• Published 15th Feb 2014
  • 4,762 Views, 106 Comments

Rainbow Bouquets and Mayday Parades - FamousLastWords



Spike likes Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash might like him back. He decides it's time to ask her out!... as soon as he figures out how.

  • ...
9
 106
 4,762

2nd Sucks

“Twilight!”

The unicorn in question jumped from her seat on the living room couch as her dragon assistant bulldozed through the front door.

“Spike? What’s wrong?!”

“I have a problem!” He flopped on the couch next to Twilight, attempting to catch his breath. He had been flying full speed the entire distance back to the library.

“A problem?” Twilight was perplexed as to what could be wrong. Heavy panting, eyes wide with panic… this could be serious! “What is it, Spike? How can I help?”

He began rubbing the back of his head. “Well, it’s uhh, kinda awkward to talk about…” A blush seared his cheeks.

Oh Celestia… It couldn’t be THAT kind of problem could it? I thought Fluttershy already had the talk with him… No, I’m sure it’s completely innocent. Twilight was able to resume regular breathing after calming herself down.

“… and, well, it involves Rainbow Dash.”

“R-Rainbow Dash?” Twilight said with a quivering voice.

“Yea… it’s a pretty serious situation, Twi.”

Her thoughts went on a carnival ride. Oh no… Please don’t tell me that he… and Rainbow... Did they? Is that what they’ve been doing every Friday?! *gasp* What if she’s pregnant, and he’s coming to me for advice? What do I say?! Oh Spike…

Twilight’s face was frozen in a look of disbelief, staring into the distance as her thoughts were commanding full attention from every part of her mind. With the sound of a dragon’s fingers snapping by her ear, she was able to return to the real world. “Okay, Spike. Be calm. I understand this is difficult, but I promise you and Rainbow will have my full support and help with whatever you need!” She leaned over and locked him in a tight hug.

“Umm, thanks Twi. This crush I have on her is really taking a toll on me. I’m not even sure how to tell her!”

“Crush?” She pulled away from the embrace.

“Well yea, it started awhile back, and the more time we spent together, the more I liked her.” He shot her a quizzical look. “What did you think I was talking about?”

“Umm, well, never mind that. But that’s great! Rainbow is wonderful mare.” She gave Spike a heartwarming smile, whilst taking her thoughts down from red alert.

“I know! She’s everything I could ever want.” He let out a large sigh. “But that’s the problem! I don’t know how to approach someone with her… awesomeness! Like, when’s the right moment?”

Twilight took a quick moment to glance over Spike. He had grown up. He was a handsome young drake, and he was falling in love. She was proud.

“Spike, you’re pretty awesome yourself, so don’t for a second doubt yourself. Anybody would be fortunate to have you. But, I’m gonna give you some advice I learned once.”

“What is it?”

“If you keep waiting for the right moment to happen, it never will. You’re going to have to make it happen.”

“Make it happen?”

“Yes. If you keep waiting, it’s gonna be too late. And I’m sure you don’t want to have to see Rainbow with someone else, do you?”

“No way!” Those words settled it. “Do you honestly think she’ll want to be with me? I mean, I am a dragon after all.”

“True, you are a dragon. But you’re also Rainbow’s best friend. I can’t say what will happen, but I know you’ll live to regret it if you don’t try.” She gave him a sweet smile.

Spike quickly got up and headed for the door. He knew what he had to. “Hey, Twilight? What time does the flower stand close?”

* * * * * *

Spike was browsing through the vast selection of floral gifts at Roseluck’s stand. He wasn’t sure if flowers were exactly Rainbow’s thing, but it seemed like a safe bet.

“Do you need any help?” Roseluck questioned, a cheery grin upon her face.

“Well, I suppose I do,” Spike replied, glancing from flower to flower. “I’m trying to pick out a bouquet for a very special mare. I’m just not sure what to choose!”

“Well, flowers are definitely an excellent way to win over a mare! How about you tell me what makes her so special, and we can go from there.”

“Alright, that sounds good.” What does make her special? There’s so much! “Well, for starters, she’s got a fiery personality that just, like, grows on you. But she also has a kind of natural charm that’s impossible to resist!”

“Hmm…” Roseluck glanced around her stall for a moment before bringing out a fiery orange flower and a green one as well. “Well, I think this Marigold and Zinnia would perfectly match the fire and charm you love.”

“Yea, those would be awesome!” Let’s see, what else do I like? “I also love her bright outlook on everything. No matter what’s going on, she always makes me smile and brings out the best in everything.”

“Oh, that’s sweet, Spike.” She gave the young dragon a smile, and brought out a yellow flower this time. “This daffodil is just right!”

“That will be great! But, you know,” he rubbed his chin in thought, “although she has a tough, proud exterior, she has a very sweet and vulnerable side to her as well. It’s very endearing.”

The floral seller rummaged through her merchandise and set out an indigo shaded tulip and a delicate blue snapdragon. “I think these should do nicely!”

“Thanks, Roseluck. But there’s also the simplest reason of all that I like her. She’s beautiful. She doesn’t have to wear makeup, or spend hours in the bathroom to enhance her appearance. She has a natural prettiness.”

“Well in that case, this Violet is what you need!” She put the flower with the others that had been chosen for the bouquet. “Is that it, Spike?”

“Actually, there’s one last flower I need. A rose!” Spike picked out a perfect, red rose and placed it with the other flowers. “Twilight once said that the rose represents true love and passion. And, to be honest, I believe I’m falling in love with Rainbow Dash!”

“Well, Spike. Rainbow is one lucky mare.” She gave him a compassionate smile and a quick wink.

Spike felt his cheeks burn at the compliment. “Thanks so much for all your help!” Spike handed over the appropriate amount of bits and wrapped up the special bouquet. “Wish me luck!”

With that, Spike took a running start and jumped into the air. It was time to make the moment happen, and win the mare he loved!

Hopefully…

Author's Note:

Well, here's chapter two! btw, bonus points for anyone who know the band that the chapter title is based from :raritywink: