger said as his curiosity was nagging him.

“Yep, well, I decided to be so open with you as a point of trust, but also…” Compass paused as he turned around a threw the hood of a guide cloak over his head. “I know you’ve got a story, and it’ll be good to hear it while we head down the road. My name is Golden Compass, and I’ll be your guide down The Dark Road today.” He finished the sentence by lighting a lantern and attaching it to a hook that itself was attached to a rod the was strapped to him.

“Wait… you’re a guide?!” Geiger said as he stood up open mouthed.

“Well duh! Come on, a stallion who’s lived near the Everfree his whole life, and used to venture in it to collect herbs and wood. Why wouldn’t I be a guide? And don’t say because I’m too old, cause that ain’t enough to stop this tough stallion from kicking a manticore’s teeth out.” Compass said as he began walking to the arch.

“It’s just a… shock. And… wait a minute. You mean you could’ve taken me down the road at any point?!” Geiger said as he gave the classic annoyed scientist face to Compass.

“For one, you weren’t in any shape to travel. Secondly, if you haven’t noticed, we have shifts as guides, not only because we need our rest, but because the road has a minimum capacity for travelers. It’s a safety feature. Oh, and as a bonus, some guides just happen to be specialist for daytime or nighttime traveling. I am a specialist of the latter. I might be up in years, but my eyes are keen as ever.” Compass said as he continued down the road.

“What makes this place any different at night?” Geiger said as he followed, his desire to know more always taking priority.

“Nocturnal critters, its extra dark and the fact wherever you are heading is going to be full of sleeping ponies, so you’ll need some extra help navigating further out as well as some information should you need any. I happen to know this great place in Ponyville.” Compass replied as he lead the way.

“What kind of critters?” Geiger asked.

“The kind you don’t want to play with. Now, if you don’t mind, tell me what made you jump off a train, ride under a carriage and follow some old timer into the deadliest forest on earth?” Compassed asked.

“It’s a long story, even though it only took a short time to get here.” Geiger said as his eyes began to adjust to the lantern as their sole source of light.

“It’s a dull long walk down this dark straight road, might as well share.” Compass said with a sly grin.

The road ahead was dark, all that could be seen was the trunks of massive trees and thick brush filling the gaps. The soft hoots of owls and the screeches of unknown creatures filled the cold moist air. The scent of rotting plant matter and strange wildflowers wafted up to greet them. Imposing, dark, scary and taboo all described the road ahead, despite that, they continued.



“So I stowed away under that carriage.” Geiger concluded.

“I don’t envy you any. That’s quite the tale there. I would think you made it up if I we’re looking at you. With that said, I have only one question. Why?” Compass said as his ears noticeably twitched under his hood in response to a noise.

“Why what?” Geiger asked his own ears swiveling about.

“Why of all things, did you send that letter? Why even tell anybody about your discovery if you felt it was too dangerous to play with?” Compass replied giving Geiger a look he couldn’t see from the shadow his hood cast.

“I… I don’t know. I really wasn’t thinking.” Geiger said as he looked down at the ground.

“You were able to think well enough to see the potentials of your discovery, so why couldn’t you see the rest coming?” Compass retorted.

“I guess I never imagined ponies doing any harm to each other intentionally or willingly. I always just thought only accidents happened.” Geiger replied feeling ashamed of his naivety.

“It’s foolish thinking indeed, but… You shouldn’t be faulted for it. I don’t want to live in a world where seeing the best in everyone is considered wrong and stupid. That wouldn’t do. After the time I spent with the guides, I learned that there’s darkness in this world the likes of which no pony should witness, let alone suffer. Equestria has it good Geiger, real good. Don’t ever forget that. I’m dead serious now, never ever forget what a wonderful place we got, with all its good ponies. If what you said is true, then you need to take your discovery to the grave.” Compass finished and stopped.

“Because Equestria is a great place, we don’t need the positives, as nice as they might be. So why take the risk?” Compass said as his hooded gaze locked on Geiger’s.

“There is no reason, none that properly justify the risk. I just couldn’t help myself. I saw a question, and had to answer it. I just had to. I couldn’t stop myself from trying. And now, I’ve caused so much trouble.” Geiger said as he shook his head.

“We all make mistakes. We all earn regrets. Don’t get to thinking this is all your fault. If other ponies weren’t so bent on getting your discovery, the trouble would’ve ended with you working off a debt.” Compass’ words coming out like a father who felt bad for scolding his child.

“I just want it to be over.” Geiger said with a sigh.

