• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 3,206 Views, 297 Comments

Ernest Saves Equestria - Emerald Harp



Three visitors unknowingly blunder into Equestria. A troll flees the world of man to fulfill his heinous ambition in the land of ponies. The second is a beagle who would follow his master anywhere. And the last visitor is the juggernaut of Earth.

  • ...
13
 297
 3,206

The Value of a One-Legged Cat

Twilight smiled as she looked at herself in the mirror. With Rarity’s help, they had made a very convincing Clover the Clever costume. True, it was not as ornate as her Starswirl the Bearded robes, but it had its own simple charms. As she adjusted her tan traveler’s cloak, her eyes locked on the reflection of a large book on a nearby table. The alicorn’s mood changed from joy to melancholy. She picked up the book with her magic and absently flipped through it.

“Hey, what do you think of my costume? Do you think Rarity will like it?”

Twilight looked up to see Spike had painted himself dark green. “And what are you supposed to be?”

“An emerald. This costume is easy for me to pull off because I don’t have to paint my stomach.” Spike was about to say more when he saw that his friend was holding Ernest’s book. “Are you still upset that he left that here?”

Twilight nodded. “I should have made sure he had this with him. Now he has to explain to Old Lady Hackmore why he doesn’t have her book.”

Spike looked at the picture depicted in the book. It showed a grotesque troll holding a wooden doll high over its head in front of a warped tree. “Hey Twilight, do you think Ernest was telling the truth about those trolls he fought in his world?”

“Well, I learned a lot from our trip to the Crystal Empire. Before we left, I spent some time in the library. I found an ancient tome describing the history of King Sombra and his allies during the Crystal Heart Wars. There was indeed a tribe of trolls that he corrupted.”

“But he banished them to Tartarus, didn’t he?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, Spike, he didn’t. The trolls were decimated during the siege of the Crystal Empire. The Crystal Heart killed almost all the trolls during the fighting. When Sombra finally wrested control of the Crystal Empire from the two sisters, only one troll out of the thousands survived. But this lone survivor was powerful beyond measure.”

A block of ice began to form in Spike’s stomach. “What happened to the troll?”

“Thinking he was victorious, he rewarded his champion. Sombra opened a door to another world so that the troll could conquer it and rule it for himself. Soon after his champion left, the two sisters retook the Crystal Empire and banished Sombra.”

“Do you think Trantor and the troll from the Crystal Heart Wars is one and the same?”

“I don’t know Spike. But there is a legend that the librarian told me. She said that Sombra gave this troll a book of all his spells before sending him through the portal. If the legend is true, then the troll in theory could find its way back here.”

Spike gulped and stared at the page.

Panicked knocking on the door startled the scared dragon.

“Ms. Twilight, I mean, Princess Twilight. I need your help. Please!” The voice from outside the library was very frantic.

From across the room Twilight opened the door and frowned. “Diamond Tiarra?”

The pink earth pony’s eyes were wide with fear “I, I think something happened to Silver Spoon. Something grabbed her and turned her into a doll.”

In a calm voice that did not betray her rising apprehension, she asked “Spike, could you bring me Ernest’s book please.”

Nodding, the baby dragon obeyed and brought the large tome over to his friend.

“Is this what you saw?” asked Twilight.

The filly at first winced at the unpleasant picture, but soon her gaze focused on the troll and the doll held in its hand. “Yeah, this pony’s costume looked a lot like this. And this guy had a huge basket full of wooden pony dolls. They were of ponies from here in Ponyville. I know this sounds crazy but these dolls looked exactly like Silver Spoon, that cranky donkey, Matilda . . .”

Twilight held up a hoof. She had heard enough. “Where did you see this pony?”

“In the hay maze. He was coming from Granny Smith’s apple bobbing stand.”

Twilight turned and looked at her pet who was perched on a nearby tree branch, listening to every word. “Owlowiscious, I need you to find Fluttershy. Tell her to meet me at Sugarcube Corner. I know this is Nightmare Night, but tell her this is important.”

