• Published 11th Feb 2014
  • 3,351 Views, 160 Comments

Heat Death - ScottTrek



The heat death of the universe is inevitable, and Twilight's lived to see it. Nothing can stop the crawl of entropy, but maybe, just maybe, there's time for one last adventure.

  • ...
10
 160
 3,351

The Darkest Hour (Part 3)

"You're a bastard."

Shadow grinned at Twilights unexpectedly blunt insult. He leaned back in his throne like chair as Twilight dropped herself into the chair facing him. "Accurate and inaccurate i suppose, is one truly a bastard without any physical parentage? Of course if i'm YOUR shadow then i guess your also a..."

"Huh..." Twilight huffed, "Can we skip the name calling and posturing? I just wanted to make my mood clear."

“Heh, as you wish.”

Twilight took a moment to look around, the space-station was resolving itself better in her eyes now. She could still see through most of walls around her, though the shapes were still cutting into her retinas, and as far as she could tell the structure was a few miles long in every direction. Even in her ruined state her vision remained eagle eyed. Turning back to shadow she propped up her staff against her chair and stared at the creature before her.

Shadow seemed to be the one thing in the whole station that wasn't shifting and ephemeral, a stark contrast to how he normally appeared. Well... at least how she thought he had normally appeared anyway. That detail was yet to be seen.

Even then he still looked wrong, not wrong the way Nocturne and Umbra looked if they caught you off guard, he had the air of a perfect work of art. It plunged him past the uncanny valley and into some henceforth undiscovered 2nd hellish valley.

"So," Shadow said, watching Twilight as closely as she was watching him. "I'm curious Princess. How does it feel to you? Facing ones perfect opposite? Are you as excited as I am? Or are you...?"

"When I said I wasn't in the mood I was being serious." Twilight said, voice cutting across him slow and controlled. "No posturing. Besides we both know you're not really my shadow. Or if You are its only on a technicality."

"Hmm," Shadow mused, "Is that so?"

"Tell you what... I'll tell you I think you are and how we both got here. And you can act smug and tell me how close I am?"

"Oh you do know me!" Shadow grinned. He clapped his hooves and a pair of small robots entered from a side door, both looking like large metal pine-cones with numbers of metal tendrils sprouting from the plates in their shells. They carried in a tea set and started setting it up.

"My goodness," Twilight commented sarcastically, "You do actually have manners."

"Of course!"

Twilight merely scratched at her bandaged head in response. Her whole body was itching besides. What little she could still sense of her internal magics were going absolutely haywire. A few moments back something had tangibly squished in her lower gut. Suppressing her internal discomfort she instead politely took some of the offered tea and settled down to her explanation.