“Well, we’re almost finished, just up ahead of us is Ponyville. In town there’s this place called Sugar Cube corner, why don’t you get yourself something nice there? You‘ve certainly earned it.” Compass said as he continued leading.

“Really? Already?” Geiger said as he followed.

“Yep. Now you see why I’m a guide. Aside from knowing how to handle the forest, I know how to keep ponies minds off the darkness and noises of the Everfree. My stories keep things running smoothly.” Compass said not at all sounding smug… no really.

“Wait, why are we in Ponyville… well going to be in. I never told you where I wanted to go.” Geiger asked.

“I figured on taking some initiative. You needed a good day, and if there is only one thing you ever get to know about Ponyville, it is that the place is guaranteed to put a smile on your face, well, when there isn’t some disaster afoot which is often. That plus I know a friend who is staying there. They might be able to help you out.” Compass said as the faint light of dawn was visible shining through a familiar iron arch.

“Who is this friend?” Geiger said feeling light on his hooves.

“They’re one of the ponies who built this road. So I have little doubt you need more elaboration when I say you’ll notice them easily enough. Really has a way of standing out.” Compass said avoiding use of pronouns and any easily describable feature like color, size, wings or horn.

“So… They either really standout, or they’ll find me?” Geiger said confused by the lack of information.

“You’re pretty curious, you should have little trouble finding them. If not, then I suppose you’ll have to wait for them.” Compass said as he threw his hood back and took a deep breath while stepping into the dawn light beyond the arch.

“Just keep heading straight down the little dirt path and you’ll be in Ponyville. Smile at the locals, and keep an eye out for my friend. Most important of all, have a great day.” Compass said as he walked off towards a small shack that had a number of hanging lanterns similar to the one he just put out.

“Compass, I just want to thank you. You said some things I needed to hear. And left out important details to make up for it. All the same, thanks.” Geiger said before turning and heading towards Ponyville.

“No, thank you Geiger. You’ve shown these old bones that they still can carry a proud stallion through the forest.” Compass said only to himself deciding he was going to sign onto the roster as an active guide rather than a spare.

He had sat by that fire long enough. With ponies like Geiger out there, always having new adventures, why couldn’t he? He wasn’t finished yet, no, Martha would have to wait, he had knowledge and skills to offer, just as Geiger did. If someone way in over their head could get up and go, he had no excuse not to do the same.

Figuring that Compass said all he would say, Geiger continued down the path. It only took a minute before he could see Ponyville. A few more minutes as he got closer and the suns light began to illuminate the town, he was finally able to enjoy a better view of it. Another minute his steps found themselves echoing in the mostly empty streets, save a few ponies that were starting their day.

Just as Compass had said, Geiger got a smile and wave to match his from everyone he saw. As the minutes passed more and more ponies began to fill the streets, their day just beginning. Though their day was just beginning, Geiger’s day was half over. All he had to do was relax a bit, catch his second wind, find Compass’ friend and see what help he could get.

As the minutes turned into an hour, Geiger found himself just smiling. The warm atmosphere of the town just sucking him up in a hug. He hadn’t felt this good since he got his grant to do his research. Just thinking about that grant snapped him out of the daze he was in. He knew relaxing was a good idea, but he wanted to find that pony Compass spoke of. Try as he might, he couldn’t spot any standout pony, well, one that really stood out. There was some characters in that town, but none who looked like a tough enough pony to build a road through the most dangerous forest ever.

He began walking down each and every road searching out this pony. All he could find was a few more odd ponies, one muscular pegasus who looked tough enough, but screamed like a filly when a butterfly landed on his face. Further wandering down the alley ways he had yet to search, he saw nothing. No random debris no homeless ponies hiding in the shadows, just trash bins. It was most different from the cities he had been in. The populace especially different. From a unicorn who sat oddly, to a delivery mare with crazy eyes, the town was full of odd ponies who seemed so very content.

The construction looked no more advanced than South Canterlot. Yet some of the ponies seemed to have a more modern community with the tools to match. And standing out quite a lot, was the castle of the Princess of Friendship. It truly stood apart from the town, yet seemed welcome in its difference. He didn’t know much about it, only that last year the castle appeared after the mass loss of magic in Equestria.

He was about to give up, until he spotted a large gray mass slipping down one of the alleys from across the street in front of him. There was only one pony he had ever seen that was that large, even taller than the muscular pony. The gray coat was damning evidence that a very odd and tough pony he had previously met was there. Could Sir really be the very same pony Compass spoke of? He certainly fit the description.

Geiger was certainly about to find out. He quickly ran to catch up, carefully turning the corner so as not to run into Sir. Instead he found he was further behind than he thought. It took him some wrong turns before he found his way. Before him some distance away was Sir standing behind a building waiting for someone. Geiger figured this meant he was waiting for him, but before he could take one step out of the alley, another pony appeared and joined Sir.