Nodding, the owl took off through an open window.

“Spike, you get Rarity. I’ll find Rainbow Dash and Pinkie. We’ll meet at Granny Smith’s apple bobbing stand. Hopefully, Applejack will be there.”

“Why don’t we just find this thing and douse it with milk? Isn’t that what Ernest did?” Spike suggested.

Twilight nodded. “Good idea Spike. We’ll stop by some of the ice cream stands on the way. I don’t want to destroy this troll if we can avoid it, but we should be prepared for the worst.”

“What should I do?” Diamond Tiara asked.

Twilight thought for a moment before saying, “I need you to find Scootaloo.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Rotnart’s grip tightened on the rubber spider in his sweaty hand. Before him was a net, a mere twenty feet away from him. The stakes-- bragging rights for this year’s Nightmare Night spider throw. He needed to hurl this sorry excuse for an arachnid at the dead center of the sticky bull’s eye.

“Hurry up, Rotnart. Throw the thing already. We got loads more to do after this,” squeaked Pip.

The troll ignored the foal and drew back his arm to throw the eight-legged projectile.

(Cough).

The noise completely threw off the troll’s aim, and he missed the target completely. He rounded on Princess Luna. “You did that on purpose!”

Feigning shock, the alicorn replied, “What? Friend Rotnart, how could you accuse me of such trickery? It was mere coincidence. I needed to clear my throat the moment you were taking your turn. You believe me, don’t you?”

The troll glared at her for a few more moments, but he could not stop himself from laughing. “Trantor’s nuts. I would have done the same thing. Well played.”

As the other ponies cheered their princess, Rotnart received an irritating message from the Pony of Shadows. “What are you doing?”

The troll rolled his eyes. “What the hell does it look like? I’m blending in.”

“No, you’re not. You’re wasting time having fun with children. Your father would be ashamed of you.”

“Well, his opinion doesn’t count for much since he’s dead. And what’s wrong with having some fun while I work on world domination?” The troll king winced. He had said that a bit too loud, and some of the other ponies were looking at him in a funny way.

“Do not let these creatures sway you from the path you’re on. When one has power, true power, friends will come to you. I guarantee it.”

In a quieter voice, Rotnart replied, “Yeah, whatever. Why don’t you pester my brother for a change?”

The voice hesitated before replying. “I can’t”

“You’re kidding. Okay, I’ll bite. Why not?”

“I know not. I can’t establish a mental connection. I assumed he at least possessed the cognitive faculties of a newt, but I was mistaken.”

The troll wanted to tear his hair out in frustration. But instead, he took a deep breath and asked, “Where is he?”

“I know not that either. I only see and hear what you see and hear.”

Before Rotnart could berate his ally, he felt a tapping on his leg. He looked down and saw Pip.

“Who are you talking to?”

“No one important, special, or useful in any way. What do you need?”

“Some of my class mates say there’s this one bloke in the middle of town selling really life-like wooden pony dolls. Me and princess Luna are going to check this guy out. Are you coming?”

Rotnart’s eyes started to twitch uncontrollably. “Like a filly in heat.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Bon Bon looked at Lyra and sighed. She was hoping her best friend would perk up during the Nightmare Night celebration. Sadly, this had not been the case. Lyra hadn’t been herself since a couple days ago when she saw that pony dressed as a human. She was still so adamant that the pony at the bakery was a legit human that she had done her best to copy his costume. Garbed in denim pants and vest and wearing a strange-looking hat, she got plenty of looks. Some even recognized the costume from a couple of days ago.

To try and lighten her friend’s mood, she suggested, “Hey Lyra, I hear there’s somepony selling top-notch pony figures at Filthy Rich’s booth. You wanna check it out?”

Her friend shrugged, “Sure, I guess.”

Shortly thereafter, Bon Bon and Lyra found themselves at the end of a long, slow-moving line.

“Wow, this guy must be really popular.”

Lyra nodded absently as the line crept forward at a snail’s pase. Eventually, Lyra caught sight of one of the dolls that was sold to an ecstatic foal.

The child laughed with delight. “I can’t believe how much this doll looks like grandpa, mommy.”

The mother smiled. “I know, sweetheart. We need to show this to him.”

For some reason Lyra began to feel uncomfortable. There was something off about that doll. It seemed almost too life-like, and the look of terror carved into the doll’s face was chilling. But then again, it was Nightmare Night. Things were supposed to be scary.

Finally, the pair of ponies made it to within shouting distance of the booth. And that was when Lyra beheld the merchants. She recognized the smug, greasy features of Filthy Rich, but that was not what was causing the blood to drain from her face. Grabbing her friend, Lyra pointed at the thing handing a doll to another happy customer. “Bon Bon, that’s a troll.”

Lifting the shades of her “Ponies in Black” costume, Bon Bon looked at the ugly merchant. “Is that what he’s dressed as? I thought he was a short orc.”

“No, I mean he’s really a troll.” Dropping her voice to a whisper, she continued, “I think he’s turning ponies into dolls to create a troll army. He must have warped one of the trees in the Everfree Forest. Those trees are very old and more suited to being converted into an incubator.”

Bon Bon looked at her friend and laughed. “And I thought you were only crazy when it came to humans.”

“Darn it, I’m being serious.”

The earth pony closed her eyes and sighed. “I was hoping you were not going to say that. Lyra, I love you, but you are going to have to dial back your enthusiasm for weird stuff. I mean, listen to yourself. Trolls can’t use magic to turn ponies into dolls and warp trees.”

Lyra nodded. “I know. But there was this one tribe of trolls a long time ago who Sombra corrupted that did just that. And the thing up there looks just like one. He looks exactly like the pictures in my books that I got from the Crystal Empire.”

“Okay, look. As long as you don’t try to kidnap him and take him to Canterlot like you did with that “human” a couple of days ago, there won’t be a problem. I’m going up there and getting one of those freaky-looking dolls. Are you coming with me or not?”

“No. We should be getting help. That troll is dangerous.”

Bon Bon shook her head in bewilderment. “No, he’s not. That is somepony dressed up to look like a troll. Just like that pony was in Sugarcube Corner. I’ll tell you what. You stay here while I go buy myself a doll. Okay?”

Before Lyra could answer, the line moved forward, and to her surprise, they were face to face with the troll.

“Well hello, opos--- I mean poynays . . . did I say that right that time?” the troll asked, looking to Filthy Rich.

The other pony shrugged. “Eh, close enough.”

This seemed to please the Rabuf.

“Everything here is marked down for the low, low price of 50 bits per miniature. Plus tax,” Filthy stated in a giddy voice.

Both ponies looked at the dolls, but only Lyra could see the evil that was before her. She recognized students from Cheerilee’s class, tenants from the old folks home, friends and ponies she had seen in passing: all were represented on the table. The unicorn had to fight to keep the rising horror she felt in her chest from showing on her face.

“Hey, this one looks just like Colgate,” Bon Bon noted happily as she examined the statue.

The troll rubbed his black eye. “Yeah, that one was a pain to make.”

“I’ll take it. How do you make these?” asked the mystified earth pony. “They look so life-like, and I know she was wearing this exact toothpaste costume tonight. How’d you carve this so fast?”

Rabuf shrugged. “It ain’t hard. Hey boss, can I show her?”

Filthy nodded as he counted Bon Bon’s bits. “Make it quick.”

Lyra’s ears perked up at this. “Bon Bon, no! He’ll get you too.”

Filthy Rich sneered down at the mint-colored unicorn. “Hey, if you ain’t buying, get out of the line.”

Latching onto her friend so that she couldn’t leave, Lyra snarled at the duded-up pony. “How can you stand there and let him turn us into wooden dolls?”

The crowd started to talk amongst themselves and give the mint-coated pony strange looks.

Filthy let out a hearty belly laugh. “Aw Lyra, you’re a hoot. This fine fella isn’t a troll. He’s just . . . different. And besides, Trolls can’t use magic. Hey, why don’t you tell us something? Did you ever manage to find that human who escaped from Sugarcube Corner?”