She was just as tall as he was with the same sized wings, only her mane and coat were the reverse of his. At least they were until Sir transformed into a changling.

“Well, what have you to report Alter?” The large mare said as she sat down.

“I did as you asked, I went to the Crystal Empire and through Manehatten, then made a stop in Canterlot, lower not the heights. I talked to everyone you said to, and delivered everything.” Alter said, now half the size he used to be.

“And?” The mare asked cocking her head.

“It went smoothly, aside from an unexpected encounter. I also noticed some eyes watching, though they weren’t for me, they were watching this odd unicorn who I ran into twice. A nervous scientist on the run.” Alter said as he stretched a little.

“Really? Well then, you’ll have to tell me more.” The mare said un-cocking her head and perking her bat pony ears up to listen to Alter.

“He was researching the relation between names and cutie mark talents. A subject one would think was full of interested minds, considering the overwhelming coincidences. However, he was the lone scientist on the project, and when he finally made his discovery, he decided it was nothing worth sharing least the risk come to fruition.” Alter said standing perfectly still.

“Continue.” The mare said possibly blinking for the first time since Geiger first saw her.

“He however, forgot he was conducting his research thanks to a grant, from the Royal Treasury. And with his skipping out of town and destroying his research documents, he became a prime target for the Collections Agency and their oddly well trained collectors.” Alter continued, still unmoving.

“What more can you tell me of this discovery?” The mare asked leaning lower to Alter.

“He didn’t say enough about it. I did notice he was running from the Hospital. So maybe there’s a connection. I regret I have nothing left to report.” Alter said, his unmoving stance so unmoving that he appeared like a well painted statue.

“What all did you divulge to this scientist?” The mare asked as she narrowed her eyes.

“As I found similarities between the scientist Magic Geiger’s story and the one of Sir’s, the name I gave him to call me by, I told him what I knew of Sir. A scientist who was caught in a cycle of violence who left his home in search of peace. The truth as much as was possible. I did have to improvise names, naming bombs cake and other arsenal with likewise desserts. I believe had you been there you would have been impressed with how well I played my part.” Alter said finally moving, seeming to be uncomfortable with the mares eyes being narrowed in a slightly accusing manner.

“I trust you performed excellently. That’s the whole reason I sent you. Though words of this scientist and the implications presented surrounding his discovery do trouble me. As if I didn’t have enough to worry about.” The mare said as she rubbed a hoof against her forehead.

“You’re dismissed Alter. Thank you for all you’ve done.” The mare said as she stood up and gave a light bow.

“No, thank you my Lady. It has been an honor to serve you.” Alter said as he gave such a low bow his face almost met the ground, then he stood upright and took off at a brisk pace.

The mare stood there a bit longer alone, he expression blank, but her gaze clearly showing deep thought. Geiger also stood where he was, unsure if he should approach her. Between the fact Sir was a changling portrayal, and that this mare was both important and involved in matters, now considering Geiger himself as a new matter of interest, all made him very hesitant. On the other hoof, if he didn’t talk to her, who else in the whole town could possibly be Compass’ helpful friend? Whom was he to seek for aid in escaping with his discovery to a location where it would die with him?

He didn’t have to debate any longer as the mare was now standing in front of him, and with a poke to his nose, got his attention.

“You must be Magic Geiger, my name is Vera and I must say it’s good to see you.” Vera said as she gave a warm but fang filled smile to Geiger.

Geiger knew from experience that he wouldn’t be able to outrun her, or even a young foal for that matter. He also knew that things with sharp fangs shouldn’t be trusted, yet seemed to be helpful to him. Finally, he concluded that she was right in front of him leaving him no choice as he was taking too long to answer her simple question. Even though her face held the smile as she stood patiently, she was someone of authority as Alter had hinted with his words and disposition towards her. Whoever she was to Alter and the rest of Equestria, for Geiger she was his dark stained ray of hope.

“I be Geiger Doctor… I mean. I am Doctor Geiger Miss Vera.” Geiger said confused and then unsure. Should he bow?

“Very well. Seems you saved me the trouble of looking for you. Compass was sure you’d get lost, then stumble upon me while searching out the answer as to why this town is full of odd ponies. The answer by the way is; Because they had no where better to be.” Vera said still wearing the warm smile of someone who had to go around smiling all the time.

“So she is Compass’ friend.” Geiger thought before speaking once more.