At this, the ponies crowding the booth started to giggle. The memory of how Lyra acted at the bakery had made the rounds in Ponyville.

Turning to his partner, the greasy pony continued, “You should have seen it, Rabuf. There was this one pony passing through town in a shaved minotaur costume. Pinkie Pie throws him a party. All was going great until Lyra grabs this poor son-of-a-gun and starts screaming that she has a real-life human. It was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.” Mimicking Lyra’s voice, Filthy started to shake an imaginary pony while shouting, “I got a live one, Bon Bon. It’s the real McCoy this time, I swear.”

All the ponies started laughing hysterically. They remembered all too well what happened, and Filthy Rich’s description was very spot on.

Lyra fought back the tears of frustration welling in her eyes. “He was a real human. And that is a real troll. I can prove it.”

Ignoring the mare, Filthy called out to the crowd, “Who else wants a doll? Ten bits off to the first five customers. Come one, come all.”

The surge of ponies separated the two friends from each other. The last Lyra saw of Bon Bon was her friend’s black outline disappearing around the booth’s corner. “Bon Bon. No!” The unicorn gathered energy to cast a magic missile at the troll, but she was too late. The troll was no longer there, and too many other ponies were blocking her aim. Taking matters into her own hooves, she galloped to the rear of the booth and kicked open the door. She was just in time to witness her best friend turn into wood and shrink.

The troll for his part pulled at his beard in thought as the mint-colored unicorn froze in shock. “Uh, yeah, I’ll give you this doll for half off if you can keep this hush, hush.”

Snapping out of her world-shattering surprise, Lyra snatched the doll out of the troll’s hand with her magic and bolted out the door.

Rabuf cringed as the light-green pony ran into the night. Filthy was not going to be happy at the loss of repeat business.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Interesting, it would seem that Mr. Rich is the proprietor of the one who makes the wooden figures,” observed Princess Luna. The trio were standing some feet away gawking at the ponies swarming a large, gaudy carnival stand.

“Do you think he has any left?” asked Pip.

“He da-- . . .” Rotnart started to say, but a potent look from Luna made him clean up his vocabulary. “I mean, he darn well better.”

Sensing the troll’s anger, the alicorn asked, “Is everything alright, Rotnart? You seem more upset than usual.”

Before the troll could reply, an evil voice whispered, “Have her make you a path, you moron. She’s a princess. Use her.”

Pip saw the troll freeze with a stunned look on his face. “Oi, Rotnart. You okay? You look like you just drank a really cold slushy.”

The troll king blinked and rubbed his head. “I just had a brilliant idea. Princess, can you perhaps use your royal influence to get us close to that stand?”

Luna hesitated, “Yes, I suppose I could, but . . .”

“Oh, please, please, pretty please, princess. I’d really like to try and buy a doll,” pleaded Pip.

The alicorn sighed. “Oh, I suppose I can exert my royal privilege at least once tonight. Guards?”

With a single word, two bat-ponies descended to the ground without a sound. One of them drew an ebony trumpet and blew a series of low, mournful notes. As one, the crowd turned and parted to make way for the approaching alicorn and her entourage.

“Your Highness. How may this lowly servant serve you this lovely evening?” groveled Filthy.

Luna didn’t answer at first as she browsed through the assortment of wooden dolls. “These dolls are amazing, Mr. Rich. I’ve never seen such craftsmanship, not since the days of Sombra.” The Princess pondered this disturbing thought for a few moments before dismissing it. After all, those terrible days happened a long time before she was banished. Surely that old evil was behind her. “Who made these?”

“A young fellow from out of town. I found him coming from Granny’s hay maze, and I set him up here.”

“I’d like to meet this pony. Where is he?”

“He’ll be back pretty soon. I think he went to find an outhouse.”

Pip laughed. “I got the one I want picked out. It looks like Silver Spoon, and she’s getting the poo scared out of her. What do you think, Rotnart? Do you want one?” Hearing no reply, the foal looked around in the crowd for his new friend. “Hey, Princess, where’d Rotnart go?”

“I’m not sure, Pip. But he’s probably nearby. Come, the troll king shall find us at yon pumpkin chuckin grounds as we indulge in more fun.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After finishing his business, Rabuf started to make his way back to the stand. But before he could take a step, he heard a strange noise. “Pssst.” The troll looked straight up at the sky and saw nothing. He could have sworn it was a crocodile flying past. “Pssst!” There it was again, louder than before. This time Rabuf looked straight down. Was the grass talking to him? As soon as he bent down to listen, a large rock sailed over his head.

“Mother F#&$er!”

Rabuf looked up. He recognized that angry voice. Sure enough, there was his older brother, frantically gesturing his way. The younger troll smiled and bounded over to his older sibling. But instead of getting a hug like he’d hoped, Rotnart grabbed him and shoved him down a dark alley between two buildings.

“What in the name of all that is troll are you doing out there?” Rotnart asked, trembling with rage.”

“I’m turning opossums into little wooden opossums. I thought that’s what I was supposed to do?”

The troll king rubbed his hateful, bloodshot eyes. He drew a deep breath to calm himself. “Brother, I’ve seen some F#&*ed up $&*t in the past few days, and most of it was done by you. But what you’re doing out there, right now, is just sick. I would have never thought you’d sell the dolls back to their families and friends.”

Rabuf blushed. “Ahh, thanks boss.”

Rotnart shot forward, his vicelike hands linking around Rabuf’s throat. “That was not a compliment. Who told you to sell the dolls? Was it that asshole pony you were working with?”

Rabuf nodded as his brother’s grip tightened, choking off air to his brain.

“Troll King, there’s a problem,” declared the Pony of Shadows.

“You think?” spat Rotnart. “How many dolls did you sell, you traitor?”

Rabuf shrugged, since he couldn’t speak.

“Release him. Our enemies are gathering. If those six ponies join forces with Princess Luna, then our plan will be ruined beyond repair.”

The troll king let go of his brother who collapsed to the ground wheezing “Thanks, boss. My neck feels much better.”

Ignoring Rabuf, Rotnart asked, “How do you know where those ponies are? You’ve been about as useful as a one-legged cat trying to bury a turd this whole damn night.”

“The six have just now gathered together. Even in my weakened state, I can feel their energy from the castle. I suggest you two retrieve what dolls are left and head for the Tree of Harmony.”

Rotnart thought for a moment. “We’ll never make it, at least not both of us. Can you lend me your powers for a short time?”

There was a pause before the phantom pony replied, “Yes.”

The king turned to his brother and helped him to his feet. “Rabuf. Brother. I am going to ask you to do a very hard thing. Maybe the hardest thing you’re ever going to do in your life. But the future of our race is now in your hands. I need you to concentrate and pay close attention to what I’m about to tell you.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In a clearing at the very edge of Ponyville, DJ P0N-3 made the final adjustments to her Percussion Symphony 10000 Moon Mixer. Sitting down on the stage she and her helper had erected, she called over to her assistant, “Hey, Iron Will, you about done with the lights?”

“Yeah. Screwing in the last bulb now. If they can’t see the light, they’re not too bright.”

The DJ smiled as a thought occurred to her. “Hey, have you seen that guy in the shaved minotaur costume yet?”

Iron Will stopped what he was doing for a moment before picking up where he left off, “No,” he replied a little too angrily.

The unicorn smiled, knowing she had struck a nerve. “Hey, it’s no big deal. I was just wondering. I wanted to get his autograph for beating a legit minotaur in a hoof-wrestling match. That was epic.”

Nostrils flaring, Iron Will turned around and replied, “He got lucky. He must have been a unicorn in disguise and used his magic to dull my wits. If somepony cheats, make them weep.”

Vinyl Scratch nodded. “Yeah, there was something off about that pony. I mean, who dresses like that? That’s like the fourteenth weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.”