“Well Miss Vera, it is convenient that we meet, even if a bit startling. I am told you could help me find a way out of here and into a nice quiet grave somewhere far away.” Geiger said, not sure what he was thinking or feeling, only that he was acting on instinct hoping for the best.

“Into a grave? Huh… You certainly picked the right pony to talk about that.” Vera said with a smirk as she seemed to drift off in thought for a second.

“You wish to leave behind Equestria, the most wonderful of places, and take with you your scientific discovery. You then hope to take this to the grave, as you perish either from age or other natural causes I am to assume? If I weren’t any wiser, I would consider your endeavor a foolish one. But hey, I know what it is to leave everything behind for some purpose or another.” Vera spoke as she circled around Geiger.

“So you’ll help me?” Geiger asked sitting perfectly still like a rabbit trying to hide from a wolf.

“I will. But, not so easy as that. No, I consider my time precious and thus obviously seek something of compensation. As for what, we’ll come to that later.” Vera said before stopping and lowering her head to look Geiger directly in the eye. “For now though, lets work on preparations. If you’ll follow me.” She said before backing up and about-facing, then preceding to walk down an alley.

Uneasily, Geiger followed her. Where, he did not know, nor why. All he knew was that she was going to help him, as to how and at what cost, he could not fathom. She seemed dangerous, much like Sir had, only she felt more dangerous. Unlike Sir, she had a charm to her, a certain allure. It was hard to explain, hard to pinpoint. Her smile was kind, warm and friendly even. Her wings were larger than normal for a pegasus, to scale, not just because she was as big as the life sized statue of Celestia. Her mane bounced as she walked, its slight curl bobbed without unfurling even in the slightest.

She looked decent enough, aside from sheer size difference, she was a pretty mare with an air that was gentle and confident. Even when she gave Alter her stern gaze, there wasn’t a sense of malice. At least, there wasn’t from where Geiger stood. When he looked into her eyes just seconds ago did he actually notice them. Their deep blue had a glow of warmth, but deeper into those eyes felt cold. Like being swallowed by an ocean. Then there was her fangs, those could never be seen without a primal fear being awoken. Their sharpness and length clearly not meant for a vegetarian.

She was beautiful and frightening all at once. Maybe this was her charm? Then again, even before he saw her fangs and eyes, did he get this feeling. Her flank which was now before him had a confident attractive sway as she walked. He was embarrassed to look at her from this angle, so thankful her tail swayed in perfect harmony with her steps. As much as he didn’t want to be staring at her rear, he found himself not even trying to look away. In fact, he was trying to see it more clearly. To look upon her cutie mark. He never saw Sir’s, which might be due to Alter neglecting it. As for Vera, he could see only bits of it.

Unfavorable as fate is, he found her flank growing in size. It took his brain only too long to realize she had stopped walking. His momentum was ended as he face smacked into her rear thigh. Worse still, had fate decided to show mercy, none was spared for Geiger. He stood there with his face buried in her thigh, his brain unable to comprehend what was going on. He stood for what felt like an eternity, his breath held as his brain was putting together the pieces.

Instead of being punished any further, he found the flank before him shrinking once more as its owner pressed on. His brain finally caught up, began to bark orders to his limbs, telling them to carry it forward after her. So awkwardly, the red faced Geiger moved forward, following Vera down the street, his brain only able to do that for him. It was still running at half power, otherwise it would have reminded him how to properly walk and how to maintain social grace. The positive of this was that he didn’t notice the eyes that followed him, the witnesses of his faux pas who stood watching in silence.

Those who had witnessed stared for a bit before returning to their routine, those who had not gave a passing glance, not focused on Vera, but Geiger. Vera having been there for a length of time unknown to Geiger, had already established herself as common, being more familiar to the locals and thus given less interest. At least, when it came to stares. On the way wherever she was leading him, she was stopped several times by the locals who had questions and request of her.

The whole time she stood patiently with the same smile, her disposition never changing. Her pace was constant, her sway in perfect rhythm and her eyes locked forward. For Geiger, it only served to arouse his curiosity, which was ever ravenous. He could hardly suppress his desire to inquire, only his silent quest to see her cutie mark kept him from speaking. He managed to see all of it as she made a right turn.

He saw a flag, a book, a shield and a heart, all wrapped around a half circle of white connected to a half circle of black, with three stripes running through the other of opposite color. Surrounding this complex circle of black and white was a gold ring with gear indentions. It was the most complex looking thing he ever saw in terms of a cutie mark. Her name was Vera, but her cutie mark suggested something lengthy as her name, maybe Vera was an acronym?