“Mark my words. If I see that, that cheater tonight, I’ll peel him like a banana and squish his gooey bits between my fingers.”

The unicorn raised her eyebrows. “Dang, Dude. Didn’t you have seminars or something teaching ponies how to chillax? Cause, I can see your head veins from here.”

Before the irate minotaur could reply, a mint-colored unicorn dressed in a denim vest and twill cap came galloping out of nowhere. She was grasping a creepy-looking doll with her magic. Seeing the two entertainers, she hurried over their way.

“Please, I need help! He, he, the troll turned Bon Bon into doll,” replied the distraught pony.

At this, DJ P0N-3 raised her sunglasses off her eyes. “What?”

“That troll, that thing that’s with Filthy Rich selling wooden dolls. They’re not wooden dolls, they’re real ponies. They were turned into dolls by the troll. We gotta stop him.”

Iron Will took a close look at the figure Lyra was carrying. He had seen Bon Bon earlier tonight, and this doll was a spitting image of her. “Take me to this troll.”

Vinyl Scratch looked at the minotaur in surprise. “Really? You’re going to check this out?”

“If somepony’s in trouble, all our problems double. Let’s go, Lyra.”

“Hey, wait up,” called the DJ.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Pip sighed as he watched Princess Luna load and fire a pumpkin-laden catapult. The vegetable hit the bull’s eye dead on. The little pony stamped his hooves with the rest of Luna’s adoring subjects, but his enthusiasm was gone.

“Fret not little Pip. I am sure King Rotnart will grace us with his presence again before the celebration ends.”

The foal looked up at his favorite princess. “You think so? I just don’t want him to leave without me getting to say goodbye first. I know he’s a foul-mouth git, but he’s a good friend. I mean, he was the only one who stayed with me waiting for you when everypony else had gone back to the party.”

Luna nodded in understanding. “A pony like that is indeed hard to come by. I am very happy that you got to meet him.”

“Me, too,” a familiar voice said.

Both ponies turned in surprise to see Rotnart coming down the road.

Pip galloped up to his friend and hugged him. “I thought you’d gone away, and I wouldn’t get the chance to say goodbye.”

The troll froze. He had not expected to be hugged. That was how his father had died, by a hug and a kiss from Ernest P. Worrell. Carefully, Rotnart patted the little pirate’s hat. “I wouldn’t do that to ya, kid. We’re friends.”

Pip looked up at the troll. “Hey, do you want to see my . . .” The foals words were drowned out by something very noisy coming up from behind them.

The troll king turned, and what he saw was like a blow to his stomach. The vehicle had changed since he’d last laid eyes on it. If anything, the truck of Troll Fighter One looked even more formidable as it sped down the dirt road towards him. It was as if a mad scientist had taken Worrell’s truck and made it ten times faster and meaner. As it came to a stop, a large group of costumed ponies gathered around to see what was happening.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Twilight’s breath caught in her throat. That troll was way too close to Princess Luna. And why was that foal hugging that monster? Swallowing her fear, she said to Scootaloo, “This is close enough.”

The foal nodded and stopped the truck. “Are you guys sure you can handle that thing?” Scoots asked, pointing at the troll. “This baby has some pretty sweet tricks under its hood.” The little pegasus patted the dashboard lovingly.

From the back seat, Rainbow Dash ruffled the driver’s mane. “Naw, we got this one, squirt. Just sit back, and keep the engine running. I wanna go for a ride when this is over.”

Unbuckling her seatbelt, Twilight examined the situation. Turning to the cyan pegasus, she asked, “Rainbow Dash, can you . . .”

“Stick this cup of ice cream up the troll’s nose? On it.” And with that, the flyer shot out of the truck’s rolled-down window, straight for the troll.

“No! Wait!” but the plea came much too late.

Quicker than a rattle snake, Rotnart brought up his arm and caught the pony by the throat. In desperation, the pony smeared the dairy treat all over the troll’s arm. Rotnart smiled. “Nice try, but the one-legged cat has cured me of that weakness.” These were the last words Rainbow Dash heard before she was turned to wood.