He continued to think of this as he followed her, mindful this time of her sudden stopping, if possible, even more ponies stopped her with questions and request than earlier. Though they hadn’t been walking long, for Geiger it seemed like they had at least went from one end of town to another.

“Here we are.” Vera announced jolting Geiger out of his thoughts.

Before him was a quaint sweet shop, the sign notifying him that it was in fact the sugar cube corner Compass had told him of. Why they were here made little sense to Geiger, but as he learned, not everything ponies did made sense, least of all in this town and of giant ponies with fangs.

“What are we doing here?” Geiger asked, surprised at how quiet his voice sounded.

“You’ve been out of it. Lost in thought perhaps? We’re here for some of that R&R as in recommended relaxation. Come on.” Vera said as she entered.

Ready to argue the unnecessary break, Geiger gave pursuit. He entered the shop not far behind her, the wave of fresh baked sweets that washed over him bludgeoned him into submission as he slunk into the booth opposite Vera.

“I thought we were making preparations?” Geiger said as his mouth began to water.

“You really were lost in space. I already did. I called in a few favors and had to ask a few myself. Why do you think we went all over town?” Vera said in a humored tone wearing the same smile.

“I had no idea honestly. I guess I checked out for a few minutes. This all seems so surreal.” Geiger said as he looked around at a few tables.

He spotted three fillies who were huddled together, their discussion was in poorly hushed whispers.

“So its settled, we do it tonight while everyone is sleeping.” The orange coated one said to the others.

“I have the bucket and the potion.” The yellow coated one replied.

“Are you sure this will be safe?” The white coated one asked.

“Yes I’m sure, you wanna get it right?” The orange one said.

“Of course I do, its just after last time.” The white one replied.

“What she means to say; is that our plans don’t always turn out so well. Remember hearts and hooves day?” The yellow interjected.

That’s all of their conversation Geiger got to hear before Vera slide a menu in front of him.

“Pick something, anything, pick a dozen things for all it matters. Start enjoying yourself.” Vera said as she gave a different smile, one that didn’t seem so forced.

“Why are you always smiling?” Geiger asked her, finally unable to deny his curiosity some reprieve.

“The same reason you’re always asking questions. Because I must. Ever see a wolf smile? How about a manticore? No? What about a timber wolf? Aside from being friendly, it’s far less intimidating.” Vera replied as she waved to a mare in the back.

“That’s all?” Geiger asked taking notice of the mare as she smiled and waved.

“Maybe. I don’t see how it matters. Its not easy to constantly keep a face, but it is better than the alternative. I am said to be of stern appearance. Anyway, what about you? Why do you space out?” Vera said as she looked out the window.

“I was thinking, I obviously have a lot to think about.” Geiger snapped.

“Obviously you do. But the fact you were in a trance of thought means you’re out of focus. Something pressing on your mind so much, that you left your body on auto-pilot.” Vera said not in the least bit bothered.

“You. You’re… just look at you!” Geiger said feeling confused again.

“What about me?” Vera said looking at Geiger.

“You’re… this fanged giant. An enigma. And then there is Sir. Who the hell was Alter supposed to be?” Geiger said about to explode.

“Someone from long ago. A foolish stallion who made mistakes. He’s not alive anymore. He and I are from the same place, far, far away. I asked Alter to take on his appearance to settle some of his affairs.” Vera said, her smile gone.

Without her smile she appeared older and tired. She definitely looked stern, almost sad.

“Ok. But, why? Who was this stallion to you?” Geiger asked.

“It’s not your place to ask. You know all you need to.” Vera said in the same voice she had been using, only now the tone felt different.

“Ok then. Though I don’t know where we’re going.” Geiger replied feeling like he had earned a demerit.

“As far as you can.” Vera said regaining her smile in time for the mare from the back to reach their booth.

Geiger pointed to a few things on the menu as she took the order. The mare whose name was Mrs. Cake, held her own smile and nodded quietly in turn. She then disappeared behind the counter. Leaving Geiger and Vera in the quiet store. The three fillies from earlier had disappeared off to whatever plots they had formulated.

“What is it like… your home?” Geiger asked breaking the silence.

“A little like this place. A little bit of everything thrown together. Ponies, gryphons, zebras and even dragons all living together. But that’s about it. It’s not nearly so peaceful and pleasant as Equestria. Most of the time.” Vera replied keeping her slightly faux smile pasted.

“What brought you here?” Geiger said as he shifted in his seat.

“A ship.” Vera said with a soft laugh as her smile took on true warmth.

Geiger didn't understand why ponies wore fake smiles, or why they moved from so far away into the unknown. He couldn't understand it, but something about it felt relatable. Maybe life itself was a science?