It took a moment before the realization of what just happened could sink in. This was all the time that Rotnart needed. Before the first shrieks of terror from the crowd could be screamed, the troll was already moving.

The king pivoted on his heel and launched himself at the night princess with speed that rivaled the Wonder Bolt Wannabe. Luna’s guards tried to intercept the attacking troll, but they were swatted aside as if they were gnats. Luna, a veteran of countless battles, recovered from this treachery and brought up a magic barrier to defend herself. But with one massive blow, the troll shattered the shield, and with the gentlest of gestures, touched Luna on the muzzle.

Nostrils flaring in rage, Luna blasted the troll.

The troll left enormous ditches in the earth where his hands slowed his momentum.

“Rotnart?”

The troll looked behind him. In the midst of dozens of ponies fleeing for their lives was Pip. He was crying and staring at him with the strangest of looks. He wasn’t angry, he wasn’t scared, he was heart broken. Clutching the Rainbow Dash doll in his little hooves, he asked, “Why?”

The king never got to reply. One of the lunar guards swept down and took the little foal away, just before a lavender beam struck the troll in the face. Spitting out a tooth, the troll dizzily got to his feet and was immediately shot back down by the lavender unicorn.

The troll tried to rise again, but a strong hoof pinned him to the ground.

“This is for Granny and Dashy,” yelled Applejack before she began to pound him into the dirt.

The pony reared up and brought her shod hooves down on the troll. Rotnart could feel something break in his chest.

“Wait,” the evil alicorn commanded.

The troll did as he was commanded and let the pony hit him again. He could feel his already abused face begin to buckle under the mare’s hooves. The evil alicorn’s power was drying up. His ally was close to collapse, funneling her power through their mind link. He felt every single one of his broken ribs, torn mucles, and pulverized teeth. He and the Pony of Shadows knew there was enough energy between them for one attack before he blacked out.

“Wait,” the same dark voice repeated.

“Applejack! Applejack! That’s enough!” a sweet, shy voice pleaded.

“Darling, please stop. He’s down; you got him.”

Rotnart looked with his hazy vision to see four mares. A pink, a white, and a yellow pony were all trying to wrestle the berserk orange pony off him. It was at this moment the troll noticed a wooden doll in the form of an old mare tied around the farmpony’s neck. No wonder she was mad.

“Now!” the Pony of Shadows shouted.

Surging forward, the troll touched all four ponies in quick succession and collapsed to the ground unconscious.

Pinkie poked the troll a couple of times before yelling, “We did it! Victory party at my place tonight!”

Rubbing her sore hooves, Applejack snarled, “When that critter wakes up, he’s gonna turn everypony back to the way they were, or else.”

Rarity nodded. “Well, that wasn’t so bad, was it?”

“It was pretty bad,” Fluttershy replied dryly. “I just hope we didn’t hurt him too badly.”

“Oh, no, not you too!”

The four mares turned to face Twilight.

“What’s wrong, darling?” asked Rarity.

“Look at yourselves.”

The mares did. Each one of them was ever so slowly shrinking and turning into wood.

Fighting down a wave of panic, Applejack nearly yelled at Twilight, “Sugar Cube, go get Princess Luna. She’ll know what to do.”

Her voice choked with sadness, Twilight replied, “She, she . . . can’t talk. She’s changing just like the four of you. I don’t know how to help her. All of my spells aren’t working.”

“What about Zecora?” asked Pinkie. “I bet she can whip up something that can help, or at least keep the termites away.”

Twilight seized upon this ray of hope like a drowning pony to a plank of wood. “Pinkie, you’re a genius. I’ll get one of the lunar guards to look after you. Just stay calm. I’ll be back with Zecora.” Taking off into the night sky, she scanned the town as quickly as she could. But time was against her, she had to find a costumed zebra in a town full of costumed ponies. Panic flooded back into the alicorn as she screamed, “Zecora! Where are you?”